Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I think they mean they want a trade-off for bloody feet to be that your blood keeps BTs away. Which would be pretty cool, honestly.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
My treks across the mountains continue. Met the first prepper. I do not think getting his star will be enjoyable.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Squiggle posted:

I think they mean they want a trade-off for bloody feet to be that your blood keeps BTs away. Which would be pretty cool, honestly.

I'm pretty sure it does irritate them when they're on the ground but don't have it installed to check

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn the sound of the floating carrier on the zipline sure is annoying!

is there a trick to countering the enemy scanners? It says to hit mine at the exact same time but I rarely get it to work. Is there a tell based on the sound it makes or is the window just not that tight?

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 5, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

explosivo posted:

Goddamn the sound of the floating carrier on the zipline sure is annoying!

is there a trick to countering the enemy scanners? It says to hit mine at the exact same time but I rarely get it to work. Is there a tell based on the sound it makes or is the window just not that tight?

There's a visual cue. Your ping needs to collide with the enemy ping

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I guess probably has to be before their scan touches my cargo? I feel like I've done it right before but didn't get the message, but I'm probably hitting it just too late or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The timing is pretty generous but you don't want to just ping as soon as you hear the noise, there's a delay between the alert sound and when they actually send out their own ping. If you ping any time between after they send out the ping and it hitting you, it'll cancel it.

If you just can't get the timing down, there's alternatives that make it so you don't have to, as well - you can use the holo projector and the ping will just ignore you. It also does nothing in MULE camps if you aren't actually carrying any cargo (tools/weapons don't count, they specifically only care about cargo). There's also the Cyberpunk tie in sidequest where at one point you get an ability to disable perimeter scanners so you can just walk right past them without tripping an alarm.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 5, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! That's all great info. I don't think I realized the thing about them only detecting cargo and not equipment.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

You can also just jump over the enemy pings :getin:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

explosivo posted:

Trigger the security system, watch it's ping propagate and press RB right as it disappears.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Shinmera posted:

You can also just jump over the enemy pings :getin:

what

night slime
May 14, 2014
Yeah if you time it right you can jump over. I think the window is easier if you're on a hill and have the speed skeleton jump.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They'll still catch you on a zip line though. At least in the original release.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

night slime posted:

Not sure what you mean or if you mistyped but that is a thing. He leaves blood everywhere after if you run out of sandalweed or anything.

It's meant to tie into the next sentence where bleeding from his feet could have some gameplay benefit. People might decide to intentionally take their shoes off (self harm) to leave a trail of bloody footprints, which might discourage BTs from following them so quickly.

explosivo posted:

It is the return ping that you want to counter, not the one from the boundary. I think the return ping is sent out from the enemy who receives it from the boundary first.

I remembered that this function existed after playing it from the original release, but I forgot that it was an upgrade that you get later in the second area. I was trying to do it from the very start of the game and wondering why it wasn't working.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 6, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Does doing Firing Drills unlocks anything?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

My treks across the mountains continue. Met the first prepper. I do not think getting his star will be enjoyable.

My only good path to him is ziplines, but the route there starts at mountain knot and swings by mountaineer and spiritualist so its always a little bit longer of a trip than seems necessary. i really need him to connect to the network so i can get a fuckin zip network to his door and the main area going. First Prepper so stingy with stars too, he's not even asking for cool deliveries really, pretty basic-rear end poo poo but he keeps acting too cool for school. Join the network, jackass. nobody else is bringing u poo poo

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't say I expected the road I was building to the weather station to veer off into the mountains like that, lol. I haven't been to Mountain Knot yet (I do have the order to bring it online now tho) so I was surprised to the road going that way and not forcing you to take the one up north that goes to the crematorium.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol yeah that road is new addition and it's pretty wil how windy it is and how... teases you thinking it's a good weather station trip. I mean, it kind of is, you can take the road and then jump off of it at some point and there should be a bridge or two to help you get over the rocky slope to the weather station... but lol having to jump off the highway just to get to the logical local pitstop. Wish you could build ramps on the road because there's a spot where a ramp might get you pretty dang close to the station.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fortunately I discovered there's a way better path to take offroad up the side of the mountain to get a truck to the weather station so between the zipline and that it's not really super necessary. A ramp across that gorge would be sick though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Khanstant posted:

My only good path to him is ziplines, but the route there starts at mountain knot and swings by mountaineer and spiritualist so its always a little bit longer of a trip than seems necessary. i really need him to connect to the network so i can get a fuckin zip network to his door and the main area going. First Prepper so stingy with stars too, he's not even asking for cool deliveries really, pretty basic-rear end poo poo but he keeps acting too cool for school. Join the network, jackass. nobody else is bringing u poo poo

There are certain Preppers who's star ratings won't go up until you've read a specific a specific email from them. The First Prepper is super stingy with the first star and then the remaining just zip by. I'm pretty sure he's one that you're waiting for an email from.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

when I'm bullying BTs for their crystals is there any point in doing it on very hard? i've been thinking "no" up to now

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I don't think so, but it's not much harder and if you're playing on VH in the first place you might as well get a feel for increased detection radius and such.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh i mean the big slow hp sponges; my stealth game's pretty good already

or are the smallboys more profitable...? i always thought it was the bosses that gave the most crystals over time

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I gave up on Death Stranding kind of early, because I was trying to build my first roads, and I couldn't figure out how to see their resources needed when I wasn't there. So I would have to write down in a notebook with pen and paper how much I put into them, and how much I need. Then after a couple of months I heard about the Director's Cut so decided to wait a bit longer. Is there a way to track the resources available for a construction like a road, or do I have to still write it down in a notebook?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I gave up on Death Stranding kind of early, because I was trying to build my first roads, and I couldn't figure out how to see their resources needed when I wasn't there. So I would have to write down in a notebook with pen and paper how much I put into them, and how much I need. Then after a couple of months I heard about the Director's Cut so decided to wait a bit longer. Is there a way to track the resources available for a construction like a road, or do I have to still write it down in a notebook?

Hover over the paver on the map and it will tell you how much you need to complete it. Also will tell you how much health a structure has.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I really liked this game but never finished it. Like someone was saying before, i spent a lot of time building all the roads by myself, got to the part where you meet Mama, and then put it down because i was feeling a little burnt out on it.

I decided to give it a try again the other day and logged in to receive half-a-million likes.

Then, because i couldn't remember the controls or how to play i fell off a cliff and had all my cargo destroyed or carried off by the river. I tried to save scum...

and lost all of those likes forever because i forgot how the game works. Maybe I'll try again next year

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like doing Big Jumps instead of stopping to soothe BB now. I don't know which big jumps excite him specifically, but if you do a few in a row he always seems to stop crying faster than soothing, while also making forward progress. Not as easy to do in BT areas though, lotta times you're not allowed to skeleton sprint to big jump anyway.

Sliding down snow is also faster and more fun than holding on and trudging down. I should probably do it on floating carrier, but if i wanna beeline first prepper -> weather station, sprinting downhill dangerously isn't as dangerous as I always assumed!

I also got my first above 50% ranked order, the limit on using only 2 zip lines was a good limiter, I would've done better but I took a truck off a ramp right down into the weird crosses BT area and one of them eventually melted my truck and I had to wrestle out of puddle.

Snuffman posted:

There are certain Preppers who's star ratings won't go up until you've read a specific a specific email from them. The First Prepper is super stingy with the first star and then the remaining just zip by. I'm pretty sure he's one that you're waiting for an email from.

It was getting over that first star hump, i was reading his emails but since id gotten mediocre scores on his deliveries, i had to repeat a couple to him better to get the likes. It's is pretty funny how fast he goes from "heh yeah i like u so ill do the half join but gently caress all that crap" and then i walk away and he's like "teehee can i join i miss u." Now he's joined so he's spawning random packages and those are getting him up faster now. I think I can probably 5 star him tomorrow and then finally go see whatever story quest I left hanging for 80 hours.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

drat you first prepper i just wanted to build a highway :argh:

(e) seems getting the Spiritualist online is all that's needed, so at least I'm close

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 7, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

titties posted:

I really liked this game but never finished it. Like someone was saying before, i spent a lot of time building all the roads by myself, got to the part where you meet Mama, and then put it down because i was feeling a little burnt out on it.

I decided to give it a try again the other day and logged in to receive half-a-million likes.

Then, because i couldn't remember the controls or how to play i fell off a cliff and had all my cargo destroyed or carried off by the river. I tried to save scum...

and lost all of those likes forever because i forgot how the game works. Maybe I'll try again next year

lol I had almost this same experience this week except I’ve already finished the game so at least I wasn’t missing out on much.

I felt like playing something nice and chill so I reinstalled, loaded a save where I was doing a very big and heavy delivery to the mountaineer and promptly fell down the side of the mountain loving the whole thing up because I’d forgotten pretty much all the controls and lost all the relevant muscle memory to not go rear end over tit.

I turned in whatever I could recover then shut the game off again. That plat is just going to stay out of reach forever I guess.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I did pretty much the same thing in the postgame going for one of the “do a bunch of different delivery types on high difficulty” where I had to retrieve some cargo in between some BTs and the bottom of a really high and sheer cliff. Rather than fight through the BTs I scaled down the cliff using multiple ropes, stealthed to the cargo, scaled back up to the top of the cliff, and in my moment of triumph promptly fat fingered myself back over the cliff and fell to my death. Haven’t played since.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'd like to get 100% cheevs this time round, so all that is why i go to the menu and hit Save with religious fervour

Sam moves strangely sometimes on small ledges, especially when steadying with both hands

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any compelling reason to do all my 5*ing and other such stuff in Episode 15 instead of just hanging out at the end of Episode 8? I don't remember any specific rewards or changes from last time but it's been a while

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only issues I've run into with stars and trinkets is the cargo cover from The Collector not being offered to me until I was already in snowy mountains. I might have maxed him out too quickly.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i dont die to mules often, but when I do, its because my bolo gun wont fire because I accidentally gravity gunned a package and I stand there getting shot wondering why I cant friggin bolo this jerk and move on.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any compelling reason to do all my 5*ing and other such stuff in Episode 15 instead of just hanging out at the end of Episode 8? I don't remember any specific rewards or changes from last time but it's been a while

hahaha chapter 15?! so I have everyone at five stars except first prepper, who is stuck at 3 stars. I did a huge sweep for lost packages, couldn't find any and he has no more quests to give and couldn't find anyone else with one either. So I finally pushed on to what I assumed was the final quest, didn't sound like any new preppers over in cali. I'm surprised there are 5-6 more chapters to go now lol.

i was surprised i got an s-rank getting to tar belt quest, i literally got blasted by mules and had to clear out the camp to get my packages back and that obviously took time and did package damage lol.

As for the tar belt, was there any significance to the higgs reveal? Is he supposed to be someone sam knows, or just all creepshow stuff for his masks off speech and creepy licks. What's his friggin deal, I read his "unknown journals" and he started out as a deliveryboy but then very quickly got into terrorism and apocalypse-doing. I can buy that, who doesn't want to destroy the world sometimes. But why the licking, why he even care about teasing sam? Are these things the story will reveal, have already revealed and i forgot because it was 1.5 years ago, or is he just a freak who likes licking uhh bt tar?

also i forgot what the deal is with the jizz covered bodies hanging out in heartmans room?? Sam pushes one aside like its no big deal but i do not remember gathering cummy ghosts and if i did, why, and what, huh??

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Khanstant posted:

also i forgot what the deal is with the jizz covered bodies hanging out in heartmans room?? Sam pushes one aside like its no big deal but i do not remember gathering cummy ghosts and if i did, why, and what, huh??

those are BTs bukakke things

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

As for the tar belt, was there any significance to the higgs reveal? Is he supposed to be someone sam knows, or just all creepshow stuff for his masks off speech and creepy licks. What's his friggin deal, I read his "unknown journals" and he started out as a deliveryboy but then very quickly got into terrorism and apocalypse-doing. I can buy that, who doesn't want to destroy the world sometimes. But why the licking, why he even care about teasing sam? Are these things the story will reveal, have already revealed and i forgot because it was 1.5 years ago, or is he just a freak who likes licking uhh bt tar?

as far as i can remember, they're just goofy as hell in that way

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 8, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I swear any game I've ever played where some character is a weird licking-stuff freak there's never really a reason for it besides it's creepy. Just let it be known that if I am ever menacing someone with my tongue, it's because of a tragic backstoryyou only learn by doing all of my side quests.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Final sequence with Higgs is great.

The new underground place in the first map, you can't get all the way through it until later in the game, right?

night slime
May 14, 2014

Khanstant posted:

As for the tar belt, was there any significance to the higgs reveal?

There's some more backstory in the director's cut additional missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

night slime posted:

There's some more backstory in the director's cut additional missions.

If I am just now at the west side, right after said reveal, is this additional content upcoming or something I missed or already did (i have not visited collector or cosplayer in so so long but i did a sweep of everyone else before heading to this mission and didn't see any orders for sam tier quests and ive tried to make sure i've attempted, if not me a bot, each mission at least once.)