Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Because they are trying to sell CDs and mp3s I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I don't think you can even buy them as digital files, they're limited edition CDs by design

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought 1976 in Mp3s but that could have been after it sold out I guess.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey who are Dick and Dave? I never paid attention to who actually curates all the live stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hey who are Dick and Dave? I never paid attention to who actually curates all the live stuff.

Dick Lavalle was just some stoner who collected a bunch of tapes and cataloged them back when nobody was really doing stuff like that. He ended up turning it into a job with Grateful Dead records who were basically doing nothing with their archives. Dave was the guy who took over from Dick.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Dick Latvala was a tape trader and weed grower in Hawaii who became an archivist for the band because they just had unmarked tapes sitting in a warehouse (supposedly he used the weed to get access to the band, and became friendly enough with them that they asked him to work with them). Eventually he was able to parlay that into the Dick's Picks series because he was like hey, there's some awesome shows here in great quality but they're just hidden away. Funnily enough, given the merchandise behemoth they became, the band took a lot of convincing by Dick because this is out there for free anyway, why would anyone buy the shows?

Choosing what shows to put out became a big saga, usually because Dick would have a choice of show lined up and either someone in the band or someone associated with the band (like Bear) would veto it, or demand their bass solos be cut. He also clearly didn't care for much of anything past 78 and I think if it was up to him he would have only released shows between 68-74.

Dave became the video archivist, worked with Dick for a bit before Dick died and more or less took over the role after that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks, that clears it up.

Check this out. Really good show with Pigpen. I stumbled across it last night while I was listening to 3/28/72 and couldn't take any more of that particular night of Donna.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkznlP29TjQ

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Free Wolf Bros w/ The Wolfpack (strings and horns) for FREE tonight - 7 PM ET

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1507098574659719176?s=20&t=idPWirBpkm3fH0l4GXGOTg

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Noise Machine posted:

Free Wolf Bros w/ The Wolfpack (strings and horns) for FREE tonight - 7 PM ET

https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1507098574659719176?s=20&t=idPWirBpkm3fH0l4GXGOTg

Are these available to watch after? I'd love to see it but can't watch it live

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

Are these available to watch after? I'd love to see it but can't watch it live

If it's streaming through YouTube I should think they'll archive it as well. The others they've done are.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

If you're going to start listening to the Europe '72 shows then now is the time (though if you've already heard the opening show enough I guess you can start tomorrow).

Good news if you're on streaming services, they should all have time complete Europe boxset so there's no excuse not to listen to these great shows.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is the Europe '72 that's been around forever (ice cream guy cover) the one to start with? Looking through those volumes on Spotify, and they all seem to bounce around for dates. Is there a specific show for 4/7? All the stuff I find on Spotify is dated next month.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Is the Europe '72 that's been around forever (ice cream guy cover) the one to start with? Looking through those volumes on Spotify, and they all seem to bounce around for dates. Is there a specific show for 4/7? All the stuff I find on Spotify is dated next month.

Relisten app has all the shows there are tapes of, I think. Some of them sound like dogshit though.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
This is what Spotify has. All 22 complete shows.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Let's goooooo

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

First show down - Highlights for me were the Playin' & TOO jams, Mr Charlie, Wharf Rat and NFA/GDTRFB, especially when the call and response between Bobby and Pigpen start

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yes that Mr Charlie goes

And yeah that Playin jam is great.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 7, 2022

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Today has a super hot "Dark Star." Into that.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Dark Star, I bought this on bandcamp this morning, it's pretty rad https://plunderphonic.bandcamp.com/album/grayfolded

quote:

Taken from over 100 performances of Dark Star between 1968 and 1993. These are built, layered and 'folded' to produce one large, new re-composed Dark Star.

Oswald described it in the following way:

It's not a performably possible version of Dark Star. You can't have three generations of Jerry Garcias live on stage together - but there's this illusion of it being the Grateful Dead playing in concert.
And on another occasion. I've made a very unorthodox Dark Star but I haven't tried to submerge the performances under a lot of technique. I've tried to let the performances still speak for themselves.

I've also started the Europe 72 jag, really enjoyed yesterday's The Other One and Wharf Rat.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

trem_two posted:

Speaking of Dark Star, I bought this on bandcamp this morning, it's pretty rad [GRAYFOLDED]

I've also started the Europe 72 jag, really enjoyed yesterday's The Other One and Wharf Rat.

Oh wow. I was working at a record store when that thing dropped. It was everywhere and lots of old heads came in to listen to it or buy it. I was not really into the Dead back then so I never listened. I had always wondered just what the hell it was.

What do you think of it?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

The Dead launched their European tour without knowing how well it would do (And it was supposed to be bigger than it was until everyone settled on the more modest one we got) but sold out London right away (Tickets were only £1 then). They were originally scheduled to play the Rainbow Theatre, but it closed weeks before the tour started hence the Wembley Empire Pool.

I love the understated Sam Cutler introduction into a rousing 'Greatest Story Ever Told', before a fairly standard Set 1. 'Chinatown Shuffle' is pretty fun here and of course the 'China/Rider' is a highlight. It's good to hear Pigpen give lively performances given that his last performance with the band is about 9 weeks from now. His songs were always a good anchor point for the band and probably a nice palette cleanser for the audience. There's a pretty good 'Tennessee Jed', which is not a song I usually care for. Set 2 briefly comes into its own with an excellent 'The Other One' wrapped around a lively 'El Paso' before everyone is brought back to earth with 'Wharf Rat'. It doesn't have the lead in of 'Dark Star' as the performance later in Germany will (And what a pairing that one is) but this haunting, standalone performance of the song is a highlight of the whole tour for me. Also, it just sounds fantastic.

Set 2 ends with the band not exactly in a hurry, but I don't think they're too keen to stay. As the encore we get 'One More Saturday Night' and we should probably address this now: it's going to come up a lot. Bobby doesn't care what night of the week it is.

Night 2 opens with Sam Cutler letting us know that we can catch one of the later shows on Radio Luxembourg. Thanks Sam. Overall this is the better show of the two I think with the band giving multiple songs from the first night another go, even allowing for another 'Tennessee Jed' and a total flub of 'Bertha'. Set 2 highlights are 'Look Like Rain' (I'm a Bobby fan and there are dozens of us) and a all-timer 'Dark Star'. It isn't the psychedelic freakout of some versions, but a descent and crash nonetheless and when it all gets a bit too noisy the band find their way out of it again the clouds break into a beautiful final 5 minutes that segues into an explosive 'Sugar Magnolia'. If that had been the end then, well, what an ending. But we get an admittedly pretty good 'Caution' before sending the crowd home mild with a perfunctory repeat of 'One More Saturday Night'.

Overall a success! The band, and us, take a few days off and come back on the 11th. I don't know what the Dead did between now and then, but I hope they didn't spend all that time in Newcastle.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

hatelull posted:

Oh wow. I was working at a record store when that thing dropped. It was everywhere and lots of old heads came in to listen to it or buy it. I was not really into the Dead back then so I never listened. I had always wondered just what the hell it was.

What do you think of it?

I dig it, it's like listening to Dark Star on harder drugs than I would consume myself, heh. Like when the vocals come in and are deliberately hosed with it's super psychedelic, you're expecting one Jerry but wait there are 3 getting time stretched, etc. It's also works as fully ambient music for long stretches.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Welp - I guess if you wanted to go see Dead & Co, now's your chance

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dead-company-final-tour-1334902/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hoping this is like when everyone thought FTW was the end and Dead and Co was announced. Except now its Dead and Co equivalent with Billy Strings instead of Mayer (and I love Johnny Checkers, no hate)

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Perfect timing on ticketm....errr rolling stones part

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

Welp - I guess if you wanted to go see Dead & Co, now's your chance

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dead-company-final-tour-1334902/

They must have tried to play the songs even slower and couldn’t do it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BOB SAYS NO - https://twitter.com/BobWeir/status/1512539339594645506

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ah, he figured out a way to play Greatest Story Ever Told at funeral dirge tempo.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
After listening to today’s 72 show I am now finishing up the show on today’s date in 78 in Jacksonville. Really good, the Betty Cantor version is so good from just an engineering perspective. Really fun listening though some bass heavy headphones.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

One More Saturday Night is the worst Dead song.

I would say Playin in the Band because Donna just quit caring about being in tune every time they did it, but I’m probably gonna skip most of the Saturday Nights on this Europe 72 stretch.

Also, I was just thinking the other day that since Billy Strings came along I haven’t listened to Dead and Co at all and if he replaced Johnny Salami that would be ok with me.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 9, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Passenger is the only Dead song I really just cannot stand. Donna only makes it worse.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Passenger is the only Dead song I really just cannot stand. Donna only makes it worse.

It’s not a good one but in its favor there are bad songs that they played way more often

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

It’s not a good one but in its favor there are bad songs that they played way more often

Oh we're definitely in agreement there. For me personally though, even the shittier songs can have a tasty jam or lick or some sort of redeeming quality. Passenger is the only one I just truly hate (or at least in my 24 years of listening to the Dead, I have yet to find a version I like)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

Oh we're definitely in agreement there. For me personally though, even the shittier songs can have a tasty jam or lick or some sort of redeeming quality. Passenger is the only one I just truly hate (or at least in my 24 years of listening to the Dead, I have yet to find a version I like)

I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a Tennessee Jed that went anywhere or made me pay attention. And they played that song a LOT.

But passenger is a pretty bad song by almost any standard.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Playin in the Band at least had some performances with epic jams if you isolate them from the song itself

Those Donna wails though, oof

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

trem_two posted:

Playin in the Band at least had some performances with epic jams if you isolate them from the song itself

Those Donna wails though, oof

90s Playin’s only have Vince wails. Better? You decide

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Holy poo poo, that Dark Star->Sugar Magnolia->Caution run was extraordinary!

I think the last 5 minutes of that Dark Star may be one of my new favorite Dead moments.

Also, if you aren't listening along to the Deadcast this season (all Europe 72) you're missing a ton of great oral information. Wembley Pool was so reverberate they had to buy parachutes from an army surplus store to hang from the rafters so they could acoustically dampen the venue.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Bummer there isn't a euro 72' show today.

Though I got to listen to quite a bit of the skull & roses festival yesterday. Lots of fun music with the night ending with Dark Star Orchestra doing a set list from 4/8/1972, so awesome. The next two nights looks pretty stacked with some huge highlights too. The whole thing is streaming for free on Relixs youtube channel and fans.live

https://www.youtube.com/c/RelixChannel

https://fans.live/

Here's the lineup (Pacific Daylight Time)

Talk about a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dead Nerve posted:

Bummer there isn't a euro 72' show today.

Though I got to listen to quite a bit of the skull & roses festival yesterday. Lots of fun music with the night ending with Dark Star Orchestra doing a set list from 4/8/1972, so awesome. The next two nights looks pretty stacked with some huge highlights too. The whole thing is streaming for free on Relixs youtube channel and fans.live

https://www.youtube.com/c/RelixChannel

https://fans.live/

Here's the lineup (Pacific Daylight Time)

Talk about a miracle.

That’s the weirdest festival lineup I’ve ever seen