Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

New episode was cute. Also "She has a name!?"

I kind of like that the show is starting to bring the message that "Even the Bad Guys aren't necessarily bad guys." Except for Kikimora who is pretty much the worst.

Hunter isn't really evil, he's just had an incredibly hosed up upbringing. Even Darius, who we all pegged as kind of an rear end in a top hat among assholes has some humanity to him and wasn't going to be down with kidnapping children into the Emperor's Coven.

Another interesting bit was the relative indifference/hostility the Hexside students had toward the Emperor's Coven. In season one the Emperor's Coven folks were rock stars/superheroes and now, not so much. I wonder how much of that is coming from Luz and Eda influencing attitudes at Hexside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Everyone posted:

Another interesting bit was the relative indifference/hostility the Hexside students had toward the Emperor's Coven. In season one the Emperor's Coven folks were rock stars/superheroes and now, not so much. I wonder how much of that is coming from Luz and Eda influencing attitudes at Hexside.

Well with Lilith gone the Emperor's primary representatives are the psychotic hobbit and Hunter, who's popular perception varies from "kind of a dickhead" to "massive dork." The mystique of the Emperor's Coven is just gone now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved Bacha being all "You're not cute! I STILL HAVE MORE FRIENDS THAN YOU!" as Luz and Amity just completely ignore her. That was adorable.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Funky Valentine posted:

Well with Lilith gone the Emperor's primary representatives are the psychotic hobbit and Hunter, who's popular perception varies from "kind of a dickhead" to "massive dork." The mystique of the Emperor's Coven is just gone now.

I don't think Kikimora is exactly a representative for Belos. Like Hunter is his "right hand man" Kikimora is his "left hand man." If Belos wants a cool public triumph, he sends Hunter. If Belos wants some childrens' throats slit for the glory if the Titan he sends Kikimora because she's loyal to/terrified of him to the point of psychopathy.

Hunter replacing Lilith is interesting because I think Belos didn't really want to do that. He recruited Lilith by making a bargain with her to cure Eda. If Belos thought Hunter was ready, he wouldn't have bother to do that. With Lilith shown to be (to him) untrustworthy, Belos was forced to debut Hunter early.

Meanwhile one thing that's interesting/dumb about Belos is that he hasn't moved to capture/interrogate Luz about Earth. If we accept the theory that Phillip=Belos, then Phillip knows that some 450+ years have gone by and yet he hasn't moved to talk to Luz to find out what kind of changes have occurred on Earth since he was last there. If feels like Belos is being set up to suffer "Revival shock" ala Transmetropolitan

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Next week, Luz wakes up to find that things have taken a turn... For the diabolical

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It was good to hear from Viney again.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Madurai posted:

It was good to hear from Viney again.

Now she's only scarred emotionally.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
That was some goooood Owl House. Poor Luz. And poor Amity. Meanwhile Amity/Luz are still the most adorable couple.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the shortened final season is currently slated for May which means we won’t have long to wait after Season 2 wraps.

At the moment I’m gonna guess Luz ultimately decides to stay on the Boiling Isles (she’s found a place where she fits in, she’s got friends, a girlfriend, and a cool new mother figure whereas at home she’s an outcast and her mom specifically sent her away to camp so she could learn to be more “normal”)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 9, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Also apparently the shortened final season is currently slated for May which means we won’t have long to wait after Season 2 wraps.

At the moment I’m gonna guess Luz ultimately decides to stay on the Boiling Isles (she’s found a place where she fits in, she’s got friends, a girlfriend, and a cool new mother figure whereas at home she’s an outcast and her mom specifically sent her away to camp so she could learn to be more “normal”)

I’m sort of curious if we’re ever going to meet or hear about Luz’s dad though

I doubt that we'll actually meet the dad beyond what we've already seen.

I don't think that Luz will initially stay on the Boiling Isles due to her promise. I think she'll either go home and be so obviously miserable that her mom will let her go back or some weird magic shenanigans (Belos's Day of Unity) will suck Mom and V to the Isles and mom will see that Luz is happy there and likely go back to Earth and raise V as her daughter.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 9, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Oh yeah, now that I think about it didn’t a recent episode imply that her dad was dead?

Yeah, a very recent episode. This one. I mean, we kind of knew that Luz's dad wasn't in the picture any more given that Luz's mom was clearly a single parent but IIRC that was all we really knew. We didn't find out that her dad has specifically died until this episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

Yeah, a very recent episode. This one. I mean, we kind of knew that Luz's dad wasn't in the picture any more given that Luz's mom was clearly a single parent but IIRC that was all we really knew. We didn't find out that her dad has specifically died until this episode.

Ah ok, I hadn’t watched the latest episode yet and found out from looking it up just now. Nevermind then

Speaking of, how many episodes do we have left in Season 2 at this point? Considering the last season is only 3 double length episodes long I’m guessing some major poo poo is about to go down by the end of this one

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 9, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, I hadn’t watched the latest episode yet and found out from looking it up just now. Nevermind then

Speaking of, how many episodes do we have left in Season 2 at this point? Considering the last season is only 3 double length episodes long I’m guessing some major poo poo is about to go down by the end of this one

Based on IMDB we have seven left.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's weird that Luz didn't have more pics of her dad. I mean, he's clearly not that important a character since, you know, he's dead and all. But still, it's weird that her only pic had half his face.

Larryb posted:

7 left

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of get the impression that Luz takes after her father more and his death is likely part of why her mom is the way she is

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 9, 2022

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I really loved Amity's Mighty Mittens costume, the hair and glasses made her look more mature, which I imagine was the point.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It was a fun reveal that the Twins have been using glamours this whole time to jazz up their looks. Who wouldn't?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I Am Fowl posted:

It was a fun reveal that the Twins have been using glamours this whole time to jazz up their looks. Who wouldn't?

Especially at 16 because I looked like both of them at that age

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think the biggest revelation was that Warden Wrath has eyes after all

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I Am Fowl posted:

I didn't get the sense that it was necessarily an all the time thing, just for when they don't feel like going to all the trouble. Not sure why Edric would bother trying to lie about having it on today if they have them on every day.

Anyway, rip Luz's dad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that Alador is finally coming around to Amity's side. Between him finally listening to her and the twins getting interested in more experimental types of magic, it seems if her mother doesn't pull her head out of Belos' butt soon she's going to lose everyone. Because otherwise she's going to try to stifle these changes and they are going to resent it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Only 10* more episodes to go now (though the last 3 are double length) and with the pieces falling into place it’s looking hopeful they’ll be able to eke out a satisfying finale despite being screwed over by Disney (plus they’ve had time to prepare and adjust their plans accordingly)

*Unless the 7 episodes you guys mentioned include “Season 3” that is

I’m really gonna miss this series (and Amphibia which is also getting close to the finish line) but I believe I heard something about the Owl House creator trying to have things continue via spin-offs and other supplementary material (we’ll see how things go though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 11, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that Alador is finally coming around to Amity's side. Between him finally listening to her and the twins getting interested in more experimental types of magic, it seems if her mother doesn't pull her head out of Belos' butt soon she's going to lose everyone. Because otherwise she's going to try to stifle these changes and they are going to resent it.

I like that Alador seemed very accepting of Amity dating Luz, as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Now that the rest of her family’s seen the light in a sense I wonder if Amity’s mom has some hidden good side buried deep down as well or if she’s just a willing stooge for Belos through and through

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Larryb posted:

Now that the rest of her family’s seen the light in a sense I wonder if Amity’s mom has some hidden good side buried deep down as well or if she’s just a willing stooge for Belos through and through

I can see it being a thing where she would have been but when the rubber meets the road, she sides with her family if they're united again Belos.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I can see things ending in one of two ways:

1: The Boiling Isles stage a full scale revolt against the crown with Luz leading the charge

2: Belos gets exactly what he wants and chooses to live a peaceful life in the human world (though I kind of doubt it’ll be that simple)

Alternatively maybe he succeeds in wiping out wild magic and it falls to Luz to help pick up the pieces (or the two worlds get merged together somehow). Of course it could also be any combination of these.

Not sure who if anyone would take over when the emperor is gone though (Hunter or Lilith maybe? I’d say Eda but it doesn’t seem like the kind of job she’d really want)

Belos makes multiple references to “the Titan” and acts like he’s taking orders from it so I imagine that coming into play somehow as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 11, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The coven heads might start schisming as well given the Abomination coven head is on Hunter's side and rooting for him getting out more and Raine is currently brain-wiped, and some of the other coven heads, like the plant coven lady, are just assholes. Once Raine's memories are back those two might start making a bit of a mess themselves.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Comedy option: The terrifying reign of Emperor Hooty will soon begin

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Larryb posted:

I want this so badly.

Belos speaking about the "will of the Titan" or however it's phrased seems like an obvious feint, but makes sense in the magic realm since people have grown so accustomed to literally living on the corpse of the Titan. How they will play this out unfolding is of course a good question, Luz revealing the wizard behind the curtain, figuratively, or something more elaborate?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I suspect that the reign of Emperor Hooty would be surprisingly fair, benevolent, and competent.

None of this would stop it from being terrifying.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

I suspect that the reign of Emperor Hooty would be surprisingly fair, benevolent, and competent.

None of this would stop it from being terrifying.

That episode where Hooty helps everyone was but a glimpse of the terror to come.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the undercurrent that while the characters pay lip service to the conflict being about the fate of magic on the Boiling Isles, it's really not the focus. If magic is destroyed completely or allowed to run wild, or if the worlds collide permanently, it won't effect the true conflict. It's not a battle for the future of Magic, but for the future of the children of the Boiling Isles. If nothing else, with or without magic the dynamics would be the same. The Blights trying to control their children would still happen, as would their inevitable pushback. Eda and Lilith's blossoming relationship would still stand, as would King's adoption, and Hunter being under Bellos' thumb. The real stakes are what the children are allowed to do with whatever world is left. Will Amity's mother improve, or lose everything due to her pride? How will everything that's happened affect Luz's relationship with her mother, and V? Will King ever have the time or inclination to make good with his biological father, or has his father lost his chance forever? Regardless of what happens, THOSE and questions like it are the true stakes of the story, and everything else is basically secondary.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 11, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Honestly I think we've already seen her good side. She's just... misguided. Like, she clearly wants the best for her kids, the only problem is that she has her own idea of what the best is, like those parents in the real world who want their kid to be a doctor/lawyer/other high-status high-paying career. Once she gets it through her head (which might take some work) that the kids want to pursue different paths I'm sure she'll support their choices... in her own terrifying way.

And I'm positive she'll join the rebellion, if not for the rest of the family than for the comedic reason that Belos hosed with her business. She clearly did not like his goons coming in and shutting down her whole operation in the 2nd episode of the season, even if Belos is paying for Abomatons. The free market demands Belos' death.

I Am Fowl posted:

That episode where Hooty helps everyone was but a glimpse of the terror to come.

Everyone in the Boiling Isles will live in fear... of fear or any other negative feelings, because if Hooty senses bad vibes he will gently caress up your world trying to help.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though on the other hand she did basically try to murder Luz in order to help sell her company’s new Abomination, got Luz and her friends kicked out of school temporarily so they wouldn’t “influence” her daughter, and used telepathy to keep Amity in check all in the same episode but I imagine she’ll come around eventually (it just might be a harder sell than the rest of the family). But if not then her joining the rebellion out of spite like you suggested would at least be funny.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 12, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

I can see things ending in one of two ways:

1: The Boiling Isles stage a full scale revolt against the crown with Luz leading the charge

2: Belos gets exactly what he wants and chooses to live a peaceful life in the human world (though I kind of doubt it’ll be that simple)

Alternatively maybe he succeeds in wiping out wild magic and it falls to Luz to help pick up the pieces (or the two worlds get merged together somehow). Of course it could also be any combination of these.

Not sure who if anyone would take over when the emperor is gone though (Hunter or Lilith maybe? I’d say Eda but it doesn’t seem like the kind of job she’d really want)

Belos makes multiple references to “the Titan” and acts like he’s taking orders from it so I imagine that coming into play somehow as well

I suspect that 2 would actually be more like: Belos forsakes his magic to return to the Human realm and is immediately dropped into the noisy semi-chaos of a modern human city. Maybe Tokyo because, according to our own SA Front Page from over sixteen years ago

quote:

Tokyo is one of the scariest-sounding cities in the world. It's like a traffic jam at a pinball arcade wedged inside a dinosaur's rear end in a top hat. There are T-rex roars, beeps, honks, mechanical toots and a sound that I can only assume is robot ducks quacking madly. It is the background noise of a dystopian future where the world is ruled by giant autistic children and their mechanical minions.

Belos's story concludes with him getting committed to a mental institution for the rest of his life.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm thinking Belos's plans have almost certainly evolved into something much grander and more alarming than 'go back home where there's no magic any more'. The very existence of his empire should be pretty solid evidence of that.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
He might not survive without magic, dude's almost as old as Joe Biden

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
But yeah, at the very least I don't see him as wanting a demotion from being the god-emperor of his own nation, even if he hates everyone in it. Whatever the Day of Unification will be, I bet he plans to come out of it far more powerful than before - ideally at the expense of the Boiling Isles. He doesn't strike me as like Hordak from Princesses of Power, a sad, tired shut-in who's largely given up on the whole world conquest business and just wants to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm thinking Belos's plans have almost certainly evolved into something much grander and more alarming than 'go back home where there's no magic any more'. The very existence of his empire should be pretty solid evidence of that.

I took him sort of at face value and assumed he wants to "combine" the two different worlds somehow, ?????, profit, but I dunno if that makes sense with the kids' storyline. Cool Aunt Lilith's magic worked in the real world, right?