Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

alpha_destroy posted:

The Royals offense is not good. But they have 3 shortstops on their infield and that literally won them the game today.

First, Mondesi knocks a ball down that easily would have scored the Manfred Man if it made it through the infield, then Bobby Witt makes a diving stop and throws (kind of horribly to be honest lol) home to keep the game scoreless.

It’s helps when you’re playing one of the single most inept offensive teams in modern history.

Seriously, there are currently 4 players in the lineup that had trouble hitting in AAA and have starting roles on a major league team. Yu Chang belongs on a major league field as much as I do, Andres Gimenez and Oscar Mercado couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat, and Bobby Bradley has so many holes in his swing that he’s nearly an automatic out. Throw in Steven Kwan, who barley logged time in AAA and wasn’t exactly lighting it up in Akron last year and you have the makings of a dreadful offense.

The worst thing is they are utterly wasting a generational pitching staff. 5 young, amazing starters getting zero offensive support is a great way to blow their prime years. The front office had the means to sign Schwarber or Conforto or anyone else and simply chose not to, and that’s embarrassing. They knew they had a suspect offense at best and decided to pocket the money instead of actually signing major league talent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves getting their gaudy-rear end rings tonight

the pearl is a nice touch though

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1512932778148511748?s=20&t=MDMtN_I_MqOhIIkPH2DGKA

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Any team other than the Pirates would've shelled Mikolas for 4+ runs instead of just 2 today. Hopefully the Cards offense can keep up the 5+ runs per game the rest of the season with this pitching staff..

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

elentar posted:

Braves getting their gaudy-rear end rings tonight

the pearl is a nice touch though

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1512932778148511748?s=20&t=MDMtN_I_MqOhIIkPH2DGKA

Man how do you make *one* of these things, let alone dozens?

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

Rangers bad

Still

Trust 👏The 👏Process 👏

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Man how do you make *one* of these things, let alone dozens?

I don't know how many Atlanta's making, but the Cubs gave them to like, everyone involved in the org at all. Several hundred.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

GPTribefan posted:

Throw in Steven Kwan, who barley logged time in AAA and wasn’t exactly lighting it up in Akron last year and you have the makings of a dreadful offense.
Kwan’s at bats have looked good so far. He fights off pitches to avoid striking out and works counts well. He also hit AA and AAA to the tune of a .300/.400/.500 line at each level, although it was only about 350 AB.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

more falafel please posted:

I don't know how many Atlanta's making, but the Cubs gave them to like, everyone involved in the org at all. Several hundred.

1908 rings of various tiers

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

more falafel please posted:

Braves brass announced on the broadcast tonight they were doing the same.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
n:
https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/1512951100328005640

v:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Do we have a highlight/gif thread? We should think about having one if we do not. Anyway I'd just be very confused if I were the runner thrown out here.

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/1512927508156411906

e: better play than you realize at first by Salvy too because that throw to the plate is not exactly on target

https://twitter.com/CodifyBaseball/status/1512935093446209540

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 10, 2022

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1512957102800654340?s=20&t=Av63tRcxasrKr_q3fltPPw

Those are pretty tight. City connect jerseys are 2/2 so far this year.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1512885464818237443?t=GzcqfACZIxMZlF7qx4hXvw&s=19

Is this an insanely good pick off play or a balk? I legit cannot tell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1512885464818237443?t=GzcqfACZIxMZlF7qx4hXvw&s=19

It's kinda up in the air with lefties. Julio Urias also has a pickoff move that for all intents and purposes is a balk but it's basically never called.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

seiferguy posted:

Balk to me because his front leg crosses over, but also

Sydin posted:

It's kinda up in the air with lefties.

Yeah who knows.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looks like a balk to me but who am I to judge

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
he literally plants his leg forward towards the plate seems like a balk

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

maffew buildings posted:

he literally plants his leg forward towards the plate seems like a balk

It just doesn't really get called on lefties though. At best the umps are very inconsistent about it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

its absolutely a balk and I'm curious why the umps didn't call it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees really needed another starter and they didn't even try to go after Scherzer or Rodon. Just bad stuff.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 10, 2022

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
The ole 45 degree pick. My brother pitched through college and he made *a lot* out of that move. Absolutely a balk, but called very inconsistently.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Did anyone see the headlines on espn.com’s baseball page? The a’s-mariners link is…. Interesting

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hell yes, buying the poo poo out of these

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees really needed another starter and they didn't even try to go after Scherzer or Rondon. Just bad stuff.

Yet they are undefeated :agesilaus:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

Yet they are undefeated :agesilaus:

You think they have enough starters? Their 2 starters went 7 innings combined. The entire bullpen is going to have their arms fall off by the all star break......

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You think they have enough starters? Their 2 starters went 7 innings combined. The entire bullpen is going to have their arms fall off by the all star break......

No, definitely not. I completely agree they should have gone after another starter. Especially with Cole being human after not being able to use the sticky stuff.

I’m just basking in the moment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

No, definitely not. I completely agree they should have gone after another starter. Especially with Cole being human after not being able to use the sticky stuff.

I’m just basking in the moment.

Actually if you're higher on the team going into the year than I am you should be even more upset that they didn't get another starter because that legitimately could be the reason they don't win the division...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Actually if you're higher on the team going into the year than I am you should be even more upset that they didn't get another starter because that legitimately could be the reason they don't win the division...

As much as I give you poo poo, I do agree with a lot of what you say. I’m just more relaxed about the whole thing. I certainly think they CAN win the division, but they could have made it a lot easier on themselves by actually addressing their needs.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

No love for the Astros but those whip.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/mlberrors/status/1512570010434162688

Lol Gary Sanchez still up to the same old tricks in Minny.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ihatepants posted:

https://twitter.com/mlberrors/status/1512570010434162688

Lol Gary Sanchez still up to the same old tricks in Minny.

mcmagic nods sagely.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
It's happening!

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1513008335049531399

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Rays' mascot costume budget was a $100 Michael's gift card

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1512939107592380419?t=0_VOFyQxznU6c8X5n8BCcg&s=19

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kirios posted:

mcmagic nods sagely.

I don't hate Gary but I'm really glad I don't have to watch him every day anymore. God bless.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it's stupid and awesome :colbert:

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
the bottom half of the costume is in Montreal

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This is wild. Buxton has had 9 hits that increased the Twins win probability by at least 30%.

2 were walkoffs. The Twins are 0-7 after the others.

quote:

April 9, 2022, vs. Mariners: +45.2% WPA

Down one run with none out in the bottom of the eighth inning, Buxton hit a go-ahead two-run homer off Muñoz. Duffey blew the save and took the loss in the next half-inning.

June 12, 2019, vs. Mariners: +44.9% WPA

Down two runs with none out in the bottom of the ninth inning, Buxton hit a game-tying two-run homer against Anthony Bass, sending the game to extras. In the next half-inning, errors by first baseman C.J. Cron and third baseman Miguel Sanó led to Duffey allowing three unearned runs to take the loss.

April 21, 2021, vs. A’s: +40.4% WPA

In a chaotic, up-and-down game tied 10-10 in the top of the 10th, Buxton hit a two-run homer against Lou Trivino. Alex Colomé got two outs in the bottom of the inning, but back-to-back errors on possible game-ending plays by second baseman Travis Blankenhorn and third baseman Luis Arraez let in three unearned runs for a walk-off, 13-12 loss.

Sept. 17, 2016, vs. Mets: +34.4% WPA

With the score tied 1-1 in the top of the 11th inning, Buxton hit a solo homer against Hansel Robles. Curtis Granderson hit a game-tying homer off Brandon Kintzler in the bottom of the 11th and a walk-off homer versus Ryan O’Rourke in the 12th.

Aug. 8, 2020, vs. Royals: +31.2% WPA

Down a run in the fourth inning, Buxton hit a three-run homer against Danny Duffey to put the Twins up 4-2. They lost 9-6, as relievers Cody Stashak, Sean Poppen and Lewis Thorpe combined to allow seven runs and got nine outs.

Sept. 4, 2016, vs. White Sox: +30.8% WPA

Down four runs in the second inning, Buxton hit a game-tying grand slam off Anthony Ranaudo. They lost 13-11 in 12 innings.

Sept. 3, 2017, vs. Royals: +30.6% WPA

Down a run with two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning, Buxton hit a two-run single versus Ian Kennedy to put the Twins up 4-3. In the next half-inning, Alan Busenitz allowed a two-run triple to Lorenzo Cain. They lost 5-4.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

RCarr posted:

Especially with Cole being human after not being able to use the sticky stuff.

That prompted me to check in someone else who went from elite to dropped from the rotation around when the sticky stuff crackdown began.

quote:

Kikuchi hit two batters in the first inning today, prompting a mound visit, but he was mostly fine afterwards.
Guess he’s fifth in the Jays rotation now with a three-year, $36 million contract?

I mean nothing against the guy but that was unexpected.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

seiferguy posted:

all left-handed pickoff moves are balk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

all left-handed pickoff moves are balk

For real. Its absolutely ridiculous that they don't have to take their foot off the mount like righties. Now that the universal DH is rightfully enshrined this is the current Most Egregious lovely Rule.