Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gak doesn't run 20k dollars an ounce

Not boring mass market gak, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Milo and POTUS posted:

it might if you order it from NIST

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
reference gak

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the international prototype of the kilogak

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Research Grade Gak, yes

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

infernal machines posted:

it might if you order it from NIST

reminds me that there is NIST reference weed piss

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
when i start smoking again the first thing i'm gonna do is order a carton of NIST reference smokes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
the absolute standard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cheaper than I expected actually. Looks like two cartons is $446. That's way less of a markup than the $800 peanut butter

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Styling it out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
this is old news, theyve been making helmets to fight depression for decades

like this one:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

well, that kid certainly doesn't look depressed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Styling it out

isn't this the thing tori started mocking subjunctive for participating in a clinical trial of?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Styling it out

Does it kill you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it has a 100% success rate, either way, you are no longer depressed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alan Smithee posted:

Does it kill you

I seriously expected that shotgun helmet

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/coeluh/status/1512318366182219778

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

same, but my pointvue chimney is from a factory that shut down in the 60s

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rip to a real one, the nakagin capsule tower is on the chopping block.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

call me back when it runs doom.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Brand-new to YouTube, absolutely incoherent if you're not a J-speaker (and probably only marginally less so if you are)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0yCrNRUBVg

There is a single Letterboxd review to give a sliver of context

https://letterboxd.com/film/skin-5-video-mix-mmm/

quote:

Skin #5 Video Mix M.M.M.
Directed by Norimizu Ameya

Synopsis:

A young man discovers a floppy disk hidden in the urn that houses his father’s ashes. He and his friends access the floppy disk, which asks them a series of questions. Upon successfully answering them, two bizarre figures appear with body parts hanging out. The young man is also reunited with his dead father whose mind and soul seem to have possessed a giant, terrifying machine.

Review:

I feel incredibly lucky that I was able to see this. Fellow Osaka-bound expat filmmaker, Guy (of Difficulty Breathing fame), had just bought this extremely expensive holy grail tape titled Skin #5 Video Mix M.M.M. He knew little about it, simply because there is so little about it online. But it appeared to be a filmed theatrical production directed by someone connected to Shozin Fukui's Rubber's Lover and something of an early cyberpunk effort. Even that extraordinarily mysterious introduction was not enough to prepare for the lunacy awaiting us.

Skin #5 Video Mix M.M.M. starts with a somewhat tacky opening that reeks of theatre despite its rather dynamic cinematography. Hip hop blasts as some guys dance about a stage and introduce themselves to the audience (or lack there of). But things quickly take a turn for the insane when an urn is delivered to our main character. The urn contains the ashes of his father and a concealed floppy disk. YEP. They fire up the floppy disk using some VR-looking goggles. A green screen flickers to life behind them as they're asked a series of questions. Upon successfully answering them (I think), two freakish figures appear and the film takes a turn into cyberpunk. One of the lunatics has an eye patch and painted on moustache, the other has what appears to be an anus or deformed penis hanging from his/her mouth. Both have bodies covered with torn up innards and sport some very sadomasochistic outfits.

Things only get more befuddling and complicated from there (it didn't help that there were no subtitles and a lot of fast-talking dialogue). A giant machine with a TV face shows up. This seems to be the electronic reincarnation of his father. There's violent fights and a smattering of gore. The mouth-anus thing is shoved down someone's throat. The score groans and throbs like something out of The Shining. By its end, I had no idea what was going on, but I knew it was something I liked. Seeing something as obscure and wild as this was pretty exciting. It also makes me salivate at the thought of more stuff like this existing, gathering dust in people's cupboards, waiting to be unearthed. Magic.

The director starred later in the (by comparison) more well-known early cyberpunk video RUBBER'S LOVER, but that was seven years later, so this is early work.

A curiosity only, but rarities are always worth at least a look - I was hoping to see who did the 'Chu Ishikawa'~esque clattery industrial music near the end of the tape, but there isn't even an IMDB for this.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 10, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

:stare:

big "we let the youth club use the video camera" energy there.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Styling it out

so the woman at the back's the depressed one there right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the helmet covers your eyes so she cant harsh your vibe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, she's not wearing the helmet, so it stands to reason she'd be depressed. maybe it's her turn next

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

someone found a use for hololens

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1512050023021826055

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the actual Cool Police irl

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the actual Hot Cops irl

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/PerfectlyShots/status/1512855265552781317?s=20&t=X3j3eoZeNz1nlWhtk2qTyA

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Shanghai is definitely in the cool zone now

https://twitter.com/aliceysu/status/1511558828802068481?s=20&t=pkGoBt3TzLhatFsium5XuA

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Alan Smithee posted:

the helmet covers your eyes so she cant harsh your vibe
rated against dogshit vibes, but if the vibes are absolutely hosed you need a full suit per osha

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Brand-new to YouTube, absolutely incoherent if you're not a J-speaker (and probably only marginally less so if you are)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0yCrNRUBVg

There is a single Letterboxd review to give a sliver of context

https://letterboxd.com/film/skin-5-video-mix-mmm/

The director starred later in the (by comparison) more well-known early cyberpunk video RUBBER'S LOVER, but that was seven years later, so this is early work.

A curiosity only, but rarities are always worth at least a look - I was hoping to see who did the 'Chu Ishikawa'~esque clattery industrial music near the end of the tape, but there isn't even an IMDB for this.

amazing find.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
poo poo now i want to see the previous four

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BWEWEWEWEWE

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Midjack posted:

amazing find.

it's certainly something. shades of tetsuo the iron man if it had been made by a youth theatre group and extras from Lexx. it's very japanese, and does the thing a lot of japanese media does of portraying tension and action by just having characters shriek loudly and repeatedly, which is kind of grating after a bit. but it's nothing if not unique

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 10, 2022

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMue60Gg6s

quote:

Val Kilmer, the star of movies as wide-ranging as Top Gun, Batman Forever, Heat, and The Prince of Egypt, withdrew from the public eye following a throat cancer diagnosis and two tracheotomies which left his ability to express himself vocally severely impaired. He now speaks using a voice box.

"Speaking, once my joy and lifeblood, has become an hourly struggle," Kilmer wrote in his 2020 memoir I'm Your Huckleberry, describing his voice as "Marlon Brando after a couple of bottles of tequila. It isn’t a frog in my throat. More like a buffalo."

But now, fans of the actor are able to once again hear his voice. Kilmer—who is returning to the big screen in the long-awaited sequel Top Gun: Maverick later this year—has partnered with tech company Sonantic to generate a version of his speech using artificial intelligence, based on existing footage and recordings of his voice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the actual Cool Police irl

"haha take a chill pill man"

*chill pill is a placebo*

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that reminded me; did they finish ebert's voice before he passed? i want to say yes but he opted to keep his generic british tts one

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.