Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
It's really difficult to convince myself to wear anything other than double batteries on my backback especially since they take up all of the slots nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I can never go without five nade pouches, they just take up so much space otherwise (I don't have the big ones yet on this run).

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 10, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

the long and safe jumps from the stabilizer and the way-lessened balancing i have to do are mostly worth it - especially now the chiral network's done (veteran porter aside), i can just drop a pcc1 for a generator where the hell ever. and anyway, the only times i've gone into red or empty battery were the evo-devo biologists' pickup in BT territory, and the encounter at edge knot

got a large grenade pouch and a utility pouch(lol), fills the whole pack neatly

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 10, 2022

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Backpack upgrade wise, I came around from finding the ammo box pointless to loving the thing on replays. Even if I think you could only fit a single small grenade pouch next to it and the battery?

I tried it then stopped at first because the extra ammo on "regular" guns felt very lackluster for how big the item was. Then I later realized it is practically double BT gun ammo, and I love that thing even with the obvious issue of "Way more ammo than you have blood"

That and now having foreknowledge of a short term spoiler the Ammo Box can smooth over a little, even if you prefer grenades. There is a segment where you can't craft items.. So it went from something ignored, to loving it. That and if I run out of blood, friendly ghosts will be spamming blood boxes anyways. If I run out of level 2 BT gun ammo, friendly ghosts will be spamming EX grenades :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

anyone know what that gold(?) medal is, next to my total porter grade?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Those ranked deliveries maybe? Haven't tried one yet myself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ohh yeah, I tried exactly one at the start of the game, and that order just expired today. Thanks

(e) Got like 4000 metal for it too - not really useful post-game, not that much is :shobon:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
another pizza order

ugh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

another pizza order

ugh

Keep on keeping on! The payoff is worth it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does the PC version of the Director's Cut make use of the full haptic feedback if I use my PS5's Dualsense? PC upgrade is £8 vs the PS5's £30 and the haptics sound incredible. Google says one thing but Reddit says another.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Pierson posted:

Does the PC version of the Director's Cut make use of the full haptic feedback if I use my PS5's Dualsense? PC upgrade is £8 vs the PS5's £30 and the haptics sound incredible. Google says one thing but Reddit says another.

It does! And it's really great. Having a heavy load and holding on to your straps is actually exhausting, since the triggers really push against your fingers. It rules.

Also you can feel every little step you make in the haptics.

Just make sure to: connect via USB cable, and turn off Steam's dualsense controller support in big picture.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

What exactly triggers the last pizza mission? I'm trying to do it as early as possible this time but I'm not sure when that is.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Black Griffon posted:

What exactly triggers the last pizza mission? I'm trying to do it as early as possible this time but I'm not sure when that is.

The pizza missions are triggered alongside storyline progression, so you can't miss them with side content, but you also can't just wait for them to show up without progressing the main story. The final one is no exception.

I'll just say this for the last one: stay toward the north/due west on your approach, rather than coming up from the south

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Aoi posted:

The pizza missions are triggered alongside storyline progression, so you can't miss them with side content, but you also can't just wait for them to show up without progressing the main story. The final one is no exception.

I'll just say this for the last one: stay toward the north/due west on your approach, rather than coming up from the south

Oh yeah, I'd just forgotten where in the story it's unlocked, but now we're cooking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Oh yeah, I'd just forgotten where in the story it's unlocked, but now we're cooking.

when i did this order i remember thinking "wait wasn't there supposed to be a wine bottle for this one too?" being able to just zipline it 90% of the way was oddly disappointing tbh, i was all geared up for at least a tricky walk back to the roads

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

With Everything Going On I was honestly pretty relieved it was easier. It felt like an epilogue more than a final mission, and that was alright (and that's kind lf what it is too).

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have beaten the game. We'll see if I'm tempted to get the director's cut.

....chapter 9 has a dude repeatedly call themselves the final boss and by god the game just kept on loving going after that, huh?

I enjoyed this game. Wish the story wasn't slammed and crammed into the backend.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Shinjobi posted:

....chapter 9 has a dude repeatedly call themselves the final boss and by god the game just kept on loving going after that, huh?

I enjoyed this game. Wish the story wasn't slammed and crammed into the backend.

Director's Cut has a re-cut ending that way WAY better paced in my opinion.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what exactly did they change there anyway, it's been long enough since i beat the OG that i can't remember how it was different

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That feeling when you hit 0-1% ranking in roadster long course, go to sleep and wake up to being pushed to 50-60%.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah speaking of those are the upper ranks just straight-up cheaters? I managed to hit 1-10% in the grenade drill and 10-30% in the gun one by switching to mouse and keyboard but 1% feels like an impossible gulf.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

Yeah speaking of those are the upper ranks just straight-up cheaters? I managed to hit 1-10% in the grenade drill and 10-30% in the gun one by switching to mouse and keyboard but 1% feels like an impossible gulf.

Yeah, there's a lot of that in this game.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Pierson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6F6zm81wLc

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I started playing this and have maybe 10 hours in it, around part 3 or so (last time playing I think I stopped when I had to deliver some girl to another crazy guy's bunker). I'm still not super excited to play it because it just feels like fetch quests repeatedly. Is the story worth continuing (it seems interesting, the setting is unique and I like sci-fi stuff) despite the game not being super fun for me so far? Does anything really change much in the formula from here? I'm at the point of deciding to continue playing for however many hours or watching a youtube plot summary.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

somewhere in parts 3-5 (i forget where) you get access to speed legs, and eventually ziplines; that's probably about where i'd give up if those don't entertain (use speed legs to do sick jumps and get a huge running start when decking a MULE)

as for plot, i enjoy it, but i ain't gonna say it's good. the majority of the real plot is extremely back-loaded, and the writing mostly never gets better. in any case i wouldn't play the game for it were i not having fun leaping across chasms with floating carriers in tow and performing cargo-kata warcrimes

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 9, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you aren't enjoying the traversal and fetch questing of the game, I can't imagine the new tools you get to use in fetch questery will excite you. Sounds like you'd be happier watching a story recap than engaging with it yourself. I suppose the game probably flows very differently if you just do story quests, and the missions in story tend to have the most excitement to them as well as being a super minority of content. I've played hundreds of hours and most of that is me being a human zipline delivering packages because I need the likes man.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Khanstant posted:

I need the likes man.

I took a couple weeks break from this game around what i think is roughly the halfway point. When i tried to come back to it I immediately fell off because i forgot how to play, messed up, tried to save scum, and lost like 100k likes

Then when i tried it again a few months ago i did the exact same thing and it cost me almost 600k likes and i was very sad about the likes

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Suburban Dad posted:

I started playing this and have maybe 10 hours in it, around part 3 or so (last time playing I think I stopped when I had to deliver some girl to another crazy guy's bunker). I'm still not super excited to play it because it just feels like fetch quests repeatedly. Is the story worth continuing (it seems interesting, the setting is unique and I like sci-fi stuff) despite the game not being super fun for me so far? Does anything really change much in the formula from here? I'm at the point of deciding to continue playing for however many hours or watching a youtube plot summary.

Fetch questing is the game, if you’re not enjoying negotiating the terrain while trying not to let the improbably large and heavy pile of cargo on your back tip you over, then there’s not much point in continuing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

titties posted:

I took a couple weeks break from this game around what i think is roughly the halfway point. When i tried to come back to it I immediately fell off because i forgot how to play, messed up, tried to save scum, and lost like 100k likes

Then when i tried it again a few months ago i did the exact same thing and it cost me almost 600k likes and i was very sad about the likes

haha when directors cut came out first thing I did was fall off a goddamn mountain and tumble further than I knew was even possible. Luckily, it was merely the non-directors cut version an i had alreayd prepared my transfer

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Norman Reedus pretty much confirms Death Stranding 2 is in development:

Norman Reedus posted:

"It took me maybe two or three years to finish all the MoCap sessions and everything [for the first game]. It takes a lot of work. And then the game came out, and it just won all these awards, and it was a huge thing, so we just started part two of that."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sweet. I'm kind of hoping for a new playable protagonist though. Maybe Lou.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Havent played the directors cut because its not on PS4 but apparently the new plot missions just raise more questions than answers so part 2 doesn't seem too unlikely.

I'm just wondering if the gameplay will remain the same. Just more options and maybe more dynamic world?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'd like a Mars or IO environment

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'd like a Mars or IO environment

Weirdly DS2 will be set in Iceland but ironically will have a Martian climate

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Shinjobi posted:

I just got the director's cut the other day on the PC. Took me a little while to remember how to do things, but it's coming back pretty quickly.

Was just trying to get the new structures and then got sidetracked building new roads.

The catapult is fun and came in handy to throw stuff over a small cliff that I could climb, but not drive.

I forgot how much I dislike the lack of torque that these electric vehicles in the game have.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Turmoil posted:

I just got the director's cut the other day on the PC. Took me a little while to remember how to do things, but it's coming back pretty quickly.

Was just trying to get the new structures and then got sidetracked building new roads.

The catapult is fun and came in handy to throw stuff over a small cliff that I could climb, but not drive.

I forgot how much I dislike the lack of torque that these electric vehicles in the game have.

Yeah the driving controls get me really pissed off at times. loving trucks in snow....

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Since part 2 has been kind of confirmed I wanna see some wacky flying poo poo added.

Give me a jet pack with two thrusters controlled by the shoulder buttons so I can either learn to fly properly and get around a little easier or gently caress it up hilariously and spiral Sam into the sky and then down to his immediate death.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The S in Strand stands for Sand

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I have no idea where they could even go with a sequel for Death Stranding. Gameplay-wise, sure they could add more gadgets, more terrain, more vehicles, all that sort of thing, but story-wise it would be very weird to see "the further adventures of Sam Porter Bridges" when the whole setting of the game was very specifically designed around the one exact story they wanted to tell with it. I mean it's Kojima so he'll probably come up with some new crazy thing for the story to be about based on a random article he read five years ago but it just seems so much more self-contained as a story than any of the MGS games ever were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

Yeah the driving controls get me really pissed off at times. loving trucks in snow....

if i ever ran into any orders with enough cargo that i'd need a truck in snow i'd scream in horror

jump ramps, two floating carriers and a stabilizer, that's the way, and drat them anyway if they wanted me carrying more than that in the powder :colbert: