Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Justy was pretty terrible when it was new. I don't think it's any better 30 years later. I'm not sure what the attraction is here.

That one seems to be in pretty nice shape, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

$13k is insanity tho. Probably got it for $1k at an estate sale.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

$13k is insanity tho. Probably got it for $1k at an estate sale.

Yeah, I guess in the same way prices are making more scam cars come in the marketplace, it is also attracting "collectible" cars?

Lotta quotation marks around "collectible"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oYo0FAke8E

Mr. Regular is selling his Sera on Cars and Bids

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rbyYzkwQ/1995-toyota-sera

The main attraction (aside from being well kept) is that it is a standard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

About two weeks ago I saw a white C4 ZR1 on the 826.

…With a trailer hitch.

:banjo:

I’m going to believe the hitch is for towing the trailer with race tires for autocross.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, I guess in the same way prices are making more scam cars come in the marketplace, it is also attracting "collectible" cars?

Lotta quotation marks around "collectible"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oYo0FAke8E

I’d say the main attraction is that they’re practically nonexistent in the US, no matter how common elsewhere.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So honest question: With cars like that which have, afaik, never had a LHD variant, how do you deal with getting the headlights approved?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

So honest question: With cars like that which have, afaik, never had a LHD variant, how do you deal with getting the headlights approved?

Hope that they're old enough that they use a standard sealed beam of some kind. Or that the housings can be separated and retro fitted with a LHD cut-off projector.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

About two weeks ago I saw a white C4 ZR1 on the 826.

…With a trailer hitch.

:banjo:

To pull a... AirStream? Double JetSki trailer? Isuzu Trooper to drive around the trailer park?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

Approved by whom and for what?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Don't be a square and go for the boring Subaru with that power plant, go for something that really pops.

Nebakenezzer posted:

We had one of those, including the manual.

The Toyota Sera is supremely cool, but it was designed for professional women in Japan. That's why that brochure he has is filled with stylish women, it is literally a fashion accessory. It lives and dies by its doors. By virtue of it being light and small I can see arguing it could be a sports car, but it really is just a Paseo/Tercel with neato doors at its core no matter what the compression is at. It's the easiest way to maintain a sick awesome car for any local car show you'd like to go to. The 5 speed does fundamentally change the car's personality but that's kind of the same with *any* car.

slidebite posted:

Throatwarbler posted:

Approved by whom and for what?

Yeah so check this out: In the USA if your state/county doesn't inspect for headlights then you don't have to. Straight up.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KakerMix posted:

Yeah so check this out: In the USA if your state/county doesn't inspect for headlights then you don't have to. Straight up.

My guess is that the VAST majority of people who inspect anything like that are just going to be all like "head lights work? Yup? Pass".
And not know or not give two single fuckin shits that they "point up to the left" when turned on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I can't speak for elsewhere, but supposedly Alberta inspections specifically mention headlight pointing for RHD vehicles. I assumed other North American jurisdictions would be similar but that was apparently an incorrect assumption.

quote:

Purpose of Inspection

Imported right-hand-drive vehicles were never built for or intended to be driven on North American roads. Therefore, they may have equipment and parts that pose a danger to the driver, passengers, and the public. To ensure the safety of the travelling public, a number of modifications may have to be made to the right-hand-drive vehicle before it can be allowed to operate legally on Alberta highways. For example, headlights that tilted toward the ditch and would now tilt toward an oncoming driver. These headlights may have to be replaced.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

slidebite posted:

I can't speak for elsewhere, but supposedly Alberta inspections specifically mention headlight pointing for RHD vehicles. I assumed other North American jurisdictions would be similar but that was apparently an incorrect assumption.

On the Top Gear where they took (crappy) RHD performance cars on the autobahn they just used stick on blockers on the Sierra. Won't make the beam correct, but it'll stop it from blinding other drivers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dissss posted:

On the Top Gear where they took (crappy) RHD performance cars on the autobahn they just used stick on blockers on the Sierra. Won't make the beam correct, but it'll stop it from blinding other drivers.

Yeah when my family drove our UK car on French roads in the early 90s all we had to do was apply some stickers. But you sacrifice brightness and it's actually good to illuminate the curb side so I think if you possibly can you should get your lights properly adjusted or replaced.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

now i can live the dream of every self conscious 16 year old goth girl

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

now i can live the dream of every self conscious 16 year old goth girl

I'm not sure where it came from, but I've always wanted to remake a hearse into a camper.

KakerMix posted:

We had one of those, including the manual.

The Toyota Sera is supremely cool, but it was designed for professional women in Japan. That's why that brochure he has is filled with stylish women, it is literally a fashion accessory. It lives and dies by its doors. By virtue of it being light and small I can see arguing it could be a sports car, but it really is just a Paseo/Tercel with neato doors at its core no matter what the compression is at. It's the easiest way to maintain a sick awesome car for any local car show you'd like to go to. The 5 speed does fundamentally change the car's personality but that's kind of the same with *any* car.

Sweet. As someone who once owned a late 80s toyota, that is more appealing to me than you might think

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 10, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My first car was a 92 Tercel and I later owned a 92 Paseo for a bit so the Sera is deeply tempting to me.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I thought the paseos were kinda neat looking at the time, and even remember seeing a convertible one at one time. Was that a factory thing or aftermarket? The convertible paseo?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

The convertible paseo?

Cuba quit using that a few months ago.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

I thought the paseos were kinda neat looking at the time, and even remember seeing a convertible one at one time. Was that a factory thing or aftermarket? The convertible paseo?

There was a factory convertible second gen Paseo, but they were pretty rare as the second gen was 96/97 only, and IIRC convertibles were 97 only.

opengl fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 10, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This thing is sitting at $2050.

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=34349

It could have been friends with the blown engine SVX :(

Idling at 2k with no check engine light, what do you figure that means? And what's the deal with the airbag between the column and steering wheel?

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 11, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Totally.

I still have a dream of finding a totaled 996TT that somehow goes under the radar and I'll put the Mezger in my C2.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

put the Mezger in my C2.

:swoon:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Powershift posted:

This thing is sitting at $2050.

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=34349

It could have been friends with the blown engine SVX :(

Idling at 2k with no check engine light, what do you figure that means? And what's the deal with the airbag between the column and steering wheel?

Probably an air leak of some sort? It should set a light but maybe it hasn't been run enough to come on yet. No idea about the air bag but that thing is trashed. What does an engine and trans from one of those cost by itself? Cause the rest is scrap from the looks of things.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Probably an air leak of some sort? It should set a light but maybe it hasn't been run enough to come on yet. No idea about the air bag but that thing is trashed. What does an engine and trans from one of those cost by itself? Cause the rest is scrap from the looks of things.

An engine is worth around $5k, and that's just an engine, no pedal/ECU and junk. A transmission seems to be around $2200. I don't even have a project in mind, but it seems like a rare opportunity if it stays as low as it is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

From the few photos, the seats even look decent still.

Of course, tough to say for sure, but I'm pretty positive it's easily worth more than its going for.

Didn't Bajaha buy a salvage WRX as a donor car?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Perfect for a Factory Five 818 build.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

IDK, first year for the smaller B-bodies, and I bet this thing rides like a dream, but $10,500 seems like a lot for a 77 Oldsmobile.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/333245820204980/permalink/1824816227714591/?sale_post_id=1824816227714591

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Not usually a fan of these, but this particular program was awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulCHpn9pkY

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The U-2 has a looooooooong history of cool-rear end chase cars.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I really wish I had room for this, but I wouldn't pay what this geezer is asking.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

ausgezeichnet posted:

I really wish I had room for this, but I wouldn't pay what this geezer is asking.

At first glance I thought that was a Ranchero.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I haven't had anyone check aim on my headlights since the early '90s.
edit: Dallas/Fort Worth ,Texas area, for context.

ausgezeichnet posted:

So the important question here is: is it an El Camino with an Eldo front end, or, as the ad implies, and Eldo with an El Camino bed grafted on. If the latter, that's infinitely cooler, or at least more challenging. It would maintain the Caddy (or Olds very possibly for that generation) V8 and FWD.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

They don't do that in PA either for regular annual inspection (although I think the are supposed to). But the initial registration requirements for a newly imported non-USDM car is way different and they absolutely go over things like that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

So the important question here is: is it an El Camino with an Eldo front end, or, as the ad implies, and Eldo with an El Camino bed grafted on. If the latter, that's infinitely cooler, or at least more challenging. It would maintain the Caddy (or Olds very possibly for that generation) V8 and FWD.

I think it's a custom job. There was some coach builder that made "Cadillac El Caminos" for funeral homes to be used as flower cars, but from the article I read a few years ago, they weren't auto-mullets.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, flower cars are actually Cadillacs or Lincolns or whatever that a coach builder takes a grinder to. They’re not Elky or Ranchero conversions.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Ya, flower cars are actually Cadillacs or Lincolns or whatever that a coach builder takes a grinder to. They’re not Elky or Ranchero conversions.

I mean, that's clearly a G-body El Camino bedside and cab back, but I take your meaning.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Unlike the cimarron, or the escalade this one is a REAL CADDY!!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

Unlike the cimarron, or the escalade this one is a REAL CADDY!!

A caddy Caddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/monzilla-seller-is-motivated/1614267822