Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

BigFactory posted:

That’s the weirdest festival lineup I’ve ever seen

LMAO

The crazy world of Grateful Dead cover bands and friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Who the gently caress even is in the Jerry Garcia Band that Melvin Seals is tiring with?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Who the gently caress even is in the Jerry Garcia Band that Melvin Seals is tiring with?

John Kahn is dead, right? Is David Kemper alive? He stopped playing in Dylan’s band 20 years ago.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

That Dark Star gets a lot of love but I thought the Caution was stronger (and the TOO > El Paso > TOO the night before blows it all out of the water). Europe 72, folks! I didn't realize this thread was listening along, I'd been planning my own for about a year now. The box set was the second thing I got into after Dick's Picks and a couple recommendations here and there (I traded a torrent of DP for my friend's rip, we sat in my office for like 2 hours for it all to transfer) and it hugely influenced the way I approached their deeper catalog.

This will hopefully come up on that podcast (I think it was in long strange trip too) but they way over-concentrated the acid for this tour, thinking it would be easier to smuggle more if it was 20x, but something went wrong and uh you can hear it. Some of the best jamming in the band's career, like the better half of 2.0 Phish at times. Barely getting through the yellow dog story. I think it sorta starts to settle as the tour goes but not completely

Kvlt! posted:

Passenger is the only Dead song I really just cannot stand. Donna only makes it worse.

Passenger kicks rear end, it and a couple others (If I Had The World To Give being the obvious one, From The Heart of Me, etc) are very clear riffs on Rumors which makes a lot of sense for the Dead post 77 pre Brent. Donna opinions aside (she has the strongest singing run in the band imo, maybe Brent), the Brent versions in 79 and 80 are also great too. First set highlight of 78-79 dead imo.

BigFactory posted:

John Kahn is dead, right? Is David Kemper alive? He stopped playing in Dylan’s band 20 years ago.

Kahn and Kemper both briefly were. the idea was to just keep playing w/o Jerry but as time went on they had to do more and more swaps. Bar rock band of Theseus. (and the standard dead orbit glom ons, drama, and cash grabs we've come to know and love). He does some stuff with Zero covering similar ground too

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JamesKPolk posted:

Kahn and Kemper both briefly were. the idea was to just keep playing w/o Jerry but as time went on they had to do more and more swaps. Bar rock band of Theseus. (and the standard dead orbit glom ons, drama, and cash grabs we've come to know and love). He does some stuff with Zero covering similar ground too

One of my favorite concerts ever was Melvin and Merle at a dive bar in upstate NY playing pretty much all JGB material. So much fun.

It looks like T his Melvin JGB band has John K in it but other than that it’s people I’ve never heard of before. But Melvin + John K would be pretty fun.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 10, 2022

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

One More Saturday Night is the worst Dead song.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah I think touring as "JGB" is in poor taste but Melvin Seals is great and John K is pretty good too. Def worth checking out if tix are reasonable prices.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

theres a kick rear end reddit post I've never been able to find again that was like "you hate OMSN on tapes and then you're there and its saturday night and they do OMSN and its the best thing in the world" thats pretty much my trajectory

BigFactory posted:

One of my favorite concerts ever was Melvin and Merle at a dive bar in upstate NY playing pretty much all JGB material. So much fun.

GOD. organ devils

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

JamesKPolk posted:

theres a kick rear end reddit post I've never been able to find again that was like "you hate OMSN on tapes and then you're there and its saturday night and they do OMSN and its the best thing in the world" thats pretty much my trajectory

Yeah, I think I mainly just don’t like a lot of the classic rock n roll leaning songs they did and for some reason that one just sounds the most phoned in and corny to me. Dancing in the Streets is another one. I never skip them when they come up but I’ll turn the volume down.

Then again I love Truckin, Shakedown Street, and Touch of Grey and those seem to be among the most hated by old heads so maybe I just have poo poo taste.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Picasso Moon is the worst Grateful Dead song

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Barton Hall would have been perfect if they walked off stage after Morning Dew. Why did they have to go from that to OnE MoRe SaTuRdAY NiGHt!!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Saturday night is a good jogging song. I think it explains a lot of Bobby’s music. Aerobics.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

General "noob" question incoming!

How come Greatest Hits staples like "Ripple" or "Box of Rain" are so infrequent in the shows I dive into on the regular? Was there an era where they just hated those songs?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

General "noob" question incoming!

How come Greatest Hits staples like "Ripple" or "Box of Rain" are so infrequent in the shows I dive into on the regular? Was there an era where they just hated those songs?

Phil didn’t like singing for a long time. They started playing Box of Rain more often starting in the late 80s. Phil didn’t sing Unbroken Chain until like 93.

Ripple just wasn’t a song that made sense in a lot of sets. It’s quiet but not a typical Jerry Ballad. There’s a nice ripple on Reckoning though

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Phil didn’t like singing for a long time

and it was fine with everyone!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
They only played ripple 42 times, which might sound low, but it means that we got to hear that many more Wang Dang Doodles!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was always curious about Cosmic Charlie. I really like it but they didn’t play it much.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Since I'm sure it's a statistic somewhere, what was the least played cut from that classic era?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hatelull posted:

Since I'm sure it's a statistic somewhere, what was the least played cut from that classic era?

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2011/07/grateful-dead-song-graph.html?m=1

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

BigFactory posted:

Ripple just wasn’t a song that made sense in a lot of sets. It’s quiet but not a typical Jerry Ballad. There’s a nice ripple on Reckoning though

I'll try to search for it, but there's an interview with Jerry where he talks about just not connecting with Ripple's lyrics live and he knows people feel very special about that song in particular. It didn't seem right for him to sing lyrics that were important to everyone if he couldn't connect to them the same way.

IIRC the only time the made a concession post Reckoning shows was for Make-A-Wish where someone asked for a Ripple encore specifically, but I could be wrong about that :effort:

Edit - yeah confirmed by the graph above, Ripple was last played in 88 which links up with the Make a Wish anecdote

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 11, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I wish there were more Built To Lasts. That song is awesome.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Noise Machine posted:

I'll try to search for it, but there's an interview with Jerry where he talks about just not connecting with Ripple's lyrics live and he knows people feel very special about that song in particular. It didn't seem right for him to sing lyrics that were important to everyone if he couldn't connect to them the same way.

IIRC the only time the made a concession post Reckoning shows was for Make-A-Wish where someone asked for a Ripple encore specifically, but I could be wrong about that :effort:

Edit - yeah confirmed by the graph above, Ripple was last played in 88 which links up with the Make a Wish anecdote

I always thought it's because there were some songs that Jerry said worked better acoustically and that Ripple was one of them. Once they stopped doing acoustic openers it fell out of rotation. It's the same reason they changed the arrangement of Friend Of The Devil.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a Tennessee Jed that went anywhere or made me pay attention. And they played that song a LOT.

But passenger is a pretty bad song by almost any standard.

The extended solo part where they modulate a few times can be really kick rear end if Jerry’s hitting the changes well. There’s a few good versions through Europe 72, I’m partial to the Rheinhalle 4/24 version

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Newcastle City Hall, April 11th.

A grim day in a Northern Town and with a crowd that probably showed up because an American band were playing (There was certainly a contingent of local older ladies present, one of whom was Eric Burdon's mother) was a safe bet for what I thought might be a rote show on the tour but surprisingly they turned in a strong showing and maybe the best show of the tour to date?

Set 1 doesn't quite bear that out. 'The Greatest Story Ever Told' is better than the one we got on the first night of the tour, but then it's a few well-performed and perfectly fine songs ('Deal, 'Sugaree' and, ugh, 'Tennessee Jed') before a lively 'Jack Straw' kicks things up again. Bobby gets a bit too lively on 'Brown-Eyed Women' and sounds like he falls out of time for a spell but makes up for it with a great 'Looks Like Rain' that sees Jerry on steel-pedal guitar. It makes for a lovely mournful addition to the song but don't get used to it because Jerry uses the guitar at (I think) the next show and we don't hear it again. We get a good 'Big Railroad Blues' with a playful Jerry vocal and a standard 'Casey Jones' closer.

Set 2 kicks off with 'Good Lovin' and Pigpen is in great form again. I've heard a few shows in this set but not all and I think this and the next show are probably his best efforts. Rather than push it into anything else it comes to a slow close and Jerry sings 'Ramble On Rose'. Vocally this show is a great one for Jerry, who rings every bit of emotion out of what can be a bit of a filler song. The centrepiece of this one is 'Truckin'-->'Drums'-->'The Other One'-->'Comes A Time' with the latter being another on point Jerry vocal. He's in his prime during this time and it's great hearing him belt out these vocal performances. The crowd seem appreciative when it's over too. So of course the boys hit them with a lively 'Sugar Magnolia'.

Rosie McGee wrote that Newcastle City Hall was "a dour concrete building in the midst of a grim industrial town with the warmth of a witch's teat." and that a cold and confused crowd became "stunned and bemused" before "the concrete walls somehow turned into green pastures." It's a lot, but you can feel it happening. The band and the crowd are a little apprehensive, but they get there and we end with a wonderful 'Brokedown Palace' before uh, 'One More Saturday Night'.

That ends the first leg of the Dead's Europe tour, with the band leaving for Copenhagen. Next time they're in the UK it's at the Bickershaw Festival, where a young Elvis Costello gets the idea to start his own band.

Bonus: Here's an interview Jerry did that day, about two hours before the band took the stage: http://deadsources.blogspot.com/2014/09/april-11-1972-jerry-garcia-interview.html

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

(There was certainly a contingent of local older ladies present, one of whom was Eric Burdon's mother)

"They're very good you know"

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

what can be a bit of a filler song

call ramble on rose a filler song again. do it

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Picasso Moon is the worst Grateful Dead song

It's better than a drive in movie-ooowie. (Similar to OMSN, a friend has wisely pointed out that there's two versions, normal Picasso Moon, and Picasso Moon when you're dosed, and the second one is the good one)

Yeah, I think I mainly just don’t like a lot of the classic rock n roll leaning songs they did and for some reason that one just sounds the most phoned in and corny to me. Dancing in the Streets is another one. I never skip them when they come up but I’ll turn the volume down.

Then again I love Truckin, Shakedown Street, and Touch of Grey and those seem to be among the most hated by old heads so maybe I just have poo poo taste.

Getting my head around all the Beatles Stones and Cream covers as not classic rock but contemporary (well, until they 80s when they barely sound like the original) was a big "oh poo poo" moment.

I used to have the exact reaction to Dancing, but it's one of the stronger 70s jam numbers and at some point it flipped for me. (Simon Reynolds agrees with you, fwiw)

User Error posted:

Barton Hall would have been perfect if they walked off stage after Morning Dew. Why did they have to go from that to OnE MoRe SaTuRdAY NiGHt!!

yeah and don't get me started about that bullshit ripcord at the end of 8/27/72 dark star

DrVenkman posted:

| It's the same reason they changed the arrangement of Friend Of The Devil.

I thought this was they just really liked the CSNY (maybe just Cros?) arrangement? Could see being both but the cover-of-a-cover is part of it. FOTD is an incredible song, one of the only ones from the catalog I actually wanna hear non Dead-orbit people play.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

call ramble on rose a filler song again. do it

I can’t imagine someone listening to ramble on rose and not having a better day from that point on.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

I can’t imagine someone listening to ramble on rose and not having a better day from that point on.

If you don't belt the "GOODBYE MAMA AND PAPA" verse with the loudest voice you can muster, I don't think you're doing it right.

Also hot take - OMSN is an EXCELLENT set one closer. It gets you pumped up, but you know the encore is freed up.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I'll edit this post after I listen to Set 2 tonight -

4/11/72

Set 1 - Just "OK", which still means there were a lot of nice moments. I think my highlights were all the Pigpen tunes, honestly. It does make me happy that Playin' hasn't become this uber-jam so far (PNW '74 boxset, I'm looking in your direction.) You go out for about 4-5 minutes and then you're back home. It's interesting to hear Bob sing both parts in "Jack Straw" and it's not quite solidified, but it'll be fun to hear the evolution.

Set II - Woooooooo! Coming in hot with a Good Lovin' that my friend said was the prime example of the "drat hippies took over my blues band" meme. Followed by Ramble On Rose which was a strong point in the set for me.

Truckin->Drums->TOO was obviously the centerpiece. Truckin percolates along and we get solo Billy just getting the gently caress down before Phil teases TOO, and what a version. Prepare for Psychedelic Brain Pulp - when Phil does the loooooooooooooong pick scrape and eventually just starts playing with feedback (I'm pretty sure he's hitting his bass at this point) and it breaks down to freeform quiet exploration before morphing into Comes A Time. Sugar Magnolia is definitely welcome, but Bob's voice is so blown out. Brokedown encore is certainly most welcome and just a great ballad moment. OMSN is... starting to get into more of the same, but still a ripping track.

If this is the Dead on a "so-so" night, still better than most.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 12, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
My take on 4/11/72 is that almost everything is solid but not exceptional, but then Comes A Time and Brokedown Palace both grabbed me near the end of the show. In addition to Jerry really nailing it on those two songs, Pig and Keith are complementing each other nicely.

I guess I’m always a sucker for those “Jerry does a somber song after the monster set 2 jam” choices, like when it’s Stella Blue or Morning Dew or something.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I’ve really only started to discover Pigpen in the past month and every song I’ve heard is :kiss:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

trem_two posted:

My take on 4/11/72 is that almost everything is solid but not exceptional, but then Comes A Time and Brokedown Palace both grabbed me near the end of the show. In addition to Jerry really nailing it on those two songs, Pig and Keith are complementing each other nicely.

I guess I’m always a sucker for those “Jerry does a somber song after the monster set 2 jam” choices, like when it’s Stella Blue or Morning Dew or something.

Agreed. Loved the brokedown, Jerry’s vox on point

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I thought the Playin' was strong too (I like Donna though)

trem_two posted:

We love a Jerry ballad in the post space slot. which is what these shows are feeling like to me even though its 72. Like the more consistent 80s pattern minus a couple parts, compared to 71 + 73, say.

It was pointed out to me that they're recording an album which explains the relative consistency in songs and the general tightness overall

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

I'll edit this post after I listen to Set 2 tonight -

4/11/72

Set 1 - Just "OK", which still means there were a lot of nice moments. I think my highlights were all the Pigpen tunes, honestly. It does make me happy that Playin' hasn't become this uber-jam so far (PNW '74 boxset, I'm looking in your direction.) You go out for about 4-5 minutes and then you're back home. It's interesting to hear Bob sing both parts in "Jack Straw" and it's not quite solidified, but it'll be fun to hear the evolution.

I'm pretty sure it's a bit later in this tour that Jerry starts sharing the JS vocals. It's always a little jarring to hear Bob do both parts and like 'The Music Never Stops', it doesn't sound right unless there's two vocalists.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah thread is spot on so far, even songs that are my personal faves like Deal are just kinda "eh" tonight.

Gonna listen to set II shortly.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Bobby’s screams at the end of 4/11 sugar magnolia were epic. Legend has it that little Richard himself taught him how to wail like that