Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What's interesting is that early scripts of the film DID have a voice over, albeit a completely different one.

And it was basically one of the early narrations that got Scott started on the "Deckard is a replicant" thing- there was some draft where he's narrating "I did my job, did what I was programmed to do" and it's obviously metaphorical but Scott seized on the idea that he might literally be an android and that's where that happened. (And there was a later draft that spelled this out- it ends with Deckard playing the piano and then his hand seizes up.

As for Scott needing to be better with producers, I would argue he often is. Alien was going to be a lower budget movie than it ended up being, but he did some meticulous mini-storyboard ("Ridleygrams" they were called) of the major scenes in the film and showed how he was going to film it all, and based on that the studio gave them more money.

Sometimes the producer or executive producer actually runs interference between the director (who's supposed to concentrate on what's in front of the camera) and the studio. When David Lynch made The Elephant Man for Mel Brooks, the studio sent some notes on the work print suggesting cuts, and Brooks wrote back "We are involved in a business venture. We screened the film for you, to bring you up to date as to the status of that venture. Do not misconstrue this as our soliciting the input of raging primitives."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

As for Scott needing to be better with producers, I would argue he often is. Alien was going to be a lower budget movie than it ended up being, but he did some meticulous mini-storyboard ("Ridleygrams" they were called) of the major scenes in the film and showed how he was going to film it all, and based on that the studio gave them more money.

Alien is probably the one movie of his where the first version basically is the director's cut. The only reason the Quadrilogy version is called the director's cut is for marketing reasons.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Brooks gave an interview recently where he said that the secret to dealing with producers was to tell them that you're going to do the thing they tell you to do and then just don't do it because movie producers are braindead and are only telling you to do things because it makes them feel like they're having an impact and they forget what they asked for 30 seconds after doing it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Alaois posted:

Mel Brooks gave an interview recently where he said that the secret to dealing with producers was to tell them that you're going to do the thing they tell you to do and then just don't do it because movie producers are braindead and are only telling you to do things because it makes them feel like they're having an impact and they forget what they asked for 30 seconds after doing it

yeah I've read several stories in which the same movie was submitted with none of the suggested changes and the producers didn't notice

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I've read several stories in which the same movie was submitted with none of the suggested changes and the producers didn't notice

Famously, Hitchcock submitted the same script for Psycho until it got past the sensors.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Iron Crowned posted:

Famously, Hitchcock submitted the same script for Psycho until it got past the sensors.

How do these movie script sensors work? Is it some sort of machine learning AI?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hawowanlawow posted:

This is such a well-established facet of the broken brains behind game publishers that there's a famous anecdote in gaming about a character designer being asked by some out of touch exec to make a female character arbitrarily 'sexier', and they were weirded out so they did literally nothing and presented the same image to the exec, who was satisfied and thought the character was sexier.

edit: Aw man, I'm actually bummed I can't find it now, there was a thread here which featured a few fun cases of developers rolling their eyes at publisher dick-waving. Another of the stories featured a weapon which didn't sound badass enough when it fired or something like that, so the audio engineer just made the volume a little louder and the person who made the call was immediately satisfied because they assumed the process required to do so was really intricate.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Apr 11, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

How do these movie script sensors work? Is it some sort of machine learning AI?

Yeah, unfortunately this was back in the 60's, so the AI was about as smart as your average film censor.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gong Show and Saturday Night Live came up with fun methods of getting stuff past the censors sensors in that era of television. They would present skits to the network in groups so that they could be organized into shows, and hidden amongst these groups of sketches and show ideas would be intentionally outlandish dummies designed to grab the censors' attention away from more racy (or sometimes just progressive) stuff they ACTUALLY wanted to air. SNL got nice and subtle about this by having multiple writers submit sketches at once, but Gong Show only had Chuck Barris himself OK the acts.

By the end of Gong Show's run nearly every show had a dummy sketch planted because they pretty much kept their ratings by being a rambunctious program, and the one single dummy which made it through on accident almost got the show canceled. Picture if you will, two young ladies sitting cross-legged eating popsicles seductively while a live studio audience cheers them on to victory. They actually completed their act although I don't know if the popsicles themselves had time to finish. On the Gong Show that actually wouldn't have been all that out of the ordinary because double-entendre acts were common, which is probably why it got cleared. The tragedy of this fun escapade, of course, was that the girls were in their teens. And, y'know, not adults. And didn't tell anyone*. So the show and subsequently Chuck Barris got in perhaps a little bit more trouble for that than for getting something planned past the censors.

*The part where no one knew their ages is only alleged as far as I'm aware, it honestly could just be that nobody cared they were 17. But I think the guy in the audience pulling out his best McConaughey ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT while they were on stage would be MORE excited to hear this, not less, sadly.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Apr 11, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'd hesitate to call Ridely Scott movies 'great' because there's quite a few that were just okay and it didn't seem like it got butchered by producers.

quote:

1977 The Duellists
1979 Alien
1982 Blade Runner
1985 Legend
1987 Someone to Watch Over Me
1989 Black Rain
1991 Thelma & Louise
1992 1492: Conquest of Paradise
1996 White Squall
1997 G.I. Jane
2000 Gladiator
2001 Hannibal
Black Hawk Down
2003 Matchstick Men
2005 Kingdom of Heaven
2006 A Good Year
2007 American Gangster
2008 Body of Lies
2010 Robin Hood
2012 Prometheus
2013 The Counselor
2014 Exodus: Gods and Kings
2015 The Martian
2017 Alien: Covenant
All the Money in the World
2021 The Last Duel
House of Gucci
TBA Napoleon

Maybe he did get done dirty a lot but quite a few of those movies seem aggressively mediocre. It's more like he just loves giving Russel Crowe acting jobs.

Otherwise the cachet he got from Alien, Blade Runner and later Gladiator pushed him solidly into the top tier.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Apr 11, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

I'd hesitate to call Ridely Scott movies 'great' because there's quite a few that were just okay and it didn't seem like it got butchered by producers.

Maybe he did get done dirty a lot but quite a few of those movies seem aggressively mediocre. It's more like he just loves giving Russel Crowe acting jobs.

Otherwise the cachet he got from Alien, Blade Runner and later Gladiator pushed him solidly into the top tier.

Reading Ridley Scott's filmography is such a trip. It swings between middling forgettable crap and "literally re-defined the genre". it's wild.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Oh man I didn't know he did black hawk down

woof

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Reading Ridley Scott's filmography is such a trip. It swings between middling forgettable crap and "literally re-defined the genre". it's wild.

I'll say this, for anyone and everyone who's ever made their money from working in media production like that, Micheal Caine had the best line about the quality of the final product.

quote:

I have never seen it (Jaws 4) but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific.

Can't fault Scott for making some schlock to get paid $$$ and time from time use his influence to do his passion/dream projects and fight the studio over literally everything he wants.

Micheal Bay I think can be agreed is a trash director who's movies aged immediately and also the awareness he was gross as gently caress to all the hot young actresses he would hire to dress in super revealing casual outfits. I don't there's a single Micheal Bay movie post 90s that wasn't either just repeating the same poo poo he started with or a shameless franchise cash in with no effort or care.

Armageddon even aged like milk, the idea a bunch of blue collar roughnecks could outsmart the entirety of NASA. Ben Affleck who was called out for being dumb as poo poo with a lot of his ideas for Daredevil had a story where he called Bay during shooting as the whole thing making no sense and was yelled at to shut his mouth.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doing my due dilligence on that Gong Show thing, bad news/good news! I found Chuck Barris' personal account of the incident online and now we can judge him because per this really creepy descriptor from his autobiography, he knew their ages! I spoilered the creepy part to save your sanity.

quote:

I ignored what Buddy said. I did worse than that. I put the Popsicle
Twins on "The Gong Show."

The Popsicle Twins weren't really twins. They were just girl friends.
One was fifteen years old, the other seventeen. Both were adorable.
The fifteen-year-old wore her hair in a ponytail, and had a face full
of freckles. The older girl had bangs, dimples, and enormous blue
eyes. Both had fresh, full, succulent bodies. Both had glowing
peaches-and-cream complexions. Both wore T-shirts and short shorts.
Both were a lecherous old man's delight; post-pubescent Lolitas who
would have more than satisfied all the Humbert Humberts of the world.
They called themselves the Popsicle Twins because they each held an
orange Popsicle.

The girls skipped onto the stage barefoot, sat down on the floor side
by side, crossed their legs Indian-style, and begin to lick their
Popsicles. That's all they did. They just licked their Popsicles.
But the *way* they licked their Popsicles was something else. It was
extraordinary, is what it was. The girls tongued the sides of the
Popsicles, ran their full lips across the Popsicles and around them.
They slid the Popsicles into their mouths slowly, sensually, in and
out, in and out, and then ran their lips softly down the shaft of the
cone-shaped Popsicles to their bases, and then back up again.

There were obviously giving the Popsicles a blow job. The two teenagers
were teaching the nation the proper way to perform exquisite head.
Every eye in that theater was glued to the Popsicles Twins' mouths and
their Popsicles. Anyone who couldn't see the girls in person watched
TV monitors hypnotically. Every stagehand had a hard-on. The celebrity
judges were in a state of acute shock. Not one of them was capable of
looking away, let alone leaving their seats to gong the act. "The Gong
Show" band gave the Popsicle Twins a standing ovation. Jaye P. Morgan
said, "That's the way I started. I give the girls a ten!"

When the show aired, the telephone switchboard at the National
Broadcasting Company in New York lit up like a Christmas tree. The
East Coast was appalled. The wife of a United States senator had her
husband paged on the Senate floor and demanded he make an immediate
motion to ban "The Gong Show" from television. Two New York City police
demolition instructors had to interrupt their lesson on defusing
explosives because the eyes of the class were glued to the silent
television set suspended from the ceiling behind them. At first the
police demolition instructors were angry. Then they noticed what the
other cops were watching, and what the Popsicle Twins were doing, and
called a five-minute break.

Executives at NBC snapped into action. They immediately terminated
the "Gong Show" feed to the rest of the country. The Popsicle Twins
were never seen in the Central or Pacific time zones. ...

In this biography (it's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind) he also talks about secretly being a CIA agent, something the real life CIA then had to investigate and publicly deny was true despite it obviously being a joke to spice up a boring book. Honestly, they should have probably investigated the rest of the text!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Apr 11, 2022

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

I'll say this, for anyone and everyone who's ever made their money from working in media production like that, Micheal Caine had the best line about the quality of the final product.

Can't fault Scott for making some schlock to get paid $$$ and time from time use his influence to do his passion/dream projects and fight the studio over literally everything he wants.

Micheal Bay I think can be agreed is a trash director who's movies aged immediately and also the awareness he was gross as gently caress to all the hot young actresses he would hire to dress in super revealing casual outfits. I don't there's a single Micheal Bay movie post 90s that wasn't either just repeating the same poo poo he started with or a shameless franchise cash in with no effort or care.

Armageddon even aged like milk, the idea a bunch of blue collar roughnecks could outsmart the entirety of NASA. Ben Affleck who was called out for being dumb as poo poo with a lot of his ideas for Daredevil had a story where he called Bay during shooting as the whole thing making no sense and was yelled at to shut his mouth.

Oh I don't think he's making schlock for the cash, I think occasionally he just completely misses the mark. Prometheus/Alien Covenant and Exodus are his exact kind of movie, and had a lot of effort and creativity put into them, they were just bad. And then there's A Good Year, which is so bizarrely outside his oeuvre, and from what I can tell was just because he thought it would be fun to try and make a rom-com.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
:stonk:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Wait, so Ridley Scott is responsible for Q-Anon?

White Squall is where their stupid catchphrase comes from.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

pentyne posted:

How dare you disparage this piece of cinematic excellence

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alaois posted:

Yeah but Mel Brooks has more clout than say, fresh from making music videos David Fincher, who got completely steamrolled for Alien 3.

It depends. The problem is a lot of producers think they know what sells and they ignore what makes a good piece.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

hawowanlawow posted:

Scott's movies seem to get cut to poo poo and then get bad reviews and then he gets to do what he wanted and the reviews are good, same deal with kingdom of heaven

God imagine being in a room with Hollywood producers making decisions, lmao

two is not the same as all of his movies. most of his movies are bad, he's been coasting on the clout from the 80s for a long long time now.

(gladiator wasn't very good either but i wouldnt call it bad i guess)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Alaois posted:

The prolific session bassist Lee Sklar has a switch on his bass that connects to nothing, that he calls his producer switch. If the producer is unhappy about his tone, he very deliberately flicks the switch and moves his hand position slightly, which seemed to make most music producers happy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've worked in retail or retail-adjacent positions all my working life and 'I'll get right on that when I have time' is a great way to make stupid busywork disappear from existence. Heartily recommend.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

pentyne posted:

1. Matchstick Men is great
2. Any director that's made three or four all-time classics I think we can reasonably consider "great," even if there's a lot of chaff in with the wheat.

Regarding Ridley Scott's relationship with film execs, I would expect that he's pretty well-liked. He's efficient and probably brings things in on/under budget. The Kevin Spacey stuff came out two months before All the Money in the World was to be released, and Scott managed to reshoot the entire role in like a week with Christopher Plummer.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gladiator is a movie that was a very very big deal at its time but looking back on it I don’t know why

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the helmet in gladiator looks dumb as hell

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alaois posted:

So they’re like all bosses then

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Gladiator was fun and still has a couple iconic scenes. Don’t really need much else from it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh I don’t dislike gladiator, it’s fine. But man it was a big deal for a bit

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

My first thought was that Gladiator was a big deal in part because of its Super Bowl ad, but I looked it up to refresh my memory and, well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICf1V6UOsmk

Bawitdaba was everywhere back in those days

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paper Tiger posted:

My first thought was that Gladiator was a big deal in part because of its Super Bowl ad, but I looked it up to refresh my memory and, well:

Speaking of aged poorly Kid Rock speed ran his dirtbag country/rock persona into becoming an alt-right shithead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

CJacobs posted:

Gong Show and Saturday Night Live came up with fun methods of getting stuff past the censors sensors in that era of television. They would present skits to the network in groups so that they could be organized into shows, and hidden amongst these groups of sketches and show ideas would be intentionally outlandish dummies designed to grab the censors' attention away from more racy (or sometimes just progressive) stuff they ACTUALLY wanted to air. SNL got nice and subtle about this by having multiple writers submit sketches at once, but Gong Show only had Chuck Barris himself OK the acts.

By the end of Gong Show's run nearly every show had a dummy sketch planted because they pretty much kept their ratings by being a rambunctious program, and the one single dummy which made it through on accident almost got the show canceled. Picture if you will, two young ladies sitting cross-legged eating popsicles seductively while a live studio audience cheers them on to victory. They actually completed their act although I don't know if the popsicles themselves had time to finish. On the Gong Show that actually wouldn't have been all that out of the ordinary because double-entendre acts were common, which is probably why it got cleared. The tragedy of this fun escapade, of course, was that the girls were in their teens. And, y'know, not adults. And didn't tell anyone*. So the show and subsequently Chuck Barris got in perhaps a little bit more trouble for that than for getting something planned past the censors.

*The part where no one knew their ages is only alleged as far as I'm aware, it honestly could just be that nobody cared they were 17. But I think the guy in the audience pulling out his best McConaughey ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT while they were on stage would be MORE excited to hear this, not less, sadly.

Semi-famously, this was also the way that Team America handled the censors. The 'dummy sketch' was the sex scene; they made the first cut of the sex scene as bad as they could, and every time it got rejected, they'd only cut from the sex scene.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Ridley Scott produced most of his own movies to get around studio interference and he pretty much hasn't made anything as good as the bad version of Blade Runner in the 40 years since it came out. Harrison Ford isn't much of an actor either so the director's cut is basically better because he barely has any lines and the ambiance and all the other characters carry the movie.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ridley Scott, in my opinion, is lots more about mood and visuals and atmosphere than a great script or an actors performance. His movies are rarely visually boring and just making Alien and Blade Runner more than qualify him as a great director. However, be sure to separate the man from his work because it’s an open secret in Hollywood that Scott has a reputation for being British

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Paper Tiger posted:

Aged like fine wine in that this cannot be real, I'm laughing my rear end off at bawitdaba blasting over the judgment of stoic Roman Joaquin Phoenix, this had to be on the front page of this website in the year 2000 and that's where it came from

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cleretic posted:

Semi-famously, this was also the way that Team America handled the censors. The 'dummy sketch' was the sex scene; they made the first cut of the sex scene as bad as they could, and every time it got rejected, they'd only cut from the sex scene.

This reminds me of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck shopping Good Will Hunting around and they put a really out of place blowjob scene in the middle to see which producers actually read the script.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but Mel Brooks has more clout than say, fresh from making music videos David Fincher, who got completely steamrolled for Alien 3.

It depends. The problem is a lot of producers think they know what sells and they ignore what makes a good piece.

they were trying to get him to recast Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles. he told them he would do that and then didn't and the producer who told him to do it never said anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CJacobs posted:

Aged like fine wine in that this cannot be real, I'm laughing my rear end off at bawitdaba blasting over the judgment of stoic Roman Joaquin Phoenix, this had to be on the front page of this website in the year 2000 and that's where it came from

My favorite part of Bawitdaba is that even during the hardest, grindiest parts of the song you still hear "up jump the boogie" echoing in the background

Like way to undermine your own tone

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

oldpainless posted:

has a reputation for being British
hosed up if true

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

marshmallow creep posted:

This reminds me of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck shopping Good Will Hunting around and they put a really out of place blowjob scene in the middle to see which producers actually read the script.

Oh, man! This just unlocked a memory that my brain had totally eclipsed because of the unfairness of being a child associated! When I was younger I actually managed to spot a forged map in a school textbook, the way real encyclopedias used to be made plagarism-proof by intentionally containing false information. The idea being that the incorrect information also will be there, as the plagiarist won't know it's incorrect. I remember the textbook was new and this was before the internet really had taken off in learning spaces so my kid theory was that the people who put it together took a PHOTO of a forged map to avoid paying. I pointed it out to my teacher because I was legitimately curious as to why it was wrong, and she said it was right and that I shouldn't question textbooks because they're proofread or something like that. I remember I wanted to come back with something like yeah but do they check the illustrations but I did not want to get in trouble so I went back to my desk and accepted that some island off of Africa or something isn't where every other map says it is.

It turned out my teacher didn't know about fictitious entries, which are genuinely real and still used as recently as this decade to spot people who steal copyrights in places like Dubai or countries with otherwise 'closed circuit' internet where such a thing would be easy to get away with because the people looking for plagiarists don't access those domains much.

edit: For reference there were other maps in the room. it was a class based around learning the earth and what's on it. so like i totally get now as an adult that the teacher almost certainly was exhausted and overworked and just wanted me to not ask her that question in like 1998 when the entire internet wasn't right next to her at her desk.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Apr 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looking at a map of Africa reminded me of exactly what the mistake was- Zanzibar was labeled wrong, which I knew was a real place because I'd played Metal Gear which features Zanzibar Island and its very real poisonous hamsters