Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm honestly shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is Mahoyo relatively short or something? Or maybe because Mahoyo's anime is coming out first? Could it be since it's a remaster instead of a remake, the translation was able to get underway faster, without a lot of behind the scenes production stuff??? I DEMAND ANSWERS THAT I AM NOT ENTITLED TO AND WILL LIKELY NEVER GET

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is Mahoyo relatively short or something?

Mahoyo is long more or less like UBW. And it's 60% SoL.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is Mahoyo relatively short or something? Or maybe because Mahoyo's anime is coming out first? Could it be since it's a remaster instead of a remake, the translation was able to get underway faster, without a lot of behind the scenes production stuff??? I DEMAND ANSWERS THAT I AM NOT ENTITLED TO AND WILL LIKELY NEVER GET

It's relatively short yes, with no branching paths. But the writing is still dense and intensely stylistic as you'd expect, and given the track record on translations of Nasu's writing I'm not going to get my hopes up on the quality until I see it for myself. Was going to buy it anyways so it changes nothing for me, but I'm very curious to know who they got translate it and how long they had to work on it.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

taser rates posted:

It's relatively short yes, with no branching paths. But the writing is still dense and intensely stylistic as you'd expect, and given the track record on translations of Nasu's writing I'm not going to get my hopes up on the quality until I see it for myself. Was going to buy it anyways so it changes nothing for me, but I'm very curious to know who they got translate it and how long they had to work on it.

Based on this article, sounds like Aniplex is distributing/licensing it.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...sh-text/.184542

If true, based on previous history of Aniplex localizations, they have not had a good track record.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, that's the main reason I'm not optimistic.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

FGO translation is quite good, I'd like to think they'll be the same people.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

FGO translation is quite good, I'd like to think they'll be the same people.

I believe a lot of people criticized FGO translation when it first came out. They have improved since though.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I don't really remember a criticism of the translation beyond typos since... I dunno, Osakabehime?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
FGO is farmed out to freelancers and I would say based on what I've seen that it's more fine than good, which, I hope they're aiming for a higher standard than that.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I will gladly take "fine" when the alternative has been decidedly not fine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Like 99% of translation work is hired out to freelancers. Very few companies actually have internal English localization teams, as far as I'm aware. It's Sony, Nintendo, Sega, S-E, and that's about it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, to be more specific the issue with FGO is the lack of coherency that comes with multiple translators that probably don't have any contact with each other working on a game that's on a tight/rigid schedule, which is what I was trying to get across. Type Lumina's translation quality is also pretty not great, but I don't know what's going on there production wise.

Robviously posted:

I will gladly take "fine" when the alternative has been decidedly not fine.
There are plenty of people out there that think running a game script through DeepL is good enough, or that the fan translations of Tsukihime and FSN are acceptable nowadays. The FGO english script is like a step above those last two I guess, but I recall seeing many significant mistakes (the one I remember off the top of my head is a line foreshadowing part 2 in in a major scene in Shimosa that just gets completely ignored by the translation) and also the way the prose in general is translated is mostly utilitarian with some flashes of inspiration. I'm not saying FGO is some great work of literature or something but the writing tends to be significantly better than how it is portrayed imo. Seeing the the prose in Mahoyo rendered like that would be kind of tragic, like if Neuromancer was rewritten by Tom Clancy or something.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

taser rates posted:

the one I remember off the top of my head is a line foreshadowing part 2 in in a major scene in Shimosa that just gets completely ignored by the translation
If you are talking about the "Missing Belt", it was like that in the original.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This translation is unacceptable

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

If you are talking about the "Missing Belt", it was like that in the original.

No, I'm talking about when Amakusa literally says "the root of fantasy descends from the heavens", which was just replaced by something meaningless.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

taser rates posted:

I'm not saying FGO is some great work of literature or something but the writing tends to be significantly better than how it is portrayed imo.

Don't get me wrong, if what we get is on par with the FGO script I will be very very happy. I do think there is a pessimism in the English community when it comes to the translations that isn't unfounded given Nasu's proclivities and past behaviors. I'm a little more hopeful because Extella seemed like a decent enough job though that may just be my opinion of it being the second to last Fate property I've played after FGO.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
One step closer to getting the legendary Porkslope Turkeyhandle localized in English.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure the aniplex.exe titles were by a different part of the company, but there's at least some precedent for a VN going through aniplex without turning out a mess.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I can only accept the most accurate and most misogyny translation. :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CCC got fully translated

https://iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/2022/05/21/fate-extra-ccc-translation-reaches-100/

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

big question

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

:rip: the almost finished Fate/Extra CCC translation.
https://iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/the-fateextra-ccc-translation-project/
Turns out they were almost done when some drama happened between them and the translator. Now they don't have a script and are back to nothing. Pretty sure at this point the game is cursed and will never be translated.

Only took seven years!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Only took seven years!

I think that's better than F/HA though.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The HD, fully voiced, and multilanguage version of Mahoyo will release on December 8th, 2022
big pic

Physical limited edition will go for 7700 yen
Physical standard edition will go for 6600 yen

Digital deluxe edition (ps4 only) will go for 7150 yen
Digital standard edition will go for 6600 yen

The more expensive versions come with an artbook (physical and digital respective, obviously), but note that the artbook is the same one as the 2012 original PC limited release.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

now it just needs an editing pass. hopefully that doesn't take another five years

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mahoyo officially announced for NA distribution at the AX FGO panel.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In anime Fate news, Grand Carnival is on Crunchyroll as of 20 minutes ago

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Is it any good for somebody who hasn't played Fate:GO? Or too in-jokey

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Is it any good for somebody who hasn't played Fate:GO? Or too in-jokey

It's pretty good. Was not expecting the long documentary segment on the life of the homeless in Japan, that's for sure.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVVuOmnzTsM

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
wonder how ecstatic wadarco was to hear tange saber say her name

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Fate/Extra Record new PV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiWfzmCuiI4

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope arcueid is in this version

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

i hope arcueid is in this version

the year of arcueid

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1558050053666717697
what

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can't wait to enjoy the completed story in 100 years

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Can't wait to enjoy the completed story in 100 years

I mean, Narita at least had a good excuse for the delay between volumes.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I mentioned it on our goon FGO Discord server, but Kingdom Hearts 3, two routes of Tsukihime remake, full rear end light novel chapters in FGO, Toy Story 4, Apocrypha novels AND anime, Babylonia anime, and all the Heaven's Feel movies have been completed in the time SF has just sat there

Even Prillya has had more plot progression and poo poo happening and I don't care about Prillya. Strange Fake's only accomplishment is making me go, "did anything interesting happen yet"

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alexandre Dumas is cool