Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bloodly posted:

My feeling is "Is this a simulation?" Or maybe the other two were....ugh.

"Although he survived, he suffered a spinal cord injury, a caved in skull, and many other injuries to his body. It is expected it will take him at least six months to recover."

He fell only on his back. How did he take so much damage? 'Heavenly Zoo'...I don't like this at all. My thoughts turn to 'none of this is real, it's all fantasy, he's either dying or already dead'.

yeah, in another game i could chalk that up purely as comedy, in this one it could be both comedy and foreshadowing something wild

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Everyone knows if someone has a physical accident, if you add enough blunt-force trauma, it warps around to healing them instead

only if you eat bananas for breakfast every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Connie4800
Oct 14, 2019
slips on a banana peel and absolutely near-cripples himself, and when he's in the hospital with a laundry list of injuries people are making jokes about him being banana boy

neo-kenya roasts are merciless

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Try jumping. Skeleton, but hole.
                    -- An anonymous Dark Souls player

Yes, we have no bananas!
                                                               -- An old Beastian song

Welcome back to Scenario C! In short: Ken slipped on a banana peel and hit his head, rendering him somewhat incapacitated for about a year. Waking up after about a year, he was apparently saved due to a blood transfusion from his long lost twin Nek, who is apparently a very rich man. Oh, and also, it seems that Ken is now married to Linda somehow!

So, what's one to do in such a situation?

After the explosive finish of Scenario B, and the explosive start of Scenario C, today we'll taking things a little easier.

So, let's hunt down some animals for the ark, of course. I mean, what else?

But first... we need to get some better equipment, specifically a pair of swallow cutters! Because, yes! this time Linda is in our party from the start and Ken doesn't need to go on his own any more!

So, we'll do the same as in scenario B...

Visit the animal dealer in Ozport...

...and buy some female rats from him, leaving enough money for the Bird Line ticket to Minago.

Then go to the animal disassembler in Minago and disassemble all of them. This will of course net us several of those swords and also a golden nugget worth a further 6400 G. I will also do another round of 99 rats to earn a bit of money to start with.

Once that's all done, we can sell all the extra swords to the animal dealer and end up here:

As you can see, I didn't go too overboard with money this time!

Equipping the sword for Ken...

...and Linda, raises our attack power slightly, but more importantly allows us to hit all enemies in front of us at once which is crazy overpowered.

Next, we go over to the item shop in Ozport shopping mall...

Here, first...

...we can sell that golden nugget for a bit more money.

And then of course, we can also buy the "Air Free Pass" allowing us free travel on regular Bird Line routes.

Allrighty, so now we can head out for some hunting.

As usual, in the immediate area around the ark, we can find some relatively low level species...

...such as pigs...

...ostriches...

...squirrels.

(Definitely try not to get attacked by a pack of dogs as we're way too low level to stand a chance against them!)

Anyway, we continue our animal gathering...

...with some rats...

...squid...

...and finally dragonflies. They are a bit annoying to get to spawn, as usual. We'll do a bit more hunting later, but for now let's explore a bit.

Also: yes, I totally forgot to buy another dog! That's ok, it's not critical right now and I do remember it later on!

So, then, first...

...of course, let's hand everything in at the ark.

This of course gets us up to 6 out of needed full 120.

While we're outside, let's shortly make camp with Linda for some important dialogue.

Ken... our first child is going to be a girl! I'm sure of it! So I want to give her a pretty name!
How about... Maria?
It's a bit plain... / It's kinda old-fashioned? / [ It's a good name! ]
Yeah... it's pretty good, isn't it!
But now that we've decided on a name, I want to meet Maria as soon as possible! Let's give it a go!

In case you are wondering... if you select any of the other two options in the dialogue, then the game lets you type in the name yourself that you want! There is a bit more to this, but it will take a while to get to it.

All right, let's go and get ourselves a second dog that I forgot to do before!

Continuing with our tradition of naming our dogs after all the seasons of the year except Summer, I name this dog Fuyu (=winter). Isn't it convenient that the names of all four seasons in Japanese can be written with just two characters? Maybe later we'll give it a try to earn the right to use kanji!

Allrighty then. Seeing as there is really nothing to do but explore, let's head first over to Ozport and see how things are going there. I will generally try to avoid repeated dialogue as much as I can, but I will keep some as it will be more relevant to us finally in this scenario.

Anyway, on to Ozport!

Ah, yes, the familiar "WELCOME NEOKENYA" flower bed. The second part of the last scenario was more focused on the southern area so it's been a while since we've been here.

The guy in white shirt has something to say...

WELCOME NEOKENYA... Everyone who arrives on the planet is first greeted by these flowers. And it's also their last goodbye before leaving. I guess that's just how things are here, huh?

Let's head inside. (Also, yes, we can still get the dog sword in the little passage--we don't need it for now, however. Also also, yes, you can still capture the catfish down in the basement here--we're nowhere near strong enough to be able to survive that at present.)

This lady here has a bit of a tutorial, although nothing we don't already know.

If you hear the name of a location mentioned by someone, and you don't know where it is, first try going there on the Bird Line. But sometimes, it's also good to check out the satnav and just walk.

Places like caves etc. only appear on your satnav after you visit them for the first time. Towns and settlements are visible there from the start, although not all of them will have a Bird Line station, as we've also seen in the previous scenario.

We'll head upstairs to the airport area.

First, this largish fellow here.

Hey there! How's the ark thing progressing? I have faith that you guys will pull it off! Good luck!

And then this lady here sitting at the desk.

You see that guy standing in the back, who doesn't look like much. Actually he's the commander of this airport. And, well this is a bit of a secret, but he was also a member of the ark crew selection committee... but since there was only one male and one female applicant, there was nothing to select!

So he didn't get murdered in this version of events and also it seems Sachiko didn't apply as crewmember either. Don't worry, she's around and we'll meet her soon! The other people here are saying the same stuff as before, so...

...let's head further up the stairs!

Hi Lady. You have something to say, don't you?

As things progress, the exodus of the planet's residents will continue and the number of people will decrease. But don't worry about rushing to gather all the information from them. Nobody on this planet says much of import anyway.

Yeah, I beg to differ on that one.

But it is true that as time progresses the number of people we can talk to will be decreasing, even down to stuff like shops closing gradually as their owners leave the planet and so on. We didn't get to see this in Scenario A and B because there you can finish everything in a couple of years. But this time, as mentioned, we're staying until the bitter end in 1999 so we'll experience more of this.

Anyway, let's talk to other people working here, like this lady at the desk.

Hey, is it ok a bit of "spicy" talk?
[ Just say it quickly! ] / I'm not so good at that... / Just talk?
Personally, I think the top of this building looks like a big phallus projecting into the universe. And it shoots human beings into all directions, like bits of sperm. I'm sure the humanity will do this all over again at some point and spread all over the universe!

A bit silly, but also a bit surprisingly deep. Like a lot of this game. One can definitely say that the writing quality overall is pretty high (and genuinely funny too).

Before stepping on the teleporter, let's talk to this technician lady here.

Don't worry, we're making sure that the Escape Project is proceeding as planned. You guys just focus on your work and keep it up! Good work!

We take the teleporter up to Ozsat orbital satellite.

The only person of interest for now, is this lady here working at a computer.

Ken! A person that left through here left you a message. Would you like to see it?
[ Yes. ] / No.
Cult Quiz advanced level question: What is commander Ben's last name? The answer can be found in Garex!

Well, we know that already since we found that old news bulletin there in Scenario B. Also, "Cult Quiz" or "CultQ" is a Japanese TV game show from early 1990s. So it's just a little joke.

In any case over the course of the game you can get here different messages. Sometimes they are just silly jokes like this one, but sometimes they're a bit more useful.

That's all we came here for, so now we'll take the teleporter back down and exit all the way out on the building terrace.

Here we can talk to this guy in blue.

From the third floor of the blue building to the left, you can get to Ozsat. There you can get on an escape shuttle, and whether laughing or crying, you will say goodbye to Neo-Kenya forever.

Over to the right is another person.

Hey, hey! Are you two by any chance Beastians?
Yes. / No. / What's a Beastian?

All three options give different answers, but all three are interesting so I will put them together in one convenient package:

Beastians, you know, the primitive humans discovered by a Federation expedition. It's still unknown how they ended up on this planet. One of the seven wonders of Neo-Kenya, Beastians are on every page of the every tourist guide. I wonder if I can go to a place like Minago or Koshikata and see the Beastians like the tourist guide says. I guess having dinner and watching the battle dance show is still the usual thing here, right? But I guess you're not, you don't have any tattoos or grass skirts or anything like that...

Lady, they are people, not animals in a zoo, ok?

Next, we'll head over into the hotel entrance.

Inside, there's this guy in his room, whom we can harras.

Ever since the incident at Garex, the Federation government is devoting much more time and money to archaeological reserach than to the study of animals. The Escape project can only come a distant third to both of those.

Right, the explosion that happened at Garex for unknown reasons. Also, we have definitely seen glimpses of archaeological digs on our journeys so far.

Over here in the big room is a kid we can also talk to.

Just about this time of the year, you can see flocks of swallows flying of the coast at G-07. Not a bad place to go on a sightseeing date in spring. I'm a bit bored with it though.

Location G-07 is around where Battle Park is in the West Area:

So it's basically on the coast of that big lake. Obviously in scenario B we could not go there, but in this one we'll definitely need to catch a pair of swallows. This however is one of the slightly more "complicated" captures, but we'll make a start on it today.

One last thing in Ozport today, though...

...is to go and visit the wedding shop!

As always, here we can buy Linda the 2G ring.

All right, as promised, let's make a start on obtaining some swallows. As mentioned they seem to be mostly found in northern areas (and I will never get used to the fact that the game calls is the "west" area--just why?).

For this we need to head over to that place called G-Factory. You might recall that this is a factory town now mostly inhabited by robots.

After arriving at G-Factory, we can talk to the Bird Line employee.

Hre at the factory, the employees only come around every six months or so to do maintenance on the robots. So I have a loooooot of free time!

Downstairs, the guy who works at the "left luggage" counter...

It's only the Grim Reaper who will finally give some rest to the robots out here. Until then they continue to work tirelessly... for the humans who have basically abandoned them.

Incindentally, in this scenario probably we will really have to make use of this left luggage service. The reason is that the game has a bit of a restricted inventory capacity. You can only carry with you a maximum of 32 items and they do not stack. So that means if you have five health potions, that takes five slots in your inventory! It was more or less fine before when the scenario would only last a year or two, but this time we may have to do some inventory management from time to time, unfortunately. Or, as Aloy would say: "I'll put that into my stash." (and then repeat that sentence about a million times!).

Anyway, we didn't come here for the town itself, so...

...we'll head outside into the snow! Just a few steps to the west is a cave which we haven't yet visited on our previous travels.

This place is called Swallowm. Do you think it has something to do with swallows perhaps?

After a short walk, we reach a couple of tents and a person in front of them!

This cave used to be a major nesting place for swallows until just a few years ago. But since then, the population of rats has exploded and they've been stealing swallows' eggs. The swallows became afraid and stopped coming here, and we lost a lot of business.

And what exactly is your business? Do you sell tickets for swallow-watching on the lake coast? I guess.

In the tent, there's another person to talk to.

I think that if the rat population would be reduced by at least 20 groups... then the swallows might think it's safer and come back this way in the Summer.

Ah-ha! How interesting. Ok, let's head further down into the cave. We'll take that staircase just behind the tents.

Going downstairs...

...and checking out the handy map, it seems like an impossible task to find all 20 groups of rats in this huge cavern.

However, as it turns out, this place uses the same animal spawning mechanism as anywhere else in the game. This means that the animals spawn as you "scroll into" the screen. So you can simply walk back and forth in the same area until you've caused 20 groups of rats to spawn and defeated them!

It's probably a bit hard to see, but here is one such rat trying to run away from Ken. You will have to use the sprint button here as they are way too quick.

Incidentally that shiny object on the screen is in fact an egg, which we too can pick up. But for now I will leave it there.

Anyway, you fight a bunch of rats, defeat them and then repeat this 19 more times.

Afterwards, when we are done, we can head back up to the tents.

Oh! Look at them over there! The older female is chasing the younger male so persistently!

So I guess they've started to come back then already, huh?

Also the person in the tent...

Thanks to both of you, swallows have started to come back to their nests! Maybe I should try going back to my own nest again one time...

All right, that's all we can do here for now. As mentioned, now that we've done this, we should be able to catch some swallows in the future.

That's some pretty bad weather... let's head back to warmer climates!

We're not heading all the way down south, though. Just as far as Minago!

Here we have a hunter loitering about the entrance, but he has a bit of a tutorial we haven't seen so far!

Sometimes a group of animals will have a leader. If you see one that stands out because it's a higher level than the rest, then you know it's them. Sometimes they might have a special attack that the others will not use, so be careful.

True, although it doesn't make a huge difference in practice. On my species "info cards" I haven't really been indicating these skills especially, for this reason.

Inside, we can talk to this older gentleman here.

Ken. I saw your father in the church shortly before he went missing... He was praying at the well, but he isn't even Beastian!

Right, we need to solve also the mystery of Ken's father's disappearance, I almost forgot! Not today, though.

Hope you haven't forgotten about this dude here.

Hey there! I am Dr. Oid, an enthnologist! I have a hunch that there might be something big somewhere in Minago. I will let you guys know when I find out more and in return I would like you to help me out, ok? Promise!

I wonder if it has something to do with the well in the church? In any case, let's hope Minago doesn't get minago-ed this time (Japanese "minagoroshi" = annihilation/massacre) so we can actually find out where this story goes! Also this guy's name bothers me something fierce.

Ok, let's head inside the church.

So here's the well that the old gentleman was talking about. Were this a FromSoftware game, there would certainly be a "try jumping" message in front of it.

But, when you think about it, maybe we really should, you know... try jumping? Oh, Ken, you don't have the right.

Oh, hey, someone is sending us a message! But who? And why?

On the upper floor, we can talk to the priest a bit...

People are still talking about your wedding! It was the first time that the bride brought the groom in in a wheelchair. And also the first time that she answered his vows for him, too!

Ok, that explains a lot.

Upstairs, there is another priest...

A long time ago, this town used to be terrorised by a pack of wild dogs. My friend's husband and child were killed by them. After that, we decided to close the gates at nightfall.

This is kind of interesting, because back in Scenario A, when we met Nek in the abandoned town of Koshikata, there were also some issues with wild dogs and wolves there too. Hmm.

Anyway, we can exit the church...

...and head over to Linda's house!

Inside are, as expected, Hume and Ann.

God would surely feel happy... but I feel a little lonely to send her off like this...

As always, we can pick up some duck meat from the fridge. This is pretty convenient because by Summer it will rot and then we can use the rotten meat to catch some hyenas!

Also...

Please, Kenny! No matter what happens, please protect Linda! I beg you!

Back outside...

Those two... they will only be separated in death.

So we get three different variations on Ann and Hume's relationship. In scenario A, they are divorced, in B they are divorced and remarried and here just happy together.

Before we leave...

...let's remember also this shack here.

It contains the animal expert guy.

If you're a ranger, you must be carrying an illustrated guide to animals with you. I've made it for you to use, but it's definitely got a few flaws. But I'm sure you'll be able to fill those in yourself. And also... but let's talk about that next time if you want. Just visit me when you're free.

Sure thing... if the town doesn't get annihilated this time. I also would like to know what is it that you have to tell us!

With this, we're done with Minago for the moment. To finish off, let's find a few more species here in the immediate area.

In spring, sometimes the area around Hospico will flood. This is a bit of a problem as you stand a greater chance to get attacked by stonefish, and they are pretty strong in water!

You know, like this. Nevertheless, we manage to scrape by somehow!

As I make camp to recover some health, suddenly it becomes Summer 1992!

We also catch some moles.

Also we find some monkeys.

And rabbits.

And crabs.

After this...

...we head back into the Ark to hand these in.

Finally, we are informed by the robot that this makes 11 out of 120 that we will be collecting.

So, that's all for today. It was kind of a bit of a breather episode where not that much happened, but not to worry. Next time we'll be exploring at least one new town we've never been to before, and also catching at least one new species!

Today we have here a couple of "model sheets" for Linda:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It honestly feels even weirder at this point to have such a relaxed update.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

When will the crazy in this scenario ramp up. Is the plant lady going to unleash her super plants across the world?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Blaze Dragon posted:

It honestly feels even weirder at this point to have such a relaxed update.

"Sure thing... if the town doesn't get annihilated this time. "

:tinfoil:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The swallow folks might be there for edible birds nests, if Neo-Kenyan swallows are anything like ours. Would make sense if swallows changing their nesting area destroys them economically like that.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
"People are still talking about your wedding! It was the first time that the bride brought the groom in in a wheelchair. And also the first time that she answered his vows for him, too!"

She force-married him? While comatose? Add that to the "Why hasn't he applied yet!" in the previous scenario and something is wrong here. Like....that isn't really 'funny' at all. Maybe I'm being too sensitive, but...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

sb hermit posted:

"Sure thing... if the town doesn't get annihilated this time. "

:tinfoil:

Exactly. All this update did is make me wonder what ivantod's about to drop on us next update.

can't make assumptions though, what if there were two chill updates in a row to really mess with us?

zelmes
Jan 2, 2020
Ken wasn't comatose the full time, we didn't see most of his recovery. He could blink for yes and no. It's entirely possible he agreed to be married, Linda just vocalized the vows.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what happens if you buy Linda the expensive rinf? I don't recall if you showed that off in a previous part, or will you be covering that later?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Randalor posted:

So what happens if you buy Linda the expensive rinf? I don't recall if you showed that off in a previous part, or will you be covering that later?

If you mean the stuff from this screenshot:

There are three rings here, the bottom one is the (in)famous 2G ring of course. It's only effect is a couple of lines of dialogue from Linda, and nothing else.

The middle one is a "diamond ring" for 500,000G, which as far as I know doesn't do anything. However, I'm happy to verify that later when we have enough money. :v:

The item on top is called "Ziade's ring" and for this one, we'll be able to get it later on (and we will get it) so I'll explain at that point what it's for.

This is a bit similar to what happens if you talk to the other salesperson in th wedding shop. You get this choice:

The item which costs 5,000 is an "engagement gift set", which also has absolutely no function in the game (for this one I'm sure about it).

I'm not even surprised that a game like this would have "troll" items in it. There are actually more of them than just these two.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back to Scenario C! Last time, we did some exploring and also some hunting. It also seems that Linda and Ken really have gotten married during the time while he was incapacitated.

Today, we'll continue with the relaxed mixture of hunting and exploration, although it's time to visit a new location which we haven't really seen before and it's also time to start meeting some new animal species!

And so here we are, just outside Hardia. It's been a while, but I think it's time to head up north for a bit again!

In order to that, of course, we'll make use of this convenient tunnel northwest of Hardia. In scenario B, this tunnel was closed, but now it's of course open again, considering that this time there are no parts of the world which are off-limits to us. So let's head out there and do some more hunting to start with.

For example, those barely visible dots flying around on the screen...

...are, of course, fleas.

Here we can also easily find some dolphins, although they can be found elsewhere too, as we've seen in Scenario B.

Also in the northern parts are found otters. As mentioned previously, it's important that you capture them before 1997. I mean, that's still plenty of time, really.

Probably best to avoid fighting eagles for now. They're just a bit too strong for us still.

But, since we're already close by, let's go and visit again Battle Park and see how things are looking there this time!

Here we go.

This gentleman sitting here has a thing to say.

With only a few exceptions, most of the best hunters are Beastians. It seems they have some kind of a secret hunting ground that only they know about...

A secret hunting ground, you say? Hm.

Also a bit of tutorial from this guy here working at left luggage counter.

It seems it may sometimes difficult to catch an animal which has low defence. You might have to use a different tactics, such as fighting with your bare hands or a low level hunting dog or something like that.

Yeah, we know this already too. Don't grind for levels, it really doesn't work in this game!

Also up on the Bird Line counter.

The main tourist attraction in this area is Koshikata, a Beastian town that has just completed a miraculous reconstruction after what happened years ago. The beautiful church built on a pond will surely bring you a peace of mind. Be sure to go and visit!

Ah, so in this version of events Koshikata is not abandoned, huh?

Anyway, going in...

...brings us to this farm. Let's first talk to this lady here.

The Bronco husband and wife who run this breeding farm have so much money that they don't know what to do with it any more. I've heard that they managed to collect all the different animals on this planet, just so they could eat them. I wonder if they will move on to humans too at some point... because it's just the kind of people they are!

Wow, ok.

Talking to the other peron standing at the fence...

Have you ever heard the legend of the "phantom animal"?
[ Nope, havent! ] / Yeah, I've heard of it..

Well, we did hear this one before, but now it's actually relevant to us since we will definitely want to look into it in this scenario.

That animal apparently only appears during heavy blizzards, when you can barely even see in front of you. But I've lived here for 20 years and I've never seen a blizzard that fierce. I'm sure it's something they must have invented just to attract more tourists in winter... it's the kind of thing they'd do!

Any guesses on what this mysterious animal might be?

Also, the public opinion on the Broncos doesn't seem particularly high, huh?

Over here, there is also a hunter.

Rumour has it that here on the farm, they often stiff you with the number of pups you got from animals you entrust to them, and they just sell the rest. I also heard that they are hiding a number of protected animals here, too, without permission! They are not good people.

Ok, let's head over inside.

Inside, we'll first take this staircase down...

Here we find Mr. Bronco.

My name is Bronco, and I'm the owner of this farm! When I was young I had a hard life, but now I'm one of the richest people on the planet, if you forive my bragging. I have everything I've ever wanted, and I've done everything I've ever wanted to do, so I don't mind about dying.

Back upstairs, talking to this guy...

First you have to bring one male and one female animal and pay the cost of keeping time. Then all you have to do is wait for the spring and will probably get to meet a lot of lovely youngsters. It's easier to make money that way than via lottery!

So this is another (minor) game mechanic. As he says, you can bring here a male/female pair and then next spring you get several of their offspring (up to 8). Obviously, this will not give you any species you don't already have, but if you need a bunch of animals to make a piece of equipment, it might save you some in-game time to do this instead of spening time hunting them. Obviously, this is very situational and probably not super useful in most cases.

And then this guy here in the corner...

The trap rental shop in Koshikata is not too bad. After all, all you have to do is wait in a safe place for the animal to get caught. You don't even have to go and collect it yourself! If only their prices were a little bit lower...

We've seen this before, but not yet used--setting traps to catch animals. Eventually Ken will learn to do it himself, without the aid of a shop.

Next, we'll go into this building with glass doors.

First, the gentleman sitting here at the table.

The bar at the hotel in Koshikata is small, but the service is very good and the staff is friendly. If you ever go to Koshikata, make sure to pay it a visit.

We definitely will. Who knows, maybe we'll even run again into Angela, the famous travelling songstress?

We stop by the bank to take out our salary money!

Back outside, we'll head out into the equipment shop.

This person here has an interesting comment...

Here on the breeding farm, the animals sure seem to be making babies like crazy all year round. In order to keep animals in heat until they die, regardless of the season, all you have to do is inject them with a small amount of a certain animal's hormone. Of course, by "certain animal" I mean us, humans.

This farm just seems like overall not a great place.

Outside, another hunter off to the side of the shack.

A man named Poliska from Koshikata is said to be hiding some treasure from the ancient ruins here on this planet. Apparently it's some kind of an unusual statue...

Yeah, we've seen the ruins and the archaeological digs in a few places. We'll have to look more closely into all that.

Here, of course, is the tent where hunters can fight each other for prizes. Let's go inside.

This gentleman here...

Thanks to Dr. Panheim, the tower of the mansion of the former president of Green Pharmaceuticals in Eterna is now a popular dating spot for the young people. The old guy is a real piece of work, isn't he? Anyway, in the end, love is perhaps the only thing remains.

We'll have to check and see how Panheim and/or Elizabeth are doing in this timeline!

This hunter here has a comment.

Women and children may not understand this, but a man's worth is determined based on the number of champions belts that he earns during his lifetime.

Champion's belt is of course one of the rewards you can earn for fighting here.

And so that's about it for here, for now. Most of the rest of the dialogues is the same as before, really.

So at this point, we'll do some more capturing before we proceed. In order to do that, we'll take this tunnel that leads to the area west of Battle Park.

As we approach the tunnel exit, we ca talk to this person for a short reminder.

If you are carrying any rotten meat, better get rid of it since hyenas will smell it and start chasing after you. They don't care if your heart is rotten or not, they just like the smell of rotten meat, that's all.

We are indeed carrying some rotten mean, that's why I picked up that duck meat last time during spring, so it would become rotten by the time summer comes, so we can catch some hyenas. So thanks for the advice, but we'll proceed as we are!

After some wandering, we finally find ourselves accosted by a bunch of hyenas!

Oh, wow, that's quite a few of them! They always show in large groups and it's not so unusual to get 10+ of them in one fight! However, usually most of them will run away pretty much immediately so it's not too big of a deal. Otherwise, the benefit of having a weapon that hits everybody at once is pretty clear in situations like these!

After capturing a pair, it's best to just get rid of the rotten meat immediately, so that they wouldn't keep chasing you!

Over in the far nortwestern part we find...

...some goats! Luckily it's not snowy around so this will be easier than usual.

Finally, walking around these northern forests...

...you will typically run into some weasels disguising themselves as trees!

Turns out, we're right next to Eterna! It's been a while, so let's stop and see how those folks are doing!

As always, the people from left luggage counter have some good advice!

If you underestimate penguins, you may get hurt! I mean, it's not too bad one on one, but you get a large group, they might make you leave the world of the living!

Well, ok, let's head inside...

...where as it turns out is no longer constantly Christmas! Although they didn't exactly take down all the decorations.

The person in white shirt will give us an update on this topic!

Since chairwoman Elizabeth retired, Christmas has become a once a year only event. This town has become so lonely...

You will recall that in Scenario A, this town was quite the tourist trap because of its constant Christmas thing. I guess now that it's a town like any other, tourists aren't coming so much any more.

They do still have a bunch of hotels, though. So let's go in.

If we talk to the priest first...

Ah! Aren't you perhaps...
...the brother of Nek...
...the crewmember on the ark...
...THE BANANA BOY?

Ugh, just go away.

The guy in white:

I've heard that this house was given as a present by the former chairwoman to the family who used to live here before. If I'm not mistaken, I think the guy used to work as a guard in front of her office door.

Ah, yes, I remember that guy from Scenario A. He was a pain in the rear end when you wanted to get an optional/missable scene with Elizabeth because he wouldn't let you in and you had to try many times until he does. I hate him.

If we go over to the inn on the opposite side of the road...

I gave all my money to that hunter Gomez, over in Paraside and asked him to go out and hunt me down a rare animal. Then I will take them all to the breeding farm in Battle Park and hopefully I'll be a millionaire in two years!

Well, hopefully it works out for you, buddy. For us, we'll go and check upstairs.

I've heard that after the change at the helm of Green Pharmaceuticals, the subsidiaries on all planets are looking to transition into completely unmanned operations in order to increase efficieny. As a model case, they've already made G-Factory a robot-only town.

Back outside, we have also this person here.

Are you two heading up to the Confession Tower in the mansion? I hope you're a couple by the time you come back down!

Well, we're already married, actually. Under slightly unusual circumstances, admittedly, but still...

Since we're on a tour, we'll have a look at that inn too.

Dr. Panheim taught us that the life can change with just one word. But should you be honest about what you are thiking and should you say it? It's a bit difficult...

Upstairs...

If you work hard for a couple of years doing "hole diving" in Lina Valley, you can make a fortune. The only question is whether you will have enough physical strenght left afterwards to enjoy spending that money...

Lina Valley is that town right next to Eterna. We haven't been there yet, however we will make our first visit today!

On the other side of the walkway is not another hotel, but a combined animal trader/butcher shop.

These guys don't have anything new to say, so we'll head directly upstairs.

I want to stay a child forever! Adults' faces are so dirty that they always wear makeup to hide it!

Okay, this one is a bit on the unsubtle side.

Next on our tour is this random person here.

The girl who becomes Nek's girlfriend will be quite lucky! He's a little childish at times, but has a good sense of humour and is kind. And not to mention... R.I.C.H! 🎔
Rumour has it that he has inherited such an amount of money that we the commoners can't even fathom!

The priest here is looking for donations.

Half the people who are fleeing this planet have no kind of guarantee regarding their livelihoods once they arrive to their new homeworld! Your goodwill will give them hope for life!

Sure, we'll give 1G. Let's see if it gets us anything.

This lady here has an interesting comment.

"Elizabeth! Please marry me, or else I will jump to my death!" This place is called The Confession Tower, ever since Dr. Panheim successfully proposed to her from the top of it!

It seems the relationship between Elizabeth and Panhein also worked out better in this timeline, huh? Although that proposal is quite something...

Well, ok, let's head into the mansion then.

This guy here in this place which looks like it's where all the Christmas trees have come from.

My father has always been a stubborn man who doesn't listen. Now he's saying that he prefers to share with my dead mother whatever fate brings to this planet. It's quite a bother...

Over on the upper floor next to the entrance to where Elizabeth's office used to be is this rather well dressed lady.

My husband, whenever there is a problem in the family, he always says it's because my grandfather and I don't get along. It's really annoying.

That is a surprisingly random comment...

But anyway.

Going into the office, we can see that Elizabeth is indeed not there. However...

...it gives us a chance to look around the side rooms.

It's all rather elaborate, isn't it?

(By the way, you can get a pig sausage from that fridge in the top left corner. They are all about pig sausages here in Eterna.)

But well, for now there's nothing else to do here, so let's just go up to the top where the Confession Tower is. Presumably this is the place where we had the showdown with Nek in Scenario A!

We can just climb the usual series of steps to get there.

Up there, we find two people. Let's talk to the man first.

Sylvia! Please marry me, or else I will jump to my death!
Huh? Does she not hear me? Hey, you, I'm sorry, but could you please convey my feelings to that woman in green over there?

And then if we approach the woman...

Why does that stupid guy over there keep spouting such nonsense. Could you please tell him to just die then?

Uh, yeah, I guess this confession didn't go so well.

In any case, this is all in Eterna for now. But before we go...

...I'm sure you will be happy to see that this time there isn't anybody imprisoned in those underground cells.

We can also see that this "famous" door is already open. Unfortunately the chests which previously used to contain a weapon (jellyfish needle) and a piece of clothing (sheep sweater), in this scenarin they are empty. Nevertheless, I will remember next time to buy some better clothes/armor. We have upgraded the weapons, but we could improve our defence situation a little bit too. Next time, though.

Anyway, let's get out of here.

Exiting from Eterna, we are informed that it's now Autumn 1992.

Also, since we are right here. Let's go and have a look at Lina Valley, since it's right next door!

That's definitely a weird name for a dungeon/cave, but as always, this really is its official name, as evidenced by this page of the game guide:

But then again, most dungeons in this game have somewhat weird names.

Anyway, getting in...

..we find out that the news bulletin has been updated!

N.K. NEWS BULLETIN

A Miraculous Recovery of the Male Ark Crew Member

Ken Challenger, who was seriously injured in an accident one year ago, has finally returned to the ark project! It is said that it is all thanks to devoted nursing and care by his loving wife, Linda. We sincerely with them both the best of luck!

The person at the left luggage counter has an ominous comment.

Our storage room here is always full! Many people get stuck in Sperm Lina while hole diving and never come back to pick up their belongings...

Continuing inside...

This place definitely doesn't look particularly inviting! But let's talk to this gentleman standing on this terrace.

If you go through the small entrance at the bottom of this valley, that's where Sperm Lina cave is. The animals you catch there can be sold in bulk to the animal dealers here who buy them on behalf of Green Pharmaceuticals.

Note: despite this description, it's just a normal animal dealer same as everywhere else. Also, the cave has other entrances--one is at G-Factory and the other can be reached through that "secret" door in Elizabeth's mansion basement.

Using this staircase takes us indoors.

We stop to withdraw our money from the bank, and have a chat while we do that!

When you spend some time around here, eventually all animals start to look like walking banknotes to you!

We'll check out the animals in the cave soon enough. Most of them are species we have NOT yet seen.

Let's also talk to the person sitting at the table.

There is a pharmacy downstairs right next to the animal dealer. Green Pharmaceuticals is very good at their business. They immediately let you buy medication to heal yourself from injuries as soon as you earn money by selling them the animals you caught! It's very smooth!

On the other side is the equipment shop! (By the way, the above screenshot is not broken/half-loaded. The bottom part is just a part of the wall around the whole structure. But it looks weird from this angle.)

If you are going to G-Factory, you should at least replace your clothes with something that protects well against cold air.

One of the few useless bits of advice given by the NPCs. The outside season and temperature has no influence on Ken and Linda whatsoever. It does, however, influence which animals may or may not appear and how strong or weak they are, as we already know. G-Factory is, of course, located far enough north that it's always covered in snow there.

We can also talk to the guy in the butcher shop next door.

Meat can have some bad side effects... but also it can be useful. A hunter is a true hunter only when they master the art of throwing it. The trick to a good throw is to throw it far... as hard as you can... like your life depends on it!

This might come as a surprise, but he's describing yet another game mechanic. If you are being accosted by animals, you can throw meat on the ground to distract them and get away. Also some animals can only be caught in this way. I will demonstrate it in the next update.

Taking that staircase down, brings us to where, as already mentioned, animal dealer and pharmacy operate their shops right next to each other! First we talk to the animal dealer.

The animals from Sperm Lina are very imporant and save many lives. They are processed into important medications at the Green Pharmaceuticals factory.

And then the person working in the pharmacy.

If you see anybody else around here selling drugs, they are probably unlicensed, so be careful. If anything happens to you after consuming their products, we will not be held responsible.

If I recall correctly, it's in fact possible to find an actual drug dealer in a tent somewhere in Sperm Lina who sells those performance enhancing drugs and stuff. We will look for him when we go there.

Over on the other side of this floor, there is a guy standing in front of a room.

My father raised me on his own all this time while doing hole diving... But now just as I have finally managed to stand on my feet and ready to properly take care of him, he's collapsed...

His father is over here in bed...

I've been hole diving here for 30 years and my insides are all falling apart from the poisonous air. Well, at least with the money I earned, my son was able to go to college and is now head of the labour management office here. If that's all I've achieved with my life... it's more than enough.

If we exit north from this building...

...we get into that area we were able to see from the terrace above. There is a hunter here to talk to.

The white river that runs through the bottom of the valley is actually sulfurous acid flowing out of Sperm Lina. Every step you take in the acid river is a step closer to crossing over to the other world. Isn't it just a lovely place here, no?

Sure seems like it. In fact not many places on this planet seem to be doing particularly great. Walking in acid does in fact damage your HP very slightly, so don't do it. Except in places in the cave where you're forced to as there is no other path.

Also, sulfurous acid in reality is colourless, not white, so this one here is probably mixed with some minerals from the cave or something.

If we take that big staircase up, we reach an area with a couple of metal shacks. You know what, let's just head to the bar, why not?

A few people to talk to here... Let's start with the hunter standing to the left of Ken.

Having to come close to the turtles in the lake, or having to camp alone in the poisonous swamp of Sperm Lina... what do you think is a more fun punishment task for a party?

We can also talk to the very skimpily dressed dancer on the podium

For us dancers it's easy, because we only have to show our bodies to earn money. For singers it's much harder because they have to bare everything down to their hearts, otherwise their audience won't be too happy. They have to really go all out.

The waitress in bunny costume (a bit hard to see but she's standing next to the bar counter), surprisingly only has a capture hint to give us.

Penguins come ashore at the beach near G-Factory only in spring, so if you want to catch one there is your chance.

The big lake to the south can get frozen in winter and you can also find penguins there during that time, so this is not a super useful hint.

Finally we can talk to that lady standing by the sink in the kitchen.

Thar singer Angela, I don't like her. She's so proud of her success that she'd never perform in a seedy bar like ours, even if we ask her to. She says that the air here in town is bad for her throat. But she's lying, because she's never even been here!

Well, I don't know, with all the acid it seems to me that Angela has a valid point here. Anyway, maybe we'll run into her somewhere over the course of our adventure? Let's hope so!

Taking that staircase up...

...we get to the area where the guest bedrooms are. We can of course talk to the guests, as always.

Every since I was a kid, I was wondering about how the word "gently caress" can be used both to describe an act that creates a new life and also the act of murdering someone. It's curious that people are able to use this word without ever being confused which particular meaning is used at a specific time...

Dude, you definitely think too much.

The reception desk for the inn is on the other side.

I've heard there is an animal around K-24 area which specialises only in night attacks without ever showing up at daytime. If they are so shy, they must be very cute.

And this shows why you really need to keep talking to all NPCs constantly. Basically, we're now quite far up north, but the location K-24 is all the way down in the caves of Samakia, so the animal this is referring to is the hydra, which you can only catch if you get attacked while camping overnight. Cute they are not, though!

Back outside, there is this guy standing by the barrels...

For those who want to earn a lot of money at the cost of their lives and health... there is no more obvious place to do so than Lina Valley.

One of the other shacks houses a doctor who will patch you up if you get knocked out in battle. We're not here to talk to him, though...

I only came in to show you what the hospital beds look like here.

Around the back and in the corner here is another person...

If the animals are going to kill you already anyway, it would be nice if they would at least eat all of you. But most of the time, it's only about half, so that's pretty annoying.

And then, taking this staircase down...

...leads into the house.

In autumn , swallows appear off the coast at G-01 peninsula, gliding on the westerly wind. They are travellers, just like us humans... except, unlike us, they have somewhere to go to.

At the other end of the house, there's another person.

You know, this planet is not too bad. There's still lot to like about it. So you might as well relax and wait for the Grim Reaper to come and give you a kiss. At least then you can be happy in knowming that you've been beaten by someone much stronger than yourself.

All righty then. That's all we're going to do here for now, so let's make our exit.

While we book our flight, we can have a short chat with the Bird Line employee.

A friend of mine told me that in the olden days, Beastians were able to use a whistle to call a Pterano bird whenver they wanted. If people could do that today, our company would surely go bankrupt. That worries me a lot, but I try not to think about it.

Of course, you will recall that Bird Line does provide a "pickup" service, but it's not cheap. However, it should not surprise you that the stuff she's talking about is indeed an ability Ken will be able to learn soon! However, this ability is not learned by leveling up, but you have to trigger a specific event in-game to get it. We will of course make sure to do so when the time comes.

Anyway, let's take a flight back to Hospico for now.

We won't be going inside this time (also, man, it's still completely flooded around here, huh?).

Instead, we'll head to this cave, which is a bit southeast.

This place is called Dagpond and I guess it's also a bit flooded at the moment. No matter, we have a thing to do here.

We'll head up this way...

On the way, we can see this interesting situation. Because of the fact that the whole area is flooded at the moment, there is here a staircase which is not accessible! I guess we would have to come during a "drier" season, such as summer or winter if we wanted to be able to go downstairs.

Anyway, eventually...

...we can find here some hermit crabs to add to our tally.

Eventually, we get to this area, which is also flooded. But thanks to that fact, we are able to find here another new species!

The ducks!

So they only actually appear during those two seasons during the times the area is flooded. Also don't ask me to explain what is going on with their legs. Also, I know you are already curious how much more crazy did they look in the PC Engine version, and so I'll tell you. Actually the remake version looks exactly the same as the PC Engine original. This is one of the few species which really didn't undergo any design changes at all.

Anyway, after this we can make our way out back to the exit.

We'll take this tunnel back towards Hardia.

Before we go back, we'll head a bit south first...

...to catch some dogs!

Ok, now let's head back to the ark. By the way, in the next update, we'll finally start figuring out what is up with those ruins that you can see in a few places around the world (like the one visible here on the screenshot).

Back in the ark, we'll hand in everything we've caught today.

We're informed that we have so far captured 20 species total. So we still have a full 100 to go. This will take a bit of time, I think.

Well, ok. I think we can stop here for toda--

Actually wait, I almost forgot.

We still have that message that we haven't listened to! Let's head quickly into Hardia and see what that's all about.

The message is from a person unknown to us.

Um... I... Uh, my name is Spectra. I am currently at the Hardia hotel...
Um...
Actually, I... wanted to ask you for a favour... if that would be ok to do.
I'm in the room furthest in the back. Um... if you could come as soon as possible.
I will be waiting for you...

That was kind of weird.

But I guess she's waiting for us here at the hotel, so we should go and have a chat. Next time, though.

So this was kind a bit of a leisurely start to this scenario still, however from now on things are going start to happen a bit more, including also broadening of our exploration.

Today, a nice collage with illustrations of bits from various cutscenes!

Speech bubble translations, kind of in three columns from the left:

KANZENBAN = The complete version (also the title under which the Sega Saturn port was sold).

(Left)
1. Insect-robot: "3... 2... 1... Attack!"
2. Emory and Sachiko: "How about Sachiko!!"
3. Ark drops from the sky: "What is this!?" "The ship of salvation!!"

(Middle)
1. Ken: "Ken attacks!!"
2. Linda: "Easy-peasy, right?"

(Right)
1. Nek and Elizabeth: "Hurry up and get started..."
2. Ben doing the presentation: "Absolutely no guarantees!"
3. Ken and Linda with the dogs: "I'm tired..."

Also... What do you think, are we going to run out of illustrations before finishing the game?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Things have been concerningly normal so far...

My guess for what's in the blizzard is a Yeti.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

GilliamYaeger posted:

What do you mean? This game's always totally ordinary- it's hardly concerning, I'd think.

The hospital beds being shaped like coffins is a dark, but good touch.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

My guess for what's in the blizzard is a Yeti.

Could also be a polar bear (or yeti-as-polar bead) or a walrus. Maybe a wendigo? I think those tended to be winter-related in their portrayal.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
It’s a butterfly, and it also caused the storm by flapping its wings.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

We hadn't seen any kind of bears yet, I wonder how wild Linda^3 bears would be.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

We hadn't seen any kind of bears yet, I wonder how wild Linda^3 bears would be.

But we've already seen Linda's dad :confused:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Randalor posted:

But we've already seen Linda's dad :confused:

Not that kind of bear.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Robindaybird posted:

Not that kind of bear.

In this game? They could easily be one and the same.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

quote:

If the animals are going to kill you already anyway, it would be nice if they would at least eat all of you. But most of the time, it's only about half, so that's pretty annoying.

lol, this is one of my favorite lines of dialogue so far

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Doc Hawkins posted:

lol, this is one of my favorite lines of dialogue so far

Yeah the writing in game is definitely on point, in particular the NPC dialogues are just fantastic! :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

quote:

If you underestimate penguins, you may get hurt! I mean, it's not too bad one on one, but you get a large group, they might make you leave the world of the living!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnguishedTintedApe-mobile.mp4

checks out

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

just caught up, loving this lp.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

just caught up, loving this lp.
I regret that I can only experience it for the first time once.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

ivantod posted:

Also, sulfurous acid in reality is colourless, not white, so this one here is probably mixed with some minerals from the cave or something.[/i]
Probably sulfuric (H2SO4) not sulfurous (H2SO3) acid there (the latter exists only as a technicality), and the white thing would likely be the solid SO3 in fumes above it.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

TitanG posted:

Probably sulfuric (H2SO4) not sulfurous (H2SO3) acid there (the latter exists only as a technicality), and the white thing would likely be the solid SO3 in fumes above it.

To be honest, last time I had anything to do with chemistry was back in high school, but in the game text it's definitely talking about sulfurous acid (亜硫酸) and not sulfuric acid (硫酸). But this could be just a thing because they though "sulfurous" sounds more esoteric or something.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

a small amount of a certain animal's hormone

I can't think of any hormone we have that would have that effect on animals.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Almost all of the animals are alien horrors, though. Only dogs are normal. So, who knows what their reaction to human hormones is gonna be.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bloodly posted:

buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Geemer posted:

Almost all of the animals are alien horrors, though. Only dogs are normal. So, who knows what their reaction to human hormones is gonna be.

Also, humans in-setting may be weirder than they look.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sum Gai posted:

Also, humans in-setting may be weirder than they look.

oh they're weird all right

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

I look at you and wham, I'm head over heals
            I guess that love is like a banana peel
                    -- Elvis Presley

Welcome back to Scenario C. In this world, everything is surprisingly normal. Well, there is a certain obsession with bananas, but other than that.

When we left off, we had just finished listening to a message from a person named "Spectra", who told us to come over to the hotel and talk to here.

On the way, we can stop for a short chat with the receptionist...

I know it's nice to camp outside under the moonlight while keeping each other warm, but why not a bit of a change of pace sometimes? There are couples who come to stay here in the hotel sometimes, even though they have a house of their own. In addition, in winter when food is less plentiful, there may be some stronger animals roaming in the vicinity of towns, so you can never be too careful!

So the usual story about trying to entice us to stay at the hotel... but there is genuinely no reason to spend money on that in this game, especially when Ken learns the "camp" ability already at level 4! Why bother sleeping at the hotel?

Anyway, the person we came here to see...

...in the room all the way in the back. Let's see what she has to say!

Um... nice to meet you. I am Spectra.
Sorry to make you come all this way, but... I have a bit of a bad leg, so please excuse me for sitting down.
So, um... the leader of the pack of wild dogs called "Fang", have you heard of him?
Actually, what I want to ask you is... to take him down!
Otherwise, the number of his victims will only go up and even my husband and two sons were mauled to death by him!
If I could, I would do it myself, but... as you can see, I'm not quite fit enough for that.
Please! Please, make him... make Fang go to hell!
[ Leave it to me! ] / And what do I get in return? / I respectfully decline.
Thank you so much!
Um... as a way of thanks... in exchange for the proof that you have defeated Fang, I will give you the key for the "forbidden room" on the second floor of the church in Minago!

So this is kind of interesting, because as you might guess, it isn't even possible to get this key in Scenario A or B, because you need this person to be there to give it to you, and she obviously isn't! One of the reasons why I postponed dealing with keys until now, since as you can see, you can't even get all of them in previous scenarios. But now we can, and so we will.

As a matter of fact, we have heard about Fang before. It was mentioned by the old gentleman sitting upstairs in the hotel's bar. He told us about Fang having slaughtered a whole family in Minago once. But I guess maybe that was some other family since she clearly survived?

So then the question remains, where would one go looking for this "Fang"? Well, this was a while ago, but you might remember that during our exploration treks in Scenario B, at one point in one of the caves we came across somebody talking about a "nest" of wild dogs! The place in question was Karagoram, so that's where we'll head again. But it's interesting to note that if you use the first two scenarios to do a bit of exploration and get an idea where some things are, this then allows you to save a bit of time at this point!

In any case, Karagoram is just a bit to the south east from Hardia, so we can get there quite easily.

We need to go deeper!

And the back up on the other side. Having detailed maps of all dungeons in the game guide is a lifesaver as they can be confusingly laid out:

You can see here on the map how there are multiple "unconnected" sections on this floor, which can only be reached by a right combination of up and down stairs!

Over here is a chest, but it only contains a 50HP recovery tablet.

Oh hey, here is an animal we can catch!

Lizards!

We pass by what look like some bone remains... possibly previous victims of Fang's?

Ah, I think we might have found the dog nest!

Yeah, that big guy there is probably Fang himself. For once, we actually get what almost seems like a mini-boss fight. But don't worry. He's easier to defeat than roses.

Here we go! First, looks like he brought help. Second, what in the world is that thing!

So, let's see. A bit similar to the Hume fight, this guy hits rather hard, so it's important to have proper defence so you don't get one shot with him. So in order to achieve that, first of all we'll use the transform option on Linda (she is faster and usually gets a turn before Ken).

Linda transforms into a rabbit-woman for an extra +30 in defence. It also gives her +20 attack, but that's less critical at this time. After this, she will immediately use her Armored Skin ability for an additional +26 in defence. This is good, but not enough, so Ken will have to also help out here.

Ken transforms into a dolphin, which gives him +56 to his attack power. It does also decrease his defence and HP, but that's ok since we'll use the old trick of Linda taking the hits for him.

Unfortunately, Fang's hits are still a little too strong! In order to solve this, Ken will use the best special ability that has ever existed in any JRPG.

Ken uses Smelly Fart ability!

It causes Fang's attack power to go down by a whole 71! Now we're talking!

Now we just do the usual thing where Linda will defend Ken, and Ken will use his Desperate Attack ability to deal damage. This gives him an additional +64 in attack power, but at the cost of -64 in defence. Hence why we need Linda to defend him.

But it results in some nice hits, here you can see Ken dealing a whole 138 damage to Fang.

I wasn't bothering too much with them, but after a couple of turns, Fang's posse decide to cowardly run away so we don't even have to deal with them at all.

In any case, at this point we can just continue with our strategy for an additional couple of turns until we're done with this fight.

So you can click above to see this fight in a video form. I highly recommend that you do, since you absolutely have to see/hear the audio and visuals that accompany the Smelly fart ability when Ken uses it! Seriously, don't miss it!

In the end only the skull remains and the rest of the dogs disperse. If we examine the skull...

Well, I guess that'll do as a proof for Spectra!

Before we head back to her, however, we'll visit another place in this cavern.

You might remember this guy here guarding the stairs...

Due to budget cuts or something, I guess I'm the only guard on duty now. But don't worry I'm good enough to stand guard on my own. Really, don't worry.

Ah, I guess he's guading those stairs in case dogs try to come down. Well, we've deal with Fang, so probably less of an issue now.

Down here, we find again those people who seem to be looking for a source of water in order to rejuvenate some eggs. Let's talk to the lady.

About 100 years ago before this excavation, there used to be a calcareous underground lake here. It seems to have been a habitat of a now extinct animal species. But, according to some research, the animal's eggs have an arachnid structure which can withstand a long dry season. So they think that the animal can come back if water is restored to this site as like there used to be!

Inside the tent is another scientist.

I guess the excavation budged has finally run out, huh... But I won't give up! If the machines stop working, I will keep digging with my bare hands! Oh, by the way... how about donating some money for the furthering of science?
[ I'd be happy to. ] / Nope.

Sure, we'll give them a few G. Let's see if it helps them somehow!

Thank you, young people! When the water comes out, I'll let you drink as much as you want, or swim in it!

Well, that was interesting, but it seems we'll have to come back at some point to see if there is going to be any result. Last time when we were here in Scenario B, we didn't have an option to donate money, that's for sure.

In any case, we're basically done here, so now let's head back to Hardia to report on our successful mission to get rid of Fang.

Ah... that big fang you have with you... could it be...?
......!!!
You did it, didn't you! You did it! Fang is not of this world any more! Now, finally, my husband and my kids can rest in peace! Thank you so much! Thank you so much!
Here is the key for the "forbidden room" on the second floor of the church in Minago. Please thake it.

Ken obtained the "forbidden key".

And so, we have obtained our first proper key to a locked room! Of course there are still lots more to be found in the world before we finish the game.

We are also done with this whole thing, so we'll be on our way now.

As we're about to leave, we're interrupted by the receptionist.

Customer, excuse me please...
I've noticed you come a few times into the room in the back...
Uh, I'm not sure how to say it, but... that room is haunted... A woman's ghost visits it sometimes.
A pack of wild dogs killed her husband and her child right in front of her. And then she ended up hanging herself right in that room.
I heard she was a cleric in the Minago church, but despite that it looks like she was not able to be reincarnated.
What a shame, right?

I guess we should have suspected something when she said that her name was "Spectra". But we didn't. At least we should have remembered from one of the previous scenarios that it has been mentioned to us about a female ghost which haunts the hotel.

All right, let's head to Minago and find what is in this "forbidden room"!

As mentioned, it's in the church...

...over here on the second floor!

First of all, there is a chest here. It contains simply a "gold nugget" which can be sold for 6400 G.

On the other side is one of those computers which can be used to release the animals from cryogenic storage. This one in particular will give you a pair of sea cucumbers. But sea cucumbers can be easily found on the overworld, so this is not a huge help. Anyway, we'll keep this pair as backup if we really end up having trouble catching them properly. (Spoiler alert: we won't have any trouble with that.)

But ok, let's continue with our exploration and let's catch a couple of new species for a change!

For this we'll go back to this tunnel leading from Hardia to the northern part of the world.

We'll follow this mountain range towards the west.

On the way we get another message notification.

Also on the way...

...we can catch some horses.

Eventually we reach another cave entrance. We haven't been here before.

This place is called Shanai and this tent contains...

...a person who will explain to us this cave's gimmick.

If you proceed onward, be careful because the ground is unsteady and may collapse underfoot. Be especially careful near the walls as the ground there is quite fragile. If you do fall down, take the dogs out of your party immediately! You don't want them to be eaten by an octopus!

That's ok, I have already not been using dogs for a while now. Also, we have indeed come here to catch some octopuses, so falling down a hole is not a problem! It's also not necessary, just a quicker way to get down and obviously everything is reachable through normal stairs.

As we continue into the cave, indeed if we come close to a wall in certain spots...

Oops.

We seem to have fallen into a large open area...

It's swarming with octopuses here!

A spider or an octopus? You be the judge!

The only issue here is that the ground makes you walk slowly and the octopuses will chase you relentlessly, so you might have to fight them a bunch of times I guess.

Also, they looked a lot weirder in the original PC Engine version:

A brain or an octopus? You be the judge!

Don't miss this chest here in the corner, because...

We'll finally make use of this a bit later today! It's about time, right?

But getting back to hunting for a moment, there is another new species here!

It's the tanuki! Note that the real-life tanuki definitely don't have oversized testicles. That only applies to the magical ones!

Unfortunately I cannot give you here any additional weirdness by posting the PC Engine version, because they looked the same in the original.

Also for the item mentioned there "oban koban", oban and koban are old Japanese coins, and this item indeed sells for a whole 36,000 G, so if you have extra tanukis which you don't need it's probably a good idea to try to get it. But as we've seen, money is not a big pain in this game, so don't worry about it too much.

If we keep exploring we can find this staircase...

...which contains a small area with a chest. The chest contains a large golden nugget, which can be sold for around 12,000 G. Not too bad for a couple of minutes work!

With this, we can leave for now. But we will be back as there are more species here to be found.

Outside, it's now Winter 1992.

We'll stop briefly by the ark to hand in what we have so far.

Just as we're about to do it, we get another message notification! We really do seem to be getting a lot of these lately.

In any case, the robot tells us that we're now at 24 out of 120.

While we're here, let's check out at least ONE of those messages we have waiting for us! Surprisingly the message is from Panheim!

Hello... This is Panheim, the former head of development at Green Pharma. I heard about your reputation and I am contacting you because I want to ask you to help me.
Can you write this down? There is a stone cave around the W-17 area, this is the site of the famous archaeological discovery of Marblepolis from a few years ago. Recently there was a sudden infestation of chickens there in the main area. I am in need of a couple of pieces of chicken meat. That's two chicken meats...
Actually, my wife is sick... I think I can make a proper medication with two pieces of chicken meat... So just bring them to my lab at Hospico. Be careful, not to Eterna, since I'm not there any more.

Well, ok, this should be pretty easy, right? However, before we do that, let's first head over to Hospico and see what it looks like in this version of events!

At the Hospico entrance, there is a person to talk to...

The happier the humans are, the bigger the fall they will experience from there. So I think it's best to be moderate in everything.

First we'll head in here where animal dealer and equipment shop are.

We'll talk to the equipment guys here.

Dr Flora's shapely lips are the source of strange botanical tales and mysteriously tasting kisses. Both are as enchanting and unforgettable as her tanned skin.

We can sell to this guy the gold nuggets we have for a total of almost 20,000 G. Pretty good!

Looking at his list of things that we can buy...

...there is a curious item here: "a filling banana", for only 4 G. Hm, perhaps we'll find out more what that's all about if we keep talking to people?

The meat shop next door.

Dr. Flora's filling bananas are really hurting our business! We can't compete in taste, quantity, price or nutritional value. There's literally nothing we can do about it!

Ah, well this explains it. Meat can normally mostly be used to replenish HP apart from any other effects it may have. So these "filling bananas" also recover HP, but they are also really cheap! I guess we'll try them at some point and see what amount of HP they restore.

Let's continue our tour!

Let's talk to the people waiting here. First this lady.

Some years ago, Dr. Emory was inspired by the sight of his daughter suffering from a heart defect. And now his cloned organs are saving tens of thousands of lives every year! He's practically god-like!

Huh, maybe this time he didn't turn into an evil genius in the process?

Next, we talk to the gentlemant in the middle.

Of you who volunteered to collect all the animals... most people will think that you don't really have that much to do. So they will be asking you to do all kinds of favours to them. Well, just do the best you can, ok?

You know, that's true. People HAVE been asking us to do stuff for them! What's that all about?

Next, we'll go over here...

...and talk to the hospital director.

I have seen a lot of patients until now, and I can tell you one thing: even if your body is a little damaged, even if you lose almost everything, there is still something good to live for! That's all there is to it.

Deep.

But, we'll continue back outside...

...over to where the scientists' labs are located.

First, this lady here.

Dr. Flora's filling bananas! They don't care in what kind of climate they grow and they bear fruit all spring, summer, winter and autumn! If it spreads throughout the Federation, mankind will be free of hunger for the first time since its birth!

Going into the first house...

...it is of course, Dr. Flora's lab! Note also that in the following conversation the choices don't matter.

Hello! I am Flora! Now that I'm done making a talking flower, I'm trying to decide what kind of flower to make next! Which of these do you think would be the most interesting?
The flower that can use tools. / The flower that is self-aware. / The flower that walks upright. / The flower that can manipulate fire.
Then which of these do you think would be the most interesting?
The cannibalistic flower. / The flower that eats itself. / The flower that eats everything. / The flower that eats only gourmet food.
Then, which one of these?
The flower that can give birth to human children. / The flower that can impregnate humans.
Yes! That's what I'll do next! I'll make sure to send one pot to your house too!

This woman is weird. Let's get out of here.

In front of the second house is a pregnant lady.

Miss Sachiko is the most famous person in Hospico! Even the most selfish male patient will always answer "Yes" when she asks them to do something! The other one is Nekky the Santa! He's so good with children, and although he never even mentions it, he donates one million G to this hospital every season!

Going inside...

...this one is, as before, the lab of Dr. Panheim. He's ever here for once! But first, let's see what his assistant has to say.

While they were on vacation, Dr. Panheim's wife was scratched by a weasel. Normally you would recover with only a slight fever, but it turned out that she's allergic. Poor Dr. Panheim, she's been in a come ever since... and he was so excited for their honeymoon "redo"!

Ok, let's talk to Panheim now.

Hm? Oh, it's you. Ken and Linda, right? Sorry for calling you out of the blue like that. My dear Elizabeth is sleeping here in this pod.
By the way, can you bring me that meat? I know it's a lot to ask, but we don't have too much time... two years from now, in Autumn, is the final deadline for us to leave this planet. But if I am not able to cure her... my wife will not be able to come with me... ever again.
Please, Ken.
Oh, my dear Elizabeth... if only you could open your eyes again!
If you could bring me that chicken meat, I have a couple of things that I can give you in return!

Well, ok. I do wonder what we'll get in return. He did say "a couple" of things, right?

We'll deal with the chickens in a moment, but for now let's just finish our tour of Hospico.

Finally, we proceed to the last house, which of course belongs to Emory! There is a person in blue here (and yes that's definitely Sachiko there tending the flower bed!).

Dr. Flora dreams of creating a new kind of organism that combines the best parts of plants and animals! I wonder if it will be able to live for about 500 years only on sunlight and water? Do you think that would be a boring kind of existence?

All right, next is Sachiko.

[ They are! ] / Not as pretty as you!
With father's growth stimulant, the flowers bloom already after three days from being planted!

Huh, this is actually the same dialogue from Scenario B. Ok, then, let's go inside.

Inside is just Emory.

She keeps saying things like, "I'll never be able to find anybody better than my father, so I will never marry!"
Since I always want to be an amazing father, this is a bit of a problem... Hehehehe...

Yeah, he's still weird.

But for us, let's head into the hospital building across from his house.

These stairs lead down to the morgue, but there isn't anything new to be seen or found there, so we don't need to worry about it.

Instead, we'll go and talk to this gentleman here.

Ever since resigning her position at the company, Chairwoman Elizabeth has been travelling around the world with her husband. I do envy people who are able to afford something like that...

Next, we'll talk to this lady here.

Most animals run away when they see humans. It makes sense, because they know that only humans attack even when they are not hungry!

Next, we'll take that staircase to go to the upper floor.

It's a bit of a fad right now among ladies to eat these "filling bananas", because they help with the weight loss. But at the same time, they make you feel fuller--they expand to twice the size when you put them in your mouth.

We can also talk to that nurse behind the counter...

The nurses here are always nice to you, right? Want to know why?
Tell me! / Is it because I'm so handsome?

Normally I would just choose one answer, but both of these are important! The first, because it gives a bit of a back story and the second because it's just plain funny. So, if you choose the first option:

There used to work a midwife here who was nicknamed, "The right hand of the Holy Mother". She was in her twenties, and eventually fell in love with a patient. She knew that the patient had an incurable illness, but she proposed to him and made him accept to marry her! He happened to be in the same Ranger corps as you and the nurses here still kind of have a weakness for that kind of thing.

If you choose the second option...

There's a washrooom next to the stairs which lead to the roof. Inside the washroom, you can cool your head a bit. After that please make use of a mirror mounted about 20cm above the faucet.

I guess we might as well head to the roof to see if there's anybody there!

On the way, we'll stop by these two nurses and see what they have to say.

Sometimes, Beastian babies are born with vestigial horns, tails, gills and scales. But for most of them, they disappear within a couple of weeks. Only rarely do they stay past that.

An interesting tidbit.

The other nurse:

For babies, as soon as they are weaned, their poop starts to smell really bad. Whever I smell it, I think, "Well, this one is no longer an angel. Now it will become human and there's no turning back. Congratulations... I guess?"

All right, to the roof!

Oh, hey, it's Kens' mum!

You know, I used to work here and was a midwife of some renown. This is where I met your dad, actually, so I come here a bit to revisit my youth.

Oh, so she was the midwife who... Well at least this hints that we may yet find out what happened to Ken's actual dad by the end of the game!

Anyway, we'll go all the way back inside...

...over to this room. Let's talk to the nurse first.

Sachiko, Sachiko, Sachiko, from morning till night. I can understand because his daughter is cute, but in Dr. Emory's case I think he takes it too far so it's a bit weird. I think if Sachiko tells him she's getting married, he may yet kill the unlucky guy. Hehe, too bad for little Nek...

Let's also talk to the old dude here.

I really envy women. Being able to nurture a new life in your own body... and with men, it's all over with just a quick squirt. You and me... I think we both lost out by being born as men, didn't we? Next time I'm born, I definitely want to be born in a body that is not short of a uterus!

Anyway, this guy here, next to some equipment...

If you ever see catfish swimming in a pool in a town... get out of there as quickly as you can before you get burned to a crisp! They're super strong!

Yeah, we know. Hence not really going be catching any catfish until we gain a good few more levels!

But all right. That's enough of that for now, so let's head out and catch some chickens (and earthworms in the process).

For that we go down to Marblepolis, slightly to the south east from Hospico...

Here, of course, we have these guys who are working on the excavation...

I don't know where they even came from! But recently I can't do any work any more because of these chickens who are playing with fire!

Remeber that chickens have powerful fire based attacks!

The other guy:

If you go down into these ruins, you will find a number of stones that you can move... but better not. There are sometimes gnarly things underneath!

Inside the tent...

Some guy told me about seeing a purple lion down here... but I think he must have been daydreaming. These days it seems to happen a lot, but there's no way such a thing exists! Anyway, I'm not going to go and check. It's not that I'm afraid of the purple lion... but chickens are another matter!

And the other tent...

Don't move those stones without permission! They are placed where they are supposed to be!

And yeah, the game is strongly trying to get you to, in fact, try moving any stone that can be moved. As you might recall it unlocks a staircase to that weird place with animals status and what looks like teleporters! We will find out what those are for later on in this scenario.

Anyway, down in the ruins, we will of course move a stone (well, you can't even avoid moving this one here in any case!).

This, of course, triggers some earthworms which we need for our collection!

Next is of course, chickens, one of which you can see here. As we know from before, they will try to run away, so you have to chase them. But there is another way to approach them, which is actually better.

You can take a piece of meat from your inventory...

...and throw it on the ground, like so! This will distract the animal, and allow you to get a guaranteed back attack!

This is quite nice, since chickens are quite fast and we are a bit underleveled, so this lets us get a bit ahead of them at the start of the battle.

So finally I manage to get enough chickens for us and also two extra to convert into meat for Panheim!

With that done, let's head back to Panheim's lab and give him the requested items!

Back in Hospico...

Ken handed over 2 pieces of chiken meat.

He goes over to prepare the medication for a while. And then, he opens the capsule, and...

This does indeed cause Elizabeth to wake up from her coma!

Honey, I just had a horrifying draeam... It was absolutely terrible!

Hey, so in this version of the events she just grew old normally and didn't go crazy!

Anyway, Panheim interrupts us for a moment.

I don't know how to repay you guys! Thank you so much! I know it's not enough as a thanks, but I want you to have this!

Ken received "Blue Beastman Statue".

Actually, I have one more present for you, Ken.

Ken is forced to receive "Chanelle no 5.".

It's a medication which helps with "that", so try using it. Well, it worked for me, anyway.

It's another one of those items that give random stat increases in battle. Yes, the incorrect spelling is part of the joke.

About that beastman statue (blue)... we'll be making use of it very soon, don't worry.

Before we leave, let's talk to Elizabeth one more time and find out more about her dream.

It was just such a scary dream!
I was a vampire and I was sucking the blood of young women. It was tasting so sweet and delicious, like an overripe persimmon. And I was doing it to stay forever young.
But my husband ended up growing old without me! That was the scariest part!

Uh, about that dream... Actually, you know what. Better not.

Ok, now we can leave. We have a couple more small things to do today, so let's head a bit to the southern area.

Of course, the only place in the south which still has Bird Line service is Dogy Figh, so we'll head there first.

We'll leave the tour of the town for another time--we do need to figure out what the dog fighting ring owner and his weird family are up to these days! But for now, let's head eastwards to Laguna Lodge, Dr. Emory's residence.

It is of course reached via this tunnel.

The door is now open, so we can just walk straight through.

While we're here let's check out if somebody is around!

Turns out, Emory is actually here now. He is also conveniently blocking the access to that chest by standing in this exact spot! Those dolls are still there on the table next to him, which we've looked at in the previous scenario. Let's talk to him.

By the way, do you know what is the meaning of these two dolls? They are Dharma and The Lucky Cat. In Jipon, the country where I'm originally from, they are said to bring good luck and every house seems to have them!

Although the lucky cat is, of course, "Maneki neko" doll, as we've discussed about previously in the thread, here the game literally calls it just "lucky cat" in English. But it's nice to get a bit of an in-game explanation about the dolls. Conveniently, I'm not going to dwell too much on what he just said his country of origin is called, and we'll simply be on our way now!

We'll take the southern exit from his house, the one which leads into the lake here.

On the eastern side of this small lake is one of these ruin things that we've been seeing everywhere around the planet.

LET'S GO INSIDE!

It's one of those mysterious teleporters, this time surrounded by animal statues!

A small distraction...

...because just as we come in, another message notification pops up! Is anybody counting how many this is already?

Anyway, in front of the wall, there is some kind of a pedestal with a statue on it. Let's examine it.

Well, I mean, yes, I guess. Kind of that's why we came here.

Ken put the beastman necklace on the long-necked beastman statue.

(Try saying that ten times fast.)

The teleporter starts to glow, like it's now active!

I mean...

...let's step on it, how bad can it be, right?

We arrive at another place, which the game helpfully indicates is named "Holy Hole".

Huh.

Oh, there's another one. And this one is lit, too.

And a whole bunch of chests, "guarded" by beastman statues!

They are all empty, except...

...this one here. So now we have a silver statue and a blue one from Panhem. Curious. Did they perhaps use to contain statues of other colours that got looted at some point and scattered around the world? Well we'll definitely try to find them all!

There doesn't seem to be anything else in this big hall, so...

...we can head south.

We pass by some tents and equipment, but there's no one around to talk to about what just happened.

Evenutally we make our way out. It seems we're still in the southern area, but... where exactly? Let's check out our helpful satnav!

So, we stepped on the teleporter near Laguna Lodge. On the map, this location is indicated by the white line pointing at it (J-17). On the other hand, our current location is indicated by the rectangle marker at H-23. Of note here, is the this H-23 location is not actually reachable by walking! It's surrounded by the mountains on the west and north (along coordinates I and 19), and the water around K-19 is as you can see a bit darker coloured, which means it's too deep to walk through. Of course, this location is still reachable by using the Bird Line "drop-off" service, so that's not the issue. What is the issue is that it costs around 2000 G every time you use it.

Bottom line is, it looks like there is a network (?) of teleporters on this planet which just might allow us to traverse the place quicker.

And who knows, there just might be one or two which lead to some unexpected places?

And we also still don't know what those differently coloured statues are for... but at least we've figured out something to do with the necklaces!

All right, we'll stop here for today. You probably are already getting an idea how this scenario will work in general, but in any case, we'll talk about it in more detail next time!

Today we have an illustration depicting the game's main characters.

Why can't they just look normal?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad that one thing is consistent in this game in spite of how weird it is.

No matter the timeline, Emory is weird in all the bad ways.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

> Ken transforms into a dolphin
> Ken uses Smelly Fart
> It's Super Effective!

...and yet, considering some of the NPC dialogue you also posted, I'm not actually sure that's the strangest part of this update. Or this game.

:psyduck:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dr. Flora is either going to create Audrey II or a generic hentai monster - I'm not sure which would be worse to receive.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kind of iconic that all these randos are asking Ken to do side quests for them because they know the hosed up wildlife of Neo Kenya isn't worth preserving.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
This completely normal game still manages to have some of the most... unique NPC dialogue.

Also chicken nuggets cures infected weasel bites allergy things, who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Those aren't octopuses or ticks, they're obviously octorocks.