Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Curious to learn how you'd go about even getting to level 200. It's not hard to hit 150-ish with evolved Pentagram and Crown on Toastie (apparently he gets unmentioned growth bonuses), but it seems like getting further would require some curse, but you also need to prioritize Laurel to not instantly die, so there must be some kind of optimal order.

And even then, your reward is Death becoming non-lethal but still possessing a million HP so...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

John Murdoch posted:

Curious to learn how you'd go about even getting to level 200. It's not hard to hit 150-ish with evolved Pentagram and Crown on Toastie (apparently he gets unmentioned growth bonuses), but it seems like getting further would require some curse, but you also need to prioritize Laurel to not instantly die, so there must be some kind of optimal order.

And even then, your reward is Death becoming non-lethal but still possessing a million HP so...?

To get past level 200 you need to drop a bunch of those crosses that cast pentagram, but leave them alone. You'll need to roughly remember, or map their location. Try to keep them pretty close. I don't know the exact ideal weapons build but the process works that in the last minute you start picking those up frantically. They'll murder the whole screen for red gems. Last I saw I think the record is level 220.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Actually cleared Milk Factory for the first time, and on Hyper Mode, too. I’m convinced that it’s nigh-impossible to actual do enough damage to keep up with the final minute of spawns, I wound up just fleeing for my life with the Wings speed buff, staying mobile enough that there was enough of a gap to get through. And I still almost died.

Upgraded Runetracer is pretty good, although Armor isn’t exactly the greatest accessory.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It depends on your build how the last minute on Hyper milk factory will go. I ended up playing it quite a bit during the previous update, trying to finish rounds with full Curse (Curse 5 upgrade, Lama Ladonna as the character and Skull O'Maniac as a passive).

This build got sketchy in the final minutes. It involved cautious movement and picking up red orbs so I could level up and pick floor meats for healing. I've repeated it with unupgraded Garlic instead of upgraded Song of Mana and it was pretty much the same.

This build replaces the early item (Song of Mana/Garlic) with the upgraded bird. It is super tricky to pull off, because if you don't get upgrades for the right things early on you will be overwhelmed by skeleton swarms before 10 minutes in. But the end result was that the final minute was safe. The big golem bois couldn't touch me.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 12, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I love going Vandalier because it turns every run onto a high stakes game of planning upgrades so I don't die 15 minutes in. Re-roll banish helps, but you still got to choose wisely.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
Update today, interesting new item and character/weapon unlock, a handful of new achievements to get. Both character and weapon are cute and fun!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

A Scary Little Dog posted:

Update today, interesting new item and character/weapon unlock, a handful of new achievements to get. Both character and weapon are cute and fun!

I will never upgrade this weapon.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I don’t know if this was already posted and I missed it, but it makes total sense that the dev used to make slot machines: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/vampire-survivors-interview-creator-wanted-something-to-play-at-the-weekend

He also just seems like the sweetest dude.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The new update includes the 'arcana' mechanics which let you draw cards at game start and from treasure chests, which are unlocked by hitting 99 with various characters. The cards have a variety of effects, unlocking critical hits for things like the axe, whip etc, making fire projectiles explode, causing healings to do area damage and so forth.

The big ones for me are the Poppea and new character ones. They each give you a power ramps projectile speed/duration up to 200% and down to 50% over the course of ten seconds. When taken together with bracers, cooldown and duration buffs with poppea what you end up with is uh...

Hahaha.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!

I love this dumb game.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER

Nemo2342 posted:

I will never upgrade this weapon.

I'll take it every time it's offered on a run, I don't even CARE

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How do the cats work, seem like most of the time they just run around and then sometimes they become a cloud of death and I'm not sure why or how

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How do the cats work, seem like most of the time they just run around and then sometimes they become a cloud of death and I'm not sure why or how

This sounds like cats to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If two cats run into each other they fight

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

They'll also scratch you for no reason, just like normal cats

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

lmao

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like it when cats hurt you

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Vampire Survivors: How do the cats work

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I like that in that interview the developer says his main inspiration for this game was pac man and I'll allow that

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I killed the giant crab and got the arcana started, with the help of cats! At lvl9 you can usually rely on one or two fights to break out and you can stand in them safely (even when lvl10 garlic + holy book won't hold).

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Short video of my last run

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r5gr99dzRQ1r6eon6.mp4

e: I am the liquor

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Arcana that deals AOE damage whenever you heal makes raw facetanking a lot easier.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Crank up your area % powerups to cover the screen in cat fights. It rules

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I've bought all the powerups and unlocked all the achievements, I don't NEED to do more runs... But I still absolutely want to. In particular, I've had the idea of some sort of 'melee' build kicking around in my head for a while now, and I think the healing Arcana is just the thing to make it work.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Gatti doing all my heavy lifting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So dumb question. Do Arcana only work if you have the item in the description? That is what I thought but someone told me it's only that way for the fire one.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ImpAtom posted:

So dumb question. Do Arcana only work if you have the item in the description? That is what I thought but someone told me it's only that way for the fire one.

Some are universal like the healing one or the projectile speed/duration ones or the revive one.

The 'causes explosions' or 'enables crits' effect the weapons they list.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The healing one really makes whip and garlic shine.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Having a good time

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sockser posted:

They'll also scratch you for no reason, just like normal cats

You can use this to your advantage, too. No Future makes your character explode with retaliation damage and presumably the new fire arcana would work as well. Definitely getting closer to being able to make a weird tank build that lets you roll through enemies with your face.

Also not only do cats scale with every single relevant stat passive (including luck!), they also gain damage by stealing your floor chickens! As well as grab any other shinies left lying around on the floor, as you'd expect for cats.

And as a weapon they seem to be weighted to appear much more frequently like a regular weapon compared to Bone, Bombs, or Cart.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

John Murdoch posted:

And as a weapon they seem to be weighted to appear much more frequently like a regular weapon compared to Bone, Bombs, or Cart.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that too. I think it's because the cats are actually locked behind an achievement- presumably, if you don't have the achievement, they won't appear at all, versus bone etc. which get added to the pool either when you unlock Mortaccio and co. or just when you play a run with them.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I saw a cat steal a clock and get frozen in time

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol owned, cat

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

"huh", I thought "that was weird"

then I loaded up vampire survivors to play the new update

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mazerunner posted:

"huh", I thought "that was weird"

then I loaded up vampire survivors to play the new update

Whoa

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

serefin99 posted:

Yeah, I definitely noticed that too. I think it's because the cats are actually locked behind an achievement- presumably, if you don't have the achievement, they won't appear at all, versus bone etc. which get added to the pool either when you unlock Mortaccio and co. or just when you play a run with them.

It's absolutely a pool weighting thing. All the weapons from Mortaccio and the rest of his crew are weighted as "1" in the pool, so while they can appear it's extremely unlikely. For comparison, whip is weighted at "100", and even the rarer of the newer weapons are still like 40 or 50.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Something which might be useful in laurel/especially MissingNo-spamming Death: the milk plant's trap tiles and all coffins will spawn exp-dropping enemies even after 30.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Evolution idea:

cats + stone mask = those japanese money cats, scales in some way with gold collected

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

really fond of the speed/duration arcana; so far super dommario just turns into a mob thresher surrounded by many, many bibles
don't know if it's enough to be better than vespers yet, but it's sure a step closer than before

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Evolution idea:

cats + stone mask = those japanese money cats, scales in some way with gold collected

I will be genuinely shocked if Stone Mask isn't the cat upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cat upgrade should be maxed out rainbow birb, get some third tier evolutions all up in here