Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah this stuff was my favourite part of the webcomic and here its just a thud

Yea it's weirdly gotten to the point for me where even tho it's at the climax that I have been waiting for I've stopped obsessively checking checking for updates. When it was on the buildup phase I was constantly reading the raws on release, excited for it to get to this part; now that it's here it's not as good as it could be, since so many great character moments have been excised in favor of admittedly amazingly drawn epic sequences. The aircraft carrier surfing was badass but I would easily trade it for the sequence where Garou lies about which direction the kid he is going to kill is and Saitama is just like "you mean that kid over there? I think you're confused". There's even certain sequences like Saitama slapping a gassed Garou I find it hard to believe they will still do (Serious Table Flip at least should be incredible and will probably take up like 5 two page spreads)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Really the part I miss is where Garou just completely rips on the whole s-class while showing how much he outclasses them. Just really shows both his strength and his hatred of heroes when he's just going to each of them one by one insulting and hitting them while they're no longer able to even really touch him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I havent read the original but Garou's hatred of heroes is not sold in murata's version. He just seems like a hero in denial.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The despair he brings is really solid during that. Even if you know he's gonna be a good guy, there's pages where the only solution seems to be for Saitama to destroy him like Boros. It's that contrast that makes the 'fight' with Saitama work.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

MorningMoon posted:

The despair he brings is really solid during that. Even if you know he's gonna be a good guy, there's pages where the only solution seems to be for Saitama to destroy him like Boros. It's that contrast that makes the 'fight' with Saitama work.

That’s a good point, and the buildup for the comic im general is always “when is Saitama gonna resolve the conflict” but here he’s just not taking action because he knows there isnt actually a threat. Then the situation is defused through the psychological crumbling which makes Garou more believable later when he’s just a dude working a job.

Reminds me of Reigen 10000% which was adapted extremely well in the anime

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is truly the Doom Eternal of One Punch Man. It's so nice to look at but all the dialogue is a solid 'Who asked?'

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No Wave posted:

I havent read the original but Garou's hatred of heroes is not sold in murata's version. He just seems like a hero in denial.

You should read the original.

https://mangaclash.com/manga/onepunch-man-one/chapter-81/ is when garou shows up

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
How we feeling bitter thread? The redraw is recovering some of the message in a way that lines up better with the redraw’s changes in general, but at the expense of Saitama being out-of-character IMO. Him seemingly understanding what’s going on (He references the kid who I don’t think he should be aware of?) and trolling Garou is just not my bumbling bored depressed superhero, but I think Garou now has some room to get angry and turn the corner on realizing how helpless and normal he is comparatively.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The kid spoke to him right before this fight started

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
Its different but I'm enjoying it now that I see what they wanted to go for with this version.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, now that we're at the climax it was going for, I like it well enough, but it's definitely not what I wanted, and I still think an annoyed Saitama works best here. But at least it's going full on with this fun fight, so i'm not comparing it as directly to the webcomic.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its character growth for saitama to be vaguely satisfied with a fight

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
only complaint is that garou transforming isnt as epically paneled as it was in the webcomic but the manga will probably just give him more transformations that are even more epically paneled

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I really don't know what Garou's deal is supposed to be. In the webcomic he had a legitimate grievance, but in the manga it feels like he's stubborn because of course he is — he has to be for the plot to work.

Like, Garou has always been a cliche, but the webcomic sorta set out to explore what kind of environment would produce someone like that, while the manga is just playing the cliche straight.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 28, 2022

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
i hope we get Garou thrashing some S-Class that need an rear end-kicking still, even if it gets shifted back to like, manga Neo Hero arc or something

scary ghost dog posted:

only complaint is that garou transforming isnt as epically paneled as it was in the webcomic but the manga will probably just give him more transformations that are even more epically paneled

also this. golden sperm got upgraded to platinum sperm. we dont know what's coming even if it's rhyming with the WC

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Schwarzwald posted:

I really don't know what Garou's deal is supposed to be. In the webcomic he had a legitimate grievance, but in the manga it feels like he's stubborn because of course he is — he has to be for the plot to work.

Like, Garou has always been a cliche, but the webcomic sorta set out to explore what kind of environment would produce someone like that, while the manga is just playing the cliche straight.

Im fine with saitama not being as serious as he was in the WC since this Garou isnt nearly as determined as the other. Hes very obviously unsure of what he wants and just comes across a little confused, especially when hes been effectively vouched for by Metal Bat and the kid. So he gets the saitama kid gloves.

Also in the WC Garous already beaten the S classes bloody. Here hes not so much laid a finger on them. Its a completely different kind of setup which is why I didnt like the previous chapter. (And im wondering why should it exist and not just be skipped over for this one)

Hes also monsterizing pretty fast so im thinking God has something to do with this.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

One of the best parts of the WC fight for me was how a lot if it is framed from Garou's POV and we see Saitama as something kind of terrifying and hopeless to fight against. I just hope we get to that point in the next couple chapters.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I do wonder if Garou is going to do a "No I really am evil, see!!!!"

*beats up S class heros*

"Would a good person do that??"

And that's when we see Saitama from Garou's POV and the serious table flip.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
It feels like this portion of the fight has gone about as far as it can (Saitama completely clowning on Garou, as Garou evolves through various monster forms). Since we're likely only getting started, I think something is coming that will raise the stakes (maybe with Psykos and Tareo; maybe with God).

I'm hopeful we'll still get Garou trashing the S class, and Saitama getting serious out of concern that Garou could actually kill someone.

Fellis posted:

Him seemingly understanding what’s going on

One thing I found interesting in this chapter was how Saitama understood King's "hero instincts" (a.k.a. insane luck) even though he is aware that King isn't actually physically strong.

Bucswabe fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 28, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's different and worse but not different and bad, it's still good on its own way and after endless chapters of painfully boring over-the-top over-extended shounen fights I'll take Saitama talking to Garou which was the point of this whole arc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elentor posted:

It's different and worse but not different and bad, it's still good on its own way and after endless chapters of painfully boring over-the-top over-extended shounen fights I'll take Saitama talking to Garou which was the point of this whole arc.

:hmmyes:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Saitama just rubbing it in that Garou is unintentionally and intentionally just being a good person helping people put a smile on my face. Don't like this diversion from the webcomic events but that was a good moment.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

The kid spoke to him right before this fight started

You are right, its been a long three weeks irl for me. I forgot saitama’s part of that scene entirely lol

Elentor posted:

Yeah pretty much this. Saitama being a lovely troll is good and fun, but this scene had real meat in the WC and I don’t see it getting there. If it does that’s great but it seems like it’d be a weird turn unless God was involved somehow

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I liked the new chapter and I'm enjoying it but I do think the tone and story in this one isn't as good as the WC Garou fight.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i don't really understand how he plans to do the whole "saitama + garou vs the world" thing at the end and i suspect that it's going to be totally diffent in tone and message

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i think it will still turn out fine. i think the kino that one brings will be gone, but i think it'll be pretty to look at and entertaining nonetheless

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fellis posted:

How we feeling bitter thread?

I'm bitter, and belong here.

If the arc has to have a different ending, I guess this one works for the rewrite's different feel. Unlike the original, the hero association is an unambiguous good that saves the day, full of hard working heroes who have no serious problems and tirelessly work to save the lives of innocents, from top to bottom. The most dangerous monster in the setting is also a nice person who everyone trusts. The mysterious blast is just a huge sweetie, off protecting earth from enemies. There's.... nothing wrong, really. Earth is fine. Saitama isn't a critique of the hero association, he's just another do-gooder in a setting full of them.

Saitama's not much of a protagonist in this version, and there's no real need for him. If there's a monster, a hero will stop it and save the day. That hero might be Garou.

It feels much more mainstream than the original, full of hotties you can put on a keychain.
Agreed.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Mystic Mongol posted:

The most dangerous monster in the setting is also a nice person who everyone trusts. The mysterious blast is just a huge sweetie, off protecting earth from enemies. There's.... nothing wrong, really. Earth is fine. Saitama isn't a critique of the hero association, he's just another do-gooder in a setting full of them.

Saitama's not much of a protagonist in this version, and there's no real need for him. If there's a monster, a hero will stop it and save the day. That hero might be Garou.

I feel like we have not read the same manga if this is your honest opinion of Muratas heroes and saitama

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Mystic Mongol posted:

Saitama isn't a critique of the hero association, he's just another do-gooder in a setting full of them.

? Saitama has never been a critique of the hero association.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Everyone's nicer in the manga.

I miss how cutting and mean Saitama was in the Garou fight. He's almost playful now.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's more that the hero association is flawed in ways that serve to highlight how Saitama is a real hero and in so doing make a commentary about heroism.

The HA is bureaucratic, political, image obsessed, and self aggrandizing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In the murata version the heroes are inhumanly brave, I dont feel much in the way of criticism. The bureaucracy is pathetic and borderline useless sure.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I miss how cutting and mean Saitama was in the Garou fight.
Really? how? I don't remember him to be particularly mean in the fight.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

Unlike the original, the hero association is an unambiguous good that saves the day, full of hard working heroes who have no serious problems and tirelessly work to save the lives of innocents, from top to bottom.

No Wave posted:

In the murata version the heroes are inhumanly brave, I dont feel much in the way of criticism. The bureaucracy is pathetic and borderline useless sure.

As someone who, overall, prefers the manga (though I do still love the webcomic) I do largely agree with these statements with what we've been shown so far. There is a slow drip of the story revealing various disfunctions/corruption (for example, that many S class are driven more by ego than heroism, that the HA is covering up some vile poo poo, and that the C-A class heroes are more or less treated as disposable fodder), but that largely hasn't been the focus. As readers of the manga, I agree that we are told that we should be solidly rooting for the Hero Association at this point.

That being said, I also think there is likely going to be a continuing evolution in the story. We've already seen this to a certain extent. Up until the fight against the cadres, the S class were shown to be essentially invincible, and that facade has now been torn down. I expect in the next arc (and likely introduced at the end of the Garou/Saitama fight) we are going to see a lot more that exposes the dark side of the association and the heroes themselves.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Really? how? I don't remember him to be particularly mean in the fight.

I remember his vibes with Garou from the webcomic being less "You're not a monster, you're secretly a good guy" and being more "You're not a monster, you're just a loser faking it" and his remarks seemed to hit deeper instead of just being little jabs.

Like, he's not exactly mean or anything but I remember him being way less friendly.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Yeah he comes off a lot more demeaning in the WC. Here it feels more like he's teaching a lesson and enjoying a brisk jog. In the WC he clowns on him the entire time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah, but in WC Garous much deeper in the hole. He absolutely wouldnt listen without a severe beating. Contrast the manga wheres hes going into the saitama fight already flustered and unsure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I miss original Jack Garland Saitama

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I remember his vibes with Garou from the webcomic being less "You're not a monster, you're secretly a good guy" and being more "You're not a monster, you're just a loser faking it" and his remarks seemed to hit deeper instead of just being little jabs.
Nah, in the whole WC fight he is all "you are going easy on me. You really are just a human that wants to be a monster. And also a fairly sweet guy ."
I just rearead the chapters and I really don't see any demeaning behaviour. If anything, WC Saitama is more unflappable and less trolling (so LESS demeaning than manga Saitama).
His remarks don't really hit Garou until the whole "what being a superhero means to you" "it's a hobby" sequence, but that is way after the fight.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Nah, in the whole WC fight he is all "you are going easy on me. You really are just a human that wants to be a monster. And also a fairly sweet guy ."
I just rearead the chapters and I really don't see any demeaning behaviour. If anything, WC Saitama is more unflappable and less trolling (so LESS demeaning than manga Saitama).
His remarks don't really hit Garou until the whole "what being a superhero means to you" "it's a hobby" sequence, but that is way after the fight.

If the Murata version doesnt get a super low quality saitama picking his nose for a page, and then just admitting hero’ing is a hobby, then the WC will always be superior