Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just learned that the United States space force is not subject to the posse comitatus act. Unlike with the coast guard, this makes no sense…unless to assist in defending against cyberattacks, but it’s still weird.

I mean the President would be allowed to deploy space marines for domestic law enforcement reasons in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I just learned that the United States space force is not subject to the posse comitatus act. Unlike with the coast guard, this makes no sense…unless to assist in defending against cyberattacks, but it’s still weird.

I mean the President would be allowed to deploy space marines for domestic law enforcement reasons in the US.

I don't think it's surprising that they didn't include the Space Force when writing a law in 1878.

The Navy and Marines aren't subject to it either

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh man they’re going to kick our rear end at Warhammers!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

Oh man they’re going to kick our rear end at Warhammers!

gently caress!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't think it's surprising that they didn't include the Space Force when writing a law in 1878.

Right, but they’re covered by DoD regs that basically extended the act to them. And thank god for that imagine if the President could freely deploy Marines for LEO work (or the navy for carrier based support lol).

This all took me down a rabbit hole to the weird State Defense Forces (the militia) and how they are solely under the control of the Governor/state. I’m kind of shocked that some southern governors aren’t trying to create ones stacked with MAGA lunatics (granted they always have the police though) as their own private military force.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marshal Prolapse posted:

gently caress!

Right, but they’re covered by DoD regs that basically extended the act to them. And thank god for that imagine if the President could freely deploy Marines for LEO work (or the navy for carrier based support lol).

This all took me down a rabbit hole to the weird State Defense Forces (the militia) and how they are solely under the control of the Governor/state. I’m kind of shocked that some southern governors aren’t trying to create ones stacked with MAGA lunatics (granted they always have the police though) as their own private military force.

They aren't trying to make them because they already have them, I expect.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

They aren't trying to make them because they already have them, I expect.

Yeah and this is terrifying to see. The Jade Helm vets. lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Posse Comitatus is a huge deal in terms of preserving Democracy in the US.

Fortunately from what I've seen, the act's fundamental tenants are pretty well adhered to by the JCOS, even in the wake of Trump trying to violate the act back in 2020.

I'll take that as a silver lining to the general clouds of right wing militias and National Guard regiments controlled by right wing governers.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
There's a lot of rule bending with Posse Commitatus. Delta had guys at Waco advising the FBI. I also read that DevGru had a team of guys in the Capitol on 1/6, but I can't find anything to confirm it. From what I read, they were to be sent in if any member of Congress or the VP got taken hostage, and they were given orders to shoot to kill and do whatever they needed to if they had to do a HR.

Edit: This article just states that SMUs were "seconded" to FBI HRT on 1/6. Delta and DevGru often work with FBI HRT, so I guess it's no surprise.

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-secret-commandos-shoot-kill-authority-were-capitol-1661330

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 13, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

I also read that DevGru had a team of guys in the Capitol on 1/6

I could totally believe members of devgru were inside the Capitol building that day. Maybe not in an official capacity.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Midjack posted:

I could totally believe members of devgru were inside the Capitol building that day. Maybe not in an official capacity.

On the other hand, be a great opportunity for smash and grabs.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jgalttweets/status/1514053870607085568?s=21&t=Ytmfty_uOD40QYmefGmeyQ

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Marshal Prolapse posted:

gently caress!

Florida kinda tried a few months back but it’s been a total shitshow.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I missed this last month but the liberal drill team beats another rap

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/03/21/denver-protest-shooting-charges-dropped-matthew-dolloff/amp/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I’m surprised but glad. At least Trump can’t send the Marshals to assassinate him now. Hope the civil suit against him fails as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Midjack posted:

Participating one way or another

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m surprised but glad. At least Trump can’t send the Marshals to assassinate him now. Hope the civil suit against him fails as well.

I mean he’s literally a white guy Pinkerton contractor who smoked a clearly aggressive random non-cop rear end in a top hat who was attacking “respectable” journalist, it was going to happen eventually even though the shooter was a Berniebro killing a Brandonhead.

Still nice though I hope he goes on chapo after the civil suit because the Prius driller who has the option to remain anonymous wisely never took them up and choose not to reveal their identity lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Also pour one out for Gilbert Gottfried, the first celebrity with the balls to make a 9/11 joke while the rest of the country was firmly up our own assholes with blood rage.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Also pour one out for Gilbert Gottfried, the first celebrity with the balls to make a 9/11 joke while the rest of the country was firmly up our own assholes with blood rage.

Can't post without a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e1ty-MumFw

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The cheese thread is a thread for suckers, you'll never get advice on cheese. Abandon all hope there.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

the Prius driller
The what?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...z7di-story.html

An Important Florida man road rages at a Prius and gets shot and killed by the Prius driver.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Oh for sure and it was a good joke! Amazing how little he cared about stuff like that, he lost the Aflec gig after joking about the Japanese tsunami.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Really really bad trend of someone committing an act of violence and immediately their views and rantings are amplified to a global audience. Klebold/Harris still household names a decade later, Ted Bundy gets a sexy Netflix show, that Virginia tech guy made McBeef or whatever a meme, and Unabomber’s manifesto achieved the goal of being easily available. Even the Dallas police shooter had a podcast.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Really really bad trend of someone committing an act of violence and immediately their views and rantings are amplified to a global audience. Klebold/Harris still household names a decade later, Ted Bundy gets a sexy Netflix show, that Virginia tech guy made McBeef or whatever a meme, and Unabomber’s manifesto achieved the goal of being easily available. Even the Dallas police shooter had a podcast.

In fairness the Dallas guy is mostly remembered for getting skyneted.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Klebold/Harris was 23 years ago. They'll be historical names just because of the spectacle it became. They weren't big livejournalers and facebook didn't exist for another 6 years, myspace wasn't even around yet. Columbine happened before the internet really gripped the american psyche.

There are plenty of lunatics that don't expose themselves with public mediums. The guys you listed were outliers (Klebold/Harris withstanding, but the media reacted with crazy), which is what makes them so fascinating.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I can't believe Uncle Ruckus was real

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/Casey_Mink/status/1514309109239238663?s=20&t=QJpKWE9I23QjbsX2P4foKg

theyre gonna double NYPD's budget

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Hey let's spend the next week talking about this guy's Black nationalist beliefs and that time he pushed a dog around on its front legs like a wheelbarrow when he was in the third grade instead of why the NYPD, with its enormous budget, couldn't stop this guy despite supposedly having an officer in every station, and the one cop who did respond had a broken radio and told bystanders to call 911 instead. But hey, let's debate METAL DETECTORS in every station instead!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
oh yeah NYPD's Strategic Response Group was busy this morning destroying another homeless camp

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That guy rules and has tremendous New Yorker energy.

https://twitter.com/natalexisw/status/1514312733352767491?s=21&t=_s6BLukm78OkJb9YcldI1A

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 13, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

oh yeah NYPD's Strategic Response Group was busy this morning destroying another homeless camp

The cruelty is the point

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Look, the NYPD has been so defunded by the woke mob that they can't even afford working cameras and radios.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nick Soapdish posted:

The cruelty is the point

You see, it's the *homeless* that are devaluing NYC real estate, not a systemic social and ideological failure by the landed and moneyed gentry whom the authorities *truly* serve! :troll:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Lowtax DDoSing the site from beyond the grave

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

with my last post I curse Zoidberg

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Ukraine may have bagged a guided missile cruiser

https://twitter.com/MaxBoot/status/1514383535548907525?s=20&t=KDGCp5ZDDZwvqlxE2uX-gw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slava-class_cruiser

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kill me now posted:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...z7di-story.html

An Important Florida man road rages at a Prius and gets shot and killed by the Prius driver.

It’s important to note that Florida Man had raged at the SAME loving INTERSECTION and plead out years earlier.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not just any, it's the FLAGSHIP of the Black Sea Fleet. Someone in Ukraine also loved playing Harpoon as a kid.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
that's the same ship they told to go gently caress itself too lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kesper North posted:

that's the same ship they told to go gently caress itself too lmao

I guess you could say it hosed around and found out.