Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Asleep Style posted:

I only have the blue one, which is the most resistance. I don't think starting with blue is a good move, but I also don't have direct experience with the others. from googling a bit it looks like yellow is for grandmas or people with really bad tendonitis. I'd probably start with red if it's bad enough that you've stopped lifting entirely

i mean, i'm only stopping for a few days and only out of an abundance of caution not making it worse, since it wasn't getting any better working through it.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

maybe the green one then, especially if you're pretty strong in the first place

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Asleep Style posted:

maybe the green one then, especially if you're pretty strong in the first place

alright cool, thanks. punching my stats into a 1rm calculator i found it told me i'm solidly "novice" but i'm not at all untrained so i could probably grow into that one pretty quick.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i stopped using twitter so i post gains here

same thing with my squats as the deadlifts, had a 3 month gym sabbatical due to health and winter bullshit, am back at my baseline (4 plates, 225lb/102kg)

it's so satisfying to not feel like i've aged 30 years in the last 2, exercise is great

keep it up everyone here

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

keep it up everyone here

this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

love this guy and all the memes that spawned from it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

well looks like i gotta take the rest of the week off lifting. i've been consistently 3 on 1 off since new years but the random aches are piling up, progress is slowing, and now i'm just losing motivation. part of me feels like a weak loser for even considering it but i don't know, i'm just feeling some sort of "life burnout" and hoping it'll go away with a few days off. yell at me if i'm making a mistake

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i went to the gym this week for the first time since the pandemic started lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i did a lot of outdoor stuff so I didn't turn into a fat blob but my endurance is definitely worse

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i gained a solid 15 pounds over covid. on the plus side, on returning to the gym, i'm getting that sweet rapid improvement as if i'd never been to the gym before

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

buying my own dumbbell bar and plates set back in like august 2020 was one of the best things i've ever done. i didn't even realize how much of a rut i was stuck in at the tiny apartment gym. but it's also been a bit of a problem since it's so hard to justify not going hard even when i can feel i probably should take some time off

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i spent last week flown out to HQ for quarterly planning, drinking and eating a bunch of food and doing like one mountain hike. i came back this week to big prs so uhhh take a week off

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I gave up alcohol at the start of the pandemic otherwise I would have been 20-30 lbs heavier.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I gave up alcohol (again) after being drunk for a good 20 months of pandemic straight and did gain those 30 lbs. lifting and biking are really helping me a lot with the sobriety, so those numbers are going up, but working from home I am having trouble curbing the snacking so my weight hasn't gone down.

luckily I'll be in the office a few days a week from now on, which gives me a nice 15mi bike ride home and makes it less convenient to pound cheezits all day. I really like having exercise built into a routine like a bike commute, it makes it so easy to just do.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

feelin like shiiit, unsure why

going to eat and go to bed early hopefully my body will figure it out and let me hit the rack again soon

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

feelin like shiiit, unsure why

going to eat and go to bed early hopefully my body will figure it out and let me hit the rack again soon

sleep is a highly underrated component of fitness, when i was test driving retirement for half of 2020 i slept better than i have since high school and the improvement in physical and mental fitness was huge. and that was before i started eating well and getting a solid hour of exercise every day.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah a good night's sleep (which varies but is something between 6 and 9 hours for most people, or maybe like measuring REM cycles is better?) is undeniably a good thing

i am very bad at it, even with like not doing internet computer things at night. i read physical books and i am still up to roughly the same time every day

c workout s: due to nice weather, my gym was extremely crowded yesterday. i finally got to use a racked bench for the first time in months though (been doing barbell presses instead) and that felt great even though i am super weak at arm stuff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
adequate sleep is way underrated

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i went to the gym 3 times this week. thats my best week in approx 4 years

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
what are some of y'alls favorite healthy recipes? I've got a deece lifting/cardio schedule down but I gotta get my diet under control.

I tried hgruel as a high protein 400kcal lunch replacement but I can't do it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Make your own smoothies. Put 1/2 c dry rolled oats in your blender and chop em up finely, add yogurt, frozen fruit, protein powder, instant breakfast, peanut butter, etc. maybe some milk or ice cubes depending on what fruit you pick to thin it out

i make one all the time with a packet of carnation breakfast, some milk, and a carnation instant breakfast packet. Sometimes I add strawberry or mango or whatever, go nuts bro

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
I gotta try the oats, that sounds tasty and like it'll keep you full for a long time. Thanks for the tip! For breakfast every day I throw some Greek yogurt, a banana, a couple mandarins, some berries, and 2oz spinach in with half a cup of water and it's an easy thing to have on the go

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If the texture is gross you can cook it into oatmeal and blend that in to smooth it out but it doesn't bother me at all to just do it dry. i often forget to chop them up dry first too and it still is fine to drink but just a little chunkier if you add it after you've already added liquids

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

saw my lowest weight in years on the scale yesterday

because I've been sick for like a week. I feel my muscles falling off and I'm sure my cardio will be even worse coming back but at least I should be better enough to exercise some tomorrow.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i tried overcooking my smoothie oatmeal and it just disappears entirely now and thickens the smoothie. pretty good. Also I went to the gym 6 times last week (!) which feels like some kind of god dammed personal record

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

whoaaaa nice

i been throwing uncooked rolled oats into my smoothies and its definitely got a subtle difference, ive noticed an improvement to gastroenterological processing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've been really into the smoothie lately. I've never been a breakfast person and I take meds that make me even less interested in breakfast so being able to drink an actual meal is wonderful.
Just throw some arbitrary frozen fruit, few scoops of yogurt, some oatmeal in the blender and thin with milk. Fast, satisfying, and easy to consume. Any other good additions? I'm wary of greens because I feel like they would make it taste much worse but I think I have some chia seeds sitting around 🤔

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i add a little bit of hemp protein for fiber, but i think that's because i have an allergy to egg yokes that i need that and the protein powder I use is from eggs. really, i got no idea

my fave smoothie is the pb+j:
oat milk
frozen raspberry
frozen strawberry
pretty thick scoop of peanut butter
scoop of vanilla protein
rolled oats
some water to thin

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
you can add a lot of spinach to a smoothie and it will barely, if at all, affect the flavor profile. it really surprised me because I don't consider spinach to be that neutral of a taste but I add 1.5-2oz of spinach and it just disappears into whatever frozen fruit/berries I have in there.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

zombienietzsche posted:

what are some of y'alls favorite healthy recipes? I've got a deece lifting/cardio schedule down but I gotta get my diet under control.

I tried hgruel as a high protein 400kcal lunch replacement but I can't do it.

I make chickpea tikka massala and ratatouille pretty often, as well as vegetarian mapo tofu (replace pork with shiitake or baby bella mushrooms), but basically cooking for yourself is generally gonna be better than eating out all the time even when cooking with meat

portion size is kinda key, try not to go more than 1/2lb (precooked) on any meat and get your extra protein from either powders, beans, or nuts and no crazy snacks, and don't forget leafy greens, however you like em

but usually i eat just plain yogurt or pb&j (low sugar j, no salt/sugar pb, grainy bread)

and even then, only do stuff incrementally, severe changes (crash diets, trend poo poo) in diet are likely to fail, so stick to small incremental changes, drinking less soda/beer, eating out less often, etc etc

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 17, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve increased the amount of (sugar free) soda I drink of late

only another 7 months until watuary and I can finally drink some water

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i make caesar-ish salads with lots of spinach and chicken most lunches nowadays, love that stuff and it throws together really easily plus i can add in whatever i have to use up like tomatoes, onion, a few olives, or some leftover kale if i used it for a recipe and want to finish the rest

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

zombienietzsche posted:

you can add a lot of spinach to a smoothie and it will barely, if at all, affect the flavor profile. it really surprised me because I don't consider spinach to be that neutral of a taste but I add 1.5-2oz of spinach and it just disappears into whatever frozen fruit/berries I have in there.

spinach is a miracle ingredient that can be added to almost anything to get your green leafy count up. chuck it in rice, a curry, pasta sauce, anything that you mix up and boom it works

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've started lifting again. This time I'm adding curls and triceps pulldowns into my routine. In the past it was like "lol I don't want to be a curl bro" but older me wants arms.

I'm also 5'10" and 200 lbs. at some point I'd like to get to 180 or so. Maybe after a few months of lifting to get my strength back up.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

every muscle group needs attention comrade

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

currently got the dumbbells outside and doing arm poo poo and dips using the patio furniture before my architecture meeting

took a call too, so now i don't feel bad about not working late to make up the gym time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got some more weight plates for my dumbbell set and now I actually have enough weight to do a few real lifts in my apartment. I also got a connector to turn them into a lovely barbell but it was the wrong size :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lifting at home rules though, I can play lovely music through speakers and blast myself with a box box fan with my shirt off since I'm a sweaty piggy boy

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

its true and it saves time

i do kind of miss riding my bike to the gym and getting a little bit of social anxiety and overcoming it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PokeJoe posted:

I got some more weight plates for my dumbbell set and now I actually have enough weight to do a few real lifts in my apartment. I also got a connector to turn them into a lovely barbell but it was the wrong size :(

from experience, those connectors suck rear end and at least mine would get stuck hard enough to need tools to get it unstuck

give it a shot but if yours is like mine, once it starts giving you trouble just order a 1-inch barbell and some clips online, i was kicking myself for wasting so much time once i did that because it's so much nicer