Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If it was just a no hitter who gives a gently caress. Theres been hundreds and hundreds of them. But a perfect game through 7? At 80 pitches. With THIRTEEN STRIKEOUTS?!

That’s goddamn criminal.

They had a shortened spring training due to the lockout, so his pitch count isn't built up. How many pitches do you really want him throwing in his first start of the season after he couldn't even pitch in the playoffs because of an elbow injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yeah I also get it, the dodgers are pussy cowards

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

They really Dodged that perfect game!!! :grin:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
El Gary breaking it up with a liner out to RF is also loving :kiss: I cannot get over how perfect that is.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I know the Cubs are broke or whatever but going into the season with Patrick Wisdom as your every day 3B was a really bad decision.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just as bonkers as all the other bits is that, deep into a perfect game Kershaw threw multiple chanegups, and even got a whiff on one of them

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1514311300611858443

He's been trying to throw this pitch for like a decade.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That was a foul tip, not a whiff. :colbert:

(Kershaw rules.)

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Popete posted:

Felt like the Rays pulling Snell who was cruising in the Worlds Series because the number says so and immediately giving up the lead.

Snell was different because that was a strategic call. The Rays pulled him because they thought he couldn't handle third time through the lineup. The Dodgers pulled Kershaw for health reasons.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Snell was also Game 6 of the World Series.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

another quote from the man himself, I thought his slider looked good late there but if he disagrees then who am I to argue

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1514345211920625680

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe Kershaw's competitive spirit wouldn't allow it or whatever but it was a 6-0 game why not just have him throw fastballs at 80% or something and try to BABIP some outs and then pull him after the first baserunner

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Nodoze posted:

They had a shortened spring training due to the lockout, so his pitch count isn't built up. How many pitches do you really want him throwing in his first start of the season after he couldn't even pitch in the playoffs because of an elbow injury

Yea, it'd be really lovely to see Kershaw's elbow explode over a perfect game. It's not like he really needs one to cement his legacy and if he does, he practically threw one already in 2014

Perfect through 7 is awesome as hell though, kinda like Bumgarner's no hitter except better

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

bawfuls posted:

90 gamescore, one of the best starts of his career and his highest gamescore since May 12th, 2016

That's got to be the best game score of a 7.0 IP start of all time, right?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

tinstaach posted:

That's got to be the best game score of a 7.0 IP start of all time, right?

Yes.

https://twitter.com/joe_sheehan/status/1514357126096990219

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

V: Ghost runners are still dumb (not because we lost, but because they're dumb)

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

Yea, it'd be really lovely to see Kershaw's elbow explode over a perfect game. It's not like he really needs one to cement his legacy and if he does, he practically threw one already in 2014

Perfect through 7 is awesome as hell though, kinda like Bumgarner's no hitter except better

I mean what the gently caress is the point of competing at all if you’re this risk averse?

The idea that accomplishments like perfect games don’t mean anything is as soulless as the commissioner calling the World Series trophy a hunk of metal. I’m not here to watch Andrew Friedman win at game theory.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dodgers passing up a chance to put up another perfect game pennant.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Someone wins the World Series every year. There have been 23 perfect games, and it is never a guarantee. loving let him finish it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pungry posted:

Someone wins the World Series every year. There have been 23 perfect games, and it is never a guarantee. loving let him finish it.

Almost every year!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Johnny Bravo posted:

put it on his plaque, "practically threw two no hitters", epic as hell

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I mean what the gently caress is the point of competing at all if you’re this risk averse?

The idea that accomplishments like perfect games don’t mean anything is as soulless as the commissioner calling the World Series trophy a hunk of metal. I’m not here to watch Andrew Friedman win at game theory.
Kershaw called a perfect game ultimately a selfish pursuit in his post-game presser. His priority is another World Series. After all he's been through in his career, if he says a championship is the pinnacle achievement for him, then who are we to argue?

As others pointed out on twitter, the way this game went and how Kershaw handled it is really part and parcel to his career arc. There was a (long) time where his competitive drive led him to push himself past the breaking point again and again. We saw this in the form of notorious 7th inning October breakdowns and the injuries which have kept him from making 30+ starts in a season since 2015. His internal struggle to recognize his limits and more importantly accept them is the story of his second half, and ultimately how he finally achieved his ultimate goal of a championship.

It is not as simple as being "this risk averse." Kershaw's journey to this point, to being able to say "my stuff is slipping, I want to go 80-85 pitches here even though I'm perfect" is the capstone of his career. It's the Apotheosis of The Hero's Journey.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 14, 2022

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bawfuls posted:

Kershaw called a perfect game ultimately a selfish pursuit in his post-game presser. His priority is another World Series. After all he's been through in his career, if he says a championship is the pinnacle achievement for him, then who are we to argue?

As others pointed out on twitter, the way this game went and how Kershaw handled it is really part and parcel to his career arc. There was a (long) time where his competitive drive led him to push himself past the breaking point again and again. We saw this in the form of notorious 7th inning October breakdowns and the injuries which have kept him from making 30+ starts in a season since 2015. His internal struggle to recognize his limits and more importantly accept them is the story of his second half, and ultimately how he finally achieved his ultimate goal of a championship.

It is not as simple as being "this risk averse." Kershaw's journey to this point, to being able to say "my stuff is slipping, I want to go 80-85 pitches here even though I'm perfect" is the capstone of his career. It's the Apotheosis of The Hero's Journey.

See also: Stieb, Dave.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This guy owns

https://twitter.com/mlbhrvideos/status/1514419069910499329?s=21&t=idddbVipMGWmU1JurPgokA

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Ambassador of Funk posted:

If this week isn’t a mirage the Giants rotation has a chance to be something really special.

Webb pitched a gem against the Padres today :cool:

And Alex Cobb struck out 10 in his first start... I didn't love that signing, but if that's our 5th starter then this could be a fun year.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man y'all pretty upset about a legendary pitcher making a decision about pitching

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hendricks might be done and i am insanely bummed out

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

man y'all pretty upset about a legendary pitcher making a decision about pitching

Dave Roberts is a legendary pitcher?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1514429144586719235?s=21&t=muD3n7CiPDUhPd1TapFxyQ

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

News: Cool Kyle

Views: :cry:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Upon further reflection, his Apotheosis was the 2019 NLDS gm5 relief appearance. Here, I made a visual aid:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

you know how you read something ridiculous and you just laugh? that was my reaction to that number

im glad kersh was cool with it. then i wish he was still a little selfish because a shot at history is worth way more than a ballgame in april

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Dodgers passing up a chance to put up another perfect game pennant.

I, for one, appreciate the Dodgers not being antisemitic and letting Koufax stand alone.

The loving pitches he cranked out off of Cole and Loaisiga weren't even terrible pitches! This was a 99mph fastball!

https://twitter.com/MearnsPSA/status/1514393544764571648?s=20&t=mKTQqxZpk10bJlSP1xUGcw

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The other day I wondered how many career home runs Vladito needs for he and his father to surpass Bobby & Barry Bonds

He’s only 579 away now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't really watch baseball but I heard someone got pulled after 7 perfect innings and that's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard in my life what in the gently caress

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

If it wasn't for his injury history, the fact he couldn't ramp up, and how fine he was with it I'd be mad. Only 23 perfect games ever*

and one imperfect one. Still actually sad thinking about that

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm annoyed because there's a real chance that if he started just soft tossing he could have snuck through two perfect innings, hell I'm sure Jered Weaver managed two back to back perfect innings at some point after his velocity fell to like 80

But whatever if Kershaw is fine with it and not just being the Good Soldier in the media then not my problem I guess

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I guess we'll just have to disagree then. He's coming off a season ending elbow injury that also cost him 2 months earlier in 2021, PRP injections, a short spring training and it's the first week of the season. I think there's a reasonable level of risk there if his goal is to stay healthy for the next 6 months. This is all moot anyways since Kershaw himself thought it was the right move so who the gently caress cares, it's his body

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 14, 2022

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

lmao

https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1514434473894555654?t=YM0Vk65s562H27DRBBbb3w&s=19

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Why are people SO upset about Kershaw? Yeah it would've been cool but people are acting like it's The Day Baseball Died even though there's a perfectly reasonable explanation that Kershaw himself endorses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

owns