Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1513735188970364929?t=KyYHrg4rB1yPljsY_zq1ug&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Would be a bit awkward if you were hosting a massive MTK event in your stadium in london in the next few weeks.

Also very funny to see Michael Benson completely ignore this

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Big fights every weekend for the next 5 weeks:

April 16: Errol Spence vs Yordenis Ugas for the WBC, WBA, and IBF titles

April 23: Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte for the WBC title

April 30: Shakur Stevenson vs Oscar Valdez for the WBC and WBO titles

May 7: Canelo Alvarez vs Dmitry Bivol for the WBA title

May 14: Jermell Charlo vs Brian Castano for the undisputed junior middleweight championship

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat that's a hell of a lineup :munch:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We got tickets to Stevenson vs Valdez but that was with Spence-Ugas in consideration and decided on before Canelo-Bivol was official. Spoiled for choices this spring.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Big fights every weekend for the next 5 weeks:

April 16: Errol Spence vs Yordenis Ugas for the WBC, WBA, and IBF titles

April 23: Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte for the WBC title

April 30: Shakur Stevenson vs Oscar Valdez for the WBC and WBO titles

May 7: Canelo Alvarez vs Dmitry Bivol for the WBA title

May 14: Jermell Charlo vs Brian Castano for the undisputed junior middleweight championship

Thanks for the reminder. I might just go along to Wembley for Fury v Whyte

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Who's picking Ugas to win this weekend? I know that Mr. F! has $50 on him to win at +400 odds. I think Ugas probably does win more than 1 in 5 fights against Spence assuming fair judges, but that's a big and probably unreasonable assumption to make. And I don't see the fight ending early either. If Ugas takes 7 rounds to 5 in a close decision, it seems hard to imagine the judges give it to him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’m not because I still believe in Crawford-Spence

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Spence should win 8-9 rounds. He does everything better than Ugas.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Ninth Layer posted:

Who's picking Ugas to win this weekend? I know that Mr. F! has $50 on him to win at +400 odds. I think Ugas probably does win more than 1 in 5 fights against Spence assuming fair judges, but that's a big and probably unreasonable assumption to make. And I don't see the fight ending early either. If Ugas takes 7 rounds to 5 in a close decision, it seems hard to imagine the judges give it to him.

I really like Ugas. I think he has it in him.

I’m super pumped for all the fights in the coming weeks.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Crowley with a solid, if unspectacular, showing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:drat: that was over quick

Valenzuela in the first round for those not watching lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jesus, I think it's time for gamboa to call it quits imo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh gently caress Spence stumblin

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

what the gently caress is up with this ref

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

CommonShore posted:

what the gently caress is up with this ref

Lawrence Cole is probably the most notoriously bad ref out there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And now what is up with this commentary booth getting on the ref's rear end for actually enforcing the rules and checking on the safety of the fighters.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ugas is a cyclops here.

Finally stopped this.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ugas is done :rip:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lawrence Cole is so bad lmao

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Lawrence Cole is probably the most notoriously bad ref out there.

there sure were some pretty weird calls. He ignored low blows for 7 rounds until he started giving reminders on stuff that weren't even really as bad as earlier ones.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Ugas was very game but ultimately outclassed. He looked good early, but Spence put things into another gear and showed his pound for pound bonafides. I'm surprised that Spence fought that kind of rugged fight against a bigger, tough guy, but ultimately it didn't matter.

Bring on Spence vs Crawford. There's no other fight.

"Terence I'm coming for that motherfucking belt" - Errol Spence.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/terencecrawford/status/1515548826869719047?t=D_Xz9N5BhjG0zjMzT6L-YA&s=19

Man as much as I want to see a Golovkin fight before he retires, if I can only go to one fight to close out 2022 its not gonna be a difficult choice.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Spence-Crawford is the capstone this generation of welterweights (Crawford, Spence, Thurman, Porter, Garcia) needs before the torch is passed on to the next group (Jaron Ennis, Vergil Ortiz, Conor Benn, Eimantas Stanionis). Hopefully Crawford's Top Rank lawsuit or rumored involvement with Daniel Kinahan don't stand in the way.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Ugas was very game but ultimately outclassed. He looked good early, but Spence put things into another gear and showed his pound for pound bonafides. I'm surprised that Spence fought that kind of rugged fight against a bigger, tough guy, but ultimately it didn't matter.

I had it 7-2 Spence giving Ugas rounds 1, 6, and could have seen him taking round 3. Ultimately I was also very surprised by Spence just swarming Ugas all night, but it proved very effective. Something I remember thinking when scouting Ugas last year for Pacquiao was that Ugas is very stationary, I expected Pacquiao to take him darting in and out with punches at all angles. Well, Spence didn't bother with the darting but he did bring the angles. The few times Ugas threw his jab it looked like a great punch for Spence, so it's a wonder that he didn't throw very many, it would have really helped him keep Spence at bay.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxing/1597084/Teenage-boxer-Ali-Tazeem-dubbed-next-Amir-Khan-dies-in-car-accident-boxing-sport

drat I think I just read something about him a week or two ago too :(

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Ugas broke his orbital bone in the 7th round, which explains the eye and the worsening body language/performance.

I don’t remember broken orbital bones really being a thing at all until like 10 years ago, now they seem to occur semi-regularly.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I don’t remember broken orbital bones really being a thing at all until like 10 years ago, now they seem to occur semi-regularly.

Foreman finished Chavolo with one but Foreman's not exactly average.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Cutting edge advances in steroids. It does seem to be a new thing. We’re not even that far removed from Canelo cratering Saunders’ entire face, which no one even flinched at. But I’m pretty sure all things are equal except for training methods (and PEDs).

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If Spence is a real man he’ll take the fight to Omaha where the tickets will be nice and cheap

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1517136382497538049

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Honestly that dude has the most punch-able face I've ever seen.

The weird way the footage works it seems like that dude and his friend were literally angling to piss Tyson off enough to go viral.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Call me a coward but I would try not to piss off Mike Tyson, a man who is known for punching hard & for having a bit of a temper.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I don't think any jury is going to rule against Tyson on this one.

Speaking of Tyson, that Fury/Whyte press conference was polite and boring. If he's not crazy, Fury will fight from distance on Saturday.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
[fury has brawled with wilder. I think he could hang inside with white.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

yeah, that's what I was thinking. Fury already ate everything Wilder could throw at him so I don't see Whyte posing that same sort of threat if Fury wants to work inside a bit.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Well we'll see if Whyte can connect to the body with that nasty left hook of his.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Rags to Liches posted:

yeah, that's what I was thinking. Fury already ate everything Wilder could throw at him so I don't see Whyte posing that same sort of threat if Fury wants to work inside a bit.

I think they are different kinds of punches to eat.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There's a chance Fury got really lazy in the last few months and whether he's serious about it or not it's never good to hear a fighter talk about retirement before his next fight. But yeah I think there'd have to be something going very wrong on his end for him to lose the fight. Whyte needs a knockout to win, i think his odds of getting one are a lot lower than the last DW who tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Whyte doesn't have the single shot power of Wilder but he's a much better all-round fighter. He's a live underdog in this.