Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Eventually I think I'll get a single 32" display, and maybe replace the hue play things with a single light strip.

But for now its working pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I'm pretty happy with my new setup! I had been using two 24" asus monitors, but the bezel was really thick so I felt like I was always turned either left or right and I couldn't just sit in the middle. Even though I'm not a streamer I opted to do the "streamer" setup with one monitor in portrait. I'm really loving happy with it, but I'm open to suggestions (I'm considering getting an arm and letting me do a "stacked" setup and get rid of my desk lamp).

Also please ignore the towel, it's temporary until I get a curtain for that loving window

How large is the curved UW? The monitor on the left makes it look small

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Yeast posted:

Eventually I think I'll get a single 32" display, and maybe replace the hue play things with a single light strip.

Teach us how to not be poor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeast posted:

2x27" and they're not swiveled toward you? :thunk:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

shrike82 posted:

How large is the curved UW? The monitor on the left makes it look small

The UW is 34" AOC and the vertical is a 24" Asus.

Yeast posted:

Hooollly poo poo. Nice!!!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 15, 2022

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Brain Issues posted:

Apparently it involves penny pinching on junk speakers. Seriously I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a desktop setup and not having decent speakers, the ones built into the studio display are probably better.

I will post my own photos here when I do my big PC to Mac transition; just waiting on the drat mac to get delivered.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Brain Issues posted:

Become a photographer!

The Lord Bude posted:

Apparently it involves penny pinching on junk speakers.

It does!

The Lord Bude posted:

the ones built into the studio display are probably better.

Lol, the display speakers are not good. Podcasts and zoom calls maybe, but anything else, no. Those speakers were bought 2nd hand 11 years ago, and for a workspace they're totally cromulent.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yeast posted:

Become a photographer!

It does!

Lol, the display speakers are not good. Podcasts and zoom calls maybe, but anything else, no. Those speakers were bought 2nd hand 11 years ago, and for a workspace they're totally cromulent.

They're not something I would ever tolerate.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Fair enough, there's lots of better options out there!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
two 27” is broke boy poo poo

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

two 27” is broke boy poo poo

Those are apple’s 1600 USD apiece 5k Apple studio displays.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Lord Bude posted:

Those are apple’s 1600 USD apiece 5k Apple studio displays.
yeah, and?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

They’re not exactly broke boy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My triple 27” 165Hz setup is clearly superior :smug:

Jk they’re 1440p and $250 :negative:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Yeast posted:

What riser is that? I'd like to kick my monitor up by an inch or two and reclaim some of the space underneath, that looks right up my alley.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

The Lord Bude posted:

They’re not exactly broke boy.
maybe not to you

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Yeast posted:

I understand that it looks super pretty and aesthetic for the photos when you have the monitors completely flat and lined up like that and have your mouse/trackpad thing in the center, but do you actually use your setup like that? I'm also a dual monitor, center keyboard user but I have to angle the edges of the monitors towards me(if they're flat) or use curved displays(preferably). Using some rough, quick maths and assuming you were sitting like 24inches away from your monitors at the center, that would put the outside edges at like 35" away from you or so, doesn't it?

Just curious, not trolling or anything. The setup is gorgeous but if I was using it like that I feel like I would be cranking my head all over or sliding my chair back and forth to comfortably use each monitor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

plester1 posted:

What riser is that? I'd like to kick my monitor up by an inch or two and reclaim some of the space underneath, that looks right up my alley.

I’m pretty sure that’s DIY’d out of a bunch of IKEA bits + wood tabletop.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

100% Dundee posted:

I understand that it looks super pretty and aesthetic for the photos when you have the monitors completely flat and lined up like that and have your mouse/trackpad thing in the center, but do you actually use your setup like that? I'm also a dual monitor, center keyboard user but I have to angle the edges of the monitors towards me(if they're flat) or use curved displays(preferably). Using some rough, quick maths and assuming you were sitting like 24inches away from your monitors at the center, that would put the outside edges at like 35" away from you or so, doesn't it?

Just curious, not trolling or anything. The setup is gorgeous but if I was using it like that I feel like I would be cranking my head all over or sliding my chair back and forth to comfortably use each monitor.

I had the same thought cuz my monitor is just barely able to be low enough to not be craining the ol’ neck

Top of monitor equal to eye level is the superior computering race

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

plester1 posted:

It's a piece of oak wood that I stained and whacked some Ikea furniture risers on. I also built the table when I renovated the room:

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m pretty sure that’s DIY’d out of a bunch of IKEA bits + wood tabletop.

Bingo.

100% Dundee posted:

Oh yeah, I just lined them up for the shot, they get pushed around as needed.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
if your monitors aren’t curved, they aren’t big enough :cool:

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

I'm looking at all these pictures of people with two displays and putting the "seam" right where facing dead center would be and wondering why?

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

I'm pretty happy with my new setup! I had been using two 24" asus monitors, but the bezel was really thick so I felt like I was always turned either left or right and I couldn't just sit in the middle. Even though I'm not a streamer I opted to do the "streamer" setup with one monitor in portrait. I'm really loving happy with it, but I'm open to suggestions (I'm considering getting an arm and letting me do a "stacked" setup and get rid of my desk lamp).

Also please ignore the towel, it's temporary until I get a curtain for that loving window

which keyboard is this? nice looking setup

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Origin posted:

I'm looking at all these pictures of people with two displays and putting the "seam" right where facing dead center would be and wondering why?

Same reason I have dual displays instead of a single ultra-wide, two single but equally focused workspaces. I guess in a large part I am conditioned by work needing to cross reference two data sources, both equally important, but not at the same moment.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's no reason why you can't have one of the two monitors centered in front of you, and the other at the side tilted towards you

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

shrike82 posted:

there's no reason why you can't have one of the two monitors centered in front of you, and the other at the side tilted toward you

Centered horizontal with a vertical angled inward on the side :discourse:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

there's no reason why you can't have one of the two monitors centered in front of you, and the other at the side tilted towards you

Then it wouldn't be symmetrical and your workspace would look like rear end. I will always be a devoted one monitor guy but if I was to go multi monitor I would have 3 identical ones with the outer ones tilted for the symmetry.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Desk bent, so what?

I still have plans to fix the bow in the countertop with a metal cross bar which I mentioned up-thread but for now it is what it is.

I clearly have never cared about cable management and I'm not really happy with the creative side of the desk after arranging this last weekend. I've been thinking about moving the file cabinets out of here and making an L desk with an additional deep, matching butcherblock countertop on the left plus some shelves on the wall for the speakers. The 42" deep Karlby is loving huge but it does offer a lot of real estate for bleep boops.

That OEM dell keyboard/mouse I pulled from work have got to go, I didn't realize how dusty they were until on screen.

E: that is a load bearing towel, it has sentimental value.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 16, 2022

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

if your monitors aren’t curved, they aren’t big enough :cool:

I get why people like curved monitors, but after trying a curved ultra wide for two weeks, I went back to two separate flat panels.

The curved screen looked great if I was in the perfect spot, but outside of that, the image always felt distorted to me.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

I get why people like curved monitors, but after trying a curved ultra wide for two weeks, I went back to two separate flat panels.

The curved screen looked great if I was in the perfect spot, but outside of that, the image always felt distorted to me.

The ultrawide was probably one of the first "I like this, but there are some downsides" upgrade I've had in a while. I mostly use my computer for programming/Excel/maps and it's great, but if I were working on photos or video it wouldn't be the monitor I'd use for it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there are different curvature levels...

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Coolnezzz posted:

Desk bent, so what?

hell yes; looks great

i’d probably get that desk fixed sooner than later, lest all that fancy equipment end up on the ground, like SOME poster’s

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That’s true, and the LG I tried had an 1800 mm curvature, which is a pretty hefty curve. A less curved screen may have been better, but 2 standard screens ultimately works better for me.

I did also try a non-curved 34” ultra wide, and that was even worse. The viewing angle for the screen edges was just enough to start to get visual degradation.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I just got my first house, so new WFH / gaming setup. Work and personal laptops, the latter with a Thunderbolt eGPU I picked up over lockdown while living away from home.

The monitor is 32:10 3840x1200, so basically two 1920x1200 monitors stitched together. It's a good compromise of WFH and gaming. Dual monitors is nice for work but either you put one at a weird angle, or you sit twisted when gaming. 2D platformers are a fantastic use case for ultrawide monitors as shown here with Ori2.

Both laptops are Dell XPS 13s mounted on VESA laptop brackets attached to monitor arms. Personal laptop mounted centrally so I still have (poo poo) stereo sound when I can't be bothered to wear headphones.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lum fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 16, 2022

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Origin posted:

Your nose is in your field of vision. Look at it. Pay attention to it. Now it’s there, always.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Coredump posted:

Your nose is in your field of vision. Look at it. Pay attention to it. Now it’s there, always.

a terrible curse

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

muskrat posted:

which keyboard is this? nice looking setup

Razer Huntsman TKL. Thank you so much! I have some work to do on the actual room (I want to change the lighting big time).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think this is as good a place as any to ask - I'm moving to a new place tomorrow. I've always had somewhat okay cable management under my desk but nothing special.

Since I'm taking everything apart anyways - what are some great products/solutions for cable management under the desk? I've seen some kind of like mesh tray or something from Ikea that people use, not sure if that's where it's at. I have one of those solid beech bigass Ikea tabletops that they don't make anymore so I can drill right into it - anything is possible. I have more cables than normal - have a sim rig that sits beside the desk etc.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Rings that easily split and can screw in or fasten to the underside are great. Many different sizes, flexible since you’re attaching them. I start at each end of the desk, and if it sags I just add one or more in the middle.

I used to work with racks a lot so we always had cable management pieces around, I took a few and screwed those in along the back/bottom of my desk. Nothing to cut since those are designed to allow cables in and out

Zip tie and Velcro can also be fastened along the path but these can be a pain until you are finalized. Lots of undoing and redoing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

VelociBacon posted:

I think this is as good a place as any to ask - I'm moving to a new place tomorrow. I've always had somewhat okay cable management under my desk but nothing special.

Since I'm taking everything apart anyways - what are some great products/solutions for cable management under the desk? I've seen some kind of like mesh tray or something from Ikea that people use, not sure if that's where it's at. I have one of those solid beech bigass Ikea tabletops that they don't make anymore so I can drill right into it - anything is possible. I have more cables than normal - have a sim rig that sits beside the desk etc.
command strip anchors, lots of velcro loops, and maybe some color-matching cable loom if it’s a real shitload of cables