Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

as someone raised by mental health professionals who has been in therapy for a long time (explains something?)

the idea that you could ever have a one-size-fits-all approach to mental health care, let alone one using a goddamned blackbox AI, is horrifying. therapy is intensely personal and good therapists are trained to let people take their journey at their own rate, because anything else simply does not work.

like i guess an ai could be used for a function like detecting "sex" and "12 years old" and doAlertCPS(); but giving platitudes and generic suggestions without a trained human understanding of the situation...oh my god

i've seen therapy apps that amount to fuzzy logic lists of suggestions, like a wall of pamphlets at the doctor's office, but never one that actually tries to be the therapist. i'm aghast

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Just chilling in my 'Max Headroom aesthetic' cyberpunk pad

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

heh, i also remember going to dr. sbaitso for treatment as a youngster... but that was presented as humor! it's not funny when it's supposedly for real.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

as someone raised by mental health professionals who has been in therapy for a long time (explains something?)

the idea that you could ever have a one-size-fits-all approach to mental health care, let alone one using a goddamned blackbox AI, is horrifying. therapy is intensely personal and good therapists are trained to let people take their journey at their own rate, because anything else simply does not work.

like i guess an ai could be used for a function like detecting "sex" and "12 years old" and doAlertCPS(); but giving platitudes and generic suggestions without a trained human understanding of the situation...oh my god

i've seen therapy apps that amount to fuzzy logic lists of suggestions, like a wall of pamphlets at the doctor's office, but never one that actually tries to be the therapist. i'm aghast

I see. And how does that make you feel?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Just chilling in my 'Max Headroom aesthetic' cyberpunk pad
classic winamp skin on row 5

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

heh, i also remember going to dr. sbaitso for treatment as a youngster... but that was presented as humor! it's not funny when it's supposedly for real.
we got bart vs the blender in the same soundblaster pack. good advice ngl

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
is it because of your mother that you were raised by mental health professionals who has been in therapy for a long time (explains something?)?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

so i should throw more data into my ML model. gotcha

*model optimizes for 100% feedback score by convincing every user to kill themselves, leaving only paid reviews*

the data doesn't lie, therapists are obsolete!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

is it because of your mother that you were raised by mental health professionals who has been in therapy for a long time (explains something?)?

incredibly weird post, bro

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jonny 290 posted:

Not at all in context.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

sagebrush had strange phrasing and the dunk on it suffered from poe's law as all things tend to

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kenny Logins posted:

sagebrush had strange phrasing and the dunk on it suffered from poe's law as all things tend to

Yes but how does that make you feel?

It's imitating a markov chain because that's the context.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Yes but how does that make you feel?

It's imitating a markov chain because that's the context.
yeah that zoomed over my head. ty

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

rocks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Generation Internet posted:

It turns out that looting GPS-enabled devices is maybe not an amazing idea

https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1515810683807580163

Not that this is war-winning intel or anything, just what a time to be alive.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
laughing at Mr woebot so hard I think I need therapy

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I quite liked the Zachtronics game/visual novel “Eliza” as an exploration of this exact theme.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Trompe le Monde posted:

I have an email that is very close to someone elses. I live in NZ, this other person lives in texas. To cut a long story short, this texas person has recently bought a second hand tesla and I am honking the horn, flashing the lights, and opening the boot and bonnet. Tech is stupid af

Update: they have scheduled a call out service which I have rescheduled for two weeks later thru the tesla app. The boot has been opened remotely every morning.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trompe le Monde posted:

Update: they have scheduled a call out service which I have rescheduled for two weeks later thru the tesla app. The boot has been opened remotely every morning.

doing the lord's work there.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

ISN'T IT NICE TO HAVE A COMPUTER THAT WILL TALK TO COUNSEL YOU?

my mom had a blast trying to get dr. sbaitso to respond to increasingly bizarre questions :allears:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sgodofsk/status/1515843336539721728

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Trompe le Monde posted:

incredible :allears:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Trompe le Monde posted:

xD

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Indeed, fully sick. Weyland Yutani aesthetic is a pretty good deep cut

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Trompe le Monde posted:

the cyberpunk future we need

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Trompe le Monde posted:

I have a common enough name and early-adopter email that tons of same-initials-as assholes use it (intentionally or not) for various things.

I one day hope to match your inspiring efforts. Terrible devs/PMs everywhere should ensure email addresses are verified before a site uses them for anything.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Trompe le Monde posted:

I have an email that is very close to someone elses. I live in NZ, this other person lives in texas. To cut a long story short, this texas person has recently bought a second hand tesla and I am honking the horn, flashing the lights, and opening the boot and bonnet. Tech is stupid af

Trompe le Monde posted:

LOL

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Trompe le Monde posted:

everyone from texas should be tormented by someone from NZ nonstop

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Alan Smithee posted:

everyone from texas should be tormented by someone from NZ nonstop

the echinopsis maneuver

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

edit: deleted, guess I’ll repost if it’s reposted

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/1515387635606319106?s=20&t=_aO_vwW5QV9Q6fqdFuwyrw

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
that did not happen

e: i'm the dangerous cross boarder raid

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 19, 2022

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

haveblue is specifically referencing the behavior of Eliza, one of the earliest chatbots, which was intended to imitate the behavior of a therapist, and would take things the user said previously and format them into new questions in exactly that fashion.

https://github.com/codeanticode/eliza/blob/e9010f6d62921adc4a84c885ada44dcd34ba77a6/data/eliza.script#L32

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
is it because of the behavior of Eliza, one of the earliest chatbots, which was intended to imitate the behavior of a therapist, and would take things the user said previously and format them into new questions in exactly that fashion.
?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

my photo, magic sword show in nyc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hell yeah good to see someone's taking masks seriously

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Crusader posted:

my photo, magic sword show in nyc

sick

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cyber version of those old-tyme 'Mensur' German dueling fencing goggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

hahahahaha