Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

gently caress this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1515701531009773572

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Lol in this twitter thread a blue jay fan printed out a large version of this and brought it to the game to wave at Nelson but had it confiscated

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Apparently the managers of the Oakland Coliseum have fallen prey to the same trap that afflicted many a Dwarf Fortress and are now overrun with cats.

https://abc7news.com/feral-cats-oakland-coliseum-athletics-ringcentral-kittens/11752747/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Apparently the managers of the Oakland Coliseum have fallen prey to the same trap that afflicted many a Dwarf Fortress and are now overrun with cats.

https://abc7news.com/feral-cats-oakland-coliseum-athletics-ringcentral-kittens/11752747/

This would be a fun TNR project to work on lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Texas Rangers can't pitch, they can't field, and the organization still can't talk about anyone other than Nolan Ryan while half of his footage is as an Astro.

:sigh:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Omg I want to adopt a stadium kitten. He'll have a whole litter and name em after the many many Acts greats who left for better teams.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

rickiep00h posted:

Omg I want to adopt a stadium kitten. He'll have a whole litter and name em after the many many Acts greats who left for better teams.

"Ricky wants a tummy rub."

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/TheLydiaCruz/status/1515736817353457665?t=nWv2Bd8rSsUQYoF1TbqbfA&s=19

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cosplay is so stu...uh, great?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly mcmagic is right. The Yankees just aren’t a very good team this year.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

I will hug him and squeeze him and call him Josh Donaldson.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

So this guy has seventeen consecutive perfect innings with 33 Ks

e: I am not finding a good place to look this up. Can you tell us what he throws? We know he has a FB that can hit 100 and since it’s NPB I assume also a splitter?

I read a lot about him after the last game and this is my very amateur take.

Fastball might be legitimately the best fastball on the planet. Already. no one else has the same combination of control, break, and velo. the only hold up is the tackier Japanese ball helping movement a bit, but there's no way that doesn't translate as an absolutely world beating pitch in any league in the world.

the splitter is a big plus pitch also. it is really fast for an offspeed pitch and has huge vertical drop. he can locate it pretty well, can throw it anywhere in the zone, and his motion is pretty close to identical with both pitches.

he doesn't really throw many breaking pitches, which is probably the biggest question mark for him as a major league prospect. he throws a very occasional slider, which really big break and is also very hard but he can't really locate it so he can only use it as an out pitch against righties. he also allegedly throws a slurve or curve but I haven't really seen either.

his mechanics are very consistent but not very compact, and his arm motion is one that can cause injury problems with both the forearm and elbow.

looking at him as a prospect, he's dominating the second best league in the world to an unprecedented level at age 20. it isn't just starting off this year either, he was brilliant in limited action last year as well. comparing him to your average draft ready college junior, he has the best raw tools of any pitcher I've ever seen, and parts of this game (command, poise, etc) are already very polished. Major League scouts are definitely going to want to see a couple more pitches in the repertoire, but based on what we've seen so far I can't imagine he'd have any trouble developing something. that said, between the limited repertoire and the mechanics concerns, I wouldn't call him a sure thing...but man the potential is just astronomical.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1515659506759385091?t=3jRv_wXA5CESVuYGQwFORA&s=19

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bewbies posted:

I read a lot about him after the last game and this is my very amateur take.

Fastball might be legitimately the best fastball on the planet. Already. no one else has the same combination of control, break, and velo. the only hold up is the tackier Japanese ball helping movement a bit, but there's no way that doesn't translate as an absolutely world beating pitch in any league in the world.

the splitter is a big plus pitch also. it is really fast for an offspeed pitch and has huge vertical drop. he can locate it pretty well, can throw it anywhere in the zone, and his motion is pretty close to identical with both pitches.

he doesn't really throw many breaking pitches, which is probably the biggest question mark for him as a major league prospect. he throws a very occasional slider, which really big break and is also very hard but he can't really locate it so he can only use it as an out pitch against righties. he also allegedly throws a slurve or curve but I haven't really seen either.

his mechanics are very consistent but not very compact, and his arm motion is one that can cause injury problems with both the forearm and elbow.

looking at him as a prospect, he's dominating the second best league in the world to an unprecedented level at age 20. it isn't just starting off this year either, he was brilliant in limited action last year as well. comparing him to your average draft ready college junior, he has the best raw tools of any pitcher I've ever seen, and parts of this game (command, poise, etc) are already very polished. Major League scouts are definitely going to want to see a couple more pitches in the repertoire, but based on what we've seen so far I can't imagine he'd have any trouble developing something. that said, between the limited repertoire and the mechanics concerns, I wouldn't call him a sure thing...but man the potential is just astronomical.

Nice, thanks for this!

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dammit how many paychecks is Dave Roberts collecting this year!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

He is risen!

https://twitter.com/justinctoscano/status/1515800665045360642?s=21

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

was coming to post this, yaaaay!!!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sunday Funday

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mariners/comments/u5y86k/you_love_too_see_the_ump_catcher_and_batter_join/

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

was coming to post this, yaaaay!!!

That lead off spot is dying to get him back in the lineup

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

god drat the Phillies suck

Salvor_Hardin posted:

stadium cats should stay away from stadium sewage imo

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

god drat the Phillies suck

stadium cats should stay away from stadium sewage imo

They thought it was a litterbox given the amount of poo poo on the field :haw:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Andrew Heaney is good now

https://twitter.com/fabianardaya/status/1515842229557891072?s=21&t=tau7Zz5G6Mw00DXHCdh1zA

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

would be cool if literally any undistinguished player went to the dodgers and didn't exponentially improve

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol

I just realized that not only are the Yankees pretty much the only team in the majors who are resting their regulars every single week, they are also one of the only teams who have their starters on these extremely limited spring training pitch counts. They are basically the biggest morons in the sport operating like they are smarter than everyone else.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 18, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

not buying it. it's literally impossible.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe the Reds lineup is just that bad, but his new slider sure made them look foolish, he got 14 whiffs on 22 swings with that pitch today. I picked a good game for my first of the year.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Maybe the Reds lineup is just that bad, but his new slider sure made them look foolish, he got 14 whiffs on 22 swings with that pitch today. I picked a good game for my first of the year.

Reds are bad but he struck out Votto 3 times

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trea Turner’s 27 game hit streak also came to an end today, naturally on a day the rest of the offense was firing.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Brett Phillips is a national treasure
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1515854149560188928?s=20&t=N7rxLn7YchI7MZ_8arglpg

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The Heandog lightning absolutely can strike once or twice per season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

seiya is good
https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1515803767475609600?s=20&t=i3HBgQvzI16XzNu2ACtPMA

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

If he was on the Giants I'd believe it. Dodgers? No I'm sorry their foul magicks only work on international free agents and rule 5 guys from Oakland.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Yankee Twitter is in peak form. The April sky is falling just another part of the fabric of spring at this point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

davecrazy posted:

Yankee Twitter is in peak form. The April sky is falling just another part of the fabric of spring at this point.

If you were making GBS threads on them in April the last 2 years you were right!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Also it isn’t like the problems with the offense being terrible haven’t been around for two years now.

Check out Boone’s statement from May 2021 and his statement today:

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1399019798147878912?s=20&t=kXe-gV9u2_Kyplqn98dL9w

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/1515795120217640976?s=20&t=kXe-gV9u2_Kyplqn98dL9w

Basically the same loving thing!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

mcmagic posted:

If you were making GBS threads on them in April the last 2 years you were right!

The New York Yankees played at a 91-win level and made the playoffs both of the past two seasons.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

xbilkis posted:

The New York Yankees played at a 91-win level and made the playoffs both of the past two seasons.

It truly breaks my brain that they can be so putrid to watch and still got 91 wins last season.

But I'm not gonna care about it too much, either they hit or they don't, adding one of the big SS over the winter won't make up for 8 other dudes going 0fer with RISP every night.

EDIT: To be clear, I will be mad about it because it's both annoying and also makes for excruciating baseball to watch, but they'll either unfuck it or not, nothing I can do about it.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 18, 2022

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

mcmagic posted:

lol

I just realized that not only are the Yankees pretty much the only team in the majors who are resting their regulars every single week, they are also one of the only teams who have their starters on these extremely limited spring training pitch counts. They are basically the biggest morons in the sport operating like they are smarter than everyone else.

The Rangers have had 1 start this season above 4 IP.

It would blow my mind every game I watched this weekend and remark at what a lousy team they seem to be and then up steps Corey Seager. Such a bizzare signing that he ended up with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

xbilkis posted:

The wild card game isn’t really making the playoffs. They have clearly not been a championship caliber team for a while.