Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Stravag posted:

Shocks, Alice, donoteat, Rich, the hell of a way boys, there are way less lovely options than making liam the cohost for like 50 episodes. Liam is so awful it makes the Jewish Avengers a bad episode.

Eh he's slightly annoying to me, but I didnt think he wss THAT bad

I do miss Nick though.

And yeah, the HOAWTD dudes all rule

Joe should make me his cohost. I'm a fat Jewish guy who fails at comedy too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Can't make this poo poo up, captured Russian TNT charges turn out to be blocks of wood in paper wrapping.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KWroz/status/1515717393812709384

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
It's always difficult to paint a concrete picture of what systemic corruption looks like. But this war has given the world some very tangible examples.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

psydude posted:

It's always difficult to paint a concrete picture of what systemic corruption looks like. But this war has given the world some very tangible examples.

I don't get it, do people not check their equipment? If I had to ruck march with a ton of gear I'd check every little bit of it just so I'd have an excuse to not have to march with it or get a replacement if its something I absolutely needed.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
But if you report your gear as being anything other than in pristine condition, you'll either be on the hook for its replacement you might get a hit put out against you by the Russian mafia.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

But if you report your gear as being anything other than in pristine condition, you'll either be on the hook for its replacement you might get a hit put out against you by the Russian mafia.

Yea, don’t embarrass your squad leader or LT like that. Are you saying they don’t provide for their soldiers?

LT and squad leader were busy selling that gear on the black market

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't get it, do people not check their equipment? If I had to ruck march with a ton of gear I'd check every little bit of it just so I'd have an excuse to not have to march with it or get a replacement if its something I absolutely needed.

Imagine a society which from top to bottom runs on the rule of 'take what you can, give nothing back'. As long as you are getting paid, you are totally disinvested in whether whatever you are doing is a success or not. So is everyone around you. You probably sold your thing. If you didn't, the guy who's job is to keep track of the things is probably the one who sold it. Either way, why do you care?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Can't make this poo poo up, captured Russian TNT charges turn out to be blocks of wood in paper wrapping.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KWroz/status/1515717393812709384

Hang on, where did the TNT even get sold to? Whoever bought it can't really use it without getting a lot of attention. "Stuff blows up" isn't quiet or subtle.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Quackles posted:

Hang on, where did the TNT even get sold to? Whoever bought it can't really use it without getting a lot of attention. "Stuff blows up" isn't quiet or subtle.

You're assuming it ever actually got made.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Quackles posted:

There's plenty of industrial uses for TNT, but it's also possible that the TNT was simply never produced despite being paid for.

efb

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Quackles posted:

Probably the Russian mob who then sold it to fellow bad actors.

Or it got "reallocated" to mining/industrial concerns.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea, don’t embarrass your squad leader or LT like that. Are you saying they don’t provide for their soldiers?

LT and squad leader were busy selling that gear on the black market

In my unit there were some enterprising young NCO's that noticed there was some equipment in the arms room that wasn't on the books and they wanted it for themselves. They roped in their platoon leader who also wanted some of it, even went up to his commander and was like "hey sir, want any of this poo poo from the arms room that's not on the books?".

The commander's response was basically "are you loving kidding me?". I don't know what happened to the NCO's but the LT was dealt with by the brigade commander.

That LT was too stupid for his own good and deserved everything he got.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

A now defunct American hard drive manufacturer called MiniScribe had managers pack 26 000 bricks in cardboard boxes to mask a shortfall in inventory in 1987. I expect a similar story behind the Russian tree-en-tree.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

A now defunct American hard drive manufacturer called MiniScribe had managers pack 26 000 bricks in cardboard boxes to mask a shortfall in inventory in 1987. I expect a similar story behind the Russian tree-en-tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwzQyXAvXI

The story is loving amazing

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1515820381013168135?s=21&t=1314U3JIblDIj_xG9BYpQQ

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Aside from already looking like it's taking on water, looks like the deck is about a meter above the waterline, so not hard to see how even a smallish storm could've swamped it

pumps also don't appear to be running in the next pic, though maybe the resolution is just too low. Looks like it was shot in lower light, too.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 17, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ship is hosed up, OP

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Aside from already looking like it's taking on water, looks like the deck is about a meter above the waterline, so not hard to see how even a smallish storm could've swamped it

What kind of weather does the Black Sea get? Are ships designed to stay in there built to different standards than ocean going ships?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
"storm"

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What kind of weather does the Black Sea get? Are ships designed to stay in there built to different standards than ocean going ships?

No. I've heard it can get weather but I don't really know anything about it. There were like .5-1 meter seas which is basically as flat as it gets. You can see the water in those pics is basically glass.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm not a navy person (my pertinent knowledge is just having a bunch of family who have done commercial fishing) or a black sea knower, but that's a fully ocean going vessel, it should be fine in basically any seas when undamaged. Black sea definitely gets some substantial storms and substantial swells (since wave height is mostly just about the wind coefficient of drag on water plus with some interactions with seafloor depending on depth). I believe a fairly small storm (~30-40kmh/18 knots) came through around 12-2am and it was around that time that Russian state media reported that the explosions finally stopped, which I cynically figured was them admitting it had finally sunk. That the seas were so calm in the first pictures is a good sign that they may have actually rescued a significant amount of the crew, which, even as someone staunchly in the 'gently caress russia' side of things, makes me feel better. burning alive at sea seems like one of the worst possible ways to die, so I hope they did get people off it if possible.

someone way tf more knowledgeable than me probably is in this thread and can give you better answers

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 18, 2022

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Slava class was not designed exclusively for the Black Sea I think, the other two are with the Northern and Pacific fleets at least.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The other two ships of its class are with the Northern and the Pacific fleet, I don't think it was specifically designed for service only within the Black Sea.

E:fb

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
It turns out that looting GPS-enabled devices is maybe not an amazing idea

https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1515810683807580163

Not that this is war-winning intel or anything, just what a time to be alive.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Generation Internet posted:

It turns out that looting GPS-enabled devices is maybe not an amazing idea

https://twitter.com/HN_Schlottman/status/1515810683807580163

Not that this is war-winning intel or anything, just what a time to be alive.

Does everyone remember when the Russians seemed like the technologically advanced force?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKBN14B0CU

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A hacking group linked to the Russian government and high-profile cyber attacks against Democrats during the U.S. presidential election likely used a malware implant on Android devices to track and target Ukrainian artillery units from late 2014 through 2016, according to a new report released Thursday.

The malware was able to retrieve communications and some locational data from infected devices, intelligence that would have likely been used to strike against the artillery in support of pro-Russian separatists fighting in eastern Ukraine, the report from cyber security firm CrowdStrike found.

What an amazing change in circumstances in just 6 years

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Quackles posted:

Alternatively, buy 1,000 sticks of dynamite and ten pieces of wood. Sell the army 1010 sticks of dynamite with a 99% chance they won't be discovered pocket the difference of 10 sticks of dynamite. Repeat.

Altalternaritively, replace your 1,000 sticks of dynamite with wood and sell 1,000 milspec sticks to a legal buyer: the military

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I wondered when this all came out if one of the neptunes had struck that large stack of anti-aircraft carrier missiles all lined up and caused them to detonate. Looks like it might’ve just happened that way. Maybe leaving massive missiles in tubes right out in the deck looks intimidating but isn’t so great safety wise?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Blind Rasputin posted:

I wondered when this all came out if one of the neptunes had struck that large stack of anti-aircraft carrier missiles all lined up and caused them to detonate. Looks like it might’ve just happened that way. Maybe leaving massive missiles in tubes right out in the deck looks intimidating but isn’t so great safety wise?

People were saying that Ukraine couldn't have sunk that with only two missiles because they only had "X" amount of HE per warhead. A ship like that could have been sunk with a single stray rifle round for the reason you just mentioned.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Blind Rasputin posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but those supersonic ASCMs are big fuckers and would require either their own VLS or a heavy and complex modification to the existing VLS.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

pumps also don't appear to be running in the next pic, though maybe the resolution is just too low. Looks like it was shot in lower light, too.

You wouldn’t be able to tell whether the pumps are going from a picture. Ships almost always have some sort of pump going.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Blistex posted:

People were saying that Ukraine couldn't have sunk that with only two missiles because they only had "X" amount of HE per warhead. A ship like that could have been sunk with a single stray rifle round for the reason you just mentioned.

Yeah it does seem like the chance for a golden bb are greatly increased when half of the target silhouette are big fuckoff rocket boosters inside tubes that can't be that heavily armored.

Then again the actual designed use case for the ship probably involved caveats like "won't ever be in range of shore launched ASMs" and "will have flushed all the tubes in the direction of a carrier group before it could receive any incoming"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrozenVent posted:

You wouldn’t be able to tell whether the pumps are going from a picture. Ships almost always have some sort of pump going.

Ships almost always have fire alarms too…

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/AlexKhrebet/status/1515667971267608582?s=20&t=1FeGsBwwN6i8OK7se6Urqw

field promoted by the boss? all killer no filler

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

yeah, I'm talking about in contrast to this picture

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

FrozenVent posted:

He might be referring to what might be the fire hoses from the other pic, which would require a pump of their own. Not sure why they'd be going in the one pic and not the other, though. Maybe in the one where they're going they're not being used for firefighting, but instead for emergency bilge pumping capacity? That would explain why that one hose is pointed aft away from the fire.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/Krizzo888/status/1515821073476030465

I was wondering about the calm sea state

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

That screenshot shows the tail end of the storm front that had moved through earlier, despite people posting it to show that the seas were flat. Imo the ship likely sunk quite a while before Russia actually reported it sunk.

Also it isn't really any less embarrassing if it sank in 2m seas versus flat seas. It shouldn't be sinking in really any seas, nor should it be getting hit by a pair of anti-ship missiles that were literally the only threat it meaningfully had to watch out for.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This website has a lot of publically available info about those missiles. They seem quite formidable on paper. A salvo of 8 attacking a carrier battle group could probably be dangerous, especially if they’re going supersonic.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/ss-n-12.htm

But wow do a few crazy things stand out. The missiles are heavy as gently caress. So they require powder-based starter charger things as well as a solid booster core to just get out of the tube and up to cruise speed. Without some form of starter engine the rocket doesn’t have the ability to start it’s own engine. So, there’s a lot of explosive stuff at the rear of all those tubes! They ran into a huge problem in testing that all the gas from this starting operation would choke the engines of every other missile trying to launch and stall them out, but sounds like they fixed that with salvo timing and some gas exhaust system on the big boats. Lastly, the housings are fiberglass and aluminum. Otherwise they’d be too heavy. So.. lmao.

What I am assuming to be 100% correct is that the project to put these missiles on the Slava class boats was completed late in the Cold War.they’ve been tested and intermittently upgraded since then. So I assume that the same missiles and same starter propellant has probably been sitting in those tubes without maintenance for the bare minimum of 10-20 years now. A Neptune hitting a bunch of aged fiberglass housings full of old missiles with old propellant and solid phase starter boosters is likely a recipe for disaster.

Edit: russia lied about everything. It definitely sank hours before they said so. When the Kursk exploded (from an aged, unmaintained torpedo leaking propellant into the torpedo room) they didn’t tell the families anything was wrong for days and weeks. Hell, they even said they were in communication with the crew and they were all fine at one point (they weren’t, they were suffocating in the dark in the only remaining watertight compartment left). Any time I’m reminded of that it blows me away that if they were just honest and accepted international help at the start the Norwegian(?) diver team would’ve probably rescued them in time.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 18, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I wonder how much damage to the ship firing off the entire battery of anti carrier missiles would do. I don't mean the USS Gerald Ford, but to the slava firing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

A.o.D. posted:

I wonder how much damage to the ship firing off the entire battery of anti carrier missiles would do. I don't mean the USS Gerald Ford, but to the slava firing them.

Do they even have reload-at-sea capability?