Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/AlpertReyes/status/1507004910738423825

quote:

In the absence of breakthrough case data at home, U.S. scientists have looked abroad to answer questions about waning immunity and the need for booster shots. The U.K.’s Health Security Agency has been a particularly popular data provider when new variants emerge, with its regular reports showing the connections between variants and changes in transmission, hospitalization rates and vaccine effectiveness.

“It’s very hard to watch,” Topol said, discussing these regular updates. “The U.K. reports, I read them every week. And what do we have? Nothing.”

Many people are saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Greg Legg posted:

My idiot plan to find out whether or not my kids had covid by getting sick with whatever they had is working perfectly. I will test in the morning.

:ohdear: I hope it's not covid and now that I have said this everything will be fine!
(fingers crossed for you, so sorry you're sick with whatever it is and hope you feel much better quickly)

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

its not fair that covid gets to use so many game genie codes at once

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Since we’re all just hanging out and vibing, just a fun quick question, what y’all buying in anticipation of maybe China not sending us stuff for awhile? Like if you were thinking of what you’d buy in such a scenario what would it be?

I bought a new iPhone and car so I think I’m set for a while

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Since we’re all just hanging out and vibing, just a fun quick question, what y’all buying in anticipation of maybe China not sending us stuff for awhile? Like if you were thinking of what you’d buy in such a scenario what would it be?

I finally bought Elden Ring and will not even notice the supply chain crashing until my power goes out :hellyeah:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
screws and beans

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Over

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

I finally bought Elden Ring and will not even notice the supply chain crashing until my power goes out :hellyeah:

this is the way

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

T-Paine posted:

Live music has always been kind of baffling to me. I get it why normies like it, but I wouldn't pay that much to be in a crowd of sick assholes to hear worse versions (jam bands or whatever notwithstanding I know) of my favorite band's songs

mosh pits are fuckin dope and i miss em

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

elden ring + a few dozen pounds of lentils is all anyone really needs

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We put together some Easter feasts for the rats but they preferred to eat in their cage and also preferred the beans and pasta.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Ohh I should probably try to get a new phone.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

i pulled the trigger on a new graphics card

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if you thought mosh pits were too safe before, we have good news

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I upped my water delivery from 4 5 gallon drums a month to 10 for the next few months so i can have a backlog when the apocalypse comes.

Speaking of which, zombie jesus gave New Hampshire a hail storm today. Creepy as gently caress.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Horse :clint:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rats also love to hang out in the toilet for some reason

speng31b
May 8, 2010

It's fun sometimes to binge watch a bunch of bushcraft videos about people building bomb rear end cabins and dugouts in the woods and eating beans and unknown meats cooked on mud brick ovens. sometimes they have dogs and the dogs are great

sometimes I think about just disappearing into the woods and digging a badass hole with my dogs

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We put together some Easter feasts for the rats but they preferred to eat in their cage and also preferred the beans and pasta.

I could always tell when my hamster really liked something because she’d eat it right away instead of pouching it for her hoard, always made me feel like I was doing a good job

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

During the initial stage of Covid-19, Ms Webster recalled she felt very fatigued for a couple of weeks.

“I had difficulty walking up and down stairs, and my chest felt off in a way I hadn’t felt before,” she told NCA NewsWire.

“I had some difficulty breathing, though I wasn’t coughing at that time.

“My taste changed for a couple of days with some types of food.”

Ms Webster, 26, considered her illness to be mild and after a couple of weeks, she became slightly better.

“I could go grocery shopping once a week, which meant walking for 40 minutes, and I could do small amounts of jogging or similar exercises,” she said.

“But I never really recovered at all. Over the next few months I tried twice to start building up my strength through exercise, but that caused me to relapse or crash each time.

“Every time that happened, I became permanently worse and experienced new symptoms.”

Ms Webster, who is from Perth, said she kept waiting to recover, but it never happened.

“I also experienced a lot of brain fog, or cognitive dysfunction, at the time, so I would actually forget to do things like call the doctor,” she said.

It was not until the end of 2020 she realised she had long Covid and she returned to Australia.

Ms Webster still suffers from about 30 minor and “very weird” symptoms, including extreme fatigue, brain fog and breathing difficulties.

She also suffers from pericarditis, which is the swelling and irritation of the tissue surrounding the heart, and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, which affects blood flow.

“Because of fatigue, I can walk for about five to 10 minutes at a time,” she said.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...20311e304f01808

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
AR and TN looking safe for when I drive through in a few days :cool:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

WampaLord posted:

i pulled the trigger on a new graphics card

My PC is 7+ years old and we keep talking about getting a new one but I don’t even know where to start, it feels super overwhelming. This one is still doing it’s job but I’d hate for it to die at a time it can’t easily be replaced.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Hi I already did this in 2020 and I've just been waiting for civilization to end since then

-batteries
-screws
-woodworking supplies/tools
-moonshine making supplies
-backup electronics for posting
-printer paper and toner
-gardening tools
-sewing supplies, bolts of cloth and thread
-synthesizers
-chemistry glassware and lab equipment
-food preservation supplies, jars and dehydrator

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Hi I already did this in 2020 and I've just been waiting for civilization to end since then

-batteries
-screws
-printer paper and toner
-gardening tools
-synthesizers

Oh yeah? I've seen every season of Naked and Afraid.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

text editor posted:

Literally a zombie virus

kind of regretting that decision to watch The Sadness (2021) on a whim about two weeks ago what with everything that has happened every single day since lmao

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Burnt_toastist posted:

Source: I'm an ER doctor.

post your fridge

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Rutibex posted:

-synthesizers

Do you mean like a keytar?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

God Hole posted:

kind of regretting that decision to watch The Sadness (2021) on a whim about two weeks ago what with everything that has happened every single day since lmao

I'm going to watch this. I love me a good escapist movie!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1514960445366439937?s=20&t=Lvggwa0d7oZ7EfuUyqQgNg

Thanks, super loving terrible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Burnt_toastist posted:

If you need more relief and don't have kidney disease, maximum pain relief with minimal side-effects is ibuprofen (Motrin) 400 mg every 6 hours.

😡

Anti‐inflammatory dose

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Do you mean like a keytar?

:haw:
better! no American is gonna assemble Casio keyboards. if China cuts us off they will be the new gold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qfNln2Y0B4

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

My PC is 7+ years old and we keep talking about getting a new one but I don’t even know where to start, it feels super overwhelming. This one is still doing it’s job but I’d hate for it to die at a time it can’t easily be replaced.

the PC builder megathread has good advice and was main my research resource when building my latest one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Rutibex posted:

-batteries
-screws
-printer paper and toner
-gardening tools
-synthesizers

-bike

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

WampaLord posted:

the PC builder megathread has good advice and was main my research resource when building my latest one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970266

Thanks!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

-horse

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Burnt_toastist posted:

Aspirin is good for thinning your blood if you're at risk of heart attack or stroke but lousy for pain relief and has lots of side effects.

Best pain relief with minimal side-effects for people without liver disease is acetaminophen (Tylenol) 1000 mg every 6 hours. If you need more relief and don't have kidney disease, maximum pain relief with minimal side-effects is ibuprofen (Motrin) 400 mg every 6 hours. You can alternate these meds so that you're taking something every 3 hours if necessary. Ibuprofen can cause stomach bleeding though if taken for long periods of time, so I recommend using it second-line after acetaminophen. Acetaminophen gets added to all sorts of "cold/flu medicine" so you have to read labels to avoid taking an excess of the above listed safe-limit.

Source: I'm an ER doctor. This is medical advice provided as a PSA to keep people from taking aspirin and avoid overdosing other over-the-counter medications. Please consult with a doctor IRL if you have any questions or specific medical conditions, thanks.

Also, COVID is airborne and gently caress all these morons on Twitter saying to get rid of masking.

Possibly relevant in the COVID thread but my pulmonologist has said I can use ibuprofen but prefers Tylenol because I guess ibuprofen does something to blood oxygen or with low blood oxygen and I rock sub 95% due to a chronic lung condition.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
a cart you can pull along like a middle ages peasant going to market is also a good choice. they are expensive but you can make one out of a shopping cart if you need to

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We tried to do a vegan Easter dinner but the Mac n cheese we got from a third party has pancetta in it. Oh well

Post the before picture!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

woman, man, camera, TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Hello, I mostly just lurk except for some Games threads, but thank you for this thread, because I know that I'm not alone in thinking that everybody else is loving insane for ignoring the still-ongoing pandemic raging (mildly) across the country/world. I have one co-worker who shares my feelings, though she seems less frustrated about it than I am. The few customers we get who still wear masks (like 5-10%, if that, so not many) are mostly wearing decent ones from what I can tell. There are still a few cloth masks, but at least they're trying, I guess? At least none of them seem to be treating it like a magic talisman that lets them get up in my face or anything; it's almost like people who still wear masks are likely to also take other precautions to prevent catching/transmitting an airborne disease. Most of the other stores in the area don't even have employees wearing them anymore, much less customers. Our store recently made employee masking optional (stopped asking customers to do it last year), and about half the staff immediately stopped wearing theirs.

I had one guy a couple weeks ago ask when I was going to stop wearing my mask, and I told him "when COVID is significantly over."
"Well, isn't it?"
"Really? You believe the CDC when they tell you it's over?"
"No, I guess not... But I bet you're vaccinated. They say you don't have to wear one now."
"I am, but the WHO still says masks are recommended indoors, vaxxed or not. I'm stuck in here for 8 hours a day, man. Yeah, it sucks, but I don't want COVID."
He said some poo poo about living in fear and how everyone's gonna get it eventually, and I had other customers to deal with so I just said "I don't want it because I don't like being sick, no matter what it is. I hope you stay healthy, too. Have a good day."

I used to really like my job and most of my customers. Everyone in retail deals with rear end in a top hat regulars, but since the pandemic started, they've been a lot louder and more numerous. I lost respect for a lot of customers after 2016 when they would come in with Trump/MAGA poo poo proudly displayed, and a lot of those same people were, unsurprisingly, also vehement anti-maskers (we lost a few of them permanently when we implemented our short-lived customer mask policy, so that's a nice thing that happened during the pandemic).

Sorry, this got longer than I intended. I really just wanted to de-lurk to say "thanks for this thread, it's nice to know I'm not alone," but then I had to keep going, I guess.

Also, Pillowpants: Thank you for your poop-maps. I'm in one of the few areas that's being tracked (I'm at the northern edge of the big Milwaukee/Chicago/surrounding areas blob), and seeing your map/chart updates have made me very glad I still mask up and also anxious for what the next couple of weeks are gonna look like. I'm not relying on them as a sole source of anxiety information, but it's good to have something solid (well, semi-solid :haw:), since everyone else seems to just be saying "if we don't report test results, then we won't have more cases."