Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I love Ramble on Rose. Reminds me of a specific time in my life, as that song was playing when I found out that I was moving out of (ironically) Northern California. In retrospect it was a good move, and the phrase "the grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter either side of the hill" helped me keep things in perspective.

I'm a strat guy, so I really love Jerry's Alligator (guitar) period. That maple neck is really bright and I think that while he doesn't stray far from the melody on this one, I have always loved his expressive playing on this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r701eJz12ZE

I have had my share of laughs over the years at Donna Jean singing some clams, especially coming back in at the end of the Playin jam for sure. I did see somewhere on some documentary that she was defending herself a bit by saying that she went from Muscle Shoals recording studio, essentially an extremely controlled environment - to shortly thereafter being plopped down in front of the wall of sound and couldnt hear anything half the time. Ah well, she sounds good on some stuff and not so great on others.

The real quest here is to find the worst Donna Jean you've ever heard (I'm just kidding). I do remember one time listening to a Playin and my buddy and I just howling laughing at her coming back in way off key

One dumb anecdote: Terrapin station was one of the first Dead cassettes I got as kid. Love Terrapin of course, but I could not stand, I mean could not stand the song "Sunrise", which I'm sure is a common theme among Deadheads. Always skipped it. One time, someone dubbed me a live tape, I forget what year it was, but like a light switch I started to like that song because the live version was just way.. more genuine without all the production or strings and Donna Jean sounded good. Anyway maybe one day I'll figure out what show that was as it turned me around a bit on that song. Obviously not a favorite, but for some reason it became palatable after that moment.

I really like this thread so thanks yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Planet X posted:

The real quest here is to find the worst Donna Jean you've ever heard (I'm just kidding). I do remember one time listening to a Playin and my buddy and I just howling laughing at her coming back in way off key
I found her first or second show a few weeks ago. My wife has gotten so used to the Dead constantly being on in the house that she never mentions it but when I was listening to that while doing dishes she stopped on her way through the kitchen and just went “Oh wow that’s rough.”

quote:

One dumb anecdote: Terrapin station was one of the first Dead cassettes I got as kid. Love Terrapin of course, but I could not stand, I mean could not stand the song "Sunrise", which I'm sure is a common theme among Deadheads. Always skipped it. One time, someone dubbed me a live tape, I forget what year it was, but like a light switch I started to like that song because the live version was just way.. more genuine without all the production or strings and Donna Jean sounded good. Anyway maybe one day I'll figure out what show that was as it turned me around a bit on that song. Obviously not a favorite, but for some reason it became palatable after that moment.

Terrapin Station was my first Dead vinyl and I’ve always loved that album. I mentioned earlier not liking Dancing in the Streets but the one on the album is my favorite. But otherwise, Sunrise included I like the entirety of Terrapin Station enough that I dubbed at least a couple cassettes of it to listen to in my parents’ cars with tape decks.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol I loving love Tivoli #1

When the time comes I'll post some thoughts which may be unhinged rambling.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Those of you following along with the Deadcast - are you listening to the podcast eps before or after the dates they talk about? I like getting the anecdotes before I listen to the show to make me feel like I'm there, but the musicology talks kinda spoil the jams for me since most of these shows I'm hearing in their entirety for the first time. Small price to pay for the heady knowledge.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

Lol I loving love Tivoli #1

:same:

I haven’t listened to them all before, but this one and Olympia Theater Paris are both shows that I’ve really latched onto.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Trip Report:

Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen, April 14th, 1972.

The shows have been getting longer, and the Dead have been getting more comfortable. Right out of the gate with a 'Bertha' that sees Jerry in a good mood and a standard Set 1 except for the addition of 'Me and Bobby McGee'. There's plenty of early banter with the crowd too, even though only a small portion of them actually know what they're saying. There are a lot of short, sharp performances in the first set and while some nights can start to feel interchangeable, I think 'Bertha', 'Black-throated Wind' and, unbelievably, 'Tennessee Jed'* are worth checking out.

The second set unleashes the jamming, most of it coming from the centre-piece that is that 'Dark Star'->'Sugar Magnolia'-->'Good Lovin''-->'Caution'-->'Good Lovin'. In sadder news, before that we had the last 'Looks Like Rain' of the tour, and it's a goodbye to Jerry's Steel guitar sound. It's alright though, later on Bobby and Donna will work on it and it'll come back stronger than ever. Another 'Dark Star' that's hovering around the 30 minute mark, and at this point it's probably going to be easier choosing which DS is the worst one of this tour because they're all pretty special. My only note is that I don't think the ending works. In the case of pointing out the obvious, it's worth highlighting how great Bill was at this time. It's easy to forget about him sometimes, and admittedly it can be hard to hear him when there's so much happening, but if nothing else listen to him on that DS. There's another Pigpen showcase in here, however if you're not in the mood for hearing about fooling around with 17-year-olds and running from their shotgun-toting fathers then it might not be for you. One of the best things about these Pigpen numbers is we're so close to leaving that whole era of the Dead behind, and there's already one foot firmly in what they would become in 73 and beyond, but we get to hear some of the piss and vinegar of that early Dead. If you have Spotify it's worth listening to Dick's Picks 22. It's the earliest show they've released from 1968. The venue is a converted bowling alley and it's such a scuzzy performance with the band starting at 11 and staying that way. There's an echo of that in the 'Good Lovin'/'Caution' on this night and again shows what a showman like Pigpen could do for the band. Dude just liked to entertain.

Another member having a good one is Keith. I think it's because he's a little more prominent in the mix for this show and hopefully if nothing else these shows might dispel the notion that Keith didn't add all that much. I don't think the later criticisms of him are completely unfounded, but he was undoubtedly a core part of their sound and my personal preference is his accompaniment compared with Brent's overpowering. We end the show with 'Not Fade Away'-->'Goin' Down The Road'-->'Not Fade Away' and Donna is still settling in if we're being charitable. I say this with love as a Donna fan. I don't know if there are any bad performances of GDTR but this certainly isn't one of them and it gives the end of the show a great boost. The crowd sound happy. Good job the concert ends there and the band definitely don't come out and do an encore.

The next stop is another quick University show in Denmark on the 16th, before we're back at Tivoli on the 17th for Night 2.

*It's their 'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da'. If there's one song I've sung to myself more than any other since we've started this, it's 'Tennessee Jed'. I don't know how to feel about this.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 14, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
At risk of sounding like that Pitchfork review of Kid A

My notes:

Mr Charlie- one of my favorite pigpem tunes. Good version

Deal good version of a good song

Cumberland - one of my first favorites. Spirited version. It's going to be more and more rare so it's nice to hear it while it's still around.

Casey Jones - going into hiatus and this version rips with a fantastic climax. High energy way to end the set. Another song they just quit playing for some reason. Probably because like Cumberland has so high Phil vocals that Phil can't sing after he blows his voice out.

Playing - song doesn't get perfected until 73 but this is a fine spacy 72 version that had a few trips into weirdness.

Trucking a version with such energy I wanted to open the emergency door on my plane flight and just bail. This is a song I'm sick of after 2 decades of listening but I loved it. And it's going to get even better.

Brown Eyed Woman - this version makes the album.

Dark Star - Jerry gets into a tripplet thing and the band bounces along in free fall, later bobby picks behind the nut for a while making this super spacy. Between 10 and 11 minutes the band handbrake turns from spacy to groovy to spacy again. Jerry rubs his string with his pick for a while and we get very spacy. Jerry brings the guitar riff in at 13 min but the band doesn't follow. Everything gets very atmospheric and Jerry is fading notes in with his volume control. I hadn't noticed but the drums have completely disappeared at this point. They return as the intensity builds. 16 minutes Jerry returns to the riff and the band is finally with him. 17 minutes in and finally "dark star crashes". From memory this isn't even an all time but it's a great version that explodes into Sugar Magnolia.

I love good loving and caution. No notes.

Not fade away - china cat tease - gdtrfb incredible they have the beans to gently caress around at this stage of the night.

One more Saturday night - gently caress it yeah alright.

Edit: Casey Jones still gets played through the 70s and Cumberland still gets a bit in the 80s but this is probably the peak for both songs.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 15, 2022

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Casey Jones is a song I love but one that gets pretty similar when they do it live. The only real standout for me is a later one where Jerry flubs the vocal and it leads to some great Keith playing. It was always popular, which is why they'd go back to it, but I never got the sense they enjoyed playing it all that much because there wasn't much to do with it.

One song I forget we won't hear much more of is Chinatown Shuffle. I think it debuts at the end of 71 and when Pigpen has to quit in about 6 weeks time that's the end of it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Casey Jones is a song I love but one that gets pretty similar when they do it live. The only real standout for me is a later one where Jerry flubs the vocal and it leads to some great Keith playing. It was always popular, which is why they'd go back to it, but I never got the sense they enjoyed playing it all that much because there wasn't much to do with it.

One song I forget we won't hear much more of is Chinatown Shuffle. I think it debuts at the end of 71 and when Pigpen has to quit in about 6 weeks time that's the end of it.

There's a great Dead and Co show where they speed up CJ to cocaine speeds at the end and it was a blast. I was in the crowd. I think it was the Fenway 2016 show, first night.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
So May '81 really smokes, huh. Really into these shows.

E: oh and March too

trem_two fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 16, 2022

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Aarhus University, Denmark, April 16th 1972

Aarhus had long entered into Europe '72 folklore. Prior to hearing it, the most notable thing about this show was where it took place. The Aarhus University cafeteria holds about 400, but that night 700 were crammed in sitting wherever they could, with some fans climbing up to the rafters. It's also about half an hour shorter than the last show so I wasn't expecting all that much from it, but this somewhat unique show was a blast. Maybe the compact nature of it did something to the band, but they feel more at ease here.

The first set is what we've come to expect by now. With solid versions of a few songs before 'Beat It On Down The Line'. This feels a little faster than the previous versions and we get some more fun with Keith up and down the piano (He feels more of a presence in the first set over the second). We head into 'China/Rider' and the crowd love the harmonies on 'Rider' as much as I do. The first set with a rare showing of 'Dire Wolf' instead of 'Casey Jones'; it's fine. They hadn't played DW for nearly a whole year by this point, and it shows up like 2 more times throughout the tour. It's a welcome change though.

Set 2 takes off with 'Good Lovin'. There's a similar Pigpen rap to what we've got on previous nights, but the band are going other places. It's probably the most experimental 'Good Lovin' we've had on this tour and gives the band an energy that flows through the rest of the set. Just listen to something like 'El Paso' here and how Jerry can't stop playing, or how Billy makes it sound like a shuffle. After 'Deal' it's 'Truckin' that serves the cornerstone for what comes next, with the song descending into a brooding jam and an unsure 'The Other One' before Bobby leads a willing band into 'Me And My Uncle', though Phil isn't ready to let go yet. Like the previous night that saw a reluctant Jerry join in 'Sugar Magnolia', Phil still plays around with 'The Other One' a little before he joins the rest. Then boys bring 'The Other One' back properly and go straight into 'Not Fade Away'-->'Goin' Down The Road'-->'Not Fade Away' for the ending and the crowd goes home happy. There's no encore this time, and somewhere Bobby weeps.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lately I’ve been thinking about how visionary it was that they recorded drat near every show and encouraged taping. Mr Charlie and Chinatown Shuffle are quickly becoming my favorite songs, and I know in a couple weeks they’ll pretty much be gone from their catalog. With other bands, even big prolific touring acts, if that happened, you’d say “Remember that one song they used to play, Charlie Told Me So or something like that? I remember that being good.” And that would be it. But because of their dedication to preserving all their work without even knowing how huge it would be, we’ve got it (hopefully) forever now. And there are still generations coming into them long after their most important years.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Tivoli, Copenhagen, April 17th 1972.

For their second night at Tivoli the camera crews were ready, which is perhaps why we get some weirdly truncated sets for this performance. I think unofficially the concert is split into 3 sets with the third set coming after the cameras turned off. We don't get the exploratory Dead we might have had in the other shows but there's still some good to be had here.

Its a night of firsts as we kick off with 'Cold Rain & Snow' which gets its first airing since the tour started. We get another solid 'Chinatown Shuffle' and at this point I don't think they're capable of putting out a bad China/Rider. Notable from this set is the debut of 'He's Gone'. There's probably some conventional wisdom about how your first performance of a song shouldn't be for a TV special, but the Dead certainly didn't heed it. To be fair, I guess it was somewhat low stakes for them, and the crowd likely didn't even realise. You wouldn't think it was new, given the Amsterdam performance is a definitive one and that's only a very short time away. There's not much of an ending here however, and Jerry sounds like he inadvertently veers into 'Tennessee Jed' briefly at the song's close.

The second set opens with a fine 'Casey Jones', another fun 'Mr. Charlie' and the best 'Sugaree' so far. The highlights came with 'Hurts Me Too' and 'Big Railroad Blues'. The former sees Pigpen on fine form with Jerry's yearning lead and its sadder knowing that the Lyceum show which ends this tour is the last time we'll hear the band do it. Even more significantly, it's the same story for 'Turn On Your Lovelight'. Talk about the end of an era. 'Big Railroad Blues' sees Jerry tearing through it and was featured on the much less famous Europe '72: Volume 2.

With the camera crew gone, it's the third set and we have another 'Dark Star' running some 31 minutes. Unbelievably, the later one in Rotterdam goes for 47 minutes so brace yourselves for that one. This doesn't hit the heights of the early ones for me and how you feel about this one might depend on how you are in general with the chaotic parts of the song. At 25 minutes in the boys get jazzy before collapsing into 'Sugar Magnolia' even though Jerry is clearly trying to carry it on into another jam. Phil is eager to get them into a fantastic 'Caution' that sees him and Jerry trading off. I guess this whole third set is the band letting loose after being relatively restrained for the cameras. Pigpen isn't quite there with them though and sounds tired now, even while he's spitting some filth.

Bobby has already used up his Saturday night quota so we get the tour's sole appearance of 'Johnny B. Goode'. It's fine enough, but they probably should have closed with the previous song. And that's it for a pretty drat successful run in Copenhagen.

You can watch the broadcast here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOKfWGfbpUo

The next stop is the totally optional TV appearance on Beat-Club which is more of a curiosity I suppose. It's just a first set with 'One More Saturday Night' thrown in the middle where they let the producers decide which songs to air. If you're thinking they couldn't possibly have chosen the worst song on the list then you don't know the Germans.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 17, 2022

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The 4/16 show was wild. The first set had me so uninterested I almost turned it off, but the second set is a ton of fun.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I really liked how loose everyone seemed on 4/16/72 - you can really hear it in the grooves and I bet they all seemed relaxed at the thought of playing a small room again rather than the large European concert halls. Nothing seemed on edge - even the more "molten" parts of the Playin or Truckin' jams. Psychedelic dissonance, but nothing too harsh if that makes any sense.

Is today (4/17/72) the first three set show we have? I seem to find conflicting information on that.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
The PITB jam on 4/16 was wild, nice preview for the 2nd set.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Pacing was odd for 4/17, definitely something with the TV crews. Third set almost feels like a reward or party favor to the audience for putting up with the production. Interesting that this Dark Star still has some melodic ideas rather than the full meltdown of 4/8/72

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Did the tv appearance that aired stop with "Truckin'" or did they broadcast the whole thing include that jammy "The Other One"?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Today's '72 show tv broadcast is available, lower fidelity audio than the official release but still fun to watch

https://vimeo.com/101359380

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hooly poo poo what a mess this show was.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

hatelull posted:

Did the tv appearance that aired stop with "Truckin'" or did they broadcast the whole thing include that jammy "The Other One"?

Apparently they only wanted like 2 songs or something and the band thought it was a waste that everything got set up for the sake of a 10 minute performance so they decided to run through a slew of songs with the intention that the producers could just pick what they wanted to air. They chose 'One More Saturday Night'.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hooly poo poo what a mess this show was.

My favorite part is your can hear Jerry say to Bob "Don't forget the second verse" before Truckin'

So of course he forgets the first verse

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Dusseldorf, West Germany, April 24th 1972.

We're approaching the midway point of the tour and the band are striding as confidently through Europe as they would through America. They leave behind the televised band practice of a few nights ago and open the show with an energetic 'Truckin' and we're pretty much off to the races from there. We get a fun 'Tennessee Jed' and a great 'Black-Throated Wind' early on. The latter sees nice accompaniment from Keith. It's no surprise to anyone who has heard this show before that Keith is one of the standouts, particularly later on in the show. An early highlight is this version of 'China'/'Rider'. We've heard them enough times through this tour, but the transition between the two here sees the band branching out a little more. You can hear the early genesis of where they would eventually go with it, and it's exciting to hear them work through it in real time. The highlight is arguably this version of 'Good Lovin' that breaks down at about the 7 minute mark and for the next few minutes is an interesting push and pull between the honkey blues rapping of Pigpen and the exploratory instincts of the band. It's one of the parts of the night where the band can't help it, they're just so eager to play.

The second set follows suit by opening with a fantastic 'Dark Star'. Melodic, spacey and then caught in its grasp is 'Me & My Uncle'. Cowboy psychedelia, vaguely threatening. 'Dark Star' takes over again, even if it only sounds familiar in the closing moments before it drifts off into another fantastic 'Wharf Rat', our first since the second night of the tour. We're blessed with another blistering 'Sugar Magnolia' with Bobby blowing out his voice and Jerry's fingers getting frantic. It feels like we're at the end but we're only part way through, so we get a decent 'He's Gone' where they still haven't worked out the intro, another great 'Hurts Me too' (And again, what a bummer that there's not many of these left). To close out, we get a tight set of 'Not Fade Away'-->'Going Down The Road Feeling Bad'-->'Not Fade Away'. It's shorter than usual, but the band pack those minutes and don't let up. Even Donna joins in.

Next time, we get our second German show with a stop over in Frankfurt.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Already know I'm gonna have to split this show up over multiple days

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
that 2nd set :piss:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I really enjoyed Dark Star>Me and My Uncle>Dark Star on this one.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I really enjoyed Dark Star>Me and My Uncle>Dark Star on this one.

For real! Does the "Dark Star" top out on this tour at any point? So far, everyone I've heard is better than the last one. That action is quickly becoming my favorite part of the Dead, just WTF jazzy chaos and slowly descends back to a groove.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

hatelull posted:

For real! Does the "Dark Star" top out on this tour at any point? So far, everyone I've heard is better than the last one. That action is quickly becoming my favorite part of the Dead, just WTF jazzy chaos and slowly descends back to a groove.

I do know that the May 7 show in Wigan has a killer Dark Star -> Drums -> The Other One. A lot of people do consider the April 24 as one of the best of this tour though, so you wouldn't be alone in thinking that one is tops.

They had so many incredible Dark Stars throughout the remainder of the year. The ones from August through October are frequently great: the Sept 21st on Dick's Picks 36 (that goes into Morning Dew), the one in Jersey City on Sept 27th, the PITB -> Drums -> Dark Star -> Morning Dew -> PITB reprise in St Louis on October 18, or the one from Veneta, woof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JukZBGgv8I

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I just finished the second set - holy loving CHRIST that may have been the best set of the tour so far

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Trip Report:

Jahrhundert Halle, Frankfurt, April 26th 1972.

Here's one of those shows that was good enough for its own release* and in September 95 it came out as 'Hundred Year Hall'. That's a literal translation of the venue, Jahrhunderthalle. To Robert Hunter's recollection the Dead seemed to go through something while in Germany.

quote:

That run from Hamburg to Munich in two buses. Castles along the Rhine. Black Forest at night where werewolves roam. Bombed out ruins of old Heidelberg University. U.S. - Brit. post-war retaliatory blitz of gemutlich Germany, ancient before ever those snot nosed killers transformed high romance to schmaltz and wrecked the language for poets for generations to come. Too many lies had been told in it, concepts of the heart and the very words to say them expropriated for purposes of rape. We had lies of our own to tell, but not hateful ones. Told them with music. Had come to save the world but, starting in Germany, began to realize worlds cannot be saved. All are tentative. So we learned to dance on graves and be glad. None recover, they are just replaced. In 1972 the German Nation was still in shock, only halfway between then and now. We had Vietnam. All were crazy. None were sane. Hausfrauen at dawn, trying to scrub their patches of sidewalk free of blame, look up to see busloads of the Dead with red rubber noses waving, laughing. Register nothing. Continue scrubbing. Siehst du de Toten? Only the children see.

The second of three nights in Germany saw the Dead in Frankfurt, some 3 hours away by bus. Maybe a bout of existentialism allowed them to feel freer in their playing, but they launch into an energetic 'Bertha' before 'Mr & My Uncle' and 'Mr. Charlie' introduce the audience to their singers this evening. It's pretty familiar but well played Set 1 stuff though I think the 'China'/'Rider' is another worthy addition to the cannon. Another highlight and maybe my personal favourite of the night is 'The Stranger (Two Souls In Communion)'. A Pigpen original, it first came in just a few weeks earlier on 03/21/72. Pigpen's failing health wasn't a mystery at this point and it hangs over the song as he watches people drift away from him, onto new parts of their lives, into relationships, while he knows he's going to be alone. At the close of the song he yearns for love "just one more time" and it's hard not to separate singer from song. The band only performed this 13 times, the last coming at the end of this tour, but it feels seasoned. People can often point to Jerry's solo on the Cornell version of 'Loser' as him expressing the inner life of that character, but he's just as adept here some five years before. After is the standard closer of 'Casey Jones' and this one is only notable because of the gusto they bring to it.

The second set opens with another great 'Good Lovin'. It's not as spacious as the previous performance was but it still hits some similar twists and turns in less time. The centrepiece is a strong 'Truckin'-->'Drums'-->'The Other One'-->'Comes A Time'-->'Sugar Magnolia'. Bobby informs the crowd that 'Truckin' is "numero uno in Turloch, California". Bobby also flubs some lines. After 'Drums' we get 'The Other One' and to be honest, this didn't do that much for me. It didn't help that I went out for a walk and it lasted the entirety of my walk. Sometimes, just sometimes, it feels like we're running up and down the scales waiting for something to happen. Others might feel differently, but I struggled with this. There's a lovely, delicate 'Comes A Time' before another great, leaping 'Sugar Magnolia'. Just when you think they might be done there's a rocking 'Turn On Your Lovelight' that is more or less standard for the time if not for some really fun Bob Weir playing. What's fascinating is towards the end as we hear the band trying to decide where to go next. Bob starts to play 'Caution' and then Phil joins him. Presumably, Pigpen didn't want to come out again (He often had to be dragged out as it was), so Jerry starts noodling around with the opening of 'Going Down The Road Feeling Bad', Bobby and Billy fight back with 'Not Fade Away' and it seems like they're going to play that one until Jerry eventually drags them back into high energy 'GDTRFB'. We simmer down with a lovely 'Bid You Goodnight' coda before, of course, 'One More Saturday Night'. It was a Wednesday by the way.

Next time it's the last stop in Germany before the band head to France.

*Bizarrely, it was chopped up with a good chunk of Set 1 missing. 'Lovelight', 'GDTRFB' and 'OMSN come at the end of disc one after being slot in after 'Playing In The Band'. And disc two solely comprises of the 'Truckin'/'The Other One'/'Comes A Time/'Sugar Magnolia' suite. Poor 'Two Souls' didn't even make it on the album, though it has been theorised it was because no one knew who had written it (given the butchery of that release I think they cut it because it was easy to). Eventually, sole credit was given to Pigpen.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Holy gently caress I thought the next show was 4/28 - good thing I checked the thread.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

edit: I thought this was the Phish thread lmao my bad

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kvlt! posted:

edit: I thought this was the Phish thread lmao my bad

The dead broke out a humpback whale drone in Paris so it kinda fits

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

Trip Report:

Jahrhundert Halle, Frankfurt, April 26th 1972.

Another highlight and maybe my personal favourite of the night is 'The Stranger (Two Souls In Communion)'. A Pigpen original, it first came in just a few weeks earlier on 03/21/72.

There's a lovely, delicate 'Comes A Time' before another great, leaping 'Sugar Magnolia'. Just when you think they might be done there's a rocking 'Turn On Your Lovelight' that is more or less standard for the time if not for some really fun Bob Weir playing.

Big time agree on these points. The Stranger is my highlight of this show, probably my favorite Pigpen vocal performance I've heard to date, and the guitar solo matches the emotions of the lyrics, great stuff. The Comes A Time is also a stunner and the wah-ed out solo on Sugar Magnolia is a good one. The Other One jam didn't really grab me like the Dark Star centerpiece from the previous show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I owned Hundred Year Hall so I am intimately familiar with this show but it was a pleasure revisting it. That Trucking/Other One was fire.

Also its got a perfect "Next Time You See Me" which started my deep love affair with that song.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This listen through has made me fall in love with “She’s Gone”.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Ungratek posted:

This listen through has made me fall in love with “She’s Gone”.

The Hall and Oates tune?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

The Hall and Oates tune?

It’s one of the best

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

BigFactory posted:

It’s one of the best

I mean, every H&O tune is one of their best, but that's besides the point