Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Pico have always had relatively fast iteration on hardware, usually with relatively minor changes between versions, so I can completely believe the Neo 4 might be out this year.

I've used a few; for the most part they're not premium headsets, but they do their job well and they're not as locked down as the Quest software-wise. If the games were there I'd absolutely consider getting a consumer one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They have some games from what I've seen, but Facebook's money (and owning a lot of the big VR studios) is going to be much better at locking up exclusives as far as standalone stuff goes. Mostly I want Pico to be there as a thing that can be recommended for people who want a good PC headset that isn't the Index and doesn't have the Quest's baggage. That they pack in a good length cable for that purpose is a sign to me that they know that's where their niche is.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i hate that i'll find any near future headset releases completely uninteresting unless it's at the very least on par with PSVR2 and preferably Cambria
...which is just unlikely. the facebook train has no brakes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, the Meta showcase will be on 04/20. Someone funnier than me should make a joke about drugs and VR.
The future livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPfI_azgDY

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh, the Meta showcase will be on 04/20. Someone funnier than me should make a joke about drugs and VR.
The future livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPfI_azgDY

The joke about being on drugs and doing VR is getting stoned and going "I am going to intentionally create a bad headspace"

I've had some fun playing beat Saber while high but playing a shooter where you turn around and suddenly see a zombie chomping on your shoulder is a real bad time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HL2 VR preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpwQREoh7Zc

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CuddleCryptid posted:

The joke about being on drugs and doing VR is getting stoned and going "I am going to intentionally create a bad headspace"

I've had some fun playing beat Saber while high but playing a shooter where you turn around and suddenly see a zombie chomping on your shoulder is a real bad time.

I started playing SURV1V3 last night and yeah, I can see that.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I had to stop playing Ultrawings for a few days because I was flying drunk, the only time I've ever got close to barfing during VR

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CuddleCryptid posted:

Depends on who you are. I love being scared. Getting stoned and playing Phasmophobia was like a religious experience for me.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I go into BigScreen's social like twice a week stoned to the bone with a cocktail and straw. There's a fun dude that streams retro games (everything from atari to dreamcast) and loves to talk and comment about the games. Usually about 5-6 people.

Then you have the weird ones like virtual church, or a bunch of morons trying to free style.

Tetris Effect is a perfect weed game. Thumper is not. It really makes me anxious and not have a good time. Sober? Love it, borderline art.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Give this to me. I need it in my life

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Give this to me. I need it in my life

Hell yeah. Inject Half-Life straight into my virtual veins

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

njsykora posted:

They have some games from what I've seen, but Facebook's money (and owning a lot of the big VR studios) is going to be much better at locking up exclusives as far as standalone stuff goes. Mostly I want Pico to be there as a thing that can be recommended for people who want a good PC headset that isn't the Index and doesn't have the Quest's baggage. That they pack in a good length cable for that purpose is a sign to me that they know that's where their niche is.

Rumor has it pico is pretty easy to get hardware to dev on. We're looking into it tbh. The markets a lot bigger than people realize.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lemming posted:

Motion controls rule and are the entire reason VR rules, most games just do a terrible job of trying to incorporate them by being half rear end. Basically every stick locomotion game falls into this trap.

I still maintain that Echo Arena is the best VR game and I still don't think it's particularly close

Reading your post before seeing your name I almost recommend Gorilla Tag to you lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

call me a skeptic but i don't see ANY new ecosystem being successful if it's not easily and readily available for other manufacturers to adopt without a catch. it's just going to be xkcd's one more standard comic.
if there's any hope of taking facebook down it has to be a collaborative effort

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lemming posted:

Motion controls rule and are the entire reason VR rules, most games just do a terrible job of trying to incorporate them by being half rear end. Basically every stick locomotion game falls into this trap.

I still maintain that Echo Arena is the best VR game and I still don't think it's particularly close

100%

Even armswinger in H3VR feels great for some reason, even though twinstick is objectively better.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm lukewarm on the idea of HL2 in VR. I was super disappointed in the Doom 3 VR mod. Not that it isn't a great mod, but the game itself is not designed for that kind of experience.

You never notice how barren games are when you're playing them on a TV or monitor. The corridors seem square and empty when you're looking at them from the inside. HL:A gets it right: interesting arena shapes and tons (just tons) of clutter.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm lukewarm on the idea of HL2 in VR. I was super disappointed in the Doom 3 VR mod. Not that it isn't a great mod, but the game itself is not designed for that kind of experience.

You never notice how barren games are when you're playing them on a TV or monitor. The corridors seem square and empty when you're looking at them from the inside. HL:A gets it right: interesting arena shapes and tons (just tons) of clutter.

I played the HL2VR mod back on the Rift DK1 with a Razer Hydra base station strapped to my chest, one controller attached to my head for positional tracking, and one controller in hand. Even with that ridiculous setup it was amazing and it was many years before I tried anything in VR that was even 20% as cool.

There's lots of cool environmental stuff to screw around with, good physics interactions, well acted and animated characters, a great story, vehicles, the gravity gun, and just amazing level design. It really feels so drat good in VR.

I loved Alyx but the game was so constrained in its design to make it comfortable for everyone that it lost a lot of the stuff I loved about playing HL2 in VR.

I am incredibly hyped to get to play it again with two hands this time. I have a feeling it will still be near the top of my list of favorite VR games.

Doom 3 was pretty neat to play around with in VR but the original game isn't all that great. Half Life 2 on the other hand... :discourse:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

marumaru posted:

call me a skeptic but i don't see ANY new ecosystem being successful if it's not easily and readily available for other manufacturers to adopt without a catch. it's just going to be xkcd's one more standard comic.
if there's any hope of taking facebook down it has to be a collaborative effort

The good news is basically all of these new standalone headsets are using the same SOC (Snapdragon XR2) and same base OS (Android) and in a lot of cases the same screen resolution and basic controller layout. So porting seems to be fairly simple and painless, obviously a single mobile VR marketplace would be the ideal scenario but I doubt that's going to happen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm surprised, because when I played Doom 3 in VR, I was shocked to feel like it's finally how it's meant to be played. Like, the slower encounters, meandering through environments and the interactive monitors finally made sense.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

njsykora posted:

The good news is basically all of these new standalone headsets are using the same SOC (Snapdragon XR2) and same base OS (Android) and in a lot of cases the same screen resolution and basic controller layout. So porting seems to be fairly simple and painless, obviously a single mobile VR marketplace would be the ideal scenario but I doubt that's going to happen.

wait, do they really all just run android? i thought that was just the quest for now
barring platform-specific APIs (which i'm guessing are going to be mostly on oculus games for the most part?) does that mean you can just dev the same game and compile it for different platforms?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

wait, do they really all just run android? i thought that was just the quest for now
barring platform-specific APIs (which i'm guessing are going to be mostly on oculus games for the most part?) does that mean you can just dev the same game and compile it for different platforms?

Most of the games that seem to be on the Pico Neo came from Quest, so I guess porting them is easy:

https://uploadvr.com/pico-neo-3-link-games/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Most of the games that seem to be on the Pico Neo came from Quest, so I guess porting them is easy:

oh that's pretty good

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Turin Turambar posted:

*NOT A DEV JUST WORKING WITH DEVS WARNING*

Yeah its just openxr ports or some poo poo is my understanding. Theres some work but I guess its not a huuuuuge deal.

*AGAIN NOT A DEV JUST MY UNDERSTANDING FROM THE DEVS IM CURRENTLY WORKING WITH*

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thoatse posted:

Reading your post before seeing your name I almost recommend Gorilla Tag to you lol

I'm glad at least my particular flavor of VR insanity is recognizeable

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hopefully the hl2 port supports the episodes as well

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Quest 2 comes tomorrow. What are some of the better meditation or mindfulness games/apps out right now? Or just calm walking around vibes based games/apps?

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Quest 2 comes tomorrow. What are some of the better meditation or mindfulness games/apps out right now? Or just calm walking around vibes based games/apps?

I haven't tried anything specifically meditation minded but my happy place chill games are anything that lets me swim around and chill out. theBlu on steam if you are doing pcvr. Subnautica is also super relaxing for me although there is the gameplay/survival aspect that might be stressful to others. I also find fishing games to be relaxing.

Depending on what you are looking for you might find more stuff on youtube. There is also this site: https://www.with.in/ that has some really cool vids/experiences and there is a free app in the oculus store and you can watch right on the headset. I recomend Sanctuaries of Silence and Evolution of Verse among others

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Thanks all, will sit on my Quest for now and hold out till mid year. Just wanted to chill with some E:D anyway. I''m normally pretty patient for tech advancements but between this and awful PC monitors i'm yellin at clouds

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://howtomarketagame.com/2022/04/18/what-genres-are-popular-on-steam-in-2022/

Steam genre popularity vs estimated earnings for 2019 to 2022 period.

VR games are apparently very popular among indie developers to make but nobody buys them (because they're usually bad).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I should make roguelike deckbuilder!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Remember to use a refer link for store credit. I will let someone else offer it, I already got one here a few weeks ago.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vaguely related to HL2 VR, something that occurred to me a while back: I've played most of the big VR shooters now, but so far none of them really managed to implement recoil of automatic weapons well. Nearly all of them go with the old shooter standard of having the gun climb up, and that just doesn't quite feel right. It works on flat games because there your control inputs are all relative to your current aimpoint and you can just pull them down to compensate. But with motion controls your input is absolute, and trying to compensate for recoil this way leads to you having to aim away from the thing you're trying to shoot, which just feels off. Really, the best/least distracting approach I've played so far was Payday 2, which just goes "lmao what's recoil?" and abstracts the whole thing just through bullet dispersion without touching your point of aim.

In fairness, there might just not be a good solution to this, at least not until controllers with force feedback or much more powerful vibrations happen.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We need the old school lightguns with a physical mechanism to cause recoil, which would honestly be :krad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/3507999942601704/

It’s not a meditation or mindfulness app, or even a walking simulator but it is chill as hell, and very relaxing to zone out in

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Walkabout Minigolf is always a very zenlike experience for me. It's honestly so easy in some of those maps to just forget about golf entirely and stand there staring into the distance listening to the birds squawking or the waves crashing. The Japanese garden course in particular is great for this.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Perestroika posted:

Vaguely related to HL2 VR, something that occurred to me a while back: I've played most of the big VR shooters now, but so far none of them really managed to implement recoil of automatic weapons well. Nearly all of them go with the old shooter standard of having the gun climb up, and that just doesn't quite feel right. It works on flat games because there your control inputs are all relative to your current aimpoint and you can just pull them down to compensate. But with motion controls your input is absolute, and trying to compensate for recoil this way leads to you having to aim away from the thing you're trying to shoot, which just feels off. Really, the best/least distracting approach I've played so far was Payday 2, which just goes "lmao what's recoil?" and abstracts the whole thing just through bullet dispersion without touching your point of aim.

In fairness, there might just not be a good solution to this, at least not until controllers with force feedback or much more powerful vibrations happen.

Lol if you aren't snapping your wrist back every time you pull the trigger on your controller like a six year old playing soldier with a branch he found on the ground. Come on put a little effort in

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A few companies are developing haptic shirts that simulate recoil and even pain. If they maintain their small form factor and become somewhat cheap, I'm going to get one so I can feel all of my failures, not just emotionally.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

explosivo posted:

Walkabout Minigolf is always a very zenlike experience for me. It's honestly so easy in some of those maps to just forget about golf entirely and stand there staring into the distance listening to the birds squawking or the waves crashing. The Japanese garden course in particular is great for this.

This. I don’t like golf, but I like walkabout minigolf to relax some evenings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I like this and am currently using it to relax a bit due to a medical thing I have going on:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3385318684883998/?locale=en_GB

I was lucky enough to take it to my tinnitus councilor and she gave it the thumbs up and has put it in her recommended list for other people to check out