Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Why would Gus want the cartel to find Nacho? Putting his location in the safe made no sense, the cartel would torture him for information and find out Gus was behind everything. It would have made more sense to just pick Nacho up and then kill him quietly.

Also, who is the guy tailing Saul and Kim at the end? Perhaps a PI hired by Hamlin who's figured things out? He instantly knew Saul was behind the hookers and bowling balls, so he could have worked out Saul was behind planting the coke. Especially as plenty of people saw Saul make a scene at the golf club. I hope we get to see the return of Steven Ogg as Mr X hired to tail Kim and Saul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nacho was given guns and clear instructions to use those guns on anyone who came looking. I'm also gonna guess that the "lookout" was also paid to ensure he'd catch a stray bullet if the Salamancas were exercizing unexpected restraint, but also it's possible the plan just wasn't that thought through, it's not like the actual Lalo assassination was a master's course in planning either.

E: I assumed the car at the end was Lalo, but yeah, Hamlin having a PI on a Goodman/Kettleman connection probably makes more sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm rewatching w/Bob and David on Netflix (and finally getting around to seeing Mr Show) and it's neat to see BCS people in there though I guess for fans already, it would've been the inverse, seeing them in BCS.

So far, there's Michael McKeen as, of all people, a law professor in Mr Show, Jay Johnston (cast of Mr Show and now an apparent Jan 6th participant) as Don Wachtell ("YYYYYYUP!") and Jessie Ennis, who plays Erin Brill.

Any more that I'm missing? I feel like David Cross or Paul F Thompkins could show up any minute.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know, but if you want to see more of the actor, watch the Shield. He's only in a few episodes, but his appearances span the last half of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2j7WG41gZ4

drat, Tyrus was that weird psycho guy that messed with Claudette's head? Goddamn, didn't recognize him at all. Was also surprised to see that the Kettleman woman was Herr Starr's underling from Preacher too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm rewatching w/Bob and David on Netflix (and finally getting around to seeing Mr Show) and it's neat to see BCS people in there though I guess for fans already, it would've been the inverse, seeing them in BCS.

So far, there's Michael McKeen as, of all people, a law professor in Mr Show, Jay Johnston (cast of Mr Show and now an apparent Jan 6th participant) as Don Wachtell ("YYYYYYUP!") and Jessie Ennis, who plays Erin Brill.

Any more that I'm missing? I feel like David Cross or Paul F Thompkins could show up any minute.

Jimmy finally pisses off the local Rabbi(David Cross) with his hasn't+the-jewish-people-suffered-enough shtick and has to suck up to a local businessman (Tompkins) to fund a new synagogue as redemption. Complications: Sarah Silverman.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

No, there was a ride. They mention how it's a pickup truck with hay in the back, which is exactly what Lalo tries to board before he kills the people running it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

VagueRant posted:

Really thought Tyrus pulling a gun on Mike for refusing an order was VERY melodramatic and I didn't really care for it. Killing a civilian who refused to kill a civilian (because let's be honest, Nacho's dad ain't coming out of it alive) with all the questions and trails that would leave seems very stupid and un-Gus.

it was a bit. and the resolution of the perfectly conveniently timed phone call was a grand eye-roll moment

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think the coyotes Lalo killed had anything to do with Nacho. Mainly because Nacho was instructed to jump in the back while it passed by which he couldn't have done with the hay truck.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

yeah...theres more than one truck smuggling people in and out of mexico.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

though imagine if nacho and lalo did end up on the same ride back...talk about awkward LOL

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If the dentist is on your payroll, you have the random mook's dental records filed as if he's Lalo the entire time. Everyone around the Salamanca's are on their payroll, including the doctors and police.

I get that, and in this universe that isn't remotely far fetched, but again if they did that then they don't need to bother with physically getting another guy dental work so that his teeth matched Lalo's. The writers could have gone either way but it sure sounds like they chose the latter.

Data Graham posted:

A lot of the time I feel like I'm just too stupid to follow this show.

I do appreciate how subtle the writers are willing to be, most other productions would spell out every detail a la Dexter which usually comes off as condescending at best. Stuff like Lalo casually asking about the guy's teeth, or Saul screaming at the Kettleman's that as soon as they mention his name to another attorney he gets a cut, thus guaranteeing they will never mention his name JUST AS PLANNED.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

the guy at the very least needed to have teeth in his mouth. he very well may have been missing most of them before lalo helped. the specifics of how closely they matched isn't like, a huge deal

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

the guy at the very least needed to have teeth in his mouth. he very well may have been missing most of them before lalo helped. the specifics of how closely they matched isn't like, a huge deal

Yeah, I think Lalo just wanted the teeth to be close enough to fool an untrained observer, and then the actual forensics could be handled by dental records manipulation.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Kuiperdolin posted:

Two years! That's on me for trusting the thread title.

Yeah we're due for a new one. I did like your idea tho... MODS?!?!

Better Call Saul Final Season: "You think you've lost everything? You have no idea."

Ballz posted:

Yeah the thing I’m struggling with in all this is Mike playing along with any of this given he clearly wants Nacho to make it out alive. He had to know what was in the envelope he was leaving behind in the safe would tip everyone off to Nacho’s location.

Mike very clearly hesitates and seems reluctant to put the envelope with the motel info in the safe. He knows Gus is trying to get him killed and is going along with it, but doesn't like it, to the point of standing right up to Gus when he tries to bring in the father for :airquote: questioning.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He slipped of and referred to De Guzman as Lalo just before that scene, he's definitely still rattled.

Odds that this comes back to bite him HARD? 100%

ram dass in hell posted:

kim was living in chez Goodman during all of the events of Breaking Bad and was brutally murdered by Todd during Walt and Saul's vacuum shop extraction. right?

Or it's just something Saul kept as a memento. It pretty heavily implies to me that whatever happened she isn't around anymore.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah we're due for a new one. I did like your idea tho... MODS?!?!

Better Call Saul Final Season: "You think you've lost everything? You have no idea."

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: I assumed the car at the end was Lalo, but yeah, Hamlin having a PI on a Goodman/Kettleman connection probably makes more sense.

Lalo drove south, he's going to find 'proof' about Gus and seems to think it's somewhere in Mexico.

Shitenshi posted:

drat, Tyrus was that weird psycho guy that messed with Claudette's head? Goddamn, didn't recognize him at all. Was also surprised to see that the Kettleman woman was Herr Starr's underling from Preacher too.

Huh, I didn't watch that far into Preacher but I've read the comics, and yeah dye her hair blonde and that is a pretty good fit:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Why would Gus want the cartel to find Nacho? Putting his location in the safe made no sense, the cartel would torture him for information and find out Gus was behind everything. It would have made more sense to just pick Nacho up and then kill him quietly.

I think in the shows logistics Gus' reach does not go that far into Mexico. He can pay a random mook like the lookout, but Mikes plan to cross the border to pick up Nacho is portrayed like it would be a Risky Operation, albeit possible.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Nacho was given guns and clear instructions to use those guns on anyone who came looking. I'm also gonna guess that the "lookout" was also paid to ensure he'd catch a stray bullet if the Salamancas were exercizing unexpected restraint, but also it's possible the plan just wasn't that thought through, it's not like the actual Lalo assassination was a master's course in planning either.

I figured the tail was prob law enforcement. they didn't seem very interested in waiting for the preliminary hearing to figure out where Deguizmon/Lalo was and Saul is their only lead

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

God Hole posted:

I figured the tail was prob law enforcement. they didn't seem very interested in waiting for the preliminary hearing to figure out where Deguizmon/Lalo was and Saul is their only lead

Worst Digimon ever.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

massive spider posted:

I think in the shows logistics Gus' reach does not go that far into Mexico. He can pay a random mook like the lookout, but Mikes plan to cross the border to pick up Nacho is portrayed like it would be a Risky Operation, albeit possible.

I mean, Gus literally just paid a group of armed mercs to take out Lalo in his stronghold. I don't see how he could not organise something similar for Nacho who is less prepared.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I mean, Gus literally just paid a group of armed mercs to take out Lalo in his stronghold. I don't see how he could not organise something similar for Nacho who is less prepared.

Thats kinda different though cause thats a big op, like presumably he has as much time as he needs to recruit these sicaros, vet them, pay them what they require, give them the layout and get them where theyre supposed to be. It would be expensive and time consuming to get a team of (non-cartel affiliated, in a place where almost everyone is cartel owned) hitmen but its worth it to take down a Don.

"This guy is in a motel in bumfuck nowhere get there RIGHT NOW and kill him and do it before Salamanca men arrive- do not get seen, captured or take any casualties because that raises further questions." Thats the kind of thing you could do if you had a team on standby close to location, but across the border in cartel territory maybe not.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Shitenshi posted:

Was also surprised to see that the Kettleman woman was Herr Starr's underling from Preacher too.
Yeah and Cliff's secretary plays an amazingly horrible person in Mythic Quest. It's a bit eye rolling at first but she quickly becomes one of the best characters in that show.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I hadn't heard Tyrus' voice in so drat long I had no idea who Nacho was speaking with at first either. :shrug:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Ah gently caress. Time to go into blackout mode.

See you in 18 months, thread!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Things I remember from previous seasons:
- Lalo jumping out of a ceiling.
- Lalo jumping off a cliff onto an upturned car.

Things I don't remember from previous seasons:
- Why Jimmy has a bag of cash.
- What Sandpiper is (the old folks home scandal?) and why Jimmy and Kim want to...expedite it by dragging Howard's name through the mud.
- What the stopper(?) in the intro is actually from (I know it's a Kim reference, and I think I remember her taking it from her office when she quit the big firm?)
- What Gus threatened Nacho with.
- Any wounds Lalo sustained killing all the hitmen.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

VagueRant posted:

Lalo's paid him the bag of cash for getting him out on bail after he got arrested for jumping out of the ceiling and killing a dude.

VagueRant posted:

- What Sandpiper is (the old folks home scandal?) and why Jimmy and Kim want to...expedite it by dragging Howard's name through the mud.

Yes, and because Jimmy gets a cut of the final settlement as a finder's fee for bringing it to HHM in the first place. Also spite, because Howard kind of sucks.

VagueRant posted:

- What the stopper(?) in the intro is actually from (I know it's a Kim reference, and I think I remember her taking it from her office when she quit the big firm?)

It's the stopper for a bottle of Zafiro Añejo, a fancy expensive tequila. It's a memento of the first scheme Kim and Jimmy ran together, when they spent an afternoon loving with the WINNER guy and drank a whole bottle of it and left him with the bill. Also it's the tequila Gus is going to use to poison Don Eladio and his guys in Breaking Bad.

VagueRant posted:

Gus threatened to murder Nacho's father, a mechanic who has never been involved in any cartel poo poo. The latter bit is why Mike draws the line there even though he grudgingly goes along with Gus' orders to kill Nacho or WER-NER ZIEG-LER. E: Yes, also Gus found out that Nacho was the one who schemed for Hector to stroke out, he originally threatened to tell the Salamancas about this and later upgraded to putting a gun to his father's head.

VagueRant posted:

Iunno, looks like one in the arm and one in the leg?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 19, 2022

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Ah gently caress. Time to go into blackout mode.

See you in 18 months, thread!

Theres only a couple month break in-between the half seasons, final episode ever is August 15, 2022.

VagueRant posted:

From Memory:
-Bag of cash is for collecting 7mil for Lalo from across border for his bail.
-Sandpiper is the old folks home, once the case is settled Jimmy gets a percentage a finders fee which I think ended up something like 2 mil.
-The stopper is from the top of the expensive tequila Kim and Jimmy scammed Ken (bluetooth dickhead) into paying for.
- Gus knows that Nacho tried to kill Hector and saw him switching his pills.
- Don't think Lalo was particularly injured.

E: drat too slow!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jimmy also bought a bottle of the Zafiro Anejo to celebrate when he thought the Sandpiper case would be settled (and then Kim had to leave and couldn't drink it, then she crashed), and they finally get to drink it when Chuck dies. it's been a cool recurring item

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VagueRant posted:

- Lalo jumping out of a ceiling.
- Lalo jumping off a cliff onto an upturned car.

I just did a rewatch of seasons 1-4 before I watched S5 and, like you, needed it since I have to wait for Netflix but if you have a sub, the first 5 seasons are up there.

Annabel Pee posted:

Theres only a couple month break in-between the half seasons, final episode ever is August 15, 2022.

I don't have AMC or a way to watch it until it lands on Netflix.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ah thanks for the answers. I do remember the 7mil, but not that Jimmy got a cut. And vaguely remember them scamming the douche guy!

But isn't Hamlin representing the Sandpiper victims? Why would him being discredited help win the case, or end it quicker?

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Having a cartel dentist change the records of some rando to come back as Lalo if any authorities inquire about a body makes infinitely more sense than a dentist putting in false teeth to match somebody else. So much so that I can’t believe anybody is considering it being the latter.

Also I’m fairly certain that Tyrus tells Nacho that a vegetable truck will drive by and that will be his escape. Either way, it definitely had nothing to do with Lalo’s near-crossing.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Ah thanks for the answers. I do remember the 7mil, but not that Jimmy got a cut. And vaguely remember them scamming the douche guy!

But isn't Hamlin representing the Sandpiper victims? Why would him being discredited help win the case, or end it quicker?

the firm has been struggling since all the stuff with Chuck tanked their reputation, Howard has been working to slowly rebuild it but as of Jimmy's/Howard's meeting in s5, it's only just now back on the upswing and able to grow again. if they got hit with a big scandal and lost their leader, they would be looking at a lot of negative financial consequences. they would want to wrap up the Sandpiper case quick to get the money to help offset any losses from the reputational hit/loss of Howard

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sandpiper is even more important really:

Jimmy got started on it when he found old folks were being hosed over.
He worked on it with Chuck, and for a while Chuck actually treated him like a) his brother and b)a goddamn real lawyer.
When the case grew too big, Chuck and Jimmy took it to HHM - Chuck then shafted him and leaned on Howard to not give him a job. Kim clashed with Howard over this. Jimmy still gets a big chunk of the class-action payout if/when it happens.
Jimmy tried to lean on one of the elderly plaintiffs to get her to agree to the settlement (because he was unemployed and needed money) and his manipulative shenanigans ruined her relationship with her friends. In order to fix that up Jimmy arranged for them to "accidentally" hear him gloating about playing them - fixing the plaintiffs relationship with each other, but utterly torching his reputation in elder law.

Jimmy and Kim want to gently caress over Howard partly for his role in helping Chuck attempt to ruin Jimmy with the lawsuit, and partly because Howard tried to make amends for the way he treated them (and his part in Chuck's suicide, as he feels like his handling of Chuck's retirement contributed to it) by offering Jimmy a job - which Jimmy and Kim both interpret as him being a condescending prick.

They're goal isn't to gently caress the case - it's to gently caress Howard. They think that if they ruin Howard then Davis & Main (the other law firm involved, and who Jimmy briefly worked for) will ditch him and take the settlement offered by Sandpiper. This means Jimmy and Kim's payout (estimated $2million between em) will come a lot earlier as there won't be a years long legal battle. And they justified the morality to themselves in that fighting the case just results in more money going to the lawyers, not the plaintiffs. And also that the plaintiffs might just die before the case gets resolved. But as we see in the start of this season, Kimmy is way more keen on this than Jimmy is. And her being really excited about it was the big "oh gently caress no" cliffhanger from last season.

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The questions were answered by the time I finished my post, but I'd just like to add that Kim's growing disgust with corporate law and desire to do good also acts as motivation for the scam. Then there's their passion for scams in general and the whole mess with how it ties into their relationship. That's probably a big factor, beneath their justifications.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

With all that in mind, this show sure does illustrate one thing: that a person's life isn't a "story" so much as an impossibly intricate kaleidoscope of little decisions and seemingly insignificant events all fitting together and affecting each other over the course of years.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
But clearly the real drama is whether or not we'll get another sick Lalo jump this season.

(For real appreciate the reponses!)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Data Graham posted:

With all that in mind, this show sure does illustrate one thing: that a person's life isn't a "story" so much as an impossibly intricate kaleidoscope of little things all fitting together and affecting each other over the course of years.

Oh yeah, I love how Kim's attitude to scams is constantly changing and completely arbitrary. She's vaguely got this idea of "scamming assholes is fine, don't scam nice people" but it's not exactly coherent. Just like most people's morality. (this is why everyone hates moral philosophy professors)

I also really like how there isn't one key event that makes her give up corporate law. Just a slow grinding build-up until she just can't do it anymore and quits without ceremony. Heck, even her break with Howard isn't a big climactic argument - he genuinely expresses concern that Jimmy is mentally ill/unsettled/in pain and she just throws it back in his face.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also I may be reading too much into a literal second of television, but I think Kim's "you gave them the cash, didn't you?" is gonna come back in some way. Like she obviously has no sympathy for the Kettlemans and didn't think they deserved anything, but I think she also respects that Jimmy has a sense of conscience towards his victims regardless of who they are, and I don't think he picked up on the latter and felt she was judging him when she really wasn't

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh yeah, I love how Kim's attitude to scams is constantly changing and completely arbitrary. She's vaguely got this idea of "scamming assholes is fine, don't scam nice people" but it's not exactly coherent. Just like most people's morality. (this is why everyone hates moral philosophy professors)

I also really like how there isn't one key event that makes her give up corporate law. Just a slow grinding build-up until she just can't do it anymore and quits without ceremony. Heck, even her break with Howard isn't a big climactic argument - he genuinely expresses concern that Jimmy is mentally ill/unsettled/in pain and she just throws it back in his face.

I think Kim likes the rush and it's kind of obvious. Shown by the couple of times she has a live one on the hook at the bar and all that. She has more integrity than Jimmy does, of course, but it's not as if she's written to be Above It All either or some patron saint of virtue and altruism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

jimmy and kim's relationship seemed pretty analogous to the betsy and craig's during the whole scheme