Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wrong Theory posted:

My (AR owning) friends, have you heard of the Mantis Blackbeard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5tUSu6nJB0

It's a way to get some trigger time without using ammo. It doesn't use your bolt carrier group and it's electric so no Co2 like some other systems. It even resets the trigger. A friend of mine got it and he likes it, I want to get one later this year.

I am so glad this became a thing. I have an FDM 3D printer but SLA would be so much nicer for minis. How is the smell? Isn't it toxic? That was my main concern.

It's not, like, heavy metal or spicy rocks "toxic". Uncured, liquid resin is a sensitizing agent. Get enough exposure to it and you will develop an allergic reaction. What the value of "enough" is for you, is something only you and your individual immune system can say.

That being said, I still take full precautions when dealing with it. Eye splashes are bad mojo, and the curing reaction can be noticeably exothermic. So my set up is a long sleeve shirt, a "spit guard" face shield, and nitrile gloves to cover myself if I get stupid.

Yes it does smell funky. Some brands are worse, some are better, none of them are fresh daisies. I have an enclosure that looks like rear end, but was almost free. 2x2s nailed in to a box with leftover foil backed foam insulation rescued from the trash and gorilla glued in place for an air tight seal, then a removable plexiglass sheet on the front with an air gap at the bottom. Similarly rescued dryer vent hose at the top of the box leading in to an Amazon-special ten dollar inline fan that vents out a closed window.

Keep kids and pets away from the liquid for safety reasons, run the fan while doing anything with it, and get a resin vat that has a silicon lid while not doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

They can be a real pain in the rear end to maintain but a 3D printer should be considered a must have for homeowners imo

I mainly just print functional stuff but I’ve been able to repair plastic bits that are sometimes impossible to buy

yup! I 3D printing functional replacements for legacy Audi parts and also make molds for them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

It's been on the books in SC for over 70 years already, we just need the selective enforcement to pick up.

A lot of states have similar statutes that were suspended due to emergency but as soon as all the Diet Trump governors start calling the emergencies over they'll come back in force.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hey, current event, not guns and nerd poo poo gadget recommendations. Take that to the dad thread or something.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Hey, current event, not guns and nerd poo poo gadget recommendations. Take that to the dad thread or something.

I currently have a 3d printer so :P

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

Come join us in the 3d printing thread. Decent resin printer set up is a few hundred to start, then you can print entire armies for less than a fancy dinner.

Edit: Tyranids only want you for your body.

Of note if you have small kids, 3D printing may not be a good idea for safety reasons. I looked into it and with some good input from the 3D thread that it wasn’t the best idea. Even making legos since my son still loves to chew on them.

That said 3D print tanks and guards 24/7.

Edit: I’m dumb and missed the next post by you where you list all the stuff I was going on about, but far more detailed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tiny Timbs posted:

They can be a real pain in the rear end to maintain but a 3D printer should be considered a must have for homeowners imo

I mainly just print functional stuff but I’ve been able to repair plastic bits that are sometimes impossible to buy

I feel like it'd be a godsend for undercutting the gouging bullshit that companies charge for "little knob" or "crisper drawer for fridge".

120 bucks my rear end

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Come join us in the 3d printing thread. Decent resin printer set up is a few hundred to start, then you can print entire armies for less than a fancy dinner.

Edit: Tyranids only want you for your body.

Can you link me to the thread or tell me what subforum it’s in? I ask because I want to get into 3D printing. Gonna have a kid in 2023 and I want to make interesting things for/with them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Can you link me to the thread or tell me what subforum it’s in? I ask because I want to get into 3D printing. Gonna have a kid in 2023 and I want to make interesting things for/with them.

General 3D printing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815

Maybe there’s another one in TG. IDK; I don’t play with minis.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Platystemon posted:

General 3D printing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815

Maybe there’s another one in TG. IDK; I don’t play with minis.

Thanks, brother. I appreciate you!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

apnews posted:

Biden launches $6B effort to save distressed nuclear plants

https://apnews.com/article/climate-business-environment-nuclear-power-us-department-of-energy-2cf1e633fd4d5b1d5c56bb9ffbb2a50a

loving good, now build more

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao the newest nuclear plant in the US took 43 years from groundbreaking to power generation, there's no way we'll see more nuclear here in our lifetimes.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I wish we went all in on nuclear like the French did. It seems to be working out well for them.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

maybe they can loving move all the waste to yucca mountain already now that reid is gone

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I wish we went all in on nuclear like the French did. It seems to be working out well for them.

It feels strange to say but it’s working out really well here in Illinois. We get more than half our electricity from nuke plants.

We do still have a bunch of coal plants but they are being phased out for more renewables.

Renewables share also happens to be higher than natural gas’ as a side bonus of all the nuclear base power.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida is gonna strip Disney of its special district today and massively increase the tax burden on all the property owners and sales tax consumers in Osceola and Orange counties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida is gonna strip Disney of its special district today and massively increase the tax burden on all the property owners and sales tax consumers in Osceola and Orange counties.

Uhhh I am immediately distrustful of any move by the government of Florida, but this seems good?

Only downside I can think of is no Reedy Creek nuclear power station.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Desantis and the FL legislature are only doing it because Disney supports gays but I also loathe the idea of a corporation being granted its own fiefdom so I hope they all go down together

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Uhhh I am immediately distrustful of any move by the government of Florida, but this seems good?

Only downside I can think of is no Reedy Creek nuclear power station.

Raising taxes on people out of anti-LGBTQ spite doesn’t seem like a good thing, even if it fucks Disney.

E: I’m also conflicted because it’s Florida but I’m gonna have to say it’s overall not a good thing.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 20, 2022

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Doesn't this also gently caress over The Villages?
I wonder what Disney's next move will be?

Edit: I thought I read a thing yesterday saying that Orange County runs negative 10 million dollars and Disney makes that up for them, but this might end up putting the screws to the county in the short term.

The old saying is "cut off the nose to spite the face" right? Cuz that's sure what this seems like.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 20, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Taxes in Florida are going to skyrocket and everyone who votes in Florida will blame Biden lol

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

boop the snoot posted:

Taxes in Florida are going to skyrocket and everyone who votes in Florida will blame Biden lol
It's exactly this. Because America's hog voters are dumb as gently caress.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

bengy81 posted:

Doesn't this also gently caress over The Villages?
I wonder what Disney's next move will be?

Edit: I thought I read a thing yesterday saying that Orange County runs negative 10 million dollars and Disney makes that up for them, but this might end up putting the screws to the county in the short term.

The old saying is "cut off the nose to spite the face" right? Cuz that's sure what this seems like.

The legislation is being written in such a way to only affect special districts created prior to the founding of the Villages.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

In the past I would say no person is dumb enough to blame the federal gov for state taxes...

I have found that it is difficult to underestimate how the American public will react.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ASAPI posted:

In the past I would say no person is dumb enough to blame the federal gov for state taxes...

I have found that it is difficult to underestimate how the American public will react.

Something like a third of Louisiana Republicans blamed Obama for the handling of the Katrina response.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LongDarkNight posted:

The legislation is being written in such a way to only affect special districts created prior to the founding of the Villages.

This. The Disney area is a remarkably blue area politically, whatever you might think of the Mouse as a company.

It's specific, targeted loving over of a major blue area in Florida.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

lmao the newest nuclear plant in the US took 43 years from groundbreaking to power generation, there's no way we'll see more nuclear here in our lifetimes.

We likely will. SMRs are huge right now, and if Votgle's lessons are carried forward, we can likely speed up.

Its not that we can't do it, we can.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cythereal posted:

This. The Disney area is a remarkably blue area politically, whatever you might think of the Mouse as a company.

It's specific, targeted loving over of a major blue area in Florida.

And as a microcosm of the US its success pays for the lifestyles of all the surrounding red areas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’ll note that Disney’s special district doesn’t exempt them from paying property taxes, so all of this extra responsibility on the counties happens without any increase in revenue. That’s why there’s such a big bill waiting on Orange and Osceola property owners and residents.

I’ll note that both counties are typically democratic party leaning, so this may not even hurt him republicans at the poll.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
To retaliate, Disney just has to delay every anticipated piece of IP they planned to release and tell the people of the world to ask Ron DeSantis why they did. Vociferously, and often.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Why bother, they can just dump some pocket change into a pac and get him primaried next cycle.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
De Santos is a clear risk to Disney’s bottom line, it is their fiduciary duty to shareholders to have him removed from office.

Dude is toast.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MRC48B posted:

Why bother, they can just dump some pocket change into a pac and get him primaried next cycle.

“Big gay Disney is coming after us” is a great chud campaign message.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FrozenVent posted:

De Santos is a clear risk to Disney’s bottom line, it is their fiduciary duty to shareholders to have him removed from office.

Dude is toast.

Maybe. Their response so far was to pull all funding regardless of party affiliation.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Disney lost.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To retaliate, Disney just has to delay every anticipated piece of IP they planned to release and tell the people of the world to ask Ron DeSantis why they did. Vociferously, and often.

Also enforce rights on their Punisher poo poo, sue every police department with a skull on a squad car.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also enforce rights on their Punisher poo poo, sue every police department with a skull on a squad car.

Apparently the problem was they never registered a trademark for it and the loving lovely gun ones all use a non Marvel variation iirc.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

“Big gay Disney is coming after us” is a great chud campaign message.

I will fly in the face of Mr. Dril and, in fact, hand it to him. This is the perfect stepping stone to victory for his presidential campaign. It's bigoted and hateful enough to deflect Trump's attacks and rally the chuds to his unfurling fascist banner.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I will fly in the face of Mr. Dril and, in fact, hand it to him. This is the perfect stepping stone to victory for his presidential campaign. It's bigoted and hateful enough to deflect Trump's attacks and rally the chuds to his unfurling fascist banner.

If DeSantis winning means the end of marvel movies, I probably still wouldn't support him, but I would very much have to think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Disney can probably buy out the entire Florida Republican Party via PACs/whatevers funding primaries if they want.

“If they want” is actually a good question here though. The development district and such is from a time when Walt wanted to create futuristic communities and such which meant cities with city governments. Disney World isn’t really that anymore and if Disney can just force the county governments to pay for county stuff instead of having their own thing…