Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

We inherited a Dyson vacuum and despite being horrid & plasticky the stupid thing is a decade+ old and refuses to die. My brain cannot allow me to spend £ on 'just' a QOL improvement so I'm gonna be lugging this piece of crap around until it breaks irreperably.

vacuum cleaners generally work fine for 30-50 years regardless of brand. just install (and replace occasionally) some filters and use Good Bags and Shitsuck 5000 from 1984 is as good as anything you can buy today.

LIFE HACK: if your vacuum cleaner sucks by not sucking, it's about 100% certain the problem is the lovely terrible bags you're buying.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

check the bag every so often and empty/replace it instead of using it until it's solid as a brick and then wondering why the motor burnt out

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

old ones works better than new ones due to eu regulations, don't they? there were no limits before on how much wattage there could be, now there's a ceiling that everyone must adhere to

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tankakern posted:

old ones works better than new ones due to eu regulations, don't they? there were no limits before on how much wattage there could be, now there's a ceiling that everyone must adhere to

eh, how stubborn is you're dust anyway? new ones work just fine.

e: maybe the old ones sucked harder but they were also pulling the air through literal paper. you can still buy paper bags for newer models too but only a complete imbecile would do so for obvious reasons. (also when they fill up they don't clog the thing, they burst and THEN clog the thing).

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

old ones work better because they were built up to a standard rather than down to a price. vacuums weren't cheap, but it was expected they would last 20/30/40/50 years. now (~2000+) they are all cheap plastic poo poo that stops working the first time it accidentally gets knocked over.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

does anyone still use carpet sweepers that are like a non-vacuum manual vacuum cleaner

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MononcQc posted:

does anyone still use carpet sweepers that are like a non-vacuum manual vacuum cleaner

yes

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

No why would anyone want to use a simple low tech solution when they can buy more gadgets?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sweevo posted:

old ones work better because they were built up to a standard rather than down to a price. vacuums weren't cheap, but it was expected they would last 20/30/40/50 years. now (~2000+) they are all cheap plastic poo poo that stops working the first time it accidentally gets knocked over.

i have a miele C3 canister vacuum that i bought 8 years ago and it’s working great and i expect it to work great for another 20+ years, uses bags and has a HEPA filter.

just don’t by a $80 bagless or whatever, buy a nice vacuum.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 19, 2022

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

mystes posted:

No why would anyone want to use a simple low tech solution when they can buy more gadgets?

the one my parents had in the 90s was just a loving sad affair that worked less effectively than a broom on a non-carpeted floor and also worse than a vacuum on a carpet. I don't know if they got better since then though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MononcQc posted:

the one my parents had in the 90s was just a loving sad affair that worked less effectively than a broom on a non-carpeted floor and also worse than a vacuum on a carpet. I don't know if they got better since then though.

nah they'll always suck. but you shouldn't vacuum or beat a lot of hand-made rugs.

e: actually, come to think of it, iäm not sure you should use a sweeper either so gently caress if i know vOv

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i have a miele C3 canister vacuum that i bought 8 years ago and it’s working great and i expect it to work great for another 20+ years, uses bags and has a HEPA filter.

i bought a $50 bagless and it's fine

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

all the cheap(er) vacuum cleaners i've "experienced"* have had the same problem: they'll get you evicted because they're really fuken loud. but an expensive bagless philips was also fuken loud so idk

*) no not in that way you pervert

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

carry on then posted:

i bought a $50 bagless

hookers have names you know

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

I've been eyeing those, but in the mean time my old bagless is trucking fine. if its gotta be bagless at least get one with several filters; they help immensely over the plain spinning canister design cheaper ones use

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

MononcQc posted:

we have one of those lil non-powered push sweepers in my team's area at work, and it's surprisingly effective at getting up little stuff, and idk it's kind of satisfying to use. we end up with a cascading effect anytime someone uses it, where then everyone else wants to use it too.

would absolutely not use it for real vacuuming needs, but for office type low pile carpet and misc crumbs, it's fine.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

3D Megadoodoo posted:

all the cheap(er) vacuum cleaners i've "experienced"* have had the same problem: they'll get you evicted because they're really fuken loud. but an expensive bagless philips was also fuken loud so idk

*) no not in that way you pervert

just vacuum at a reasonable hour instead of 4am and this is less of a problem

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

sb hermit posted:

I remember putting a battery into it to try out the tamagotchi aspect of sonic adventure and realized very quickly that it was a waste of time. I still don't know anyone that actually enjoyed raising chao.

I did, but I'm also the kind of person who got super sucked into Viva Pinata multiple times.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sb hermit posted:

Never forget that the little beep you hear on a dreamcast controller is not for letting you know that the VMU is turning on.

It's to tell you that the VMU has no batteries.

Also, the VMU was a gimmick that never had quite enough traction to be seriously useful besides things like selecting plays in football in secret.

I remember putting a battery into it to try out the tamagotchi aspect of sonic adventure and realized very quickly that it was a waste of time. I still don't know anyone that actually enjoyed raising chao.

I recall the batteries in those things not lasting long at all, and it was basically worthless so they were never replaced. I'd also love to know how the designer of the dreamcast controller decided that the cord should come out of the bottom of it, instead of the top like every other controller in existence

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

we have this one too and its pretty good. recommended yosvac imo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

idk how sega does it but their 3d games felt really solid and the controls felt super responsive

like daytona, crazy taxi, sega rally, virtua fighter just had really great game UX. dreamcast was a really nice console.

I've never really been able to get over sony making the dual analog and then the dual shock by just janking two sticks on the bottom of the original PS1 controller, instead of an xbox/switch style layout with an analog in the normal left-thumb position. because of that simple stupid thing I've found playstations generally annoying as a concept since the ps2 and pine for an alternate reality where sega won and sony focused on making nice audio equipment instead

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I inherited my mum's fancy Electrolux or Rosenlew or whatever, and it's real quiet but she'd broken the normal head (the one where you can retract the brush) and it costs like 80€ so I'm just vacuuming everything with a brush head.

Anyway it came with some scented balls you're supposed to put in the bag for IDK reasons? and they're great if you want your home to smell like dusty parma violets

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Gentle Autist posted:

idk how sega does it but their 3d games felt really solid and the controls felt super responsive

like daytona, crazy taxi, sega rally, virtua fighter just had really great game UX. dreamcast was a really nice console.

I've never really been able to get over sony making the dual analog and then the dual shock by just janking two sticks on the bottom of the original PS1 controller, instead of an xbox/switch style layout with an analog in the normal left-thumb position. because of that simple stupid thing I've found playstations generally annoying as a concept since the ps2 and pine for an alternate reality where sega won and sony focused on making nice audio equipment instead

if you can handle switching where the a button is on nintendo's controllers vs everywhere else, you can handle the analog stick being in a slightly different location

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
First jumping to the alternate universe where I told everybody on the playground that my uncle worked at Sega.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

my grandparents installed a central vacuum system in their vacation house and i love how funky it is. there are outlets throughout the place you plug the hose of the attachment into, which connects to a central vacuum tank in the garage. it's unnecessarily complicated and extremely ineffective

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

unnecessarily complicated and extremely ineffective
translate this into latin and it could be the yospos motto

google translate posted:

yospos: superflue turpis et maxime inefficax
there we go

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

my grandparents installed a central vacuum system in their vacation house and i love how funky it is. there are outlets throughout the place you plug the hose of the attachment into, which connects to a central vacuum tank in the garage. it's unnecessarily complicated and extremely ineffective

i remember when i was a kid there was a massive advertisement campaign to push central vacuums, like every time you turned on the TV it was "kaikki pois kaikki pois pölyt putkia pitkin pois" (very catchy, isn't it) but literally no-one got one.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

FMguru posted:

yospos: superflue turpis et maxime inefficax

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FMguru posted:

superflue turpis et maxime inefficax

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

my childhood home had one of those. I lost so many hot wheels cars down that god drat vacuum tube

vacuuming was like dragging a fuckin fire hose around the house

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive seen high end RVs with a tiny house vacuum setup just like those, and it's actually kinda smart

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I got to use one of those when I was doing contracted cleaning at a medical parts manufacturer in their clean rooms! it worked really well but yeah it was like hauling around a firehose but I wasn’t allowed to break poo poo that got in my way :(

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FMguru posted:

translate this into latin and it could be the yospos motto

there we go
having never taken a latin class the reverse translate makes turpis as “dishonest” rather than “complicated” maybe “complexus” works better?

anyway, stealing this as my twitter bio:

superflue complexus et maxime inefficax

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 20, 2022

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Tankakern posted:

we got a miele one that sounds like it uses some kind of inverter on the motor so it is plenty powerful and still pretty efficient too

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
only person i know with a central vacuum also has a full set of air tools in their garage and an 3 foot diameter industrial extractor fan in the attic that can cycle all air in the house in a few minutes with the doors open. central vacuums are for that kind of person. it’s a valid choice that works well but it’s not really the easiest way to do simple jobs.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the Honda Odyssey has an option for a trunk mounted vacuum cleaner and that owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my parents have a central vacuum in their house and its great. the sucker hole layout allows you to reach everything so it works well. they also have a big whole house fan and it too is great. a few years ago my dad added on a wood shop to their garage. he had a heat exchanger built into the exhaust system to maximize heating efficiency when using the exhaust in the winter. he doesnt have a set of air tools yet.

i do have a buddy who works on cars that has a whole set of air tools and a big central compressor in his garage with overhead lines and stuff and oh man is that nice

Wild EEPROM posted:

the Honda Odyssey has an option for a trunk mounted vacuum cleaner and that owns

i remember seeing the ad for that when they first started doing it and thinking "thats so brilliant and obvious, how was this not already in every minivan?"

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

my parents' house had this when i was a kid and the only times anyone ever interacted with it were when i wanted to feed it dust bunnies out of my hand like a horse

to this day i still don't know where it sent everything

mystes
May 31, 2006

Music Theory posted:

my parents' house had this when i was a kid and the only times anyone ever interacted with it were when i wanted to feed it dust bunnies out of my hand like a horse

to this day i still don't know where it sent everything
To the mini black hole in the basement obviously. They work great unless you feed them to much and they swallow the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mystes posted:

To the mini black hole in the basement obviously. They work great unless you feed them to much and they swallow the planet.

Yeah, it's actually pretty important that you do not attach the hose from one port to another port :ohdear: