Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chris Knight posted:

probably less that than they didn't want a visible port to contaminate the flawless surface

probably. sounds like a good reason to make gen 3 with the ipad contacts on it

GenJoe posted:

why would you let this happen? it tells you weeks in advance that you should charge it

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
it's a perfect example of a stupid lovely design that exists for no reason. it's a special trap designed so people who are dumb and idiots will tell on themselves. it's great

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

"just be unable to use a mouse for awhile what's the problem"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

GenJoe posted:

why would you let this happen? it tells you weeks in advance that you should charge it

forget it joe, it's apple thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you're charging it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
on the subject, my macbook air has decided that it's always plugged in when running windows in bootcamp. no idea how or why, it just shows "plugged in" and a decreasing battery percentage when running off the battery for the last few days. kinda fucks with power management, but if i cared about battery life i wouldn't be using windows, i guess.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lady Radia posted:

it's a perfect example of a stupid lovely design that exists for no reason. it's a special trap designed so people who are dumb and idiots will tell on themselves. it's great

yeah thats the one thing apple is good for. they're amazingly consumer hostile and its hilarious to watch people buy their stuff.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

wrong fucko. i love my apple stebe edition (2.0 or whatever) and my m1 maxbook pro

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i'm fine with the studio display. feel like i could've done better with some more research and work in the end. ah well

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
did you pay the extra $400 to get a working stand on your $1600 monitor?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i have no idea why apple has now and forever been just incapable of making a decent mouse, but here we are.

plenty of other great hardware, just not mice. :shrug:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

"just be unable to use a mouse for awhile what's the problem"

yes exactly. computers loving suck lol at thinking you can't walk away for a few mins

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

infernal machines posted:

on the subject, my macbook air has decided that it's always plugged in when running windows in bootcamp. no idea how or why, it just shows "plugged in" and a decreasing battery percentage when running off the battery for the last few days. kinda fucks with power management, but if i cared about battery life i wouldn't be using windows, i guess.

you can run macOS on macs, maybe try that instead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

i have no idea why apple has now and forever been just incapable of making a decent mouse, but here we are.

some gigantic moron at apple litterrally thought that more than 1 mouse button was bad design. then rather than admit they were totally wrong and make a working mouse, steve jobs went whiney baby mode and approved a bunch of spite designs where they in theory support multiple buttons but have so many other flaws as to make the users hate them.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
*jony ives excretes another turd mouse*
jobs: "see! multiple buttons is bad! i cant believe this is what you wanted!"

you know the more i think about it the more i think jobs kept ives around because he knew ives's designs were bad and jobs just hated apple users.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Shaggar posted:

did you pay the extra $400 to get a working stand on your $1600 monitor?

the normal stand is FINE >=(

Gentle Autist posted:

yes exactly. computers loving suck lol at thinking you can't walk away for a few mins

ah, yeah, that makes sense. well, thank you very much for your time...

wait, ah. just.. one more thing.

GenJoe posted:

i charge my mouse like, 3 or 4 times a year lol. i guess if you have the organizational skills of a 3 year old child and can't plug it in for a few hours on that timescale then yeah it's not the mouse for you
i thought it took a few hours? a few minutes seems like a gross underexaggeration, and if you're at your and your mouse dies and you don't have a random special snowflake charger, well, that seems like it would be a problem.

you know, unless..

GenJoe posted:

you know. that's probably it, that's probably all this is.. i should get out of your hair.
i mean, it's not like multiple much more ergonomic mice are cheaper and let you use them while charging, right? take care.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
how the hell do you manage to use a phone if you can't keep a mouse charged?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i use my phone while it's charging sometimes. not really often cause i plug it in a lot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just put a AAA in there tim

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i personally don't charge my phone while i'm sleeping because i don't have a charger cable that's long enough for me to use my phone in bed

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EVERY NIGHT I GO TO BED AND OPEN PALM SLAM MY IPHONE ONTO A CHARGER. ITS MAGSAFE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START SNOOZING ALONGSIDE MY BEDMATE, MY WIFE. I DO EVERY SNOOZE AND I DO EVERY SNOOZE HARD. MAKIN SNORING SOUNDS WHEN I DREAM ABOUT SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I ROLL OVER ONTO MY BACK. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY SLEPT IN THE GALAXY’S MOST COMFORTABLE BED. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OFFICE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY OFFICE CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE CHARGED ALL THE CELLS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY PHONE LESS DEAD BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY NIGHT. THEN I SLEEP

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
there it is

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Stringent posted:

i personally don't charge my phone while i'm sleeping because i don't have a charger cable that's long enough for me to use my phone in bed

hey it's good to practice sleep hygiene :)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Lady Radia posted:

hey it's good to practice sleep hygiene :)

tryna catch me sleepin dirty

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lady Radia posted:

i thought it took a few hours? a few minutes seems like a gross underexaggeration
a few minutes to get it to a usable state, not 100%, then you'll plug it in overnight. have to agree that despite the user hostile design the charging is the least of its problems, goddamn thing is unusable even if you assume an infinite battery. lol that every app has to recognize it and implement a scrolling deadzone on its own, otherwise it'll keep receiving random microscrolls even when the mouse is just sitting on your desk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

rotor posted:

rotor posted:

just put a AAA in there tim

the kicker is microsoft has a mouse that meets all the apple mouse criteria while being easier to maintain and use:

i have the previous iteration as a work bag mouse and it takes two AAAs that last ages (and load the same direction, which looks nice?), a magnetic battery door so there's no finicky latch to break, and a substantively solid metal wheel

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
ms does make a good mouse

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
they make good hardware generally imo

i’ve liked every keyboard mouse and webcam etc i’ve had from them

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

GenJoe posted:

this isn't true at all lol can you people please loving use the mouse for like one second before going on diatribes about it

i literally have a magic mouse sitting on my desk and i can't right-click with it without lifting my left finger

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i have now moved the magic mouse back to the drawer of tech junk so thanks for the reminder to clean up my desk though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

it takes two AAAs that last ages (and load the same direction, which looks nice?)

yeah it's kinda neat that they can do that now. it's because the electronics are all so low-voltage and boost converters are now so good that most things can run on under 1.5v, so you can just put the batteries in parallel for extra runtime instead of having to line them up in series to make enough voltage for older circuit technologies. the mouse will probably work fine with just one battery installed, too.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Stringent posted:

ms does make a good mouse

agreed. I had a ms ergo thing back in 2008 or so, some roundy ball-shaped thing and it was great. Literally orders of magnitude better than any mouse Apple has ever made.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i installed steermouse and its pretty good. pretty epic i need to pay for some hosed up software to get decent functionality out of a basic peripheral. also it stil sucks poo poo compared to winders mousing. hosed up.

is there a way to get middle click scroll thinger like windows has? i used to use a chrome plugin that made this work on linux but now im on safari and w/e. idk. not the end of the world but...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
another cool thing is that i needed to pay for this app called "PDF EXpert" which is alright but feels like scam software to get close to the functionality of Edge lol. edge somehow turned into an epic pdf marker-uper thing. so hosed up. sooooo hosed up. even had dark mode w/ a weird plugin.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
heres the thing with apple computer: whats plugins, extensions, and weird oss / freeware on windows and linux is WORSE paid "apps" on macOS. WOW. insanely hosed. THANKS TIM. i guess this is why YOSPOS is full of figmen tho.. many sides i guess.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

i have never needed to do any sort of pdf editing that preview didn't have covered

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
okay so say you really gently caress up, and it's the middle of the day and you've been ignoring the 'mouse battery low' popup on that's been showing on your computer for the past two weeks, and then your mouse finally dies. literally all you have to do is plug it in and get a cup of coffee lol. just walk away lol. and then when you're back it's good for the rest of the day (and probably the next day too, tbh) and you can just plug it in when you leave. this isn't hard lol. if you're such an incredible fuckup that you literally never plan ahead, then this will happen to you at most, three or four times a year

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

i have never needed to do any sort of pdf editing that preview didn't have covered

i need

1) dark mode

2) easy to change highlight colors

3) sticky notes on it

4) draw poo poo on it

additions i got for spending $90 or whatever the gently caress on this peice of poo poo per year:

5) tabs

6) syncs across devices

7) iOS cross compat and sync

wow.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
more like dork mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stringent posted:

more like dork mode

you wanna read some whole loving books on a 32" monitor on BRIGHT MODE? thought not.