Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
used to know a HR professional at intel who’d go into acquired companies to explain that the party was over and they’d be adopting intel policies. sounded fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

tk posted:

If the mothership doesn’t like wfh at all I feel like a 3 day wfh is pretty decent.

The problem is when everyone can pick when they're in office and when they're home on an individual basis, and your role requires a lot of meetings and face time (because why else are you in the office?), you end up on the phone/Zoom all day anyway since half your team is at home while you're in the office and vice versa, to say nothing of other stakeholders. So why commute just to sit on Zoom?

There are two management plays. Commercial real estate math demands offices be a lot more than 40% full to be remotely worth the investment, so an employer may liquidate RE holdings accordingly, which is sensible for management but for employees means basically being treated like a consultant in your own firm since every resource has to be shared - hoteling, communal everything etc. Any company pursuing this route will rapidly overhaul their offices to the cheapest, most "efficient" designs straight out of the Silicon Valley TV show and other parodies, since saving money on RE is the name of the game.

The second management play is to hang on all that RE and boil the WFH frog slowly by beginning with seemingly generous 1 day mandatory in-office policies, with plenty of reassurance that this is the new normal etc. Then slowly every few months they'll crank up the mandatory days in office until within 18 months you're right back to full time in-office and needing approval for the occasional WFH day.

This :effort:post brought to you by 9 years fulltime WFH for over a dozen clients. There are things about the office I miss but none remotely so much that I would consider going back - everyone's different of course and hopefully after 2+ years of somewhat enforced WFH, everyone has learned what you prefer.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

tk posted:

If the mothership doesn’t like wfh at all I feel like a 3 day wfh is pretty decent.

i get what you mean and i have been thinking this too, but:

any wfh will be tied to performance reviews - your results suffer and back to the office you go

since covid is “over”, wfh will be a special perk. i am assuming this will translate to less raises since if you are allowed wfh you already get a qol increase

covid is not over, i dont want to be a guinea pig rear end in a seat, and i find it beyond the pale that management is going through with this now. the office may be vaccinated but many people take the metro to get to work

also this whole thing is organized really weird. we have a new hr person leading the charge, he does not take questions in meetings. and now just as there was going to be a qa session, the hr email address stopped receiving mail. whatever they are doing, they sure want to make an impression of laying down the fist hard

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Most orgs aren’t doing that due to fears of destroying their teams and being unable to replace anyone, if a company wants to gently caress around they’re going to find out

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
did a coding assignment, forgot to get a promise of feedback beforehand, got brushed off.

Always make an employer commit to give rejection feedback as a precondition of a coding assignment. That doesn't mean they'll do it, but at least if they don't you can call them out.

I'm not in a position to refuse coding assignments in general, good for you if you are.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Job hunt has been pretty fun so far. Interviewing while you already have a job really takes the sting out of the current job and boosts your confidence in interviews.

I should have been doing this sooner!

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

did a coding assignment, forgot to get a promise of feedback beforehand

This is a really really good idea that I wish I had been doing.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Job hunt has been pretty fun so far. Interviewing while you already have a job really takes the sting out of the current job and boosts your confidence in interviews.

I should have been doing this sooner!

yeah! its nice to have a regular reminder that <current job> is just one of many possible jobs and not particularly worth getting upset about

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I really liked the feeling of having companies give me job offers and say they were valid for x months if I changed my mind. It makes the current job so much more pleasant when you know if it gets crappy you have lots of other options in your back pocket.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

2/3 interviews done. First one was with hiring manager and went well. Second one was with a random dev and seemed to go ok?

Last one is a coding exercise which should be easy.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

It could have gone better! That's what i get for selecting python. Felt like i explained what I was trying to do and setting up the process he wanted me to set up so, guess ill see monday!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

This is a really really good idea that I wish I had been doing.

holy poo poo that username

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don’t doxx me

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

yeah! its nice to have a regular reminder that <current job> is just one of many possible jobs and not particularly worth getting upset about

also the gut check / validation of “Yep, it’s time to get out of here, on to the next thing”

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now that I'm hitting the final stage at a few places I'm like, wait is this place going to be bad because they're willing to have me? :kingsley:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Now that I'm hitting the final stage at a few places I'm like, wait is this place going to be bad because they're willing to have me? :kingsley:

this is my current train of thought :cheerdoge:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Yes, but you're going to have hard time accepting a position at a place that won't hire you.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i refuse to work at a place that would hire me *waggles eyebrows, waves cigar around, dies of starvation and exposure*

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

i refuse to work at a place that would hire me *waggles eyebrows, waves cigar around, dies of starvation and exposure*

lol

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

this is my current train of thought :cheerdoge:

Hahaha, it's all in our heads / I just had one phone screen that is an obvious garbage fire so some companies are still below us!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
times are getting tough, my company is advertising its internal mobility platform to existing employees on linkedin lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have never seen this level of desperation before

found from this tweet

https://twitter.com/obesechess/status/1514701877899788289?s=21&t=E7iCcj2_lTFRxBdFsKX_xg

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I did not play the video but I can hear the ukulele and glockenspiel through the thumbnail

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

found from this tweet

https://twitter.com/obesechess/status/1514701877899788289?s=21&t=E7iCcj2_lTFRxBdFsKX_xg

glassdoor:
Cons
"Keen is a floundering company lacking direction and is essentially a cult of personality" (in 10 reviews)

hmm, your “we are not a cult” video doesn’t seem to be inspiring confidence

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

found from this tweet

"i didn't want to work for the man so i decided to work here"

oh neat. so you guys are a coop or a-

quote:

We’re a family-owned,

lmao

qirex posted:

I did not play the video but I can hear the ukulele and glockenspiel through the thumbnail

surprisingly there's no ukelele and glockenspiel. if you click you won't be at all surprised though

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 15, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they can't even muster "we're great" just ok

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
at last my long national nightmare is over

my boss never got back to me on the coding gig, and a recruiter reached out to me about an interesting opportunity with a major consulting firm and i jumped on it. decent cash raise, bonus, and big overall total comp bump, doing some work with people who have a lot of mutual contacts as me. I think the team will be a good fit (i'm the first hire other than the bossman on a team of 5) and im finally out of my lovely company in two weeks. delivered my notice today, have a nice 1.5 week buffer before i start new job so I get to spend a lot of time with my kid, and i'm pretty stoked.

negotiated a bit higher than they were offering too, the advice from this and that other thread works!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

grats. this thread gave me the confidence i needed to not say a number first. signed the papers and gave notice but they are gonna call my references still? to make sure i dont torture small animals or something?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

grats. this thread gave me the confidence i needed to not say a number first. signed the papers and gave notice but they are gonna call my references still? to make sure i dont torture small animals or something?

Might for the file or process formality. Current job asked me for two references after i had signed the contract

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I haven’t even provided references in a long time, let alone know of a company that actually calls. I’ve heard it’s a minefield of potential litigation (supposedly)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"calling references" seems to have been replaced by "background check"

just verifying that the stuff you claimed on your resume (job titles, degrees earned, certifications, places worked) and making sure there are no other red flags (multiple dui convictions, open warrants, etc), usually hiring a third party to do it

most companies/managers wont even give good references, they just confirm the black-letter facts of your employment (if they give a glowing reference to person X and a just-the-facts confirmation to person Y, then person Y can claim that was a de facto negative reference and arguably sue for damages - so it is blanket just-the-facts references for everyone)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
it isn’t illegal to give a negative reference

but low stakes employment lawsuits are heavily in favor of the deft settling

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I got this message

"I reviewed your application for our Python Developer job and am impressed with your background.
Are you ready to work on our w2?
May i know your visa status? [I'm a U.S. citizen]
May i know your present location?
May i know your main technology and complete experience in it?
May i know what is your present pay rate expectations?"

This would be my first programming job. What should I say regarding pay rate expectations?

edit: For the next-to-last one, I'm replying

"My main technology is Django. I haven't worked with it professionally, but I worked on a practice project for about one and a half years called Meowseum, and I wrote down a lot of information learned through experience that wasn't in the documentation. For example, when using multiple Forms together in the same view, you have to use if all([main_form.is_valid(), secondary_form.is_valid()]): instead of "and" to prevent short-circuiting from preventing the .is_valid() function call."

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 21, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont give a number use your words

"competitive"

visa status is "can work in country or not" only, legally, in the united states. i just say im a citizen because i have an ostentatiously foreign name and i can lord the citizenship thing over. doesn't work so well if you're like opt or h1b

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 21, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Since you asked so politely, no."

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

definitely read a bit of the negotiation thread in BFC but something like "I'm looking for a competitive, market-appropriate rate" is good enough for now, and if they press, you can say something like "I'm open to negotiation when we get to an offer." You don't want to name a number that they will then negotiate you down from; you want them to name a number that you will negotiate them up from.

e: and also you want to wait until they have already decided they want you and are offering before you discuss compensation at all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
seconding reading the negotiation thread in bfc

another dodge when they ask for a number is to talk total compensation (not just salary but pto, benefits, bonus, equity, 401k match, and etc) - say youre focused on total comp, and thats a conversation we can have once we have determined whether i am a good fit for the position and the company or not

(ie kick that can into the future as far as possible - the longer you wait before talking money the better off you will be)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the usual counterthing to this one the recruiters do is 'i gotta put in a number on this form' then you just say to em 'put in 0 and we move on we'll talk later'

or the other thing is just brute force 'we really need this number we gotta have this number'. maybe vague threats. they say that then just stick to your guns. big trick for introverts is to figure out someone to be defending (you got dependents or some poo poo or someone you take care of then this gets easier) then its easier to negotiate as defending them

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 21, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i've had great success in not ever giving a number and just asking about the budget for the position when a recruiter is trying to solicit a number, and then saying yes/no if it is workable

they have a legitimate reason to be asking (not wasting everyone's time if the budget doesn't match at all) but they dont need the number they just need to know if you're up for the range they were told

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Corla Plankun posted:

i've had great success in not ever giving a number and just asking about the budget for the position when a recruiter is trying to solicit a number, and then saying yes/no if it is workable

they have a legitimate reason to be asking (not wasting everyone's time if the budget doesn't match at all) but they dont need the number they just need to know if you're up for the range they were told