Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just noticed this thread. gently caress yeah, Jerusalem. Now I have a reason to watch this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's the greatest TV shows of all time not named Better Call Saul, you've always had a reason to watch it

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Gaius Marius posted:

It's the greatest TV shows of all time not named Better Call Saul, you've always had a reason to watch it

The Wire and The Sopranos are my top two - two shows where Jerusalem did phenomenal episode-by-episode analyses. You're right I've had ample reason to watch it, but this is the catalyst that will finally get me to stop putting it off.

You gonna make a thread for We Own This City, Jerusalem?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I believe somebody in the Wire thread was talking about making one? I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Do you still plan to do your Deadwood rewatch thread? :shobon:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't care what anyone says, my favorite Jon Hamm him playing himself in the Greatest Event in Television History.

Too bad that he died from getting progressively colder and colder.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sash! posted:

I don't care what anyone says, my favorite Jon Hamm him playing himself in the Greatest Event in Television History.

Confused by this when sergio exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNno63ZO2Lw

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I was waiting two weeks for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTIbDfTFyCE

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

I believe somebody in the Wire thread was talking about making one? I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Do you still plan to do your Deadwood rewatch thread? :shobon:

I lost access to HBO, but maybe when I get it again for We Own This City, I will. But hey, I'm gonna need some help on those recaps ;)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

how on earth have I never seen this

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It sucks that Bob is pretty much done now because James Wolk went and joined that bad Robin Williams/Sarah Michelle Gellar sitcom. I mean, good for him because I hope he made bank on several CBS shows. But sucks for us, the viewing public.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
"She loved the sea" is one of my favorite Pete lines. The other being one in season 7.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is a work of art :stwoon:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

kalel posted:

What a climax. Jon Hamm is such an underrated actor. he has an unexpected amount of range in his other roles too!

Either he's an rear end in a top hat to work with or he needs to fire his agent

in a bit of life imitates art or the other way around he has acknowledged serious issues with alcoholism which almost certainly impacted his long-term relationship, but also he only really got one chance to carry a movie and it was a very weak script. since then it's been supporting parts which isn't fair to his talent, but that's how it goes sometimes

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

JethroMcB posted:

Just the speed with which they go from utter contempt to "Well...what are you going to do?"

It smacks of always sunny, in the best way possible

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

KellHound posted:

"She loved the sea" is one of my favorite Pete lines. The other being one in season 7.

"That is a sensitive piece of horseflesh. He shouldn't be rattled!"

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
RIP Robert Morse

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh that's sad, but I legit had no idea he was THAT old. I know he was the elder statesman ad man for a show that came out nearly a decade and a half ago but even so I had no idea he was 90. That's a good run.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Annabel Pee posted:

RIP Robert Morse

Aww man :smith:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Annabel Pee posted:

RIP Robert Morse

gently caress

glad I got to see him on Broadway at least once. rest in peace

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

a reminder to us all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbibEDKQT_I

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there's a very high likelihood of that clip showing up in Jerusalem's social media feeds today, hopefully he doesn't get spoiled on it because it really needs to be seen in context

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

RIP

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

"That is a sensitive piece of horseflesh. He shouldn't be rattled!"

Nah, it's THE KING ORDERED IT!

But man Pete gets some great lines.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

KellHound posted:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KellHound posted:

But man Pete gets some great lines.

I'm certain that wasn't the first time he'd had that argument

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KellHound posted:

Absolutely one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen on TV

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

in a bit of life imitates art or the other way around he has acknowledged serious issues with alcoholism which almost certainly impacted his long-term relationship, but also he only really got one chance to carry a movie and it was a very weak script. since then it's been supporting parts which isn't fair to his talent, but that's how it goes sometimes

He also seems to love anything comedic and does exceptionally well there.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

He is one of the finest comedic actors of our generation trapped in the handsome body of a leading man. Tragic really

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Been waiting for this episode. Because of multiple reasons, but among them this one:

It's a real :discourse: moment for the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, that closing scene from episode 1 jumped to my mind as well. Even though they're from very different backgrounds it is interesting seeing those parallels between Don and Pete. Particularly in I think it was season 4 where you see Don has become or is at least becoming the kind of guy he warned Pete he was on the path to becoming: a sad old guy with no family who women go home with because they feel sorry for him.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Trudys dress there rules. She looks like a Christmas present

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Trudys dress there rules. She looks like a Christmas present

Everything about Trudy rules.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Trudy rules.

I've said this before but Pete is my favorite Mad Men character and I think Trudy is his perfect match. Yes, Trudy out classes him in a lot of ways. But like they are both kinda awful and superficial that mesh well together. Like the cheating wasn't the final straw, it was the public embarrassment. When they work together they put on a great show that feels more comfortable than Don and Betty ever did. I'm thinking of when they danced at the country club or how they act together at parties. And while most of it is Trudy, it is also Pete. Like when talking to Abe and Peggy at Don's b-day, politics start to come up and Pete immediately realizes Abe and Trudy will not agree so he gets Trudy out of there (so Abe can go argue with Burt rather than Trudy). (also, this is unrelated, but I think it's funny that the show never SAYS it, but Trudy is clearly a better cook than Betty based on what we see served at the Campbell's vs the Drapers).

Anyway, I always found Pete's destructive tendency more interesting than Don's. Maybe because since it doesn't involve alcoholism and that means he has less shields to blame his behavior on, or maybe it's because he has moments like in the hospital with his neighbor's wife that make him ALMOST have a revelation. He's weird mix of cynical and naive. Like he has his line after getting punched by Lane about how they are all supposed to be friends at work but is cynical (or maybe just paranoid) enough to pick up on Cutler's blame to cut the old partners out.

Another good Pete line next season is CLIENTS WANT TO LIVE TED.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While it probably wasn't the healthiest thing to do, I think my favourite Pete and Trudy bit is how quickly they get on the same page and just refuse to leave the apartment after the Kennedy assassination, watching the news coverage and basically bolstering/reinforcing each other's ideas about how appalling other people's reactions to it are.

You can see an element of longing for that closeness when he calls her up after the MLK assassination and tries to convince her to let him come around to look out for her and Tammy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I love the Tammy-in-bed moment because it puts such a bittersweet bow on Pete's arc to this point. His love/hate relationship with Don was clearly built on jealousy, that Don is an instantly charismatic and confident alpha male whose accomplishments come easy by nature, while Pete pisses and moans like a child because the things he wants always seem to evade him. His perspective is obviously false - he manages to get just about everything he wants - yet, as he says in "Signal 30," he "has nothing." Feels like the world has denied him while the Dons or the Kennys or the Handsomes of the world take all the spoils, some real Incel kind of poo poo.

Some people found this moment too blatant when it aired, like a kind of sledgehammer: "you wanted to be Don Draper? Here you go, rear end in a top hat!" But I love it because I can't help but read Pete's awareness into the moment as it happens. Not only did he get his wish in a monkey's paw sense, he seems to realize immediately how hollow it is. His need to feel powerful and desirable has estranged him from his wife and alienated him from his daughter. He *had* something, but now he doesn't.

It sets up some interesting stuff for S7, where Pete - a man whose entire purpose was to acquire what he wants - has to actually reconcile with what might make him happy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sash! posted:

I had never heard of this and just watched it. It's.... magnificent :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX1kCun566k

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i've never seen season 7 so this is exciting :D

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Season 7 is I dunno. Like somehow I know it's not the best but it's my favorite to watch.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Xealot posted:

I love the Tammy-in-bed moment because it puts such a bittersweet bow on Pete's arc to this point. His love/hate relationship with Don was clearly built on jealousy, that Don is an instantly charismatic and confident alpha male whose accomplishments come easy by nature, while Pete pisses and moans like a child because the things he wants always seem to evade him. His perspective is obviously false - he manages to get just about everything he wants - yet, as he says in "Signal 30," he "has nothing." Feels like the world has denied him while the Dons or the Kennys or the Handsomes of the world take all the spoils, some real Incel kind of poo poo.

Some people found this moment too blatant when it aired, like a kind of sledgehammer: "you wanted to be Don Draper? Here you go, rear end in a top hat!" But I love it because I can't help but read Pete's awareness into the moment as it happens. Not only did he get his wish in a monkey's paw sense, he seems to realize immediately how hollow it is. His need to feel powerful and desirable has estranged him from his wife and alienated him from his daughter. He *had* something, but now he doesn't.

It sets up some interesting stuff for S7, where Pete - a man whose entire purpose was to acquire what he wants - has to actually reconcile with what might make him happy.

I think it's also good that this end to the monkey paw situation is in the same episode that Don is loses his position as creative director. Pete might not have been at the meeting where they told Don he is out, but I'm pretty sure that eventuality was discussed in the conference room when Cutler, Joan, Cooper, and Pete were left to sit there unhappily. Those 4 are half the agency and they would only need to convince Roger or Ted (not both) to have the majority vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

algebra testes posted:

Season 7 is I dunno. Like somehow I know it's not the best but it's my favorite to watch.

It would have been better as 1 real season instead of AMC getting cheap and stretching it out over 2 years, like Breaking Bad.