Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hahahaha

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
can an image be a thread title, asking for a friend

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
also ideally you want to ask about the budget before agreeing to a phonecall to maximize your gains

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

getting the vibe I have no headroom to progress at my current place and I’d like to lock down a fully remote job so get ready for a lot of complaining

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

qirex posted:

getting the vibe I have no headroom to progress at my current place and I’d like to lock down a fully remote job so get ready for a lot of complaining

complaining makes real progress happen so fire it into the void, someone is listening

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

do it going fully remote is in like the top 5 best decisions I ever made. I maybe lost out on figgies a little but my actual disposable income is up and the qol is just insanely better. move to the beach or some nice walkable town it's great.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

distortion park posted:

do it going fully remote is in like the top 5 best decisions I ever made. I maybe lost out on figgies a little but my actual disposable income is up and the qol is just insanely better. move to the beach or some nice walkable town it's great.

a friend of mine makes 10k more than the offer I just got but he has to go to an office AND maintain a clearance. gently caress that my house, pajamas, and weed are way better than extra cash

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i squeezed an almost-six figs increase to my already-six-figs tc by going full remote to a fidi company from like 4 miles away

supply < demand for now, squeeze away

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 22, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm kinda getting tired of my current job but it's not evil and that's pretty hard to come by these days i feel

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my job is ending full remote so i am gearing up to find another one slowly over the course of this summer

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Dang, made it through the final interview gauntlet but they went with someone else.

Learned some things to tweak. Didn’t have to wait through the weekend to hear back. On to the next one!

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Was supposed to have a final interview this morning and an hour before they back out asking to reschedule, give me a date I've previously told them would not work and now silence.

Fun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TBF scheduling stuff between VPs/directors and teams can be hard even if you’re all in outlook, HR probably just saw the first open spot in the calendar for everyone that needs approval and sent out the request.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Had 1 ghost and 1 reschedule on Wednesday 4/20. coincidence?!? :dukedoge:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

TBF scheduling stuff between VPs/directors and teams can be hard even if you’re all in outlook, HR probably just saw the first open spot in the calendar for everyone that needs approval and sent out the request.

Having been on the other side, I don't doubt your right. Was just looking forward to being done with it one way or another and now have to wait a few more weeks.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm kinda getting tired of my current job but it's not evil and that's pretty hard to come by these days i feel

This is what keeps me going

I could easily pivot to a career that gets me a 50%+ raise in the span of a year but at best I'd be doing soulless code janitoring for a tech firm instead of getting people clean water

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I made a move from defense co one to defense co 2, ostensibly two fungible, evil companies in the eyes of many. but I’m proud of what I did at #1 and at #2 I wish I didn’t work on it (though it won’t make it to production, which is good)

things worked out okay I left #2 within a year to start a startup that’s been going strong for a few years now

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
What are the best job boards to hit these days? I’ve been going through LinkedIn Jobs pretty hard and that’s working well but what else should I be spamming for remote work?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rudest Buddhist posted:

What are the best job boards to hit these days? I’ve been going through LinkedIn Jobs pretty hard and that’s working well but what else should I be spamming for remote work?

Stackoverflow jobs was easily the best last time I was looking. RemoteOK has a lot of trendy, lovely jobs mixed in with more interesting ones.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

distortion park posted:

Stackoverflow jobs
:rip:

https://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/415293/sunsetting-jobs-developer-story

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
IMO any job board that let you spam applications are good uses of time.

work at a startup if you’re into that thing
indeed

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Welp.

Check out this reply (which I agree with) and the replies. Murdered by metrics.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rudest Buddhist posted:

My bootcamp gave me access to their curated job board and it seems to be 80% linkedin by volume.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress I said a number and he said “ooohhhh” and then “that’s within our base” RIP :rip:

It just slipped out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rudest Buddhist posted:

gently caress I said a number and he said “ooohhhh” and then “that’s within our base” RIP :rip:

It just slipped out.

if this is at the start you can recover near the end with “now that i have a better understanding of the position and expectations,” but it’s tough

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Rudest Buddhist posted:

gently caress I said a number

godDAMMIT

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
It happens to the best of us.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Practice makes perfect. Don't worry, just get what you can out of the offer and

Captain Foo posted:

if this is at the start you can recover near the end with “now that i have a better understanding of the position and expectations,” but it’s tough

Do better next time.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

What does "within our base" mean here?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

galenanorth posted:

it means u have to do a sneaking mission if you want to get paid

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Not a Children posted:

Practice makes perfect. Don't worry, just get what you can out of the offer and

Do better next time.

Yup. It's not something you'll nail the first time you try. I hosed this up a bunch as well when I was first job hopping. Keep in mind that the people you're up against literally do this every day for a living so don't beat yourself up too much for slipping

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks gang, it’s not the most tempting company yet but could be something. Find out as I keep moving forward!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

galenanorth posted:

It means that company generally pays between $x and $x+y as a base salary for a position. The figure proceed falls somewhere in that range. How much of a gently caress up that was depends how close to x or x+y that the figure provided was.

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Thanks gang, it’s not the most tempting company yet but could be something. Find out as I keep moving forward!

Negotiating isn’t an easy thing and trying it out on low stakes positions is a good idea.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t think it was too far off of base but I’d hate to leave anything on the table.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I don’t think it was too far off of base but I’d hate to leave anything on the table.
youll do better next time

read some books on negotiation*, read the bfc negotiation thread, always have one eye on your next job, and keep plugging away

the fact that you are here asking questions already puts you ahead of at least two-thirds of your peers when it comes to negotiating salary

* chapman, negotating your salary
voss, never split the difference
fisher, getting to yes
even things like negotiating for dummies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rudest Buddhist posted:

It just slipped out.
sounds like you need a competing offer from another company you’re interviewing with