Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cold on a Cob posted:

I get the joke but it’s actually weird it doesn’t even recognize the word Ramadan … oh wait this time it did :shrug:

nuff said I’m gonna shut up and wait for Eid treats

timb apple probably doesn’t observe ramadan, that’s why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

timb apple probably doesn’t observe ramadan, that’s why

he should learn more about ramadan. someone send him this:

spoilers but george gets a cute little vest as an Eid gift :3:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

maghrib is back

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

flakeloaf posted:

maghrib is back

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

related: a young person played this song in my pedicab last summer and it slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh9Nlm16_m0

its an ethnic algerian folk singer, an algerian rapper and uh. whoever french montana is and it slaps

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

flakeloaf posted:

maghrib is back

lmao

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i did a 40 mile bike ride yesterday and i did twelve today. extreme casual pace but it was wonderful

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

the cool thing about being athletic during ramadan is when its over you feel like a god reborn and it fuckin rules

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

had muslim neighbours once and after ramadan they made a bunch of food and brought it over to share and it was all delicious as gently caress

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

echinopsis posted:

ramadan near arctic ???

you can fast at a different time rather than the month of ramadan
you can follow the rising and setting times of another nearby locality that doesn't have a midnight sun issue
you can follow the rising and setting times of mecca

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

the cool thing about week 2 is its usually enough time for the metabolism to reset so im hoping poo poo just gets easier from this point out

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

ultravoices posted:

you can follow the rising and setting times of mecca

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i cant stop eating. i feel like pac man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same except no fast during the day to justify it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

maghrib is back

:thurman:

Casual Encountess posted:

i cant stop eating. i feel like pac man

in the grim future there is only food

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

same except no fast during the day to justify it

the other day my wife worked late so i had to eat dinner alone and used the opportunity to eat way too much stew, a whole bag of chips, and too much beer and then spent all night complaining to her that my tummy didn’t feel good :cool:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol at the implication you don’t do this 8-9 times per week

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just did a emergency contraception consult, and the lady wanted to wait until sundown to take the medication. she was already at the 24 hour mark so getting down to 85% effectiveness, hopefully waiting some more hours doesn’t make the difference between it working and not

are medications generally considered something you can’t take while fasting?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

just did a emergency contraception consult, and the lady wanted to wait until sundown to take the medication. she was already at the 24 hour mark so getting down to 85% effectiveness, hopefully waiting some more hours doesn’t make the difference between it working and not

im not sure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can you drink water during the fast?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

no

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

are you allowed to gently caress during ramadan

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

echinopsis posted:

taking medication by mouth is not allowed, other routes of administration are permitted.

boof that plan b

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

not taking oral meds really seems unfortunate

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

thats for hardliners. its kinda like reform jews vs traditionalists. most people dont care about stuff like meds but some families are crazy conservative. like i have friends whose family are the muslim version of conservative wasps.

islam is not a monolith. like im from indonesia, 4th most populous country, and highest pop of muslims in the world. we’re kinda the hawaii of islam though. were not all up in arab politics and theocracy and poo poo so my muslim experience is extremely different from my brothers sisters and themsters from the deserts.

like im a queer muslim i have to throw out lots of religious scholarly writing to practice my faith. its a land of contrasts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah when I was in the church we had an evening that was like a lecture about islam and something they pointed out was that, just like in christianity, you have people who are hardcore about their faith right down to the equivalent of people who only go to church on xmas day, and everything in between

just like how america is full of hypocritical christians who barely know the bible, there will be people in islam with the same approach and dedication. and everything else too

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah it’s just like the christian sects that don’t even allow poo poo like blood transfusions. very unfortunate but not necessarily even a plurality.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

indonesia owns

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yeah when I was in the church we had an evening that was like a lecture about islam and something they pointed out was that, just like in christianity, you have people who are hardcore about their faith right down to the equivalent of people who only go to church on xmas day, and everything in between

just like how america is full of hypocritical christians who barely know the bible, there will be people in islam with the same approach and dedication. and everything else too

in the UK actually believing in God is (or maybe was?) famously optional for anglican priests, although I think they don't fit neatly on that spectrum.

Some fun stories here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Anglicanism/comments/man8f3/an_anglican_priest_told_me_that_jesus_did_not_die/

when I lived in London my local church had a pride flag flying permanently and little pro-trans leaflets in the foyer (I went in because they also ran a children's play area and cafe in the church hall outside of service times). very different from my parents more evangelical church.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mediaphage posted:

not taking oral meds really seems unfortunate

I'm not at all an expert on Islam but my understanding is that most of the rules are meant to be on a best effort basis - i.e. can you reasonably do this thing? Like you should try and work out what direction Mecca is before praying but if you don't have a compass or whatever then just make your best guess. Seems like under most interpretations a quick chat with your doctor would be sufficient to work out if you have an option or not re oral pills

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like for me the line is like birth control/psych meds/dailies yeah sure. vitamins and non essential supplements no.

i had to cold turkey caffeine at the beginning of this month

as always heres my favorite muslim tweet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Casual Encountess posted:

thats for hardliners. its kinda like reform jews vs traditionalists. most people dont care about stuff like meds but some families are crazy conservative. like i have friends whose family are the muslim version of conservative wasps.

islam is not a monolith. like im from indonesia, 4th most populous country, and highest pop of muslims in the world. we’re kinda the hawaii of islam though. were not all up in arab politics and theocracy and poo poo so my muslim experience is extremely different from my brothers sisters and themsters from the deserts.

like im a queer muslim i have to throw out lots of religious scholarly writing to practice my faith. its a land of contrasts

i read a thing by the daughter of the old (still??) malaysian PM about arab cultural imperialism and it was real good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eeek how long until ramadan is over?

this woman who has a million health problems including diabetes and taking ace inhibitors is taking way over the max dose of anti inflammatories for pain (she’s used over 90 naproxen 750s in 40 days) and I was like please make sure you stay well hydrated so you don’t risk acute kidney failure and she was like i’m fasting. gently caress i wonder if I should contact her doctor about it. i don’t wanna be a narc lol

e: until end of month. 🤔🤔 stupid fuckin dilemmas

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

"Yet if one among you is sick or is on a journey, [such a person shall then fast] the same number of other days" (Surat Al-Baqarah, 2:185).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the part after that one always stuck with me: "Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship, and for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful"

telling you straightup that your faith is meant to be a gift, not a burden, and if you can't meet an obligation for a good reason then you're excused with infinite compassion

not one for religion but that's a beautiful sentiment right there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i believe in science :mmmsmug:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that’s why I am so chipper all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive