Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are ghosts real?
Yes.
No.
Impossible to judge one way or another.
I've heard on warm nights in Shibuya you can hear Takei's spirit whisper about Tezuka art and Porsches
View Results

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Ok, so the math wasn't how I remembered it, that's good.

So for the first 12 they adapted 80 chapters (much like the anime did in 24 and then split off)

That leaves 40 episodes to do 220. Still looks too packed, but far less so than the first cour of this show.

The ending was originally in chapter 285 in an anticlimax, but during a tankenbon re-release, the author was able to add more chapters, 15 total to bring the chapter count to 300, including redoing chapter 285 entirely to lead into this new endign instead of having the original one. It's almost guaranteed we'll get the 'new' ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I forget, are Yoh and Hao voiced by the same actress (and was this the case in the original anime as well)?

No for both. Hao is voiced by Minami Takayama in both, while Yoh was originally voiced by Yuko Sato and is voiced now by Yoko Hirasa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

No for both. Hao is voiced by Minami Takayama in both, while Yoh was originally voiced by Yuko Sato and is voiced now by Yoko Hirasa.

Ah, nevermind then. The two sounded a bit similar in this episode so I was just curious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

An English trailer for the Shaman King reboot has been released recently and it seems they managed to get a few of the 4Kids VAs back for it:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bG_NVZsaaYo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E: Bah shoulda checked

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hearing this verion of Manta say "Not again!" After Yoh falls to Faust is pretty funny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the dub of this series has begun, anybody check it out yet (and if so how is it)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Shaman King reboot has come to an end (for the fansubbed version that is, it’ll probably be a while before Netflix catches up). It got a little better once we hit the actual Shaman Fight portion of the story and they made Chocolove much less overtly racist looking but overall it was kind of mediocre at best and the manga is better

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've been buying those 3-volume omnibus editions of the manga as they've been coming out, I'm excited to finally own the whole manga on paper by the end of the year

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1517072320438751233?t=Q0Mbqkg-PT9CNrQduoHyqw&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume this is an adaption of Flowers?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I assume this is an adaption of Flowers?

Probably, the one interested in exactly how much of an adaptation it's going to be considering that Flowers got canceled, then came back, then fractured a billion ways, and in general seems like it is an absolutely no hurry to really do anything with itself and its half-dozen spinoffs.

As for the series that just ended, re-watching it in animated form made me think "man, I totally get why this manga was canceled in the first place". It's interesting, but it's paced poorly, doesn't hold together well, has continuity issues, doesn't pay off all the things it needed to, and is dearly lacking in catharsis. Shaman King honestly feels like it started in the wrong genre. By the end of it the author just seemed totally uninterested with the Shounen battle manga parts of his own series, and fair enough that is his prerogative, but the show never really cleanly transitioned away from it into the quasi-philosophical character drama he seemed to be going for after about the 60% mark. Maybe that was a mandate from above, but given there's about 20 volumes of post Shaman King manga that's mostly just dithering around I gotta say I'm not exactly falling over myself with excitement that it might get animated.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, the main villain is basically defeated by his dead mom giving him a stern talking to (it was sort of funny at the end where the gang were adults and Manta barely looked like he changed at all though)

It doesn’t help that the most recent adaption straight up skipped a few chapters early on and rushed through the beginning arguably even faster than FMA: Brotherhood did (though as you mentioned, even the manga wasn’t all that much better in terms of overall story)

Also the fact that since as far as I’m aware most of the spinoffs are directly connected to one another I’m kind of curious how this sequel anime is going to work considering that Super Star wasn’t finished and has been on hiatus for about a year now (don’t remember if Flowers was a full story in and of itself or not though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 23, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Also the fact that since as far as I’m aware most of the spinoffs are directly connected to one another I’m kind of curious how this sequel anime is going to work considering that Super Star wasn’t finished and has been on hiatus for about a year now (don’t remember if Flowers was a full story in and of itself or not though)

Flowers ended flagrantly unfinished, in a way very similar to the original actually!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Flowers ended flagrantly unfinished, in a way very similar to the original actually!

Ah, in that case I’m really curious how this new anime is going to work (I suppose they could also pull from stuff like Red Crimson and Marcos if they wanted). But maybe this will give Hiroyuki Takei the motivation he needs to finally get off his rear end and finish Super Star

While I like the characters and setting Shaman King really isn’t that great a series now that I think about it (or at least he’s not great at ending things in a satisfactory manner anyway)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 24, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

While I like the characters and setting Shaman King really isn’t that great a series now that I think about it (or at least he’s not great at ending things in a satisfactory manner at least)

Like I said, dearly lacking in Catharsis.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I liked the deciding factor in the final battle not being actual fight-related because Hao being invincible was something that the story had been building up to since he appeared and serves as the cherry on top to prove Yoh's philosophy that even the worst people have some good in them.

But it's a series with some real pacing issues (with a sequel that is apparently even worse at this judging by what people are saying?) and this adaptation being more rushed than Brotherhood didn't help, for sure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shaman King Flowers is getting an anime adaption next year:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_IibHdCX7Nk

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

gently caress yes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, was the manga version of this (or Super Star as it eventually became) ever finished?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, was the manga version of this (or Super Star as it eventually became) ever finished?

Nope. There were also like a half dozen other sequel/prequel spin-offs as well. They didn't finish either.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We love a series that just can't finish poo poo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Nope. There were also like a half dozen other sequel/prequel spin-offs as well. They didn't finish either.

Kind of curious how an anime adaption of an incomplete manga is going to work then (maybe they’ll make up an ending or something)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Killingyouguy! posted:

We love a series that just can't finish poo poo

That's basically a recurring issue with the author, given Ultimo. Hey remember Ultimo? I wouldn't be surprised if you don't.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

That's basically a recurring issue with the author, given Ultimo. Hey remember Ultimo? I wouldn't be surprised if you don't.

What is with the author and not being able to finish a project anyway (I think the last thing he fully completed was the OG Shaman King)?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

What is with the author and not being able to finish a project anyway (I think the last thing he fully completed was the OG Shaman King)?

He didn't even fully complete OG Shaman King, it ended in the middle of them invading the plants, the night before the finale. Heck, he skipped past the final battle between Marcoh and Luchist, originally the fight started at the end of one chapter and then the next chapter opened with Lyserg tearfully holding Marcoh's glasses. Takei went back 5 years later to do that fight and the last ~12 chapters to complete the story, and for the sake of fairness I'll say that a) I fully believe it was the intended ending all along since it slides perfectly into the original material and b) I have no idea how or why the series didn't conclude in the first place, for all I know it could very well have just been cancelled or had other magazine issues. I also wouldn't be surprised if Flowers got cancelled given it also had a non-ending, but really I couldn't say for sure exactly what happened.

And looking at it I think some of the spin-offs did actually conclude, but given how limp they generally were I never felt invested enough to actually READ them, so I could be being unduly harsh. Also Ultimo apparently concluded as well, but apparently as a fairly open ending that probably lacked much in the way of real closure or catharsis. And given how limp and flat that manga also was, and how completely deranged the pacing of it was I also never bothered to follow it beyond like chapter 2.

Really all the post-Shaman King stuff has done is highlight all the weaknesses of Shaman King and few of the initial strengths.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So did the original early 2000s anime have an anime-original ending? How much did it diverge from the manga and when did the divergence start?

I used to read this manga in Shonen Jump back in the day when it was first published in english but eventually fell off the bandwagon, sometime before they all go to America.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ccs posted:

So did the original early 2000s anime have an anime-original ending? How much did it diverge from the manga and when did the divergence start?

I used to read this manga in Shonen Jump back in the day when it was first published in english but eventually fell off the bandwagon, sometime before they all go to America.

I forget but I know it got to the Shaman Fight at least

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ccs posted:

The 2000s anime had an entirely original ending. There were a handful of differences throughout (for instance Horohoro was introduced and became a main character before his match with Yoh), but it started to properly diverge when the cast got to America and had to find the Patch village. That portion was extended and had filler stuff and the events were shuffled around, and by the time they actually reached the Patch village the anime bore almost no resemblance to the events of the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For anyone interested the Shaman King Flowers anime has officially begun (with a fansubbed release at least, the official one still won’t hit Netflix for a while most likely)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 11, 2024