Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dieting Hippo posted:

Plenty more dirty laundry getting aired out. This poo poo is endemic.

https://twitter.com/iamNode/status/1516517424564097024

My brother worked as a tester for nintendo in the late oughties and that's exactly what he went through. He had to file for unemployment for those two months every year. If he wasn't living with our parents that would've been pretty devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

My uncle works for Nintendo and he says it's the greatest place he's ever worked. He even let me play the new Super Mario World (coming in 2025) that has nude princess peach AND yoshi

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jobs done quick

:chloe:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Freakazoid_ posted:

My brother worked as a tester for nintendo in the late oughties and that's exactly what he went through. He had to file for unemployment for those two months every year. If he wasn't living with our parents that would've been pretty devastating.

I've had to deal with similar poo poo in the past, and it was not fun having to deal with unemployment every year. COBRA is a loving joke when you're already making close to minimum wage, your unemployment payout doesn't meet your income you had while working, and you choose to have your taxes taken out so you're not screwed come tax time.

If anyone's interested, I made a tweet thread a few years back that talks about this situation that contractors are put in. Spoiler: This poo poo Never Ends

https://twitter.com/dietinghippo/status/1144492856800731137

Edit: Additional context for the above tweet thread, that was when all the game companies were crowing about how they weren't doing crunch and that their employees don't work more than 40 hours on average! This of course excluded any contract workers that aren't "officially" employed and regularly do way more than 40.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 20, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's hosed that billion(s) dollar companies get away with the contractor poo poo, just thinking about it infuriates me. Does the bottom line really get that terrible if you hire people full time? You have one of the best selling consoles ever, using ten year old technology. Hire and pay your employees! gently caress!

Not in the industry I am just hopping mad :frogsiren:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Sounds like how EA Los Angeles handled their QA as well. You were not allowed to work longer than a year, and after that you had a three month "gardening leave" before you were allowed to reapply again. I knew guys that only managed this lifestyle because they all roomed together, so during the lean times when they were on unemployment, they could still keep the lights on.

loving atrocious.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

External Organs posted:

It's hosed that billion(s) dollar companies get away with the contractor poo poo, just thinking about it infuriates me. Does the bottom line really get that terrible if you hire people full time? You have one of the best selling consoles ever, using ten year old technology. Hire and pay your employees! gently caress!

It’s the same bureaucratic reason the government uses contractors like that - you aren’t formally increasing headcount or the number of reports so approvals are different.

It may or may not be cheaper than a full time employee because of agencies getting their cut too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

External Organs posted:

I think legally speaking if you have a desk at their office and can be late to work, you are by definition not a contractor. The whole point of the distinction is that no one else controls the time and manner of your work, which admittedly can be fuzzy in other contexts but if you have a desk job and are applying for time off that's like an open-and-shut case.

Edit: The difference between "please give me a vacation" and "sorry, I can't do that because I'm on vacation."

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 20, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Third-party contracting is the biggest loving scam and should have been made illegal the second someone thought of it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Someone I follow on Twitter who left Gamespot for Nintendo’s localization team a few years ago when GS was going through a bunch of changes just posted her new new job back in games media, I wonder if her leaving was partly inspired by whatever happened here. I know I’d want to get the gently caress out if my employer was firing people for unionizing.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Nintendo had a few of these sorts of issues come to light in the past, but I wonder if the flood gates are about to open.

https://twitter.com/gen_ironicus/status/1119436582757515265?s=21&t=yWuonxpNaMBhgGS0Nb4yvg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/_katerwaul_/status/1516535859264114692?s=21&t=EpEsuGQEUZBqIo9nD229QQ

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Japan isn't exactly known for its healthy work culture, so I assumed it was there too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/emilyglazer/status/1517141840754921472?s=21&t=JQQIbuzHaplqoMDIGPHOHw

I laughed out loud reading this, of course Evil Activision Man was dating Evil Facebook Lady.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

mutata posted:

Japan isn't exactly known for its healthy work culture, so I assumed it was there too.

Yeah I’ve just always assumed that the typical high level salaryman at the single most prestigious institution in Japan was probably some next level Amazon-exec mutant who hasn’t actually seen their wife in 5 years.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Sounds like Ubisoft is contemplating a change of ... something anyway:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1517575983326453760

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1517949461766578176

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sounds like they've been bleeding talent for a while if all their major franchises are delayed.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I will laugh forever if Vivendi ends up finally buying them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ubisoft has been making absolutely dogshit AAA open world games for like a decade and basically anyone who plays video games recognizes that they are, at best, a passable waste of time instead of awesome and engaging. Ubisoft getting chopped up and sold for parts to better dev would be the best one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ubisoft games' credit sequences last like 40 minutes and list dozens of international teams. Their games sell well but poo poo probably wasn't self-sustainable in the long run

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bust Rodd posted:

Ubisoft has been making absolutely dogshit AAA open world games for like a decade and basically anyone who plays video games recognizes that they are, at best, a passable waste of time instead of awesome and engaging. Ubisoft getting chopped up and sold for parts to better dev would be the best one.

Ubisoft Mainz (formerly Blue Byte) has been knocking it out of the park with Anno 1800 and it's DLCs. If the rest of Ubisoft has been choking so badly it makes sense why they keep getting the green light to make more high quality DLC for their game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Ubisoft Mainz (formerly Blue Byte) has been knocking it out of the park with Anno 1800 and it's DLCs. If the rest of Ubisoft has been choking so badly it makes sense why they keep getting the green light to make more high quality DLC for their game.

Oh dang I hope they land well if Ubisoft is sold. I keep on forgetting they are part of Ubisoft now. It’s still just a small German studio, right?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Alkydere posted:

Now there's a series I'd like decoupled from Ubisoft and made available elsewhere again.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
Ubisoft has the highest amount of management in a company ive ever seen, its next to Activision-Blizzard

You get like 10 managers to a single dev over there lmao

and then they do slave labor to Romania, Indonesia, and other places in the world for QA testing, Art, and Marketing

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Ubisoft Montreal has been offering some absolutely insane bonuses and leave time to try to keep employees. It's still losing people left and right.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

They're in a weird position where the best "Ubisoft games" of recent years like Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima aren't even made by Ubisoft. I also got the impression their sexual harassment/assault workplace scandals are significantly worse than the standard fratboy poo poo we've seen from a dozen companies at this point.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

There was also their attempted blockchain thing that immediately blew up on the tarmac that only pissed off devs and players.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

That was allegedly due to the chief creative officer who resigned almost two years ago over the sexual harassment and the other abuse, he supposedly loved that stuff and had authority to greenlight/cancel games arbitrarily enough to coerce devs into including it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh dang I hope they land well if Ubisoft is sold. I keep on forgetting they are part of Ubisoft now. It’s still just a small German studio, right?

Yup. Just a single, relatively small German studio. Also apparently the latest DLC season is being made with some funding grant they got from the German government (which I'm sure the execs at Ubi were not at all upset with). I've yet to hear anything hosed up about the studio as well, and I suspect the Ubisoft execs are quite fine just letting it do more or less whatever as long as the money and popularity roll in right now.

And if getting a government grant for a video game shocks you, look up Anno 1800 on Twitch at some point, especially during the prime hours for central Europe: the entire Anno series is insanely popular in Germany.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Come Microsoft buy them and put all their poo poo on gamepass for us.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
No don't

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Alkydere posted:

And if getting a government grant for a video game shocks you, look up Anno 1800 on Twitch at some point, especially during the prime hours for central Europe: the entire Anno series is insanely popular in Germany.

Germans, man. They also loving love their farming/trucking sims and the X games. (No not the sporting event, the spaceflight game where you spend most of your time looking at spreadsheets and automating your fleet instead of flying).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ubisoft among big name publishers is at least still willing to have a diverse product lineup, though they seem to be ground zero for all their remotely action based games turning into the same open-world sandbox collectathon slog. Which I think they kinda invented with Far Cry 3. That said, that might just be 'For some reason people pay money for this poo poo, so I suppose we won't kill it off and take the studio apart to make more Assassin's Creed assets... YET...'

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ubisoft’s Singapore studio is a total mess. Allegations of sexual harassment and ineffectual HR. They dealt with the managing director’s sexual harassment by transferring him back to France and “demoting” him to just a regular director: https://www.linkedin.com/in/publicprofilehricour (description for his Singapore role: “Making our studios great places to work for”)

Also the studio hasn’t shipped a single game. Skull and Bones is their signature project and it’s been in development for nine (!) years without a release date in sight. I have no idea how these things are financed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vegetable posted:

Ubisoft’s Singapore studio is a total mess. Allegations of sexual harassment and ineffectual HR. They dealt with the managing director’s sexual harassment by transferring him back to France and “demoting” him to just a regular director: https://www.linkedin.com/in/publicprofilehricour (description for his Singapore role: “Making our studios great places to work for”)

Also the studio hasn’t shipped a single game. Skull and Bones is their signature project and it’s been in development for nine (!) years without a release date in sight. I have no idea how these things are financed.

Very carelessly

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vegetable posted:

Skull and Bones is their flagship project

ftfy ;)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Alkydere posted:

Yup. Just a single, relatively small German studio. Also apparently the latest DLC season is being made with some funding grant they got from the German government (which I'm sure the execs at Ubi were not at all upset with).
FWIW, Germany recently developed a rather generous pool for funding games (€50M annually) at the federal level. They recognized that their neighbors were kind of kicking their rear end in terms of game dev and it's difficult to lure a lot of their coders (especially) away from fintech, which is very lucrative in Berlin (especially), Munich, and Frankfurt without reasonable budgets that can translate to decent salaries.

They're quite flexible with funding at various team/project sizes as well as funding co-dev studios within Germany. A ton of people/teams apply for the grants but most don't even pass the basic sniff test for viability and get nothing. A team that consistently ships successful projects is exactly the sort of thing the federal initiative is meant to support because they want to grow a stable base of domestic game dev.

I know that Bavaria also has state-level funding but AFAIK that's the only German state that does and it doesn't compare to the federal initiative in terms of Euros spent.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

rope kid posted:

FWIW, Germany recently developed a rather generous pool for funding games (€50M annually) at the federal level. They recognized that their neighbors were kind of kicking their rear end in terms of game dev and it's difficult to lure a lot of their coders (especially) away from fintech, which is very lucrative in Berlin (especially), Munich, and Frankfurt without reasonable budgets that can translate to decent salaries.

They're quite flexible with funding at various team/project sizes as well as funding co-dev studios within Germany. A ton of people/teams apply for the grants but most don't even pass the basic sniff test for viability and get nothing. A team that consistently ships successful projects is exactly the sort of thing the federal initiative is meant to support because they want to grow a stable base of domestic game dev.

I know that Bavaria also has state-level funding but AFAIK that's the only German state that does and it doesn't compare to the federal initiative in terms of Euros spent.

Only found out that the Battle Brothers guys have a new project in the works based off of someone going through the publicly available grant documents the german government published.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Vegetable posted:

Doesn't Singapore subsidize game dev? It's probably a scam of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Clarste posted:

Doesn't Singapore subsidize game dev? It's probably a scam of some kind.

Why would you jump to that particular conclusion?