Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
that's it's own whole can of worms / specialized restaurateurs when it comes to the arts and media.

some artists consider the playback devices part of their piece, some don't, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

akadajet posted:

it might not be all bad. people just need to keep their poo poo up to date.

“finished work of art” get outta here. it’s software

gently caress off

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i think the reason why apple is getting antsy about getting people to reup their apps is that the process has evolved a lot since it first started, and they can do a lot more things automatically on their end now. but if it's been like 5 years they don't have any of the newer poo poo xcode and the apis gives them to say, support new screen sizes or say, a new AR operating system called realityOS, so the software support for those new devices goes way down.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I’m trying to decide between an iPhone 13 mini or an SE(2022). da apple website says the 13 mini gets 2 hours better battery life than the SE. was wondering if anyone has a 13 and can talk about what kind of battery life they get, especially if they can compare it to an SE (2020) like the one I have now. thanks and god bless

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LibCrusher posted:

I’m trying to decide between an iPhone 13 mini or an SE(2022). da apple website says the 13 mini gets 2 hours better battery life than the SE. was wondering if anyone has a 13 and can talk about what kind of battery life they get, especially if they can compare it to an SE (2020) like the one I have now. thanks and god bless

I don't have a 13 mini but I went from a 2020 SE to a 2022 SE and the battery life is noticeably better. My battery will last like two-three days now. Of course my 2020 SE battery was at like 80% health for whatever reason (kept in on charger too much while working from home maybe) and was terrible.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

LibCrusher posted:

about 6 hours screen on maybe less if you're constantly loading data like video streaming or gps navigation

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

I don't have a 13 mini but I went from a 2020 SE to a 2022 SE and the battery life is noticeably better. My battery will last like two-three days now. Of course my 2020 SE battery was at like 80% health for whatever reason (kept in on charger too much while working from home maybe) and was terrible.

I went from OG SE to 2022 SE and this battery feels like it never goes down. Plus the faster charging means it only needs to be plugged in a tiny bit every few days. It's slightly bigger than I wanted it to be, but on the whole it's worth it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

15.3.1 fixes some bugs, is a mess

15.4 adds more bugs, dont ask me how I know

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

LibCrusher posted:

i have a 13 mini and the battery life is fine, as in it gets through a whole day. but its not noticeably great or anything. It is better than the 11 i replaced, which had a 3110 maH battery, and this has a 2438maH one

quite often I forget to charge it overnight and I can usually make it to the end of the next work day if I don't browse on it a lot

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

15.3.1 fixes some bugs, is a mess

fixed my thunderbolt docking hell so i'm never upgrading again

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my mac studio was delivered today like a month before it was supposed to. i'm doing a transfer from my old laptop now. cool.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

postin from the new computer

it's like the old computer but a lot faster

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sounds terrible

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Achmed Jones posted:

postin from the new computer

it's like the old computer but a lot faster

also quieter. i have yet to hear the fans in my studio after about a month.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LibCrusher posted:

did exactly this, SE 2020 to 13 mini, and consider it an improvement on all fronts

being super honest, don’t think much about battery life but suppose that’s an answer in and of itself? it’s definitely not noticeably less

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine if you just hired real humans to address these kinds of issues as opposed to hiring boatloads of humans to create automated systems

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

echinopsis posted:

imagine if you just hired real humans to address these kinds of issues as opposed to hiring boatloads of humans to create automated systems
that's working as intended. board members can respect programmers to some extent, but people who would do the job you intend to automate do not deserve wages and it's worth it spending more to deprive them of work

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
saw a very yellowed out 6100/60 and monitor out on my walk this afternoon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
don't hold out on me chris. you know i live around here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

saw a very yellowed out 6100/60 and monitor out on my walk this afternoon

awful creatures

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

knowing that all my favorite beige macs is heading straight to the landfill immediately after i die is a very depressing thought

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Plorkyeran posted:

also quieter. i have yet to hear the fans in my studio after about a month.

I’ve been running builds on it that keep all of the cores pegged and I still can’t hear a thing. if I put my hand behind it I can feel a little bit of heat come out. this replaces a year old AMD-based system with water cooling that would pull 500W doing the same thing while turning my office into a convection oven, and does it faster.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
computers, when will they ever learn

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
yeah but can a Mac studio play Elden ring

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

don't hold out on me chris. you know i live around here.
just say no to Gen 1 PPC machines mang

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
old macs are the milfs of the computer world

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Chris Knight posted:

the monitors at a minimum are still fun to gently caress around with though

no joke i'd like a mac se or similar to sit in the kitchen and keep my kitchen notes on though

echinopsis posted:

old macs are the milfs of the computer world

:chloe:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
that time of the year echi starts being gross and gets probed

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

no joke i'd like a mac se or similar to sit in the kitchen and keep my kitchen notes on though

Can you mod the vintage Macs like an SE/30 with some type of flash storage? This would be nice in order to have a silent machine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it should be possible, they're just scsi disks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

mediaphage posted:

yeah, i actually would have nabbed the monitor. i could use a crt for a few things

i've got a mac classic on the shelf that still runs as well today as the day it was sold

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it was at like Dewson & Concord south side , idk how long it's been sitting there though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao god apple should be so loving embarrassed about the studio display camera

from some random dev on twitter:

old fw:

new fw:

a five-year old imac pro:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

it was at like Dewson & Concord south side , idk how long it's been sitting there though

well, it's a bit wet out now anyway, but thanks

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that comparison is very lol. the old imac looks like a photo from an actual camera, rather than the others which look extremely webcam. he's also smiling which is also makes it automatically a more pleasant photo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lmao god apple should be so loving embarrassed about the studio display camera

from some random dev on twitter:

old fw:

new fw:

a five-year old imac pro:

this is exactly the man i would expect to be comparing computer webcam quality on twitter

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

well why not posted:

that comparison is very lol. the old imac looks like a photo from an actual camera, rather than the others which look extremely webcam. he's also smiling which is also makes it automatically a more pleasant photo

he’s also sat way further back which makes the framing a lot better

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tag yourself. i'm the sad, framed star wars minifigures

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’m the boxed copy of halo proudly displayed on my shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored