Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

carry on then posted:

it means u have to do a sneaking mission if you want to get paid

This deserves several empty quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

much like qirex it’s time for me to also start complaining and interviewing

i have a few irl leads to follow up on in the next few weeks but is anyone itt hiring a staff/principal/arch level backend dev? preferably in the Java/spring/Kotlin/reactor zone but I’m extremely polyglot and can be up and running in any lang and framework in like a day at this point in my career and life

I’ve been wearing a ton of hats and moving the needle on projects for years now as both an IC and a planner, ticket writer, politicker, diagram and wiki maker etc

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

a cyberpunk goose posted:

preferably in the Java/spring/Kotlin/reactor zone but I’m extremely polyglot and can be up and running in any lang and framework in like a day at this point in my career and life

I wouldn’t tell your prospective employers this.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

tk posted:

I wouldn’t tell your prospective employers this.

don’t worry :coffeepal: I am not that arrogant and am just loosely posturing among confidants

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Does that apply to, like, c++ and lisp? Because that's a pretty bold claim.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Private Speech posted:

Does that apply to, like, c++ and lisp? Because that's a pretty bold claim.

ok settle down folks I didn’t mean to ruffle feathers

I’ve done embedded c and c++ professionally, maintained the build tool chain there for a bit (arm eabi), I’ve written UI tools in C++/Qt, I’ve written and maintained Django apps and contributed to big ones and dealt with dumb Python 2/3 things, I’ve written a bunch of little hobby games in Unity and C#, wrote little game servers with custom protocols in node js, done some PRs and serious tests in node w yarn for some teams at a previous job, I’ve maintained and bolted important features into huge ancient Java mono repos, green fielded nice Kotlin libraries w spring boot auto configure niceties, written fresh APIs and durable publishers/consumers from the ground up, I’ve worked on a VERY downloaded android app doing both internal infra crap and UI layout stuff, I’ve done a ton of Scala PRs in life but prefer to avoid it generally, I’ve done a ton of little rust things for fun in my spare time. I’ve done some basic stuff in actor frameworks (akka). at this job I’m a resident Kotlin and Reactor wizard (within spring webflux) and have been advocating for more coroutine or classic thread usage (our org sent kinda crazy using reactor in places it’s maybe not great for, like ETL-esque crons). I’ve written a handful of little MP game things in my life and am proud of my architecture chops there.

:smith: I haven’t written much lisp but it’s easy to write lexers for so I’ve stared at it a bunch in reference and syntax wise it’s not wild or foreign at least

these days I mostly do service dev backend stuff and spend a lot of my time wearing the architecture and principal hat helping negotiate broader ideas or patterns or nicely talking people down from trying to build way more than they need to, with an emphasis on jvm adjacent technologies

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 26, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Outside of tech majors and putative tech majors, basically, staff-and-up hiring gets done by calling up your old buddies and telling them you're on the market again and then they hop to it and get you a job. Interviewing was basically over years ago when you made your impression on your buddies, although non-buddies in the company may need to be convinced. So we're really handwringing over how to deal with the interview sequences at tech majors and putative tech majors, basically, unless you have more specific targets in mind

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Outside of tech majors and putative tech majors, basically, staff-and-up hiring gets done by calling up your old buddies and telling them you're on the market again and then they hop to it and get you a job. Interviewing was basically over years ago when you made your impression on your buddies, although non-buddies in the company may need to be convinced. So we're really handwringing over how to deal with the interview sequences at tech majors and putative tech majors, basically, unless you have more specific targets in mind

i agree this is often how it’s done, but I’ve seen it a lot in my market (PNW) where architects and principles and even staff get hired without knowing anyone at the company directly

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

i agree this is often how it’s done, but I’ve seen it a lot in my market (PNW) where architects and principles and even staff get hired without knowing anyone at the company directly

the thread in sh/sc is probably more conducive to productive discussion if that's what you're looking for. this is more like the cspam covid thread.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

word, good to know, I was directed here from the ol reliable cjs thread. I’ve had some good job convos and interviews etc with lovely yospos folk in the past and figured I’d fish around

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

where do you think the tech majors and putative tech majors are? where do you think the good targets for staff jobs of this sort are? lol

(I think stringent is talkin about the ol peeps thread, which is actually in cavern of cobol)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 26, 2022

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I’m just putting some feelers out there, it’s not crazy to be like “hey anyone hiring remote BE devs at MTS/arch/principal level?”

best case someone is like “hey yeah lemme dm you”

worst case is someone wants to be weird about it in the chill posting zone

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah i meant coc

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

I’m just putting some feelers out there, it’s not crazy to be like “hey anyone hiring remote BE devs at MTS/arch/principal level?”

cool beans, no hard feelings

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

a lot of shitposting gets done here but I've learned a ton from this thread over the years from my own questions as well as other people's questions. earnest posts and shitposts should live side by side in harmony here imo

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

btw the coc thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607482

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well there's oldjob but they only hired ninjas and rockstars, not wizards, so idk if it's a good fit

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

thanks! the other formal job thread in coc seems kinda stale but maybe that’s a sign of the times

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Achmed Jones posted:

well there's oldjob but they only hired ninjas and rockstars, not wizards, so idk if it's a good fit

yeah iunno

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

I’ve done embedded c and c++ professionally, maintained the build tool chain there for a bit (arm eabi), I’ve written UI tools in C++/Qt, I’ve written and maintained Django apps and contributed to big ones and dealt with dumb Python 2/3 things, I’ve written a bunch of little hobby games in Unity and C#, wrote little game servers with custom protocols in node js, done some PRs and serious tests in node w yarn for some teams at a previous job, I’ve maintained and bolted important features into huge ancient Java mono repos, green fielded nice Kotlin libraries w spring boot auto configure niceties, written fresh APIs and durable publishers/consumers from the ground up, I’ve worked on a VERY downloaded android app doing both internal infra crap and UI layout stuff, I’ve done a ton of Scala PRs in life but prefer to avoid it generally, I’ve done a ton of little rust things for fun in my spare time. I’ve done some basic stuff in actor frameworks (akka). at this job I’m a resident Kotlin and Reactor wizard (within spring webflux) and have been advocating for more coroutine or classic thread usage (our org sent kinda crazy using reactor in places it’s maybe not great for, like ETL-esque crons). I’ve written a handful of little MP game things in my life and am proud of my architecture chops there.

:smith: I haven’t written much lisp but it’s easy to write lexers for so I’ve stared at it a bunch in reference and syntax wise it’s not wild or foreign at least

these days I mostly do service dev backend stuff and spend a lot of my time wearing the architecture and principal hat helping negotiate broader ideas or patterns or nicely talking people down from trying to build way more than they need to, with an emphasis on jvm adjacent technologies

Oh, I feel you. You'll land a good job. But the skills that I actually want to know about are all hidden in that last sentence. Make that bigger and focus on that.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
A pointed, sarcastic approach to job hiring really helps balances the power dynamic of interviewing. "The hiring manager has no clothes" doesn't help confidence in the moment of an interview quite like "yo that dude is fukkin naked."

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Achmed Jones posted:

where do ‘mancers fit in all this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

necro-, pyro-, and shadowmancers are acceptable due to their proximity to the accepted classes or, in the case of necro, because skulls are cool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

and the console cowboys? what of them?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

is this the navy seals confirmed kills copypasta

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Achmed Jones posted:

necro-, pyro-, and shadowmancers are acceptable due to their proximity to the accepted classes or, in the case of necro, because skulls are cool

ah gently caress im more of a technomancer, something I say all the time to my partner who hates it but they’re the ones killing their gadgets all the time and I’m reviving it like electronic jesus

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we talkin shadowrun or gurps here chummer

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

one of the things this thread does is interview coaching. like the list of questions to ask or don’t name a number, abrasive feedback about how to talk about how to sell yourself most effectively is mostly well intentioned

bob dobbs figgieland heat checks are annoying but more tolerable if you know enough pos lore that they’re coming from a dude who’s tryin to do a fft on a timecube

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fast classical qft has been known since like 2008, it isnt useful cuz it cant handle the right sort of entangling

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

this thread made me a lot of money over the years

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Coco13 posted:

A pointed, sarcastic approach to job hiring really helps balances the power dynamic of interviewing. "The hiring manager has no clothes" doesn't help confidence in the moment of an interview quite like "yo that dude is fukkin naked."

yes, this is the best interviewing thread because we flip the chair around, sit on it backwards, and break it down like it really is

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
not me, I only riker maneuver 24/7

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

PokeJoe posted:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

is this the navy seals confirmed kills copypasta

listen here you little poo poo

i have over 30 confirmed imperative languages under my belt

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yup. i got into my current role as senior staff via a linkedin cold open that plopped into my lap

PokeJoe posted:

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 26, 2022

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

listen here you little poo poo

i have over 30 confirmed imperative languages under my belt

lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yup. i got into my current role as senior staff via a linkedin cold open that plopped into my lap

i got my first figgie job by going to their website and spamming my resume to a bunch of job listings

i got my second figgie job partially due to knowing someone tho

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my last job i only sorta knew someone there, we both got reached out on LinkedIn and he accepted an offer a week before I did but other than that I didn't know a soul there. once you get your foot in the door if you have a good niche sometimes dece jobs do just come and find you

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I basically tripled my income thanks to this thread just from last job into current. well and the power of Knowing A Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Currently thinking of pivoting to being a content moderator for Metaverse. My cover letter would be my steam achievements page for Hypnospace Outlaw. My reference would be an SA mod.