Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

on the one hand it's a nothingburger cause the Yankees were doing what reporters say "most other teams" were doing

on the other hand it is a big deal that apparently most teams were doing this (using replay to steal signs and then relay them to runners on 2B), a bunch of national reporters seemed to be aware of it, and it wasn't widely reported as a league wide scandal at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The key difference as best as I understand besides success or tenure or when a particular rule was in place is that the Yankees were using video to decode the signs but the players themselves still had read them. The scheme doesn’t actually seem practical to deliver a sign from the replay room to the dugout to the runner on second base and to the batter in the time before a pitch. They were figuring out the system mid game via the replay room and then telling players how to do it from second. The latter part being the standard and legal thing but the former violating the rules of using electronics. And I think we knew all that already?

The thing the Astros did which was unique was reading the signs live and communicating with the batter directly.

Did I get that right?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I will never understand baseball signals on the field. Like, 2nd to home is about 130 feet, and even with very good vision it's hard for me to to pick up on all but the most obnoxious signs at that distance. It would be super obvious trying to steal or relay signs, I feel like. Which is why, I guess, it seems so weird that the banging, for example, took so long to notice. Surely someone must be aware of that poo poo, right?

Anyway, hooray for PitchCom til it gets hacked too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

I will never understand baseball signals on the field. Like, 2nd to home is about 130 feet, and even with very good vision it's hard for me to to pick up on all but the most obnoxious signs at that distance. It would be super obvious trying to steal or relay signs, I feel like. Which is why, I guess, it seems so weird that the banging, for example, took so long to notice. Surely someone must be aware of that poo poo, right?

Are you saying how the runner at 2b signals to the batter what the pitch is? Cause that's usually something subtle agreed upon before hand like one hand on your right leg is a fastball or touching your helmet. That's likely what the Red Sox were picking up and figured something was going on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Red Sox got their manager suspended for a season over this, right?

Oh no MLB please don't level the same punishment upon the Yankees I would hate it, I would never recover.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

rickiep00h posted:

Well again everyone DID notice the banging. Boone complained about it in the payoffs. But no one wanted to seriously do anything about it. It only became an issue because Friers took it public, the Athletic ran with it, and Jomboy decoded it in a way everyone could watch and understand.

Inspector_666 posted:

The Red Sox got their manager suspended for a season over this, right?

Oh no MLB please don't level the same punishment upon the Yankees I would hate it, I would never recover.

Cora was suspended for his involvement in the Houston system and the allegation that he brought it to Boston. They just very deliberately didn't really investigate Boston further or reveal anything about who far it did or didn't go. I think they just got a fine for the Apple Watch thing.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 26, 2022

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Between this, the Darvish stuff, and his percipitous drop off the second the league cracked down hard on illegal sign stealing I'm now 100% convinced Yelich was cheating with the Brewers and robbed Javy of the 2018 MVP award. Braun must be proud.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also lmao that the Yankees :qq:'d to the league about the Red Sox illegally stealing signs and then after five minutes of investigation the league was all "uh... you guys are illegally stealing signs too" and the Yanks ended up eating a fine.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yeah it's pretty funny that they were doing the same or at least very similar to what they were asking to have investigated. the footnote shows that all the extra accusations were nothing, though. not really a big deal. would be nice if teams just stole signs normally though

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

confiscate all the ipads the yankees used during their last championship run

oh wait the ipad didn't exist during the yankees last championship run, nevermind

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wasn't the Red Sox stuff about them specifically using Apple Watches?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That’s just a small iPad

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think what's clear here is we need to shut down Apple.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wish all divisions except the NL Central would disappear

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Wasn't the Red Sox stuff about them specifically using Apple Watches?

The Sox were using smart watches to communicate the information, although I assume they were still doing the same kind of decoding relay system the Yankees were and not the direct stealing the Astros were. It seems impractical for each player to be wearing a smart watch and checking it for each pitch. I assume it was the same deal of someone in the video replay room decoding the signs, communicating to the dugout by the watch, and then telling the players how to steal from second. Although I guess the guy at second could be wearing a watch? I don't know.

The Sox accussed the Yankees of using iPads to watch the broadcast in order to steal the signs live in the dugout and then communicate them to the dugout from the bullpen phone. But besides that seeming to take too long the broadcast is on a delay so MLB dismissed it. But they found evidence of the more rudimentary rotation scheme.

I think.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

Cora was suspended for his involvement in the Houston system and the allegation that he brought it to Boston. They just very deliberately didn't really investigate Boston further or reveal anything about who far it did or didn't go. I think they just got a fine for the Apple Watch thing.
No, they investigated Boston

quote:

Major League Baseball has determined that the Red Sox's replay official is primarily to blame for the team's sign-stealing scandal during its 2018 championship season, the league announced Wednesday. The Red Sox will be stripped of their second-round draft pick in 2020, and replay operator J.T. Watkins will be banned through the 2020 playoffs and forbidden to perform replay duties during the 2021 season.

Basically what happened is in 2017 when the league said "stop using electronic devices to steal signs" the Sox interpreted that as meaning using electronic devices to relay stolen signs from the replay room. So they stopped using the Apple Watch, but kept deciphering the signs. Which, it sounds like is what the Yankees were also doing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It is fairly clear that everyone started cheating after 2016 and the Chicago Cubs remain the true champions to this day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

howe_sam posted:

Basically what happened is in 2017 when the league said "stop using electronic devices to steal signs" the Sox interpreted that as meaning using electronic devices to relay stolen signs from the replay room. So they stopped using the Apple Watch, but kept deciphering the signs. Which, it sounds like is what the Yankees were also doing.

My impression is that it was alleged that Cora brought the Houston system to Boston in 2018 and MLB did an investigation and didn't reveal anything worse than the watch/Yankee thing but they also didn't give the player immunity they did to Houston to get them to confess, so there was question if the investigation was done seriously or not. And then Cora was fired by Boston and suspended for his role in the Houston cheating which confused the issue.

So yeah, its just speculation and allegations and the Cora timing as best as I can tell.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

It is fairly clear that everyone started cheating after 2016 and the Chicago Cubs remain the true champions to this day.

:hmmyes:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

three titles in four years :wow: Dodgers truly the team of the decade!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

howe_sam posted:

The Yankees’ “sign stealing” as alleged in this letter happened during the 2015 and 2016 seasons, no later. The 2017-2018 Astros and 2017-2018 Red Sox were investigated because their “sign stealing” occurred after the league specifically addressed it and made it illegal in a rule on September 15, 2017.

This is why

quote:

MLB also stressed in a statement Tuesday that New York did not violate league rules around sign-stealing that existed at the time.

https://theathletic.com/news/yankees-letter-released/RD34OEm8UvG8/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh fair, I meant the techniques being used, not when they were using them sorry.

STAC Goat posted:

My impression is that it was alleged that Cora brought the Houston system to Boston in 2018 and MLB did an investigation and didn't reveal anything worse than the watch/Yankee thing but they also didn't give the player immunity they did to Houston to get them to confess, so there was question if the investigation was done seriously or not.

Uh, no, per the report

quote:

With respect to Red Sox players, at the outset of the investigation, the Commissioner’s Office and the MLBPA agreed that, in return for their cooperation and honesty during their interviews, current and former Red Sox players would not be subject to discipline based on the results of the investigation, and that the names of the current and former Red Sox players who cooperated with the investigation would be kept confidential and not publicly disclosed.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I hope unleashing armageddon was worth it you dicks.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Every team should start cheating with signs imo

Offense needs all the help it can get

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1KRYlNcGs

It takes 8 minutes to show every run the Cubs got on Saturday.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I'm still surprised at how low tech all the sign stealing stuff was. Seems like an automated sign stealing/relay system could be a 10 week undergrad project.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1KRYlNcGs

It takes 8 minutes to show every run the Cubs got on Saturday.

They had a +17 run differential in a series where they went 1-3, lol.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay cool can we move on from this nonsense now? Everyone used dumb low tech nonsense Astros banged cans keeping this conversation going isn't exactly helping the sport out.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Splint Chesthair posted:

They had a +17 run differential in a series where they went 1-3, lol.

It's a little mini 1960 World Series.

Yanks win games by scores of 16-3, 10-0 and 12-0 but you know the rest. +28 run differential gets Mazerowski'd.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Every team should start cheating with signs imo

Offense needs all the help it can get
Dead ball era 2.0

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yo I’m watching a game and do you know the strike zone they use on telecasts from the center field camera ? Did they always adjust the top of the zone based on the height of the particular hitters stance or did I just notice it ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gentlemen

He did it

https://twitter.com/mlbhrvideos/status/1519110085217247234?s=21&t=d4I6sZL_KIMRTjIQ8ZND3A

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe they can trade him now

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just allow sign stealing but you have to make it comically obvious, like a guy in the center field batter's eye with binoculars blasts a shotgun into the air if the catcher signals for a fastball.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

ihatepants posted:

The Yankees’ “sign stealing” as alleged in this letter happened during the 2015 and 2016 seasons, no later. The 2017-2018 Astros and 2017-2018 Red Sox were investigated because their “sign stealing” occurred after the league specifically addressed it and made it illegal in a rule on September 15, 2017.

This is why

https://theathletic.com/news/yankees-letter-released/RD34OEm8UvG8/

Waiting for the same statement regarding McGwire and andro...

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am surprised I haven’t seen more articles on the pitch calling tech MLB now allows. Funny enough one of the biggest complaints about it by the Brewer staff is some pitchers don’t like seeing the pitch call right away versus the traditional after they do their little post pitch routine and ready to look at the catcher.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

Okay cool can we move on from this nonsense now? Everyone used dumb low tech nonsense Astros banged cans keeping this conversation going isn't exactly helping the sport out.
Astros fans don’t get to decide when this particular horse is dead enough sorry

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember as a kid watching the little league world series and there was a kid on 2nd, catcher signals for 2, kid on 2nd throws up peace signs for his batter to see. After that, the coaches came out and complained about it.

I want a player to do that again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs lost but Ethan Roberts did strike out the side, and I'd just like to highlight that this kid throws a goddamn wiffleball.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1519126399293947904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tony Phillips posted:

It's a little mini 1960 World Series.

Yanks win games by scores of 16-3, 10-0 and 12-0 but you know the rest. +28 run differential gets Mazerowski'd.

2001 Series was almost - almost! - a +28 for the loser as well. Dbacks had ourscored the Yankees 35-17, then Rivera came in, yadda yadda yadda 1960 is still the record.