Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, first episode was real good but I'm glad they made use of the camera setups to make it clear what year a lot of the scenes were taking place in.

The opening sequence being Berenthal waxing poetic about how useless police brutality is as a policing tool cutting immediately to him smashing that poor bastard's bottle out of his hands (in the magic brown paper bag too! :gonk:) was just fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Who else yelled "Yooooooo Poot!" When he turned up

Edit: Anwan Glover had me stumped for a while lol.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 26, 2022

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
drat this show is way denser and faster than The Wire. Just throws you into the world with no hand holding. Good premiere but I'm going to have to watch it again more closely.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
This is definitely one of those shows you have to watch multiple times to catch everything. (But I wouldn't expect any less)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Dang, the corner boys went to the darkside with Poot in a task force and Marlo in Homicide

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Well it’s a lateral move for the second

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Rollos posted:

drat this show is way denser and faster than The Wire. Just throws you into the world with no hand holding. Good premiere but I'm going to have to watch it again more closely.

Yea it definitely feels like it's going to be a heck of a ride. They really did not waste any time getting the story going, and it's a really crazy story. I've read a couple articles about it here and there, I'm really looking forward to seeing it explored here. The people involved in making this couldn't be better suited either, it really is a dream-team for the subject matter.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Forgive the dumb question, but there were just the two timelines going on in the first episode, right? 20015 and 2017?

Edit - trying to go over actors from the episode (or in upcoming episodes per imdb) that were also in The Wire and my wife has admitted that her memory of The Wire doesn't go that much past "Stringer Bell and Omar"

On the upside, guess who just found a perfect excuse to do another run through The Wire?

Fake edit : she's remembering more now, but when I just sent her a picture of Robert Chew she said "I've never seen that man in my life."

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 26, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tony Phillips posted:

Forgive the dumb question, but there were just the two timelines going on in the first episode, right? 2015 and 2017?

Yep, as far as I can see. I'm not a fan of time-period switching generally, but in this case it does a good job of showing Jenkins with the swagger at the end of his time leading the GTTF juxtaposed against the earlier years.

I like that this show, like The Wire, is one we have to pay attention to. There is almost always some kind of indicator for what year the audience is in, like years on camera footage or people referencing the 2016 election.

random edit, but: That first scene with Hersl had some real "No Country for Old Men" suspense vibes with Chigurh and the gas station owner, with the audience wondering how bad the violence is going to be, only to be surprised with none at all. . For anyone who saw Boardwalk Empire, season 3's introduction of Gyp Rosetti beating a dude to death with a tire iron is a great example of the same kind of thing, but with infinitely poorer writing.

double edit: I love the little details like Anderson using a turn signal to leave the parking lot but the cops just barrel-assing into it before the raid on his apartment. And it's shot like they're Omar and the stickup boys in The Wire. This isn't season six, but it's a great companion piece.

for the unprecedented triple-edit: I mentioned that there's some Training Day vibes in the shots, but there's also a True Detective vibe (which for my money was overwrought but still had some pretty great scenes made great because they were unique at the time). This show isn't nearly as ham-handed, but I know those shots have to be an intentional reference.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 26, 2022

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Definitely going to be rewatching this a couple of times.

E. Slim Charles is back as well.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Syrian Lannister posted:

E. Slim Charles is back as well.

Yeah, got a nice smile on my face when I saw him show up.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
That one officer that Carver dresses down makes an appearance too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dude that got robbed and had the cops rush up on him at the motel, was that the kid with the dinks in Prezbo’s class?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I gotta admit, I was initially hesitant on the casting of Bernthal as Jenkins but he's nailing it. The accent is pretty solid too, but Bernthal grew up in DC so it would make sense that he's able to pull it off.

Did anyone else read the book? Really appreciating that the show is laying the tracks for the rampant OT fraud these guys pulled off.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
this is great television, i love the really stupid face bernthal makes at the end of the episode. it is beautiful

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It'll be interesting to see where this is building to, so far it's pretty good.

Small thing but I think someone just discovered text transitions in Windows Movie Maker before doing the end credits. What was that?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
My brain is chuckling at Police Commissioner Jay Landsman.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This dude was in the Wire too, as a low level hired gun, IIRC.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2888524/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t12

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

deoju posted:

Specifically, Marlo's goon that gets shot in the leg trying to take out Omar.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
That's who I thought that was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2nd episode of We Own This City did a great job breaking down how the lovely behavior/practices keep being passed down through the police ranks. I also loved that line about why would you think Sergeants and Lieutenants are immune to corruption when they have to put in all that extra admin work but get no overtime? The rot is present from top to bottom, and even the supposedly more ethical guys like the Acting Commissioner are all too eager to jump on a PR opportunity to finish building a fence as if that in any way makes up for a loved one being murdered.

Threw this behind spoiler tags for those who haven't caught it yet.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 4, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Great episode. I like the effect of the timeskips especially with the caliber of acting but I'm not sure it was the best way to tell this story -- showing a chronological slide into corruption would've been better than hopping from 2017 to 2015 to 2003-5. But I'll wait until the series is over to make a final judgement on that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think it works really well in regards to Bernthal, the jump between fresh-faced rookie, the quick shift into being willing to take shortcuts and going with the flow of obviously awful police practices, the utter arrogance of him at the height of his powers and then the quiet desperation of realizing maybe he's NOT going to get out of this work really well when you can see them in quick succession.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
How quickly Bernthal went from being the rookie to instructing the next rookie in the ways of the thin blue gang sure was something.

I feel like some of the scenes with the DOJ civil rights unit are just a little too much "this is what we, the writers, think is wrong with BPD policing". Mixed in with "not ALL cops".

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

I feel like some of the scenes with the DOJ civil rights unit are just a little too much "this is what we, the writers, think is wrong with BPD policing". Mixed in with "not ALL cops".

There are definitely some writer surrogates in the wire who are sometimes a bit didactic (especially on rewatch). See: Colvin, Gus.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That's definitely a staple of most David Simon shows when he is involved. You can usually tell when a character is just soapboxing for the writers. It used to bother me since I don't like being taken out of things like that, but I realize they usually have a specific message they want to get across and the last 20 years have probably proved out that they need to be blunt with their messaging. It also helps having someone for the audience to identify with when going "do you believe this poo poo?"

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Great episode. I like the effect of the timeskips especially with the caliber of acting but I'm not sure it was the best way to tell this story -- showing a chronological slide into corruption would've been better than hopping from 2017 to 2015 to 2003-5. But I'll wait until the series is over to make a final judgement on that.

I've adjusted pretty well

2003-5: poo poo was always hosed up
2015: specific poo poo was hosed up
2017: consequences (if any) of the specific fuckups

I'm at least following characters okay even if I'm hosed for names for half of them. Marlo and Poot are just Marlo and Poot.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I've adjusted pretty well

2003-5: poo poo was always hosed up
2015: specific poo poo was hosed up
2017: consequences (if any) of the specific fuckups

I'm at least following characters okay even if I'm hosed for names for half of them. Marlo and Poot are just Marlo and Poot.

I've been loving Jamie Hector as the very un-Marlo detective suitor. Probably my second favorite performance after Bernthal.

This show has the Wire's fingerprints all over it so much that I was a little taken aback when they name dropped O'Malley this episode in the '03 timeline. Makes sense obviously since this version of Baltimore is based on a non-fiction book. I wonder if Simon were to re-do The Wire if he would drop the pseudonymous characters and use real public figures. Maybe you still couldn't get away with depicting a real mayor cheating on his wife while looking at himself in the mirror.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I like how it shows why changes in cadet training just aren't enough.

First day on the job: "Remember all that poo poo they taught you? gently caress that poo poo, this is Baltimore."

Easy as that.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Randallteal posted:

I've been loving Jamie Hector as the very un-Marlo detective suitor. Probably my second favorite performance after Bernthal.

This is my favorite thing that David Simon does, having his actors play opposite roles in different shows to really show their range. But even with characters with similar roles, like Landsman in The Wire and Davis here, you can tell they're different people. The chief isn't the jolly prick Landsman was. It's still Delaney Williams, but it got easy quick seeing Davis and not Landsman. I know they're actors and all, it's their job, but it's an especially neat trick given how iconic their characters were in The Wire.

edit: the timeskips aren't especially hard to follow (they're pretty well signposted), and they do a great job showcasing e.g. 2003 Jenkins vs. 2017 Jenkins, but my kneejerk reaction is to say that the 2003-5 section feels like it would've been better at the beginning of the show (or at the end of it, Godfather-style). As it is, the skips don't seem to establish a pattern, so I get this "time-skip for the gently caress of it" sense I got from that lovely new version of The Stand.

But we're only two episodes in so this is mostly just me talking out of my rear end. I think this show might've been better released all at once instead of weekly. I'm sure on a binge-watch, which I absolutely plan to do once I can, it'll all come together like The Wire did.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 3, 2022

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Barber using McNulty's "The patrolling officer on his beat is the one true dictatorship in America" justification after arresting every person on a humble was a great other side of the coin moment for Wire watchers.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Barber using McNulty's "The patrolling officer on his beat is the one true dictatorship in America" justification after arresting every person on a humble was a great other side of the coin moment for Wire watchers.

I've been thinking about that line a lot lately for some reason and I'm glad they brought it up lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Randallteal posted:

This show has the Wire's fingerprints all over it so much that I was a little taken aback when they name dropped O'Malley this episode in the '03 timeline. Makes sense obviously since this version of Baltimore is based on a non-fiction book. I wonder if Simon were to re-do The Wire if he would drop the pseudonymous characters and use real public figures. Maybe you still couldn't get away with depicting a real mayor cheating on his wife while looking at himself in the mirror.

Nah, I think Tommy Carcetti works better as a fictional character than if he was literally written as O'Malley. Especially since Carcetti is a more complex character imo

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My first experience with O'Malley was during the debate with Hilldog and Sanders I think? The guy was a black hole of charisma, like every line of his came out like something from the Action Al Gore doll in old Simpsons.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Dude was an inferior John Edwards clone

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Athanatos posted:

Yeah I loved that call back.

Also loved seeing Santangelo show up even if only for a couple of minutes. A lot of the secondary actors from The Wire were just so loving good at chewing the scenery and it's great seeing some of them have bigger roles here.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The dude who played Savino, another copover actor in this, went method.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love (and hate!) the scene where Jenkins shows up and starts wailing on the leg of a suspect only to discover it was a fellow officer wearing non-regulation shoes, and he immediately is apologetic and admitting that he hits really hard so he's worried about possibly having hurt his fellow cop etc.... with it being made all but explicit that delivering the same level of violence/pain/possible injury to a suspect is not even remotely a concern for him or any of the other cops.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I gotta say I just love the concept of a humble though.

It's just the epitome of rules-fuckery in a system where civil rights are a punchline. The checks-and-balances system gives a lot of leeway to police officers to arrest and charge people, but then if it turns out the charge is poo poo the DA will come in and drop them quickly and wow look the system works, you were protected from government overreach! Except the DA, like everything else, is understaffed so that poo poo might take a while, and there is absolutely no consequences for a police officer arresting hundreds or even thousands of people on charges that don't pass even the slightest bit of scrutiny. And everyone knows it, so their bosses all the way up to the politicians abuse this "loophole" to the maximum extent. If they had the manpower and holding capacity then technically they could arrest and lock up the entire city every single night and call it freedom.

Except ok, rich white people wouldn't stand for being arrested, so you need to find a way to only arrest poor black people without explicitly arresting only poor black people. But no problem, you just gotta create a reason that isn't "arresting you for being black" on its face and the whole system will pretend you are not racist. So uhh, just designate all the areas that poor black people live in (and only those areas) as "high crime areas" and now you're targeting people based on that designation rather than their skincolour so no racism to see here.

There is a real beauty to the legal fuckery. It just makes such a perfect mockery of the very idea of justice and equality under the law that I can't help but see anyone trying to change that poo poo from the inside as a clown. This whole system was carefully designed from the ground up to perpetuate racism and the interests of the ruling class and you think you can use that very same system to protect common folk, especially minorities from the ruling class? Get real.

It is their world and we're all living in it.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

deoju posted:

gently caress you mean low level? How you gonna disrespect O-Dog like that?