Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fritz posted:

same dude:

chrismeller 77 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Ask HN: Who has moved from the U.S. to Europe?

3- There is a huge language barrier. Even in Tallinn, and places you would kind of expect to be better about it, like a big pharmacy chain, you’ll routinely (read: daily) have issues if you don’t speak Estonian or Russian. I’ve also had people just get annoyed and throw up their hands and stop helping me if I speak English. They calm down and come back… most of the time. I’ve even considered moving to Helsinki (80km north) just to live in a society that doesn’t glare when you say “hello”.

The one good thing about the US is that you can walk into any pharmacy and get great service in Estonian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

foxyv 2 days ago | root | parent | next [–]

I think, when you are over 80, safety becomes much less important to yourself and much more important to others. Taking a risk as an 80 year old isn't a big deal because you are staring death in the face anyways. All of a sudden your priorities change.

However, when we see old folks, a lot of us rightfully want to protect them. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to be treated like a Ming Vase when you just want to live life as much as possible in the few years left to you.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Qwertycoatl posted:

5. The elites have somehow inverted history so they now believe that it is not censorship that is the favored tool of fascists and authoritarians, even though every fascist and despot in history used censorship to maintain power, but instead believe free speech, free discourse, and free thought are the instruments of repression.

censorship is when a corporation does a minor board restructuring

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Penisface posted:

its not bitcoins, what happened in estonia this winter was a little bit like texas - a LOT of people got bitten by being on a spot price plan

idk exactly whats the root cause but regular energy prices went up like 2x even here in paris. it’s probably to do with russia messing with natgas price even before they did the invasion

re: that guys other complaints about estonia. he’s definitely right about people being rude and not accepting foreigners and having a “go home if you don’t like it” vibe sometimes
otoh yeah you will pay a premium in any country if you don’t speak the local languages
i am willing to bet his take home is still pretty good considering that healthcare is free :)

Going with spot price plans is the same sort of thinking as bitcoiners, so it still counts. :colbert:

Also I live in EE, and with my prices going up something like 60%, working from home since and my electric bill is ~1.5k czk per month, so ~60 eur. I can't imagine what I would have to do to get it to 10x that.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Penisface posted:

re: that guys other complaints about estonia. he’s definitely right about people being rude and not accepting foreigners and having a “go home if you don’t like it” vibe sometimes
otoh yeah you will pay a premium in any country if you don’t speak the local languages
i am willing to bet his take home is still pretty good considering that healthcare is free :)

i'm sure the guy's sparkling personality & magnetic charisma isn't the problem.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Electoral Surgery posted:

oxff 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]
I think we should just throw away the kernel entirely, but I understand why they're looking at Rust.

:eyepop:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ultravoices posted:

i'm sure the guy's sparkling personality & magnetic charisma isn't the problem.

well he’s posting these takes on hn…

on the other hand the situation with racism, tolerance, lgbtq+ issues is not good to the point of estonians themselves leaving the country in droves. we definitely have a problem with people being baseline decent to each other. it’s improving but we’re probably 20 years behind the developed western world on some issues

this also may partly be a medical problem since sunlight really gets scarce during winter but the average estonian is simply too badass to take vitamin d supplements so the whole country goes through a period of increasing depression and surliness once a year, and this angst is primarily vented upon each other with predictable results

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mrjangles 5 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

>how modern work for a lot of jobs has become de facto indentured servitude...The average worker can't afford anything without taking on debt.
For people from other countries wondering about the veracity of these claims, let's take an example: The typical lovely job everyone on here complains about is working at an amazon warehouse. This is a job people with no skills take on. They pay 15 USD an hour. In other currencies that is 42k a year AUD or 2390 Euros a month. (the cost of living is roughly the same in these places).
I'll leave you to decide whether this is "slavery" and whether they "can't afford anything" or whether Americans are just so rich they are out of touch with reality.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'll just post this quote from the article that comment was on:

quote:

OK, so here’s something you won’t hear from other woe-is-me poor people articles: on average (note the italics and the bolds indicating I really hope you read carefully here) low-skill workers are worse in a lot of ways than high-skilled people. Everybody in the low-pay world knows someone who is working a low-pay job who seems like they deserve much, much more, who holds the whole company together and who has just had a lot of bad luck.

But for every one of those ill-fated wunderkinds, there are a dozen people where you look at their situation and go “yup, that makes sense”. There are tons of people for whom employability in any capacity at any pay is surprising; there are people who are always, always about to fly off the handle. $15 an hour IT guy is trying his hardest, God bless him, but there’s a reason he’s that and not $30 an hour network engineer.

If you are $120k a year SE and play your cards right, you can sometimes maneuver into a situation where your coworkers aren’t just competent-on-average but actively bright, sometimes brilliant people. At $35k, usually you are trying to identify the one other person in the office who also got unlucky so you can be friends with someone who isn’t getting remarried a month after their fourth divorce.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

mrjangles 5 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

>how modern work for a lot of jobs has become de facto indentured servitude...The average worker can't afford anything without taking on debt.
For people from other countries wondering about the veracity of these claims, let's take an example: The typical lovely job everyone on here complains about is working at an amazon warehouse. This is a job people with no skills take on. They pay 15 USD an hour. In other currencies that is 42k a year AUD or 2390 Euros a month. (the cost of living is roughly the same in these places).
I'll leave you to decide whether this is "slavery" and whether they "can't afford anything" or whether Americans are just so rich they are out of touch with reality.

this "cost of living is roughly the same" is leaving out two key points probably, the first being healthcare

The Australian health system posted:

Medicare and the public hospital system provide free or low-cost access for all Australians to most of these health care services. Private health insurance gives you choice outside the public system. For private health care both in and out of hospital, you contribute towards the cost of your health care.
https://www.health.gov.au/about-us/the-australian-health-system

and the second being that you can't really average cost of living across such a huge and diverse country as the united states

anyway i am sure all the tent cities (also in ireland, iirc) are full of people who are really into the hustle mindset, aiming for that early retirement

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that looks like they're assuming you wouldn't be ground into dust after a year of working an hourly warehouse job for 40 hours a week continuously

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
that sounds dangerously close to suggesting that there may be systemic causes for things rather than just individuals being bad people

mystes
May 31, 2006

azth 11 hours ago | undown | parent | next [–]

You're not going to be put in prison "for being gay". As long as you're not engaging in homosexual sex and publicizing it, or spreading the ideology the law is not coming after you.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I wonder where they hid their time machine from 20 years ago

mystes
May 31, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

I wonder where they hid their time machine from 20 years ago
Unfortunately it's actually their teleporter from present day UAE

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

mystes posted:

Unfortunately it's actually their teleporter from present day UAE

time tunnel to america in 2025

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

twofornone 40 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

>First off, brownwashing isn't a thing

Black vikings? Black dwarves and brown elves in LOTR? Black Little Mermaid? When this sort of denial is done on good faith, is it a subconscious resolution of cognitive dissonance?

>I mean, there are criticisms to be made about tampering with IP for the sake of sales...simple economics

This would be believable, except people in these same social circles, power structures to use their own parlance, are also clamouring for "representation" of "marginalized communities" in media (i.e. brown people and LGBT), independent of any economic arguments.

i am real mad about historically inaccurate vikings. also historically accurate uh... high fantasy dwarves and elves, and folk fantasy mermaids. those _have_ to be white! it's a settled fact of fantasy biology! i am especially mad that there is no explicit profit motive for these transgressions!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i am real mad about historically inaccurate vikings. also historically accurate uh... high fantasy dwarves and elves, and folk fantasy mermaids. those _have_ to be white! it's a settled fact of fantasy biology! i am especially mad that there is no explicit profit motive for these transgressions!

In fantasy you may only represent POC metaphorically in the form of evil orcs and uruk'hai. All the good characters must be white.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

lobsterminator posted:

In fantasy you may only represent POC metaphorically in the form of evil orcs and uruk'hai. All the good characters must be white.

but not TOO white, that's for changelings and robots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVdTRPfDLQA

mystes
May 31, 2006

walkhour 18 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

> the husband beating his wife behind closed doors without repercussions

Families were much bigger back then. The extended family was always around. Communities were much tighter and actually existed.

I think you don't have a good understanding of those times if you think women could be beaten around without repercussions, and honestly, thinking women are so helpless smells of sexism.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

mystes posted:

walkhour 18 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

> the husband beating his wife behind closed doors without repercussions

Families were much bigger back then. The extended family was always around. Communities were much tighter and actually existed.

I think you don't have a good understanding of those times if you think women could be beaten around without repercussions, and honestly, thinking women are so helpless smells of sexism.

I made a joke thread where a guy reads "The Man Who Killed Hitler" and concludes that the true hero of WW2 is this mysterious vigilante Adolph H. That was the worst premise I could think of, and the HN guy just exceeded my wildest imagination

Edit: used the wrong name, jfc, meant the HN guy

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 25, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

gently caress, I meant the Hacker News guy was dumb, not the goon. Literally the opposite of what I meant to say.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Re: Musk buying Twitter and (potentially) making it a freeze peach platform:

h2odragon 4 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Yaknow, I've helped build sites for Nazis and furries and fisting fans and others who were not anticipating a broad welcome; and their boards were remarkably civil places. Even with the inevitable and never ending "yall are sinners and need jesus" crews such places attract.

Just maybe its the enforcement of orthodoxy that makes "content moderation" so toxic?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
when you create a discussion space that pre-filters everyone so strongly that essentially every participant has identical ideology, it's pretty easy for them all to be civil with each other

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the nazis were very nice to me though (I am also a nazi)

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
x_young 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I think removing Trump was an objectively positive move for a number of reasons, but Twitter’s bottom line isn’t one of them.
Wouldn't Trump tweets drive a bunch of traffic and therefore ad revenue to the platform? Seems like an obvious move just from a business sense.

what even is objective positivity?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

epitaph posted:

x_young 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

I think removing Trump was an objectively positive move for a number of reasons, but Twitter’s bottom line isn’t one of them.
Wouldn't Trump tweets drive a bunch of traffic and therefore ad revenue to the platform? Seems like an obvious move just from a business sense.

what even is objective positivity?

Ehhh I'll let that phrasing slide because while the outcome is relative to the observers, you do need a common definition of terms of what "positive" and "negative" are in terms of outcomes to talk about a "positive outcome" in the first place. And if you have those common definitions then you can assess objectively whether they fit that metric or not

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
AussieWog93 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

>Moderation is a hard issue

Moderation is a solved problem. Replace the entire team with dang. Bam. Good forum.

edit:
ekianjo 39 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

> Replace the entire team with dang
Train AI model based on HN moderation by dang

Sell high quality moderation as a service for other plaforms

Profit?

edit 2: that second post just made me realize that in the world of qntm's Lena they absolutely would brain scan dang and force digital replicas of him to do moderation for all eternity, and that dang would absolutely be an early volunteer that wouldn't realize the implications until it was too late

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 26, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ask HN: What good does running Twitter have to do with getting to mars?
7 points by cphoover 14 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 14 comments
It has been said that Elon Musk makes all decisions through the prism of whether that decision get's humans closer to having self-sustaining life on mars, or to "make life multi-planetary".

How the hell does taking on the burden of managing a social media company factor into those goals

mystes
May 31, 2006

On an article about a report about Harvard university staff having owned slaves:

car_analogy 12 hours ago | next [–]

> Harvard is among the latest major universities to engage in a public reckoning with their role in slavery

Since Harvard is in Massachusetts, which was part of the Union, will the "role in slavery" that they're "publicly reckoning with" include the Union's bloody war against slavery and their own kin? Perhaps a big monument to all the dead and killed, to all the contributions Harvard and those connected to it made to the war, to which an annual ceremony of gratitude could be given?

Or will we only remember connections to slavery, not against? Sacrifice and good deeds get forgotten, profit and evil deeds remembered forever - if and only if the culprit is a designated oppressor, of course.

tszymczyszyn 8 hours ago | prev [–]

Why does nobody remember the role in slavery of Africans, Arabs, Asians, and other ethnic groups?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr.Radar posted:

... in the world of qntm's Lena ...

pro click, that.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

pro click, that.

this rules Mr. Radar, and the "walking simulator" game SOMA is actually a deeply disturbing meditation on this hosed up future. if someone has a good link to explain it then I'll edit this post, because this is "that" kind of game (e.g. Pathologic, Dark Souls, The Stanley Parable) where everyone writes analysis videos at least 30 minutes long

the best episode of Black Mirror, "White Christmas", plays out the idea of rich people recording their minds into a "cookie" for the sole purpose of managing their overly-minimalist smarthome. Rick & Morty did this with the toaster but they didn't dwell on the existential horror and innate evil of wealth. Or the idea that Jon Ham is paid to "train" them by speeding up the CPU and waiting months of experienced time, because when they're abused they work harder.

this short clip is some dude analyzing it because I couldn't find a real upload of the scene. spoilers, and it's so short that you might want to watch the real episode on Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcU-GtucLw

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

like, at least the Altered Carbon backups could gently caress each other

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Mr.Radar posted:

edit 2: that second post just made me realize that in the world of qntm's Lena they absolutely would brain scan dang and force digital replicas of him to do moderation for all eternity, and that dang would absolutely be an early volunteer that wouldn't realize the implications until it was too late

dang sowing: this rules
dang reaping: wow this sucks this really loving sucks

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i know that n-gate made it edgy and cool, but i'm always baffled at the occasional hner who is still tilting at the HTTPS windmill for... reasons... ?

perryizgr8 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Why would you need SSL/HTTPS for a casual game like this?

perryizgr8 52 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

> Because plenty of unscrupulous ISPs and governments log unencrypted web traffic.
Ok. Not relevant here. I don't care if my ISP knows I'm learning SELinux. And they would know that even with HTTPS.

> Some ISPs use that information for advertising, or inject custom javascript into unencrypted web pages

Sounds like an ISP problem. Buy service from a better one. No need to impose SSL on the website for this.

> HTTPS is free

Absolutely not. It takes time and effort to set up. And then maintain forever. Plus you're introducing an unnecessary dependency on multiple third parties.

> HTTPS is fast

HTTP is faster.

perryizgr8 55 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

Lots of things are free. Doesn't mean you need to do them. The burden of justification lies on the people advocating for adding complexity and dependency to a simple system.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
all of those points are accurate and correct, https doesn't need to be everywhere, and it isn't free

if you use a free provider, you still have to spend the time setting it up, and keeping your os and everything up to date constantly because the major free ones only issue certs for 3 months and if your os is eol'd you're basically poo poo out of luck outside of doing it manually

there's a significant portion of the web that is no longer accessible to older clients because of the push to disable everything except tls 1.3 and non-support of normal http

maybe the hn is coming from inside the thread, but if i want to set up a simple funy website, i should not need to constantly be monitoring the pulse of the security world to keep it accessible

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

all of those points are accurate and correct, https doesn't need to be everywhere, and it isn't free

if you use a free provider, you still have to spend the time setting it up, and keeping your os and everything up to date constantly because the major free ones only issue certs for 3 months and if your os is eol'd you're basically poo poo out of luck outside of doing it manually

there's a significant portion of the web that is no longer accessible to older clients because of the push to disable everything except tls 1.3 and non-support of normal http

maybe the hn is coming from inside the thread, but if i want to set up a simple funy website, i should not need to constantly be monitoring the pulse of the security world to keep it accessible
If you aren't keeping your software up to date, your "simple funny website" has already been hacked and is serving malware.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Zamujasa posted:

This is stupid.

You owe it to people visiting your site to not participate in insecure behavior that enables drive-by traffic sniffing and content injection, just like I owe you the same thing.

Automated TLS certs are a solved problem in the standard case. If you think the effort of handing Caddy or Traefik three lines of configuration is too much, go use Squarespace.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i set up letsencrypt certbot on my thing and its been trucking along for more than a year now without major janitorial needs and this includes the time i had to reinstall the whole os because i got a new sd card for the pi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Zamujasa posted:

here come's silicon valley ready to sell you a life-long, non-cancelable subscription to their exciting new ad-supported, data-mined service: http.ly