Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

is there a SLGBIP and if so is it pronounced "slugbip", tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are GIDP rates up across the board? LAD hit into 5 of them last night and the Cubs where on pace to set some ridiculous record. I couldn't find a single rate but it looks like most teams are on pace to be well above the average last year.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Are GIDP rates up across the board? LAD hit into 5 of them last night and the Cubs where on pace to set some ridiculous record. I couldn't find a single rate but it looks like most teams are on pace to be well above the average last year.

I dunno a good denominator for a GIDP rate, but GIDP/PA is pretty consistent season-over-season. Just looking since 2000, OBP is at its lowest point ever though, so maintaining GDP rates when there are fewer people on base to double off would indicate that the rate is actually up.

Also lol leaguewide OPS is literally .675, what the absolute gently caress is going on

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Poque posted:

I dunno a good denominator for a GIDP rate, but GIDP/PA is pretty consistent season-over-season. Just looking since 2000, OBP is at its lowest point ever though, so maintaining GDP rates when there are fewer people on base to double off would indicate that the rate is actually up.

Also lol leaguewide OPS is literally .675, what the absolute gently caress is going on

MLB hosed with the ball again, but we need a juiced ball for hitting to have any chance right now

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I've been watching the #1 offense by wRC+, the Seattle Mariners, and I haven't noticed anything strange about this season.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Do the Red Sox still lead MLB in chase rate for bad pitches

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’ve seen so many balls that get crushed and look like dingers off the bat and die two steps from the wall this season.

Are there launch angle and exit velocity splits available yet? Looking up averages by month May be interesting.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 27, 2022

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Poque posted:

last years was .728 I think? looked it up last night for some reason

ball dead and also still slippery

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nodoze posted:

Do the Red Sox still lead MLB in chase rate for bad pitches

Yes, and they're last in batters BB%. There's a lot wrong with their offense so far. But that barrels thing was particularly frustrating because even when they're good they're bad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh boy.

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/1519162056871759883?s=20&t=ypQmxZ2NYL0_Zdf9XQeLSw

Also Bassitt when 6IP, 2H, 3BB, 6K so I shudder to think what he'll be like with the control he would want.

Turn up the drama dial!

https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1519334070534213638
https://twitter.com/jmjones/status/1519334440891265024

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Late to the discussion but it seems to me the best way to eliminate sign-stealing is to require pitchers to scream the pitch they’re about to throw like it’s Dragon Ball Z.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pitchers seem like giant babies.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Niwrad posted:

Pitchers seem like giant babies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’ve seen so many balls that get crushed and look like dingers off the bat and die two steps from the wall this season.

Are there launch angle and exit velocity splits available yet? Looking up averages by month May be interesting.

This has happened almost half a dozen times to Jesse Winker already.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1519339905922772992

Dang, sucks for the kid. Hopefully his draft stock doesn't tumble too hard.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

It wonder how much longer it'll be when all young pitchers routinely get TJ

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

lol leaguewide HBP numbers are way up but sure, the ball is juuuuust the same as ever

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I knew as soon as Rizzo went to the Yankees that he was gonna love that short porch in right at Yankee Stadium.
Oh hell yes. Gallo will too, once he gets himself right, or whatever "right" looks like for a career .205 hitter.

As soon as they made those trades last year, just seeing power bats in that box in pinstripes gave me crazy Bernie/Tino/O'Neill fuzzies.

howe_sam posted:

Yes, and they're last in batters BB%. There's a lot wrong with their offense so far. But that barrels thing was particularly frustrating because even when they're good they're bad.
Are barrels barrels, or is a barrel on a bad pitch a lower expected BA than a barrel on a good pitch?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Someone said something about rubbing up the balls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sfHOKHHwC0

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So to recap, the ball is dead and doesn't fly as far. It is also slippery so pitchers can't grip it well.

In Manfred's infinite wisdom, he has produced a baseball that is loathed by both hitters AND pitchers.

Great sport!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They used this ball mixed in last year and the pitchers didn't have that complaint.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
MLB using the tried and true method of changing 15 variables at once and trying to figure out why it didn't do what you wanted.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

NPB stays winning

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

They used this ball mixed in last year and the pitchers didn't have that complaint.

Every stadium now has a humidor which isn't helping things

MLB is also probably using two sets of balls again, the 2021 and a new 2022 ball

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Every stadium now has a humidor which isn't helping things

MLB is also probably using two sets of balls again, the 2021 and a new 2022 ball

The Athletic had a report on this the other day and they are only using one set, all from the same production run and there are not supposed to be any changes to it from last season's ball. They came to the conclusion that its quite possibly the humidor that's deadening the ball:

the athletic posted:

We can see immediately from this table that there is some sort of interaction between the humidor and the ball when it comes to batted ball distance. Barrels are coming up two feet short in stadiums that had a humidor last season, so it’s not all humidor. But barrels are coming up 10 feet short in stadiums that just installed a humidor this past offseason.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
just lol they're loving baseballs not macanudos

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

we don't really know what ball they used because they're so loving opaque about the process, maybe the ball has similar drag/corr to one of the two they used last year but a different surface finish

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Athletic had a report on this the other day and they are only using one set, all from the same production run and there are not supposed to be any changes to it from last season's ball. They came to the conclusion that its quite possibly the humidor that's deadening the ball:
there is no "last season's ball" they used two different balls last year and not just because they used leftover 2020 balls, they manufactured two distinct balls in 2021

https://twitter.com/Bbl_Astrophyscs/status/1518966794379169792

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Cards and Mets should have just had a bench clearing fistfight and been done with it imo

Would have been safer than a drat ball to the head

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The comish's office is the source for the one ball theory and I assume everything Manfred says at this point is a lie

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I trust the astrophysicist baseball fan who's studied hundreds of recent balls in a lab more than MLB press releases

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Imagine how low the numbers would be if pitchers still had to bat

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The comish's office is the source for the one ball theory and I assume everything Manfred says at this point is a lie

2 balls 1 commish

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

bawfuls posted:

So to recap, the ball is dead and doesn't fly as far. It is also slippery so pitchers can't grip it well.

In Manfred's infinite wisdom, he has produced a baseball that is loathed by both hitters AND pitchers.

Great sport!

perfectly balanced (until a batter eats a 100 mile an hour fastball in the teeth)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jeez, the Astros being where they are on the chart and yet still hitting so poorly is not great

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Mariners are higher than I expected, considering how unlucky Winker has been in this exact situation

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Sounds like Acuña will be back for the Mets then. https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1519413764550017024?s=21&t=qW55_uU3bUk51xQp0mSlVw

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

JINX
https://twitter.com/abaseballchick/status/1519376365925003264?s=20&t=piubfxjCf4Am6fOY3LTRcQ

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Disclaimer - the Angels are currently playing Cleveland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Gausman has looked really good in a Jays uniform. Sometimes, I have to double check and make sure this is the same guy that I saw in Baltimore.