Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just use jellyfin and run the client app on my tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

also, lol at the "this works for me, so nobody ought to need anything else" concept that's invaded linux

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mystes posted:

I just use jellyfin and run the client app on my tv

Same

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
updated to F36 and other than a quick touch /.autorelabel && reboot (I have some odd policies on my workstation that most people won’t have) everything worked perfect.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the lesser known cousin of "works for me op" posting, the "doesn't work for me, but my setup is too advanced for most people" post

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the lesser known cousin of "works for me op" posting, the "doesn't work for me, but my setup is too advanced for most people" post

Nah, I have a bunch of custom poo poo that was a bad idea years ago and i'm too lazy to fix lol. Fedora SHOULD add a /.autorelabel automatically when updating the system, but meh.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
my fedora install likes to occasionally freeze up for two minutes when restored from sleep in the morning.

i had a quick look through the logs, turns out that's caused by the weekly scheduled fstrim job

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

my fedora install likes to occasionally freeze up for two minutes when restored from sleep in the morning.

i had a quick look through the logs, turns out that's caused by the weekly scheduled fstrim job

My work laptop likes to do this because the nvidia driver is awful. I want to use just the integrated graphics, but if I do that I lose external display support. Luckily, I don't use my work provided laptop often.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

my hobby server doesn't do that, because i do not let the accursed gui packages foul its serverly grace

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

carry on then posted:

my hobby server doesn't do that, because i do not let the accursed gui packages foul its serverly grace

I use recoll on my server, which indexes the text in documents and lets you search for phrases. It has a GUI and a command line version. There are actually separate packages for both versions and a "recoll" package that installs both packages. I didn't know this at first and installed the "recoll" package on my command line only server.

The web of GUI dependencies that the GUI version has is so huge and tangled that it somehow went and installed wpasupplicant and the avahi daemon on my server that had no need for either of those things. I guess you wouldn't notice normally because the Debian desktop comes with both of those in the standard package list but it was annoying realizing how much cruft ended up on my server

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Probably not a hard dependency but a "recommends" dependency. That system usually works to pull in packages that aren't strictly necessary but that you'd want to install anyway, but it can lead to some weirdness if you're pulling a desktop package into a non-desktop system.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like linux, to my shame

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
yeah me too and it loving sucks

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i like linux and i dont care who knows it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Linux makes me the figgies. As such, I hate Linux with every bone in my body, but will continue to use it because I like figgies.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I like Linux. It's nice.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Earning money with Linux sure beats earning money with Windows. I've done both

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

BattleMaster posted:

The web of GUI dependencies that the GUI version has is so huge and tangled that it somehow went and installed wpasupplicant and the avahi daemon on my server that had no need for either of those things. I guess you wouldn't notice normally because the Debian desktop comes with both of those in the standard package list but it was annoying realizing how much cruft ended up on my server

It's just disk space, why does it matter? NixOS has taught me that disk is a resource that should be spent liberally in order to simplify basically anything else.

code:
$ du -sh /nix/store/
171G	/nix/store/

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I'm a little dim, is Nix just distribution-agnostic package isolation for non-containerized environments?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
why do I want my app in Nix instead of docker?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
It's a package manager. I am more familiar with guix but they are very similar. You can use it interactively like a normal package manager, but you can also feed it an outline of your packages and configuration and it will spit out an image (including a docker image), deploy it to the current system, or deploy that to a networked pc. It builds your packages in isolation from one another, so you can mix and match your system packages without breaking stuff, and you can rollback your system or individual packages if stuff does break. This can use a lot of disk space, hence the /nix/store (where the packages are all kept) being huge

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

last i checked there was no auditing, so you also get to keep all the vulnerable binaries around on the filesystem, including the ones with setuid 0
so if anyone gets remote code execution to a system that has nix, they basically get privilege escalation for free

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Earning money with Linux sure beats earning money with Windows. I've done both

Everybody should stop caring so much at work, especially if they are a black box.

IE:
People with no idea how programming works want a feature and create a ticket -> Black box (you) -> feature comes out.

Do they have any idea what happens between Ticket and feature? No.
Do they have any reference on how long said feature will take to complete? No.

Steps for success:
- Pad the time you think a ticket will take by 3 - 5x.
- Get the work done at your normal pace (that they should not know about.)
- Sit on the ticket (and maybe mess around with the code a bit to make it squeaky clean.)
- Turn the ticket in on the day you said it would be done.
- Do not work early, late, or on weekends. Your time is personal.
- Do not respond to Slack or Email before or after work hours.
- If you do need to work extra hours, set a clear expectation that the time will be comped and you will use it immediately.

Benefits:
- Less work.
- Higher quality output.
- You will always have your work done on time.
- Glowing reviews.
- You are paid more for your time and experience.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 26, 2022

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

last i checked there was no auditing, so you also get to keep all the vulnerable binaries around on the filesystem, including the ones with setuid 0
so if anyone gets remote code execution to a system that has nix, they basically get privilege escalation for free

I don't think you can have setuid binaries in the Nix store at all (it would make no sense). Binaries like sudo have setuid set on the symlink that is produced when NixOS cobbles together a user environment. I'd expect setuid binaries to not work at all in nix-shell or outside NixOS proper.

But I don't really know or care about sysadmin people and what they do with Nix. I just think it's great for normal usage and programming, partly because I can easily have tons of different versions of various tools installed and easily clean it up afterwards.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Most of my work isn't with tickets, I just need to keep things running and available and I have full discretion over how the things run. It's so much more pleasant to work with something that isn't actively antagonistic.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

carry on then posted:

Some folks use our hobby server as a primary home office pc. The age of 12-core/24-thread processors and 64 gigas of ram and many-teraflops of parallel processing from a GPU coinciding with containerized server services is good.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
i, too, like linux.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RobobTheGreat posted:

i, too, like linux.
:mods:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i love... LAMP

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

which P you got in there friend

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

which P you got in there friend

pascal :getin:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
:discourse: that's a moiré

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

see, now this is proper linux thread contents

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Where we're going we don't need kernels.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
press continue

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah this sort of package manager weirdness is something that Fedora Silverblue aims to fix

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ferdora should manage its packages better