Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pollyanna i bought a fat audio interface (8i6) so i wouldn't need a mixer and it was a mistake. i would've been better served with a mixer going into a much smaller interface, and it probably would've been cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sounds like i have free reign to blow a benjie+ on a used mix12fx :grin:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
If you actually need analog sends and subgroups, a mixer is the pick, but i got one of these and its verygood

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B2J

0.6 ms latency at 44/16 with no clicks or hiccups.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

man there’s so many loving mixers

I don’t even know how many channels I’ll ever actually need, or whether onboard fx are ever worth it, or some poo poo

head hurty.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

mix12fx for sure it looks like

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
onboard fx: not even once

subgroups: only necessary if you want to do complex routing into a multichannel interface

aux buses - extremely useful and good

i have a little behringer mx802 usb mixer that i use a lot of the time instead of the big boy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

In a mixer, an aux bus is signal path that is auxiliary to the main audio path of the mixer. Aux buses are often used for aux sends, and aux returns but can sometimes simply be secondary paths for submixing.

The term ‘bus’ strictly applies to any mix bus, but often it is used to describe an audio sub‑group, which is used to gather and combine a number of related sources to allow overall control via the bus or sub-group fader. Its output is often referred to as a ‘stem’ and typically forms a key part within the final mix. For example, you might ‘bus’ all the drum mics together to allow overall control by one (or two) faders, instead of having to juggle and balance six or more individual drum channel faders.

so its grouped output

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

basically right now I wanna be able to mix 4-5 (drum+fm+nts1+td-3+?) synths/outputs together and still be able to handle any pedals i decide to get for them

so that’s what, 6ish channels?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pollyanna posted:

so its grouped output

right. each channel on my mixer has buttons for MAIN, 1-2 and 3-4 subgroups. You can have a channel that only goes to main, or one that goes to main and 1-2, or one that only goes to 3-4.

then i have three stereo pairs from my mixer into my interface. when i do my video game recordings, the mp4's have three stereo audio tracks - game audio, discord, and just my voice. it lets me edit each one of them individually later on

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://reverb.com/item/52484601-behringer-eurorack-mx802a-8-input-mixer

fuckit

the one thing that concerns me is the wires in the back, i wonder if there’s a way to fix it

edit: there’s also this

https://reverb.com/item/49439416-behringer-xenyx-1202fx-12-input-mixer-with-effects

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSdytwtPo/

this isn’t really music but the oberheim vst into guitar rig 6 sounds sick as gently caress

also I bought that DCO juno 6 vst and it’s good except the junk 6 has a digitally controlled oscillator and man I am quite lost when I can’t detune an oscillator to create space/size.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Eurorack MX802A 8-Input (actually 6) for 63, or Xenyx 1202FX 12-Input (actually 8) for 100

:thunk:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

that’s $10.50 per channel vs $12.5 per channel + onboard fx

think the mx802a wins

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whichever one you pick make 100% sure you get one with usb connectivity. having yet another converter box you gotta cable up is a big pain

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

what’s the usb for? recording onto a device?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah you plug it into your PC and ableton or audacity or whatever can record from the main bus (sometimes you get individual ins) and then can play back through the mixer. so you hook the mixer up to your monitors or whatever and then everything just ties in

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hmmm I don’t see usb on the mx802a…what does yours look like again?

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Achmed Jones posted:

pollyanna i bought a fat audio interface (8i6) so i wouldn't need a mixer and it was a mistake. i would've been better served with a mixer going into a much smaller interface, and it probably would've been cheaper

the good thing about having a big fat audio interface, though, is that you can track multiple instruments simultaneously. using the "mixer into a smaller interface" method means you're stuck tracking only two channels at a time, and if you're like me, you've got way more poo poo than that going on at one time. i bought a focusrite scarlett 18i20 not too long ago, and 18 inputs is still not enough, really.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh sorry i've got the q802

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ALM

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://reverb.com/item/26595115-be...audio-interface

ill get the q1002usb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a great pick. the little one knob compressor dealie is pretty useful and i lean on it for my mic during zooms

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
is there such a thing as a large screen PC laptop that’s quiet? I grabbed an MSI with a 17.3” 4K screen that looks great but the goddamn fans run constantly which is not what I want in my home studio control centre

if large screen options are off the table who makes quiet PC laptops these days, what should I be looking for? this thing has an 11800H in it and Ableton with just Pianoteq uses 30% CPU so I don’t know if downgrading to an i3 or whatever would be a good idea

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got my mac studio a couple days ago and installed ableton and some plugins, but i'm still missing a lot of others. probably gonna spend a lot of time this weekend messing with plugins and installers and stuff

can't wait to gently caress with serum without pegging my cpu

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean, maybe it's really into that. honest communication is key here

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

always use a flared bassline

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

got dangit jonny you've got me looking at ridiculous behringer rigs :argh:

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Achmed Jones posted:

i got my mac studio a couple days ago and installed ableton and some plugins, but i'm still missing a lot of others. probably gonna spend a lot of time this weekend messing with plugins and installers and stuff

besides Logic is there anything in pro audio land that’s apple silicon native yet? I’m shopping for a new laptop and was gonna go MBP until I found out everything I use (ableton, NI, Arturia etc) is still running under Rosetta

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=av4X84lChEE

this looks like an _insane_ amount of fun

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Internaut! posted:

besides Logic is there anything in pro audio land that’s apple silicon native yet? I’m shopping for a new laptop and was gonna go MBP until I found out everything I use (ableton, NI, Arturia etc) is still running under Rosetta

ableton is. stuff i read said that you couldn't run apple silicon ableton with x86_64 plugins but it seems to be working fine for me. native instrument stuff isn't apple silicon for the most part; i think soundtoys stuff is in testing, not sure if it's landed yet. idk about serum (but it works fine); not sure about arturia

i know that i have rosetta installed. maybe ableton is switching over or somethign, even though im launching in apple-silicon mode? i wouldn't worry too much about things being apple-silicon-native, really, unless that last 20% or w/e is a real gamechanger

e: i searched google, apparently serum is m1 now

e2: oh it's a little more complicated than "can't use intel plugins with m1 ableton". basically you can't use intel VSTs or VST3s with it, but audio unit plugins work across architectures. cool. https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/4410323149074-Plug-ins-on-Mac-in-Live-11-1

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 28, 2022

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Internaut! posted:

I thiiiink some Native Instruments stuff is native, but things like Reaktor aren't (yet...they are deffo working on it). That said, even under emulation, even my o.g M1 Mini can handle my Reaktor patches with way more CPU to spare than my top-end 2019 MBP. The only stability/usability issue that I've come across is that some of the knobs in Raum don't work, which is a real shame cos Raum sounds so gorgeous.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my 2015 mbp doesn’t like it when I have the vst up on the screen lol. amazing how well it works when they’re off the screen though

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i have a presonus studiolive with 24 i/o and massive routing chops. its 2u in a rack and i can either only record stems or get all tracks separately in ableton live
no faders though - you can set up an ipad for that (I haven’t)

caution: its not something you want if you want to mess with eqs faders on a physical interface and dont want to touch computer all the time

in my case i have it set up to monitor and process separately 5 stereo pairs of audio from hardware

sometimes i think it would be nice to have a mackie cr16 sized thing for more easily using the random junk i have thats not permanently connected

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

something like this seems cool for quickly messing with the mix in ableton

https://www.thomann.de/intl/presonus_iostation_24c.htm

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i thought that i would use the ableton push v1 for mixing but it’s actually massive and the automapping is dogshit. maybe its all better with the new push, should try it out at a store

form factor is still huge though

idk every time i go on a trip and have to pack some music stuff, i feel like i need to downsize and get rid of everything that doesn’t fit in a backpack

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i picked up an MPK Mini from a goon and it's way more useful than i expected. lil bit of errything

pretty fun arpeggiator built in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm interesting

I am in the market for something like that.

is it mini keys

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah its little baby keys. you're not gonna be playing moonlight sonata on it, but it's 100% adequate for slapping some pads or some bass synth notes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:pcgaming:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Niiiiice. it's a fun little mixbox. good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ill have to figure out how to record off it if i ever do more than just jam out on my headphones

prolly find a used laptop that can handle a decent daw like reaper or w/e