Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jeeves posted:

I love most of the look of the film but those carryall balloons always look too... early CGI? Or something? They look 90s VFX as gently caress.

I think it is like the texture or the extremely unnatural (on purpose) deployment animation they picked for it or something.

I think it's the diffuse lighting because the air is full of dust. Sometimes a good lighting simulation will look like 90s vfx because of atmospheric conditions most people aren't familiar with. When I lived in China it occasionally looked like a scene out of Morrowind with fog covering up the low draw distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah modern good VFX is a tradeoff between accurately representing what a thing would look like vs giving the viewers what they think they would expect to see

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's the diffuse lighting because the air is full of dust. Sometimes a good lighting simulation will look like 90s vfx because of atmospheric conditions most people aren't familiar with. When I lived in China it occasionally looked like a scene out of Morrowind with fog covering up the low draw distance.

China has terrible rendering: last time I was there the draw distance was, like, fifteen feet!!!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
I'm just impressed that Fahrenheit is still in use in the year 10,000.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That was celsius!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is barely related, but has there been any sign of replica weapons and stuff from this? I've had a look around but it's all been quiet. Kind of surprising for a movie with so much emphasis on swordplay.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a replica crysknife that's available, but it's cast resin.
https://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemno=UC3458&cat=NW
I haven't seen Atreides, Harkonnen or Saudakar knifes, or anything that's actual steel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

deoju posted:

There's a replica crysknife that's available, but it's cast resin.
https://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemno=UC3458&cat=NW
I haven't seen Atreides, Harkonnen or Saudakar knifes, or anything that's actual steel.

If they make it still then it's less likely to chip and shatter like a real one.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I saw a laffo Baron Harkonnen ACTION FIGURE at the weird fandom section in Target now.

That's my merchandise spotlight corner.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

It'll probably be Tex Elvis but shaved, maybe his eyebrows shaved too, and like oddly water-repellant. Handsome but unsettling.

I've got a feeling they'll give him hair. It's an indulgence allowed by the Baron

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Feyd gets to have hair to set him apart from Rabban. Schemes within schemes

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Feyd's gonna have hair because he's lovelier that way.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Feyd action figure better let you put the knives in either hand.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm just impressed that Fahrenheit is still in use in the year 10,000.

Nitpicking but isn't the year 10,000 since the end of the Butlerian Jihad? So it's actually like 20,000 AD or something.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

Nitpicking but isn't the year 10,000 since the end of the Butlerian Jihad? So it's actually like 20,000 AD or something.
According to the Dune Encyclopedia (which according to its introduction, by Frank Herbert, was canon unless Frank decided to change specifics in the future), radios, televisions, atomics, rocketry, genetics and the computer were all invented in the timespan between 14500 and 14200BG and the first atomics used in a war was in 14255BG.
This puts the Atreides move to Calladan in the year 24445 of the Gregorian calendar (or the year 36390 of the Holocene calendar), assuming that either Dune is set in an alternate universe where certain events happened at the same date, or that the early details of the Dune Encyclopedia (which is a book published within the Dune series) are slightly wrong.

EDIT: Here's the timeline:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 29, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Apparently it's 10k years from house corrino coming to power, which was a few hundred years after the jihad. So it's more like 21,000 years from now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also I just noticed that the Dune Encyclopedia is also dated in the timeline, which is in the year 41740 of the Holocene calendar.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Apparently it's 10k years from house corrino coming to power, which was a few hundred years after the jihad. So it's more like 21,000 years from now.
It's a bit more than that.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I always like the idea that the actual time line doesn't matter because humans may have forgotten what year it is due to their enslavement to thinking machines for so long.

Same with how no one knows or cares about Earth.

But then again I am sure the failson helped to fill in those gaps of lore that didn't matter.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well the Bene Gesserit remember pretty drat far back, but I guess actually counting out years through Other Memory would be pretty obnoxious

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

jeeves posted:

I always like the idea that the actual time line doesn't matter because humans may have forgotten what year it is due to their enslavement to thinking machines for so long.

Same with how no one knows or cares about Earth.

But then again I am sure the failson helped to fill in those gaps of lore that didn't matter.

Yeah, there's that great bit in God Emperor where he's talking about Alexander the Great (or some real world figure) and mockingly asks "can you even say when this took place? Or on what *planet*?".

I like to to think that Ix might be pluto too. Mostly because it's small, lovely, and number 9.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like to to think that Ix might be pluto too. Mostly because it's small, lovely, and number 9.

This has always been my assumption as well, though on the other hand it seems less likely that they would have forgotten their identity if they were that close to Earth

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Not if they colonized earth-like planets first and then eventually spread back out to other known-and-named planets but like millennia later.

Foundation has earth being long forgotten, but due to intentional obfuscation thousands of years before.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, there's that great bit in God Emperor where he's talking about Alexander the Great (or some real world figure) and mockingly asks "can you even say when this took place? Or on what *planet*?".

Ha, that reminds me of a Harry Harrison story where two far-future people speculate that the human race was once confined to one solar system. "Maybe even one planet?" "I wouldn't go that far"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

This has always been my assumption as well, though on the other hand it seems less likely that they would have forgotten their identity if they were that close to Earth

Ixians haven’t invented poo poo ever. They just are the only ones who remember where Earth is and go dumpster diving when they need to come up with something. Bronso of Ix was actually named Barry.

Giant loving con job.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ixians haven’t invented poo poo ever. They just are the only ones who remember where Earth is and go dumpster diving when they need to come up with something. Bronso of Ix was actually named Barry.

Giant loving con job.

Not entirely sure whether this is satire or canon...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

It's conon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's Conan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Not entirely sure whether this is satire or canon...

It's basically the Adeptus Mechanicus. Honestly, it might work, especially given Earth apparently got remade as a nature preserve- the remnants of the cradle of human civilisation might have been buried or destroyed unless you know where to look.

The whole point of the timeline is that so far in the future, most humans find it difficult to comprehend the scale of how much has changed, and also they've lived in a feudal empire so long they have trouble thinking of things like nation-states on individual planets, different systems of government, and how relatively short-lived empires and nations were in the olden days. Like, it's supposed to show first and foremost that they have a very poor idea of their own ancient history.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jeeves posted:

I saw a laffo Baron Harkonnen ACTION FIGURE at the weird fandom section in Target now.

That's my merchandise spotlight corner.

I still do not understand why McFarlane made him 12 inch and no one else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Paul also "jokes" with Stilgar, I think, about being much worse than Hitler.

2house2fly posted:

Ha, that reminds me of a Harry Harrison story where two far-future people speculate that the human race was once confined to one solar system. "Maybe even one planet?" "I wouldn't go that far"
That's not an uncommon thing, in so far as Harry Harrison isn't the only person to have used the bit; a variation on it is referring to Earth as "Dirt", because linguistic drift over a long time has caused those two words to mean exactly the same.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Giant loving con job.
This single sentence has more thought put into it than all the books BH and KJA have published or plan on publishing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Paul also "jokes" with Stilgar, I think, about being much worse than Hitler.

And Stilgar thinks Paul meant Hitler killed millions personally and starts talking about him having had some pretty good weapons

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And Stilgar thinks Paul meant Hitler killed millions personally and starts talking about him having had some pretty good weapons
Yeah, it's one heck of a conversation.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watched the 4k disc of this last night, looks great on a giant TV.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

According to the Dune Encyclopedia (which according to its introduction, by Frank Herbert, was canon unless Frank decided to change specifics in the future), radios, televisions, atomics, rocketry, genetics and the computer were all invented in the timespan between 14500 and 14200BG and the first atomics used in a war was in 14255BG.
This puts the Atreides move to Calladan in the year 24445 of the Gregorian calendar (or the year 36390 of the Holocene calendar), assuming that either Dune is set in an alternate universe where certain events happened at the same date, or that the early details of the Dune Encyclopedia (which is a book published within the Dune series) are slightly wrong.

EDIT: Here's the timeline:

It's also fun as an example of how history is reinterpreted as a way to justify the current regime. The timeline is obsessed with the idea of the Corrino Empire as the heir to an unbroken lineage of empire that calls out Rome as a direct descendent to Alexander, considers the British Empire as the next stage of the Spanish Empire, and calls the entirety of WW2 to be an INTRAprovincial war.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Holtzman being a comet-cyborg who reappears after millenia to transform civilization is a really weird idea and I'm here for it.

It's almost like a piss take of the great man theory of history. Because the great man does literally drop out of the sky randomly to gently caress poo poo up. And then gets murdered.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Holtzman being a comet-cyborg who reappears after millenia to transform civilization is a really weird idea and I'm here for it.

It's almost like a piss take of the great man theory of history. Because the great man does literally drop out of the sky randomly to gently caress poo poo up. And then gets murdered.

Looking at the timeline, I immediately read him as a God-Emperor of machines/AI. Sort of an Anti-Leto II, doing the same thing (letting himself die/be destroyed) to preserve "machine thinking" from the ravages of the Butlerian Jihad via dispersal.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

https://mobile.twitter.com/deadline/status/1524804391299072000?s=21&t=B0Y45V8XczDVoBEMWW567g

Did anyone guess Walken?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Did anyone guess Walken?

I doubt it lol

that's wild. Seems like he's been making a late-late career comeback recently.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1524812214418407432

came to post the same news because now I can't see anyone else doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was really good on Severance where he was charming as hell.