Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll
This poll is closed.
Yes 34 40.48%
No 50 59.52%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The few. The proud.

slightly fewer now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

They probably wanna get this all done before IPPS-A comes in September. Processing/tracking all those discharges during the three or four week cutover period would seriously suck.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

That Works posted:

Dog god Monty for moderator

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Works posted:

Dog god Monty for montyrator

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Platystemon posted:

The few. The proud.

:vomarine:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The Few. The Plague.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
For a branch built on fighting lava monsters, there seem to be a lot of marines afraid of needles.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Which is real dumb because during processing in Parris Island you get injections for loving everything

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Eason the Fifth posted:

Which is real dumb because during processing in Parris Island you get injections for loving everything

Yeah, this is a talking point I use on my anti-vax neighbors. If a vaccine was going to kill me, it would have been the peanut butter shot at Knox. Or like when I lost my shot record and got a whole round of shots again when I got to Korea. Or the anthrax vaccine.

I'm still wasting air, vaccines haven't killed me yet.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Based on Army deadlines, I’d estimate a lot of units around have separated maybe 10-20% of the people who will ultimately be separated for COVID refusal by midsummer. Plus the guy getting chaptered for DWI, skipping work, harassing a woman online, and also covid refusal just gets booted for everything but COVID in most cases cause it is faster and captures the most egregious misbehavior.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Supposedly Polio is coming back in the third world because we're using oral vaccines there because "it's cheaper" and it causes the virus to be excreted in feces and gives it a transmission vector.

Can't wait for Super Polio and an anti-vaxxer push against it because "it's just another ploy to get Bill Gates mind control nanites into you!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
A man believed to have worked with federal authorities to investigate the activities of Deutsche Bank and its ties with former President Donald Trump was found dead on an El Sereno high school's campus Monday.

Uhhh...

Wait what....?

quote:

His father had killed himself in 2014, and Valentin Broeksmit went on to share his father’s files with numerous journalists and government investigators, including a trip to an FBI office in Los Angeles, the newspaper reported.

Forensic News Network journalist Scott Stedman said he was one of the journalists who received documents from Broeksmit, which highlighted the bank’s “deep Russia connections.” Broeksmit was reported missing in 2021, but Stedman said they talked in January.

“It is very sad,” Stedman wrote on Twitter. “I don’t suspect foul play. Val struggled with drugs on and off.”

Broeksmit was born in Ukraine and adopted by Bill Broeksmit, his mother’s second husband, according to the New York Times. As an adult, Valentin had a history of opioid abuse and was a member of an unsuccessful rock band. He referred to himself on Twitter as a “comically terrible spy.” The U.S. House Intelligence Committee subpoenaed him numerous times during its examination of Deutsche Bank and its relationship with Trump.

Grand jury investigating Donald Trump for criminal conduct will come to an end

WAIT WHAT

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Business as usual, hardly news

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Sounds like someone got FSB’d

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Ah well,

Nevertheless.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fell down 3 stories onto a pile of bullets at this one story school I see.

Completely normal suicide.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, this is a talking point I use on my anti-vax neighbors. If a vaccine was going to kill me, it would have been the peanut butter shot at Knox. Or like when I lost my shot record and got a whole round of shots again when I got to Korea. Or the anthrax vaccine.

I'm still wasting air, vaccines haven't killed me yet.

Those have been around for forever and we know they don’t have any lasting negative effects.

That’s the answer I’ve gotten from people I know that were in the military and got all the shots but are skeptical about the covid vaccine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fknlo posted:

Those have been around for forever and we know they don’t have any lasting negative effects.

That’s the answer I’ve gotten from people I know that were in the military and got all the shots but are skeptical about the covid vaccine.

Both the anthrax and smallpox vaccines I got were experimental, and I wasn’t given a choice about either. The dryvaxx trial thankfully worked out alright. The anthrax shots stopped after I had got my first or second booster.

Neither of those had quite as long a history as mRNA vaccines. We have more than a decade of results, and thanks to the past year and a half the largest sample size of any trial ever. They’re extremely safe and thoroughly tested.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, for sure. I understand why folks might have a knee-jerk reaction to it, especially the kind of people who might enlist (that is, people from poorer communities whose greatest experience with goverment-approved medical output was Perdue and the oxycontin crisis), but in the end, the covid vaccines have proved incredibly safe at large scales.

That's usually my take when I talk to old vet buddies of mine, and while I don't think I've changed any minds about the vax or anything, understanding where they're coming from and showing empathy for what they believe seems to make the best in-roads between us and at least leaves them less hostile toward the idea of getting the shot. I think some beliefs are dumb, but I'm one of those fence-sitting shitheads with friends from the Marines and from lib-art grad school so I try to understand both sides even if I don't agree.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 28, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Both the anthrax and smallpox vaccines I got were experimental, and I wasn’t given a choice about either. The dryvaxx trial thankfully worked out alright. The anthrax shots stopped after I had got my first or second booster.

Neither of those had quite as long a history as mRNA vaccines. We have more than a decade of results, and thanks to the past year and a half the largest sample size of any trial ever. They’re extremely safe and thoroughly tested.

Antivaxers and Russian stooges have been throwing out non-stop disinformation about the vaccines for the past few years. They don't need you to believe everything, or even any one thing, they just want to create doubt.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I personally feel more and more that the antivaccination movement is entirely a misinformation campaign from the country blaming COVID on other countries.

Alleged screenshots from the informant from the night of his death.

https://twitter.com/sarahcjohnson/status/1519464673698926592?t=VXEmCMzoZbUHxYWtXYTiNA&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Supposedly Polio is coming back in the third world because we're using oral vaccines there because "it's cheaper" and it causes the virus to be excreted in feces and gives it a transmission vector.

Can't wait for Super Polio and an anti-vaxxer push against it because "it's just another ploy to get Bill Gates mind control nanites into you!"

It’s complicated.

OPV is indeed cheaper, but its other advantage over the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) is that people immunized with OPV cannot harbor poliovirus in their guts.

IPV is protective from symptoms like paralysis, but people immunized with it may catch subclinical infections of wild poliovirus and shed it in stool.

The catch is that there is a chance (on the order of one in a couple million) that the weakened strain used in OPV can spontaneously regain pathogenic abilities, sickening the host and even spreading within the community.

With wild poliovirus as rare as it is has been recently, cases of vaccine-associated paralytic polio (VAPP) can outnumber cases of paralysis from wild polio. This makes OPV unattractive.

But again, IPV opens the door to silent hosts, so they both pose problems for eradication efforts.

There was a time shortly before the turn of the millennium when the U.S. childhood schedule had IPV chased by OPV, the idea being that IPV would be protective against the threat of paralytic polio posed by OPV, with the OPV followup giving that coveted sterilizing immunity. When VAPP cases were observed not to decline, this schedule was discontinued.

Here’s a slideshow presented at a meeting of CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices just prior to the coronavirus pandemic that goes over some of this.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 28, 2022

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1519758730870636544?s=20&t=Ft54UTNZgNx8cbKkaItg1g

Nothing will fundamentally change.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
War's hungry arms given all the love it needs

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A.o.D. posted:

Antivaxers and Russian stooges have been throwing out non-stop disinformation about the vaccines for the past few years. They don't need you to believe everything, or even any one thing, they just want to create doubt.

We need to stop giving the Russians so much credit. They aren’t that good and a lot of Americans don’t need that much help to be hateful drooling gullible morons. It’s a convenient excuse to put it on a foreign bogeyman rather than look at our history and institutions.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

War's hungry arms given all the love it needs

The ultimate trade awaiting the ultimate defense contractor.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

I must be slow, can you explain what exactly you're implying here?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I must be slow, can you explain what exactly you're implying here?

CNN will have plenty of war to cover for the foreseeable future.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tens of billions of war making equipment, signed and sent nbd.

Tens of billions on combating climate change, WhO wIlL pAy FoR iT

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

We need to stop giving the Russians so much credit. They aren’t that good and a lot of Americans don’t need that much help to be hateful drooling gullible morons. It’s a convenient excuse to put it on a foreign bogeyman rather than look at our history and institutions.

That's the thing about disinformation campaigns: they don't have to be good, they just have to be lucky a few times.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can't wait for politicians to start saying, "we can't cancel student loans, we have a war to fund."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Can't wait for politicians to start saying, "we can't cancel student loans, we have a war to fund."

Oops we sold all your debt to Lockheed Martin!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arrath posted:

I am 100% for helping Ukraine fight the Russian invader, don't mistake my post. I just wish the establishment was just as happy to spend the necessary money and effort on things like improving the world for the future.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrath posted:

I am 100% for helping Ukraine fight the Russian invader, don't mistake my post. I just wish the establishment was just as happy to spend the necessary money and effort on things like improving the world for the future.

I dunno less living members of the Russian military…

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Arrath posted:

Same. We're fighting the good fight. Quite literally.

But politicians are not allowed to fight poverty or the health insurance companies

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/seth_hettena/status/1519831372344414208

Shocked- absolutely SHOCKED- at this! Looking forward to Biden's announcement that we'll be seizing Saudi assets and giving them to 9/11 families.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

In current events: American tourists like to try to fly with UXO.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/israel-airport-unexploded-shell-american-tourists/index.html

There is some footage floating around of the airport collectively losing their poo poo upon discovery of the souvenir.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Arrath posted:

Every piece of war materiel sent to the Ukrainian military is TWO pieces of war materiel we need to re-buy.

JERBS! :capitalism:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPI posted:

In current events: American tourists like to try to fly with UXO.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/israel-airport-unexploded-shell-american-tourists/index.html

There is some footage floating around of the airport collectively losing their poo poo upon discovery of the souvenir.

lmao, they declared it

I almost want to get a job as a customs agent just to see the dumb poo poo people try and declare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/seth_hettena/status/1519831372344414208

Shocked- absolutely SHOCKED- at this! Looking forward to Biden's announcement that we'll be seizing Saudi assets and giving them to 9/11 families.