Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they moved the start button to the middle lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Last Chance posted:

they moved the start button to the middle lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

paper ui prototyping is so stupid

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once was a research subject at adobe and I kept going off script and they had a guy in the next room literally drawing and cutting things out live and handing them to the presenter so I could keep going even after I offered to draw it myself [it was software for designers so I’m not sure what they were expecting]

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

touch optimized
mouse hostile

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I had “tuck web search results into the #1 spot you’re about to click on” the other day for the last time. dashed off an email to our MSP to disable that poo poo and deploy it to everyone. Feels good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

paper ui prototyping is so stupid

no it isn't

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

agreed, all we need to do now is make the final product paper too, taking computers entirely out of the loop.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

for user validation it sure as hell is, if you have a decent symbols library in sketch/figma you should be able to do any scenario that works in a paper prototype in a fraction of the time

there's a thing in usability testing where normal people who aren't designers literally don't possess the context switching skill to imagine it happening on a screen but they will tell you they do because they don't know any better and the feedback you get won't map to the end result much at all. in my experience a non-interactive slideshow that actually looks like real screens will get you better feedback than even a working thing that's too abstracted.

there are exceptions for stuff like video or highly interactive touch patterns where you should use real code but it's not like you can paper prototype pinch to zoom anyway. basically spend as little time or as much time as possible, imo that whole middle area that's paper prototyping up to axure is just a giant black hole for time [and I have a lot of other problems with rapid prototyping tools]

are you trying to validate the overall workflow or model? use realistic looking screens, they don't even need to be clickable
are you trying to validate how it feels with touch, video or animation? use real code

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

for user validation it sure as hell is, if you have a decent symbols library in sketch/figma you should be able to do any scenario that works in a paper prototype in a fraction of the time
I had to do it for a while when I started at this company because my Visio license was delayed and I had to get going on a project.

it worked well enough with my users that I kept doing it for early iterations of new tools, and it worked pretty well. ended up doing a presentation on paper prototyping for our world usability day meeting.

it ain't figma or axure or other rapid prototyping software where you have a lot of interaction and/or need to present a more high fidelity experience to the testers, but it works in a pinch imo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

what's figma

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Last Chance posted:

what's figma

who's steve jobs

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Last Chance posted:

what's figma
its a ui prototyping dealio

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jesus WEP posted:

most people I know who use it don't use the prototyping just for screen design because sketch refuses to support windows and adobe xd is a joke

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jesus WEP posted:

is it seriously called figma

mystes
May 31, 2006

graph posted:

is it seriously called figma
figma balls

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mystes posted:

figma balls

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

qirex posted:

most people I know who use it don't use the prototyping just for screen design because sketch refuses to support windows and adobe xd is a joke

adobe xD

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
remember adobe flex

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat
i published an actual product with adobe flex

mystes
May 31, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i published an actual product with adobe flex
Weird but ok

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Soiled Meat
it was bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all interface design software has stupid names, it’s a rule for some reason nobody knows

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

all interface design software has stupid names, it’s a rule for some reason nobody knows
Luckily all other software also has stupid names

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
the axure/azure mis-hearing was always fun given that we're a windows shop

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

didn't know you could use adobe flex to post on the something awful forums :xd:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I use an app that runs on Adobe air and I hope it never stops working because I’ve never found a replacement for it I like

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use balsamiq sometimes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Chris Knight posted:

the axure/azure mis-hearing was always fun given that we're a windows shop

go axure mother

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the offical azure folks ive talked with over the years all pronounced it asher

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
not azh-er?

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
and what is with the people saying "uh-zhoor"?! as someone in yospos once put it, "it sounds like a wizard".

mystes
May 31, 2006

When is a Microsoft not a Microsoft?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
as-zoo-uh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cheque_some posted:

and what is with the people saying "uh-zhoor"?! as someone in yospos once put it, "it sounds like a wizard".

yeah i love them asher blue skies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

i use balsamiq sometimes

jesus christ what other perfectly good words can nerds ruin

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

jesus christ what other perfectly good words can nerds ruin