Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah this sort of package manager weirdness is something that Fedora Silverblue aims to fix

so will this new technology where the distribution doesn't uninstall the kernel arrive before or after the year of linux on the desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m pretty sure it doesn’t like the older kernels and installs the f35 kernels lol

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Wait, if I have a bluetooth headset, I have to drop the audio quality down to potato levels to have a mic? How is that a thing in 2022?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t like the older kernels and installs the f35 kernels lol

yeah it's this, i have definitely gotten fedora to brick itself by accepting its updates on their face because the update didnt update grub correctly

mystes
May 31, 2006

RokosCockatrice posted:

Wait, if I have a bluetooth headset, I have to drop the audio quality down to potato levels to have a mic? How is that a thing in 2022?
Because bluetooth is dumb, OP

Bluetooth LE Audio is finally supposed to fix that though

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

idgi why wouldnt upgrading to f35 also install the f35 kernel?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

dnf keeps three versions of the kernel installed by default, this is probably a conflict with the two versions that are left over from Fedora 35

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its almost certainly the gnome software manager being gnome and just showing the package names being removed and not showing that its older versions of the kernel because showing package details in your software manager is bad UX

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

Its almost certainly the gnome software manager being gnome and just showing the package names being removed and not showing that its older versions of the kernel because showing package details in your software manager is bad UX

It's this

post hole digger posted:

idgi why wouldnt upgrading to f35 also install the f35 kernel?

It does.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RokosCockatrice posted:

What you want is isochronous channel support, which is also in BT5.2 in addition to BTLEA - it's basically full duplex for bluetooth headsets.

mystes posted:

Because bluetooth is dumb, OP

Bluetooth LE Audio is finally supposed to fix that though
Gotta wait for Bluetooth 5.2 at both ends of the connection, though.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr. Crow posted:

this kind of thing is why I’ll never regret switching to macos for my daily driver. it’s still a heap of poo poo designed by idiots and implemented by clowns, but at least they’re professional idiots and clowns who know how to polish a turd properly

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Soricidus posted:

this kind of thing is why I’ll never regret switching to macos for my daily driver. it’s still a heap of poo poo designed by idiots and implemented by clowns, but at least they’re professional idiots and clowns who know how to polish a turd properly
well, they used to back in the 10.5 days

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I don't understand, if I connect this headset to my phone or set up a Windows machine, will it also sound like garbage if I try to use the mic? Something doesn't add up here

mystes
May 31, 2006

RokosCockatrice posted:

I don't understand, if I connect this headset to my phone or set up a Windows machine, will it also sound like garbage if I try to use the mic? Something doesn't add up here
Go try it.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

wait, you're right, it doesn't work on my phone. my phone also resorts to garbage codecs when the mics are enabled?! what the hell?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

RokosCockatrice posted:

wait, you're right, it doesn't work on my phone. my phone also resorts to garbage codecs when the mics are enabled?! what the hell?
Bluetooth has been promising to be good for a very very long time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think a lot of people just haven't noticed before because they were only using the microphone to make normal phone calls and phone call quality was crap until recently.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bluetooth is total poo poo and should have been abandoned 20 years ago

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

bluetooth is total poo poo and should have been abandoned 20 years ago
It's massively overcomplicated but they keep changing the protocols anyway so maybe it will eventually not suck.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mystes posted:

It's massively overcomplicated but they keep changing the protocols anyway so maybe it will eventually not suck.
that's basically everything nowadays

mystes
May 31, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

that's basically everything nowadays
Everything except systemd, brtrfs, and kubernetes

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It has to do with the amount of bandwidth they're allowed to send out iirc I ran into that trying to find a Bluetooth headset for my ps5.... The ones that sound good are basically using WiFi chiplets in the usb adapter to get around it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

It has to do with the amount of bandwidth they're allowed to send out iirc I ran into that trying to find a Bluetooth headset for my ps5.... The ones that sound good are basically using WiFi chiplets in the usb adapter to get around it
Or just using a proprietary protocol like airpods

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

i mean, the total bandwidth is plenty, but the defined profile for the purpose hasn't been updated to use better codecs/bitrates (garbage sbc still the baseline). probably because defining a good one would involve agreeing on a codec, and all parties seem pretty invested in nickle-and-diming over licenses. in a sane world it'd all be opus.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

this blog post is everything i expect about linux blog posts

mystes posted:

Everything except systemd, brtrfs, and kubernetes
it's especially those, op

in other news, ubuntu's new lts is making excellent decisions

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 28, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its me, I'm the one rebooting my physical servers all the time on time critical workloads

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

This was making the rounds and all the tut tut responses were triggering the poo poo outa me.

Check engine light won't turn off? Just yank out the bulb!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
My HVAC stopped working so I simply bought a wood furnace, works flawlessly now!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

this is the correct behavior, op.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

inventing a third configuration language that compiles to either NetworkManager or systemd-networkd seems pretty idiotic

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

RokosCockatrice posted:

yeah it sucks. apparently there is some fuckery you can do with jack or pipewire to fix it but I can't be bothered

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amethyst posted:

yeah it sucks. apparently there is some fuckery you can do with jack or pipewire to fix it but I can't be bothered
Isn't that just to automatically switch between profiles? I don't think the current profiles allow the problem to be fixed.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the bluetooth situation isn't really linux specific -- it's an issue with the profiles supported by most devices. pipewire is a must regardless, but you still gotta find a device with the right profiles

msbc is the baseline profile that supports both sink and source but sounds like trash. it's pretty much the only profile you're guaranteed to find everywhere.

next up you have aptx (qualcomm), which doesn't sound terrible, but has no support for being an audio source, only a sink. the moment you try to use it as a source, the device will drop out of the profile to one that supports being a source.

past aptx, you have aptx-hd, which ups the quality of aptx, but behaves the same with regard to being sink only.

similar to aptx, is ldac (sony). ldac is arguably the best quality profile and in theory supports being used as either a sink or source, but I've never actually seen a device that supports being an ldac sink. (I've also only used cheapo ldac devices, and never a nice set of sonys).

finally, the only profile I've found that actually works on a real world device without going to poo poo is aptx-ll (low latency). it was apparently really short lived, and only a handful of devices seem to support it. of the tens of bluetooth headsets I've purchased trying to understand why in 202x I had to deal with trash audio calls, only the Avantree Aria Pro has been usable.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

bluetooth headsets are so grandpa-unfriendly.

Hold the power button down for 3 seconds until you hear two chimes, then release, in order to turn on.

Hold it for 10 seconds until you hear three chimes, in order to dump all configuration and go into pairing mode.

Then go into the sound settings panel for your OS and ensure the correct sound sink is selected.

Alternatively, just plug in the wired headset to the front of the computer and it just works.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the bluetooth situation isn't really linux specific -- it's an issue with the profiles supported by most devices. pipewire is a must regardless, but you still gotta find a device with the right profiles

msbc is the baseline profile that supports both sink and source but sounds like trash. it's pretty much the only profile you're guaranteed to find everywhere.

next up you have aptx (qualcomm), which doesn't sound terrible, but has no support for being an audio source, only a sink. the moment you try to use it as a source, the device will drop out of the profile to one that supports being a source.

past aptx, you have aptx-hd, which ups the quality of aptx, but behaves the same with regard to being sink only.

similar to aptx, is ldac (sony). ldac is arguably the best quality profile and in theory supports being used as either a sink or source, but I've never actually seen a device that supports being an ldac sink. (I've also only used cheapo ldac devices, and never a nice set of sonys).

finally, the only profile I've found that actually works on a real world device without going to poo poo is aptx-ll (low latency). it was apparently really short lived, and only a handful of devices seem to support it. of the tens of bluetooth headsets I've purchased trying to understand why in 202x I had to deal with trash audio calls, only the Avantree Aria Pro has been usable.

those aren't profiles, profiles are things like HFP/HSP and A2DP, those are codecs and the reason why nobody supports encoding using any of those codecs is that encoding has licensing fees but decoding is free

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

those aren't profiles, profiles are things like HFP/HSP and A2DP, those are codecs and the reason why nobody supports encoding using any of those codecs is that encoding has licensing fees but decoding is free
If your headset has aptx, the manufacturer bought a chipset made by Qualcomm to use. They don't need to license the codec.

Anyway, the problem is just that the Bluetooth profiles don't allow high quality bidirectional audio, period. It has nothing to do with licensing.

Some stuff like aptx ll may break the specs to do it but it's not generally supported.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

yes, apologies, they're codecs as opposed to profiles. run an s/profile/codec/ on my post and everything still stands though.

you're kinda-sorta right about the license situation. it isn't free on either side, it's just that on the headphone side you're almost guaranteed a bundled license via the audo soc (the vast majority are qualcomm). similarly on the decoding side a massive percentage of android devices get a free license bundled with their qualcomm soc.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

Anyway, the problem is just that the Bluetooth profiles don't allow high quality bidirectional audio, period. It has nothing to do with licensing.

a2dp def supports sink/source with the right codec. I'm using it this moment.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

a2dp def supports sink/source with the right codec. I'm using it this moment.

whatcha listening to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

whatcha listening to

it's a command and conquer soundtrack kind of night. fight, win, prevail!