Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

I remember this poo poo happening on Slackware over ten years ago. Ubuntu is receding into an infantile phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yes, apologies, they're codecs as opposed to profiles. run an s/profile/codec/ on my post and everything still stands though.

you're kinda-sorta right about the license situation. it isn't free on either side, it's just that on the headphone side you're almost guaranteed a bundled license via the audo soc (the vast majority are qualcomm). similarly on the decoding side a massive percentage of android devices get a free license bundled with their qualcomm soc.

actually I think I'm wrong, it is free on the encoding side but decoding it costs money

whichever scenario promotes adoption and those sweet licensing fees but also conveniently allows Linux to support aptX

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

actually I think I'm wrong, it is free on the encoding side but decoding it costs money

whichever scenario promotes adoption and those sweet licensing fees but also conveniently allows Linux to support aptX

turns out I was wrong in my understanding that both sides required licensing:

https://www.mail-archive.com/package-review@lists.fedoraproject.org/msg410519.html

looks like the patents for both the main parts of aptx, and the return audio bits of aptx-ll are both expired at this point.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

inventing a third configuration language that compiles to either NetworkManager or systemd-networkd seems pretty idiotic

yeah, that one is definitely redacted, but that's been there since bionic

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Poppler finally has support for embedding fonts in PDF files!

a pretty big deal if you think about all the software that uses poppler

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

Poppler finally has support for embedding fonts in PDF files!

a pretty big deal if you think about all the software that uses poppler

specifically embedding an additional font for annotation use though, obviously it has always supported reading whatever fonts are embedded as part of the pdf content.

and afaict xournalpp already dodged that issue, and is the only pdf application worth bothering with.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh, right on time there's a collabora blog posting about bluetooth audio stuff:

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-blog/news-and-events/pipewire-bluetooth-support-status-update.html

seems to have covered all the points mentioned itt already though

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

neat, that was a nice summary

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

inventing a third configuration language that compiles to either NetworkManager or systemd-networkd seems pretty idiotic

yeah, just use Lisp, OP

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eschaton posted:

yeah, just use Lisp, OP

nah, network configuration is absolutely where you should follow microsofts lead and go for prolog.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i want to run a desktop linux vm on my m1 macbook pro, i figured i may as well run arm64 linux, but there dont seem to be any arm64 kubuntu isos :mad:

seems straightforward enough to install arm64 server and then run one of the desktopifier scripts/packages that automates installing and removing and configuring various things, but im surprised thats necessary

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

how bout just don't use ubuntu

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
no

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

If I had an Apple M1 I'd personally be checking out Asahi Linux. First alpha was released last month

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
But for real don't use Ubuntu

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I have Ubuntu installed on a secondary ssd on my “gaming rig” just to mess with. I upgraded it to the newest LTS last weekend even tho upgrades weren’t supported yet and it actually worked fine, sound, wifi, nvidia, everything.

Even some guh-nome customs I made carried over. Seems good to me OP

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, network configuration is absolutely where you should follow microsofts lead and go for prolog.

ive never actually seenprolog in action, what does it look like?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Lady Radia posted:

ive never actually seenprolog in action, what does it look like?

Yes.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Scrotum Modem posted:

If I had an Apple M1 I'd personally be checking out Asahi Linux. First alpha was released last month

they said they wanted to run a vm, not bare metal

asahi can't even run in a vm on macos since not all aspects of apple silicon are virtualized by apple's virtualization framework

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 30, 2022

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Ubuntu is pretty good

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I know part of the Linux experience is blowing a weekend for a 50-50 shot at enabling a modern OS feature, but since switching to ubtunu I haven't missed it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

RokosCockatrice posted:

I know part of the Linux experience is blowing a weekend for a 50-50 shot at enabling a modern OS feature, but since switching to ubtunu I haven't missed it

:same:

unless I'm being paid for it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
My Selinux story: I found out that setting it to enforcing didn't log all denials, and setting it to permissive didn't either. It logged most of them, but a certain subset (I can't recall which) wasn't logged.

In effect, things didn't work and it was impossible to tell why. I was not amused. Not how I'd design a MAC system…

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my fedora box “””””just works””””” for docker and poo poo and now the novelty has worn off i think i am just gonna ignore it, use it as a seedbox, and periodically relaunch plex when new versions come out

guess i will have to find something more interesting to do with my life

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gentle Autist posted:

my fedora box “””””just works””””” for docker and poo poo and now the novelty has worn off i think i am just gonna ignore it, use it as a seedbox, and periodically relaunch plex when new versions come out

guess i will have to find something more interesting to do with my life

https://github.com/Jeeaaasus/youtube-dl

make two yt playlists, 'audio' and 'video' then punch them into the config for this. set the rescan to 10m. now if you want something just add to that list on youtube, go pour your coffee and it just shows up. i swear by it

(also it doesnt get throttled)

(also it works for youtube music, if you can play it on the site, you can download it)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

that sound great!!!!!! thanks jonny

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Jonny 290 posted:

make two yt playlists, 'audio' and 'video' then punch them into the config for this. set the rescan to 10m. now if you want something just add to that list on youtube, go pour your coffee and it just shows up. i swear by it

(also it works for youtube music, if you can play it on the site, you can download it)

holy poo poo jonny you're my hero

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think I did actually get throttled using youtube-dl once a few years ago although I'm not 100% sure.

I downloaded a huge amount of extremely short videos from some channel over a short period and then YouTube was glacial from my ip address for like a week or two regardless of software or device.

(This is separate from any recent issues with mainline youtube-dl being throttled which might be what you're referring to.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 1, 2022

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i wrote a script that spins up an ec2 in the london region, grabs something using get-iplayer, then rsyncs it back to my local nas, and kills the ec2. the ec2 is operating for minutes a day so cheaper than spot or savings plans or scheduled scaling or even probably somehow jamming it into a fartgate

that something? eastenders episodes for my wife. hell yeah

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Gentle Autist posted:

that something? eastenders episodes for my wife. hell yeah

lmfao

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

why does this need a dockerfile with a shitload of dependencies, when @120 yt-dlp <a bunch of flags> in a crontab is all that's needed

i guess nobody noticed that freebsds crontab(5) has grown a few new options like @N to run N seconds after the last command completed and @every_minute or @every_second

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

why does this need a dockerfile with a shitload of dependencies, when @120 yt-dlp <a bunch of flags> in a crontab is all that's needed

i guess nobody noticed that freebsds crontab(5) has grown a few new options like @N to run N seconds after the last command completed and @every_minute or @every_second

it probably doesn't *need* to be a docker, it is just that the dev/jonny wanted people to actually be able to use the thing they made/suggested, so it is given in the most platform-agnostic zero-effort form currently available. notably listing how to do it on freebsd would have to come like 7th on a vast list of instructions.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

it probably doesn't *need* to be a docker, it is just that the dev/jonny wanted people to actually be able to use the thing they made/suggested, so it is given in the most platform-agnostic zero-effort form currently available. notably listing how to do it on freebsd would have to come like 7th on a vast list of instructions.
how is docker, a linux-exclusive feature, platform agnostic?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

docker runs on windows, macos and linux, which is all the operating systems.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

only the most retrograde linux users still use cron since systemd timers do this

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
lol @ people who wont install regular userland software somehow using docker effectively

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

idk ask the bsd thread

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

docker runs on windows, macos and linux, which is all the operating systems.
does docker run on windows and macos, or does windows and macos provide a hypervisor that can run linux as a virtual guest, which then runs docker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

does docker run on windows and macos, or does windows and macos provide a hypervisor that can run linux as a virtual guest, which then runs docker?

on windows it can run native, on osx it runs under hypervisor