Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mutata posted:

Why would you jump to that particular conclusion?

I realize you’ve been on this site for quite a while and I’m sure you know the answer to that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Clarste posted:

Doesn't Singapore subsidize game dev? It's probably a scam of some kind.

They are reportedly contractually obligated by the government to deliver a game

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Reminds me of a story. I used to contract for this tiny US based mobile game company where one guy was a Singapore national and this meant they came up with the brilliant idea to move the whole company including me from the US to Singapore for 6 months or something so they could get money from the government there to develop a game. Naturally the company wasn't offering to pay any kind of accommodations or travel expenses. Didn't end up going through with it fortunately.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Raven ain't the only QA team looking to unionise

PCGamer posted:

Days after Raven QA got the green light to go forward with their union vote, another QA unit working with a big developer has moved to unionize. This time, external contractors doing QA for Bioware have applied to the Alberta Labor Relations board to form a union. A representative of the group told Game Developer that its members could no longer bear "struggling to make ends meet" working on Bioware's games, and this sentiment was echoed in a similar report by Kotaku.

A notice regarding the application from the Alberta Labor Relations Board was first shared on Reddit several days ago. The QA unit in question consists of employees from an external company, Keywords Studios, who have been contracting with Bioware. These workers have contributed to QA on the Mass Effect Legendary Edition, The Old Republic: Legacy of the Sith, and the upcoming Dragon Age 4, and are being represented by the United Food and Commercial Workers Union.

In both the Kotaku and Game Developer stories, the Keywords QA representatives pointed to the contract company's return to office plan as a primary motivator for the union push. Keywords recently announced that all staff would be returning to office full time May 9, despite a concerning rate of new COVID-19 cases in Alberta and uncertainty regarding future outbreaks.

Full time Bioware staff, meanwhile, will continue to be allowed to flex between work-from-home and being in-office. This is not the only disparity between contract and full time staff: the representative who spoke to Game Developer claimed that the Keywords contractors had to report to work on days Bioware full-time staff had off, and both reports cited pay close to Canada's minimum wage of $15/hr ($11/hr US) as motivating factors for forming the union.

Despite working closely with Bioware on numerous projects, the worker speaking to Game Developer characterized their grievances as lying primarily with Keywords, claiming that "Our coworkers at BioWare have treated us really well, but we are obviously limited in our interactions by our contract."

The workers' representative speaking to both outlets seem confident in their ultimate success, and the workers only require a simple majority of "yes" votes from their organizing unit to form a union. The Alberta Labor Relations Board is set to complete its review of the workers' application by May 3, and, if approved, a vote will likely be held shortly thereafter.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Twitch is considering giving it's streamers a 20% paycut

https://kotaku.com/twitch-amazon-partner-program-streamers-pay-advertiseme-1848850800

quote:

One of the monetization changes under consideration is a revenue cut from subscriptions for partnered streamers, Twitch’s most popular streamers. The proposed cut would decrease the revenue partnered streamers make from subscriptions from 70% to 50%.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/1519667053283532801

This looks like it's going to be some interesting shitflinging, especially all that about being banned from responding or even 'liking' responses to the game. Let's see what Squenix does.

He's spot on about Square-Enix-the-company, or at least the head of it, not giving a poo poo about players and fans.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Worse than that; wouldn't going from 70 to 50% be a nearly 30% cut?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

taichara posted:

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/1519667053283532801

This looks like it's going to be some interesting shitflinging, especially all that about being banned from responding or even 'liking' responses to the game. Let's see what Squenix does.

He's spot on about Square-Enix-the-company, or at least the head of it, not giving a poo poo about players and fans.

The comments bring up some points like that Yuji Naka was basically ousted via mutiny, and apparently was known to be an rear end in a top hat back in the Sonic days. It sounds like Squeenix acted real weird about the game, though. Kind of a trend with them.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was the old story about feature creep and developer over-ambition conflicting with the publisher wanting a goddamn game to release.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Is that the guy who came up with the One Button Only, No Plot/Words In Game , and Exactly 80 Costumes things?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/MaxKriegerVG/status/1473358197675245571

letthemfight.gif

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Naka stories that might bear revisiting in the wake of this debacle: Prope

quote:

Prope Ltd. is a Japanese video game development studio founded by Yuji Naka, which now consists solely of himself.

Why does it now consist solely of himself? Well, there was this infamous debacle, Rodea the Sky Soldier, a game Prope was developing for the Wii that didn't release until a WiiU version by an entirely different team hit shelves, wherein the Wii version was added to first printings as a bonus disc. Somewhere during this tale of "I dunno, weird", every employee not named Yuji Naka found themselves without a job "since April 2017", and I believe that's the most we ever got on the record about this.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

The 50% cut is already the default for Twitch streamers. The only ones that get 70% of revenue are the really big ones with tons of viewers and subscribers, Twitch lets them renegotiate their contracts for a better cut if it likes them a lot and wants them to stick around. Most Twitch streamers are already only getting a 50/50 cut.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Scholtz posted:

Yeah, it's 29%.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have no problem reconciling that a director is a complete rear end in a top hat with Square Enix leadership making baffling choices to release unfinished games and muting feedback.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Scholtz posted:

Worse than I thought!

I wonder if this will cause any big streamers to go elsewhere, if there is even somewhere else to go

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Vizuyos posted:

The 50% cut is already the default for Twitch streamers. The only ones that get 70% of revenue are the really big ones with tons of viewers and subscribers, Twitch lets them renegotiate their contracts for a better cut if it likes them a lot and wants them to stick around. Most Twitch streamers are already only getting a 50/50 cut.

I'll note that it's not just huge streamers. I def know some smaller streamers with the 70%, but that might be more legacy.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Worse than I thought!

I wonder if this will cause any big streamers to go elsewhere, if there is even somewhere else to go
There are a few different options, but how much of their fanbase will make the move with them?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Disargeria posted:

Is that the guy who came up with the One Button Only, No Plot/Words In Game , and Exactly 80 Costumes things?

yeah, Naka may or may not have some legitimate grievances but "unfinished" doesn't really wash as an explanation for the game's quality, given that some of the most unpopular design decisions seem like things that would have had to be in place pretty early in the game's development

secretly best girl posted:

Naka stories that might bear revisiting in the wake of this debacle: Prope

Why does it now consist solely of himself? Well, there was this infamous debacle, Rodea the Sky Soldier, a game Prope was developing for the Wii that didn't release until a WiiU version by an entirely different team hit shelves, wherein the Wii version was added to first printings as a bonus disc. Somewhere during this tale of "I dunno, weird", every employee not named Yuji Naka found themselves without a job "since April 2017", and I believe that's the most we ever got on the record about this.

I had thought that Rodea Wii was shelved for years because it was produced at the very end of Wii's life span and the publisher didn't see it as profitable, but I wouldn't be surprised if Naka being difficult had something to do with it

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 28, 2022

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Fried Watermelon posted:

Worse than I thought!

The only real place to go is Youtube, and it has basically no monitization for streamers other then Superchats. And also lacks things like dedicated streamer advertisement, Raids, custom emotes, and other minor fun things like polls. Like if all you care about is streaming cause you get your money off patreon, or streaming art comissions and using the stream as advertisement, or streaming raw footage until you edit it into an actual video it's fine, but if you're looking to stream for money twitch was, and still is, the best bet.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Perhaps streamers will finally realise that they're not part of a wider, caring Twitch community, let alone partners, a word typically reserved for the owners of law firms.

They're patsies and the only relevant factor is whether Twitch thinks they'll earn more from skimming their income than they will spend to add them to the payment infrastructure.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

As things stand it’s a pretty thankless job with brutally long hours. Some unions in the EU are looking more closely at streaming though and governments are making noises about child labor and rights (a surprising number of under 18s’ earnings go to their parents) for both twitch and YouTube. But the gig economy is always going to be rough on the small fry.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Fried Watermelon posted:

Worse than I thought!

Twitch's standard 50/50 cut is already the worst revenue split across major streaming platforms. Youtube takes 30% of memberships, and Facebook Live takes 30% from subscriptions bought on mobile and 0% from subscriptions bought on desktop.

Even for big streamers, though, it can be tough to get the audience to move sites.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Tough is an understatement. In a lot of cases I believe it's been as much as 90-95% viewership losses from changing platforms. Youtube seems somewhat more forgiving to move to because at least its userbase is large, but even then people still usually lose almost their entire community

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can’t you stream to both at the same time?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MarcusSA posted:

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the big-time streamers have ironclad exclusivity contracts… and it’d be dead simple to prove that you broke it by multi-streaming.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Regalingualius posted:

Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the big-time streamers have ironclad exclusivity contracts… and it’d be dead simple to prove that you broke it by multi-streaming.

At least at the partner level Twitch absolutely has exclusivity built into the contracts they make you agree to. I distinctly remember several years ago when Vinesauce mentioned he had someone at Twitch remind him of this clause.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Tough is an understatement. In a lot of cases I believe it's been as much as 90-95% viewership losses from changing platforms. Youtube seems somewhat more forgiving to move to because at least its userbase is large, but even then people still usually lose almost their entire community

Twitch is known as "the streaming service". Most people don't know (or don't care) that Youtube even has the capacity to host streams, so streaming somewhere that isn't Twitch is going to have horrible ramifications on an established viewer base.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

No, there are exclusivity contracts and at least twitch very much does enforces them.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 29, 2022

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Most successful streamers will have a presence on both Twitch and Youtube: Twitch for longer form live content and YT for archived stream VODs/edited highlights or pre-recorded content. Youtube videos is generally the better way for content creators to attract new people since the videos are always accessible and are edited to have the most interesting bits of a stream.

Ardryn posted:

At least at the partner level Twitch absolutely has exclusivity built into the contracts they make you agree to. I distinctly remember several years ago when Vinesauce mentioned he had someone at Twitch remind him of this clause.
Yep you're remembering it correctly, here's the highlight of him talking about it. His partnership contract was updated in 2014 (without his knowledge) with a clause preventing him from livestreaming on other platforms. Twitch warned him in 2017 they were going to start enforcing it, likely due to Mixer which had just launched at the time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A lot of streamers double-dip by putting edited clips on youtube. There's also quite a few children-focused streamers who got their start on youtube and added streaming on twitch as their audience aged/broadened.

Edit: yeah, like Incendiac said

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Can they both cut your profit-sharing and keep you locked into exclusivity? That seems it would require you to resign the agreement since that's a very big change. Maybe they aren't too worried about it since where else are you going to go and still make a living?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

IncendiaC posted:

Most successful streamers will have a presence on both Twitch and Youtube: Twitch for longer form live content and YT for archived stream VODs/edited highlights or pre-recorded content. Youtube videos is generally the better way for content creators to attract new people since the videos are always accessible and are edited to have the most interesting bits of a stream.

The exclusivity is for streaming, not for literally everything yeah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TOOT BOOT posted:

Can they both cut your profit-sharing and keep you locked into exclusivity? That seems it would require you to resign the agreement since that's a very big change. Maybe they aren't too worried about it since where else are you going to go and still make a living?

My assumption would be people are free to switch to another streaming platform at any time, it's just if they do and get caught their Twitch accounts will get banned. That's based off my experience from streaming of a more, uh, adult nature but I imagine the legalities are the same

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kith posted:

Twitch is known as "the streaming service". Most people don't know (or don't care) that Youtube even has the capacity to host streams, so streaming somewhere that isn't Twitch is going to have horrible ramifications on an established viewer base.

This was true at one point, but by this point it isn't true at all. Youtube streaming has been growing enormously in the last couple of years and several of the most watched streamers in the world in terms of hours are youtube exclusive.

Mostly it's just viewerbase comfort. If you establish yourself on one platform, you build an audience from a pool that is comfortable with using that platform, and getting them to follow you to other platforms is going to lose you tons of eyeballs who can't be bothered to use something different. We've seen this kind of thing happen all the way back to TV shows, when even very successful shows that suddenly changed networks or time slots would have their ratings tank. People are creatures of habit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

No, there are exclusivity contracts and at least twitch very much does enforces them.

That might be changing under this new deal actually.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

You can, I'm currently watching a PUBG competition where its both on YT and Twitch at the same time.
It maybe different for corps rather than solo streamers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I have no problem reconciling that a director is a complete rear end in a top hat with Square Enix leadership making baffling choices to release unfinished games and muting feedback.

Baffling choices all around is the watchword with Balan Wonderworld. Starting to explain a lot about the history of 3D Sonic games.

The story I'm getting a feel for is that Squeenix put a lot of trust in him apparently being the only one who knows how to make platformers or something, and he rapidly pissed it all away, because they don't put up with his poo poo like Sega has for so long.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Trusting the guy who made Sonic 2006 sounds like a bad call

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

happyhippy posted:

You can, I'm currently watching a PUBG competition where its both on YT and Twitch at the same time.
It maybe different for corps rather than solo streamers.

It also depends on your outgoing bandwidth, connection stability and if you're willing to pay buttheads like Streamlabs to handle the multistream for you. And then there's chat complications if you interact with chat, etc.

Rarity posted:

Trusting the guy who made Sonic 2006 sounds like a bad call

Eh, he's pretty 50/50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's hard to tell just from the titles, but it looks like Sonic 2006 is the game he took on the most lead roles for though.