Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

akadajet posted:

in the mid-90's? rough

we got an IBM PC XT Model 286 in 1988. With VGA! (There were no VGA games available.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sapozhnik posted:

Try Parrying

that's what the messages say but I suck at it. I've cheesed the game with 100 Phys resist shields and stabby weapons to let me block attack and turtle it

do I need to.......git gud?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if you can’t parry, spirit ash

if the spirit ash can’t, summon

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the spirit ash is willing, but the parry is weak, and spongy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that's what the messages say but I suck at it. I've cheesed the game with 100 Phys resist shields and stabby weapons to let me block attack and turtle it

do I need to.......git gud?

You may want to find a solitary Crucible Knight someplace else to practice but none of them respawn after being defeated.

Gostoc (the shifty dude in Stormveil who's stamping on Godrick's head after Godrick is defeated) sells a parrying shield which has extremely generous parry frames. Get that then just ... press L2 instead of dodging. The sword swings are very smooth and have plenty of windup. Just make sure they're actually swinging their swords first as opposed to doing a shield bash or a quake stomp.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i just beat the real godfry and then went down below and got hugged by a spicy master hand. then the girl who i said was gonna be my waifu became my waifu and immediately broke into flames and died. then my side waifu appeared to tell me she's breaking up with me. the maidenless virgin one-ups himself once again :reject:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yo there's a new zach gage game out called knotwords and it's loving fantastic, kind of crossword sudoku but better.

its free with no ads for daily puzzle, annual sub or one time for archives. you can also get it on steam or even android this time, but just like all his other ones it has really good haptics so iphone is what i'd recommend. cloud save is coming in the first patch. just get it

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

chaosbreather posted:

yo there's a new zach gage game out called knotwords and it's loving fantastic, kind of crossword sudoku but better.

its free with no ads for daily puzzle, annual sub or one time for archives. you can also get it on steam or even android this time, but just like all his other ones it has really good haptics so iphone is what i'd recommend. cloud save is coming in the first patch. just get it

I find it kind of boring. like “Good Sudoku” it kind of misses the mark in a hard to pin-down way.

I had a similar problem with cards of darkness… which was mostly saved by Pendleton ward’s art

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thinkin about Car Wars and scott adam's adventure games in the ti994a

pirate adventure owned

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sapozhnik posted:

You may want to find a solitary Crucible Knight someplace else to practice but none of them respawn after being defeated.

Gostoc (the shifty dude in Stormveil who's stamping on Godrick's head after Godrick is defeated) sells a parrying shield which has extremely generous parry frames. Get that then just ... press L2 instead of dodging. The sword swings are very smooth and have plenty of windup. Just make sure they're actually swinging their swords first as opposed to doing a shield bash or a quake stomp.

ah I didn't realise that the different shield types had actual parry window differences! Idk what I thought they did but I'm gonna guess the big rear end brass shield I've been using is probably not great for it!

also I think I did a load of stuff backwards because I gave Ranni the knife from the city of whatever after I'd already been through the river basin so now the normal triggers on the quest are all out of whack or something, it's super confusing.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ah I didn't realise that the different shield types had actual parry window differences! Idk what I thought they did but I'm gonna guess the big rear end brass shield I've been using is probably not great for it!

also I think I did a load of stuff backwards because I gave Ranni the knife from the city of whatever after I'd already been through the river basin so now the normal triggers on the quest are all out of whack or something, it's super confusing.

I think you're good - you're supposed to go through Siofra River at any time. The Eternal City is only reachable once you're at that part in the Ranni quest and that's where the knife is.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i am finally at the altus plateau

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i am finally at the altus plateau

persona 3 or 4?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i am finally playing the dlc for horizon zero dawn almost exactly 5 years after i beat the main game

it's ok i guess, i just want to play it before playing forbidden west. at least i'm level 50

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yup

I loved overwatch because of the synergies you could get going. Enabling your teammates and being rewarded for playing as a team via ability management and synchronisation was fun as hell, and now it looks/feels like a street brawl where whoever’s tank dies first probably wins the fight.

you would think moving to one tank would slow the fights down since your tank needs to press S way more often to stay alive, but instead since it now fully caters to DPS mains, you just melt and die

I haven’t actually played so this take may be incorrect, but this is just based on watching some streams

i like overwatch for similar reasons, so i hope they find new ways to bring in the concepts and ideas we both like, or at least keep working on it and don't just give up

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i like overwatch for similar reasons, so i hope they find new ways to bring in the concepts and ideas we both like, or at least keep working on it and don't just give up

:same:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

a trick to parrying I learned is to press the button when you see them move their foot forward to take the swing. most enemies will broadcast that tell very obviously

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Another useful trick from DS2 that Elden Ring restored: stand in front of a wall and parry. There will be a clunk noise and a spark on the first active parry frame. This can help you to understand the timing.

Unfortunately ripostes have been nerfed into the ground in ER. It's probably because of PvP, because ripostes are usually one hit kills in previous games. But in ER it's rather silly, you do more damage with a charged R2 than with a riposte.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Kenny Logins posted:

i am finally playing the dlc for horizon zero dawn almost exactly 5 years after i beat the main game

it's ok i guess, i just want to play it before playing forbidden west. at least i'm level 50

Really? I loving loved it and did the same thing right before FW came out.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Crow posted:

Really? I loving loved it and did the same thing right before FW came out.
i'm not that far into it just yet. i have an open heart

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I thought the daemonic enemies in the hzd expansion were less enjoyable because they were mainly just extra tanky. The lore pickups and some of the landscapes are really cool though. (Even if the plot is a little… flat feeling after the main campaign)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the plot is the most RPG plot ever

"may I go through that door? it's really important"

"no, only the chief of the tribe may go through that door"

*becomes chief of the tribe*

"now may I go through the door?"

"...yes"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

I thought the daemonic enemies in the hzd expansion were less enjoyable because they were mainly just extra tanky. The lore pickups and some of the landscapes are really cool though. (Even if the plot is a little… flat feeling after the main campaign)
yeah it's hard to top the main story. also you can't override anything? good thing i have the summon mount skill. even if i only took it at like level 48 lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

haveblue posted:

the plot is the most RPG plot ever

"may I go through that door? it's really important"

"no, only the chief of the tribe may go through that door"

*becomes chief of the tribe*

"now may I go through the door?"

"...yes"
plot is not super typical, i enjoyed it for being some surprisingly deece sci-fi. the pacing is extremely rpg though, and your example definitely falls under that

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nintendo switch sports is out and all i want to do is virtual bowl

it was my least consistent experience on wii sports, so I'm happy they cleaned it up. it feels like they got rid of finicky button presses and the improvements in the controllers pay off merely by not worrying about ir alignment and distance

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol when you are comfortable taking down all the main H:ZD robots without too much sweat and then you waltz into the snowy mountains and meet the scorchers and frostclaws :eyepoop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah compared to the base game the frozen wilds has no qualms about kicking aloy's rear end right back off those mountains

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Ciaphas posted:

yeah compared to the base game the frozen wilds has no qualms about kicking aloy's rear end right back off those mountains

I think the fight design is pretty boring, though... the fights are just long.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

beaten elden ring. take that miyazaki you pos

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

chaosbreather posted:

Just got mrs cockatrice into this. It's pretty fun.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

beaten elden ring. take that miyazaki you pos

nice

Finally beat commander Niall with the help of some saint dressed as an alien. Hardest boss yet imo, and not particularly fun. Engaging in melee just felt impossible.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Agile Vector posted:

nintendo switch sports is out and all i want to do is virtual bowl

it was my least consistent experience on wii sports, so I'm happy they cleaned it up. it feels like they got rid of finicky button presses and the improvements in the controllers pay off merely by not worrying about ir alignment and distance

how much room do you need and do you just use the joycons? there’s no ir camera or anything to set up?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sapozhnik posted:

good game purchasing platform

no such thing. just pirate pc games you rube

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honestly these days it's easier to buy than pirate a game. It would have been easy to pirate the PC version of Star Wars Racer, for instance, but it was even easier to open up GoG Galaxy and click Buy > Install and it cost me less than lunch.

Back in the day when you had to slowly install a game from six CDs and swap discs all the time and it would install StarForce root kits and poo poo, yeah, pirating was the right way to go. Today no. Steam, Game Pass, and GoG have figured out how to do it right. Like Spotify did for music.

Pirating video games today is for kids who have no money and also can't wait for the hot new garbage they want to play to go on sale.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
video games are one of the few things that have a more or less pro-consumer market these days and it would be a shame to see that go. even then i have to qualify that with a big asterisk because steam does not allow you to resell games from your library. it does do a lot to keep prices down though and it is one central and convenient marketplace where basically every title on the platform can be found.

i have no idea why so many people are lining up to make the gamepass subscription service poo poo successful but the only conclusion i can draw is that they are very stupid. sure can't wait for the one subscription service to inevitably become a dozen subscription services that things appear and disappear and move across constantly like how music and streaming tv works now.

and egs sadly is a very smart play that is inevitably going to succeed. 30-40 year olds like us are not the target market at all, we already have large steam libraries. teenagers don't have an anything library, so timmy sweeney is giving them a few dozen free games to start an egs library with so they'll become lifetime customers who also want all their games in one library (i.e. egs). like you said, teenagers can't afford any games because a lot of them don't even have access to payment methods, so this is a massive lifetime customer base that's up for grabs with only a modest initial investment.

as for the whole 30% cut thing i really couldn't give a poo poo less about how much unearned income a store gets versus how much unearned income a publisher gets. i really have zero interest in how this pie of unearned income is cut between two financial vehicles that have done nothing to earn that income.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i used to pirate a ton of games when I was a teen, back when they shipped on several discs. the first time I could download a fully patched game from steam faster than it took to install from physical media, i never looked back. valve made a lot of missteps over the years but thankfully they never really hosed up steam. it’s pretty cool that i can still get my nostalgia fix by clicking to download a game and have it running in less time than it takes me to make my sunday morning coffee.

sure there are a lot of AAA titles that don’t deserve their price tag, but there’s way too many other good games from smaller studios to even consider playing the bad ones.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

things like game pass make me feel gross for ways I can’t really articulate. yeah its nice to be able to try out a new game without paying the full retail price, but it sort of devalues games as a whole and lumps them in with other passive forms of media consumption.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gamepass rules

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

i have no idea why so many people are lining up to make the gamepass subscription service poo poo successful but the only conclusion i can draw is that they are very stupid. sure can't wait for the one subscription service to inevitably become a dozen subscription services that things appear and disappear and move across constantly like how music and streaming tv works now.

lol, this is the dumbest take. game pass is a great deal *now*, and steam is not some loving charity you're getting good-boy points for sponsoring. i too predict that subscriptions will get worse in the future, but you're the idiot trying to imagine you have some ongoing allegiance to tend to with these companies.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bump_fn posted:

how much room do you need and do you just use the joycons? there’s no ir camera or anything to set up?

you only need about as far as your arms extend. occasionally it'll ask you to either point the joycon at the screen or place on a table to calibrate, depending on the sport, but that's the extent of it

the soccer game will support the ringfit leg strap eventually ($10 individually?) for penalty kicks. that's coming late 2022, but yep no additional setup required