Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Looks about what I expected as well. For me personally most of my issues can be fixed with mods anyway, and I still have Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch and Kislev to play as before then.

Speaking of mods, the Climate Adaption(https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2793731221&searchtext=climate) mod have been really great for conquering the Chaos Wastes as Cathay so far! For every turn you own a orange/red territory it removes a percentage of the negatives until they are gone, loosing and then reconquering it resets it. For me it's a nice middle ground between always horrible and everything is green forever. My one wish is it would remove chaos waste attrition after full acclimation as well so that you can clean it out completely :v:

There is a different version with faster timers as well if you feel the original one is too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I legit think a large part of that roadmap's problem is in communication, not content. Like, don't put a big old "NOTHING" in June, just leave it blank, and by singling out the replenishment changes, it gives the rabids something to latch onto for ridicule. Meanwhile the fixes in 1.3 look fairly substantial, are coming soon, and will include new content, but that's been drowned out by the other stuff.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What they don’t say is that three of the four new champions are the Glottkin :haw:

No mention of that one tech giving every Khorne unit vanguard deployment, which I think they should fix now that I’m finished benefiting from it to get the legendary campaign cheevo. It might fall under then general tech tree fix they’re working on.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Old Woman Island posted:

Oh there was this also

This is fairly reasonable, and makes sense considering how much they had/have to fix in the base game before they can really move forward. More content and updates in most months, and the blog post is pretty meaty. There is obviously still some chaos going on behind the scenes, but it appears to be improving. Not ideal, but anyone expecting them to hard pivot into fixing the game in a single quarter has zero idea what goes into game or software development at this scale anyways. If its not enough for you yet to purchase, that's fine, but damning them for not fixing everything immediately is just unreasonable.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

there's that fuckin word again

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Twigand Berries posted:

there's that fuckin word again
Yeah, gotta be the Chaos power hour, bring 'em closer to parity with the humies.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

It releases at the same moment as the Warriors of Chaos rework and I am not familiar with Daemons being called Champions in lore but maybe wrong about that?

What I'm saying is get your Valkia titty mods ready

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Taintedbalance posted:

This is fairly reasonable, and makes sense considering how much they had/have to fix in the base game before they can really move forward. More content and updates in most months, and the blog post is pretty meaty. There is obviously still some chaos going on behind the scenes, but it appears to be improving. Not ideal, but anyone expecting them to hard pivot into fixing the game in a single quarter has zero idea what goes into game or software development at this scale anyways. If its not enough for you yet to purchase, that's fine, but damning them for not fixing everything immediately is just unreasonable.

All the b*tching and moaning makes little sense. We finally have a roadmap, the game is being worked on, and we know it's going to be real, real good in the long run, probably better than W2. If people are really still mad about the current state of the game, just go play W2 Mortal Empires until more stuff gets released.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mordja posted:

I legit think a large part of that roadmap's problem is in communication, not content. Like, don't put a big old "NOTHING" in June, just leave it blank, and by singling out the replenishment changes, it gives the rabids something to latch onto for ridicule.
I had a WTF reaction at the big "NOTHING". But I think it's actually good of CA to set expectations properly. The Pontus meme exists for a reason: The rabid parts of the fanbase will go crazy no matter what CA says.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My only complaint is that the Daemon Prince's name is now Daniel, not Mithridates

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think things like the NOTHING and the replenishment are partially jokes. Although nothing in June is hopefully because they’re all going on vacation or something.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I don't get what the hell is with the replenishment thingy. Why wouldn't that be a part of the tech/skill tree rework that will supposedly be earlier?

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
The dev message itself more or less throws the original dev team under the bus. This is basically a FFXIV 1.0 situation where the DLC director has probably spent this time just cataloguing everything that's hosed and now has the unenviable task of spending six months trying to fix it while desperately trying to keep people happy putting out what new content he can in the meantime.

Everyone making excuses for how hard it must be to make so many settlement maps and map changes and animations for blood dlc are... completely correct, but it's not an excuse for taking nearly a year to finish the game, it's a damning indictment of how bad the project management on the original game must have been. Chaos Realms were a lot of work for something that actively makes the game worse, of course, but they just did not have the resources for what they promised. Eight races is a lot, but they aren't finished, with tiny rosters and one dimensional mechanics. The siege overhaul is a massive undertaking, but it's pretty half-baked, doesn't address the core problems, and is actively worse for a decent number of people. People would have been happier had they done fewer things better.

I understand why they didn't do this after the Norsca debacle, but man, most of Warhammer 3 should have been Warhammer 2 DLC. Expand the map, add the non-chaos factions as DLC, have Immortal Empires 80% done by the time Realms of Chaos launched, flesh that out with the WH2 lords already on the map. Something to break the project down into smaller chunks they could actually complete.

If you personally are still having fun, that's great. I mean that. But for the contrarian dipshits, the numbers don't lie. More people *are* playing WH2 than 3, and fewer are playing both combined than they did for most of WH2's lifespan. Many content creators have gone back to WH2, and those that try to support both see more engagement on the WH2 content. These aren't just the rabid fans you see on steam reviews, reddit shitposts, and forums who are angry about the game, it's the people who just don't care, aren't having fun, and have moved on.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Given CA's habit of winks and nudges I'm gonna believe that the awkward "Nothing." in June is actually the release of the Evil Arghys (Chorfs obvs). I'm sure I'm wrong but whatever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Chaos Realms in TWW3 make me feel kind of sad. They're an artistic triumph and clearly involved an absolutely enormous titanic shitpile of work...and you're encouraged to interact with them as little as possible by a combination of stacking scaling debuffs and having to race the AI through them, and ultimately all that deeply impressive audiovisual work was farted out the window on a game mechanic that almost no one seems to like.

I'd be super depressed if I were one of the dudes who spent hundreds of hours lovingly modeling and detailing skull fountains vomiting blood or the plague fungus in nurgle's realm.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I quit playing the game entirely upon entering Tzeentch's realm and being unable to parse anything because my graphics card is old, my resolution kinda low, and the huge amount of garbage on the screen.

Sure, they put a lot of work into it but the art direction produced something unpleasant to look at. The only good thing about the chaos realms is they helped me realize I wasn't having fun and should just stop playing.

edit: One could argue that "headache inducing" is working as intended. People are already defending waiting 6 months for replenishment fixes so I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 29, 2022

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Kanos posted:

The Chaos Realms in TWW3 make me feel kind of sad. They're an artistic triumph and clearly involved an absolutely enormous titanic shitpile of work...and you're encouraged to interact with them as little as possible by a combination of stacking scaling debuffs and having to race the AI through them, and ultimately all that deeply impressive audiovisual work was farted out the window on a game mechanic that almost no one seems to like.

I'd be super depressed if I were one of the dudes who spent hundreds of hours lovingly modeling and detailing skull fountains vomiting blood or the plague fungus in nurgle's realm.

The art assets being fantastic while the map design sucks rear end and makes auto-resolving the preferred route to go in the chaos realms is also just a sad way to wrap up some really impressive asset creation.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

KPC_Mammon posted:

I quit playing the game entirely upon entering Tzeentch's realm and being unable to parse anything because my graphics card is old, my resolution kinda low, and the huge amount of garbage on the screen.

Sure, they put a lot of work into it but the art direction produced something unpleasant to look at. The only good thing about the chaos realms is they helped me realize I wasn't having fun and should just stop playing.

edit: One could argue that "headache inducing" is working as intended. People are already defending waiting 6 months for replenishment fixes so I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Not to be rude but this seems like a you problem, you can accuse the Chaos realms of many things but 'being ugly' isn't one of them. They're some of the most beautiful and detail rich maps that CA has ever put out, thats part of the problem. They spent so much time on something that you don't interact with nearly enough to justify that effort and included game mechanics that punish you for interacting with them on top of that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

drat that's really bad.
I agree with people that theyr buckling down and working but I also agree with that post above about how it now seems that they took a primitive version of warhammer 2 and most of the work done ended up making the game worse and they now have to both catch up to warhammer 2 (a lesson they said they'd learned already and wouldn't repeat) and also undo/mitigate a lot of the development they have done.

Never mind the chaos wastes, seiges and minor settlement stuff which are all new systems that took a long time and largely were steps back that any TW fan could have warned them about in advance. (wait so you're reducing the number of field battles and making seiges depend more on AI pathfinding? And you're buffing siege towers and making them omnipresent and respawn? )
Even just the basic battle engine is way worse at the fundamentals of total war combat. Even with loads of mods as soon as I zoom in and see how broken the units behaviour is I completely lose interest.

I dunno, this sucks. Although I'm not fully doom and gloom I don't think it's a given this game is gonna eventually be as good as warhammer 2 which seems to be the hope everyone is hanging onto.
Making games is hard, sometimes you work really hard and things just don't come together in a fun way.

Also blood dlc being so far away is a personal attack on me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

The art assets being fantastic while the map design sucks rear end and makes auto-resolving the preferred route to go in the chaos realms is also just a sad way to wrap up some really impressive asset creation.
Yeah, I'm hoping someone can create some fun stuff using the assets. Thinking about a few more durable portals and being able to travel through the Realms in IE instead of just insta-teleporting.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm still hopeful that it'll turn into the game we all wanted it to be down the line, but I think I'm pretty much ready to accept it if that doesn't happen too. 2 being much better than 1 created the expectation that 3 would be an improvement too, even if having less room to improve meant it might take a while to get there, but the core team definitely left a bigger hole to dig out of than they did last time. If the DLC team gets there again, great--I'll be first in line to play. But if they don't, that's life.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Blood pack in August, IE not even this year... even my most pessimistic estimates were way off. The skeleton crew has taken over the project already.

Here's to hoping the next TW is Medieval 3, and they don't gently caress it up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Double Bill posted:

Blood pack in August, IE not even this year...

That's still this year.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I really dislike the Chaos realms, I don't know how they're ever going to make that "fun" to go through. The art design is off the charts but they're loving miserable to interact with. I get that it's thematically accurate, unfortunately I already have one lovely job to deal with in life and I'm not looking for more in my leisure time.

The roadmap is fine, I am nursing tennis elbow for awhile anyway so whatever but a lot of this stuff was so obvious and that's why many people are frustrated.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

We all knew it was gonna take time but we all remember TW2 launch and thought they'd loving learn. If the games not dead then they aren't hurting for money so why not release it in early access until shits launch ready? It's at best a beta considering 3 months out they're still doing major bug fixes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Because we bought it and it’s “fine”

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also no mention of chorfs at all so I think we're probably looking at Q2 20233 for the hatmen at least.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Twigand Berries posted:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/twwh3-roadmap-2022/

There's this to read. I thought the pictures looked fake lol

isn't a sign of schizophrenia randomly changing how you write

with all the bold and italics in there, I am worried for their blog poster

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

isn't a sign of schizophrenia randomly changing how you write

with all the bold and italics in there, I am worried for their blog poster

They italicized titles and bolded buzzwords.

Have you not read an online article since... the internet began?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Hating the realms of chaos, like even being there so not mentioning the things like it disrupting your empire goals or the like, doesn't make any sense to me unless it is something unique to the human factions. It's just a long line of field battles. I guess I'm just drawn to the factions that just cheat the gently caress out of things like movement range or replenishment which this game has a few.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Blooming Brilliant posted:

They italicized titles and bolded buzzwords.

Have you not read an online article since... the internet began?

I have, and they are uh.. not this excessive normally

but thanks

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Part of the issue is that even ignoring the major issues there's so many minor things wrong with the game that should never have been in it to begin with, or minor fixes that should have been done months ago because they should literally be just changes to numbers on a spreadsheet. Like, why the hell does Cathay have not one but TWO technologies on their tech tree involving ports when there's literally not a single one anywhere near them? You can say it's for Immortal Empires when they'll presumably get a coast, but in that case that's the kind of loving thing you add when you actually add that feature, not months previously taking up space. Or why are towers still bugged - and I don't mean AI build time, I mean major settlement wall towers are currently bugged to have the wrong towers at the wrong settlement levels (something modders HAVE fixed, and quickly) because someone screwed up and put in the wrong values.

Like, I can understand it taking a while for actual major changes due to just how many variables there are to consider as well as the code likely being complete spaghetti at this point, but CA just seems completely adverse to mini-patches to stamp out bugs that should take basically no time at all to fix.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by another developer that released a game with quite a few bugs on release, but has been extremely diligent in both constantly working to stamp them out as well as keeping in touch with the community, even while working on additions and currently being in a far worse overall work environment than any CA studio.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 29, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am glad that they are finally doing something about bright snow. I am confused to why it took them this long. Their art team that works on the world maps and battle maps need to redo a lot of poo poo or stop adding so many effects.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Taking until Q3 to address replenishment is the funniest part of the roadmap.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I turn off settlement battles for a single reason. When the AI retreats in a field battle, they tend to retreat away from your army towards the board edge. In a settlement battle, they have a tendency to run towards the closest board edge, through your troops, causing them to lose their orders. And it's absolute silence on that end.

Also the bug from 2 persists where the game seems to select from a more limited database on each campaign run. This persists through character names, starting traits, items received. Basically all the random poo poo. I noticed this happening in 2 and have confirmed it with 3 by just restarting so many campaigns lol. An example of what occurs is in starting traits. Certain traits will occur over and over in a campaign while others mysteriously never appear. Next campaign, it's a different set of traits but still restricted. So rather than having access to all the items and traits and ogre big names and character names and I'm pretty sure scripted events as well for your particular faction, you are only getting a subset each campaign. I mod my way out of this by using item generators due to certain beloved item drops never occurring in a particular campaign. Just five lichebone pendants in a loving row. And a billion Evelina Bubchucks. And an ogre campaign without a single boommaster trait on either Tyants or Hunters. I sometimes scan the starting traits available on my Lords on turn 1 and if I don't see any of my favorites in the pool I just restart.

Anybody else notice this? Like I would restart Drycha campaigns if I didn't get the magic resist debuff branchwraith because I would cycle through thousands of gold of branchwraiths and never see it. Not once.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Third World Reagan posted:

I have, and they are uh.. not this excessive normally

but thanks

It is in fact extraordinarily weird to speculate on mental illness over an incredibly run of the mill press release.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am fine with the Roadmap.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mods???

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am too, to be honest. They correctly identified, and will hopefully satisfyingly fix, the most pressing issues and there is some interesting content already in the works (the Chaos Warrior rework and the Lord packs). The release schedule is super slow and the game is not in good state right now, but meh, this won't be neither my first, nor my longest, break from Total War: Warhmmer. :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I'm going to wildly speculate that the Chaos Realms are integrated into IE somehow, either as a side objective or as the endgame crisis equivalent to the previous games chaos invasion, and they're trying to work out how to break the news gently.